Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
My family actually has a long running joke of saying "Billy, get in the boat!" when shows are taking way too long and repeating themselves.

Back in the 80s, there was a soap opera comic strip with some teenage side characters, one of whom was named Billy. They were on some adventure and escaping evildoers or something, and came to a point where they had to get into a boat on a dangerous river to get to safety. Anyway, it took about three drat weeks for Billy to get in the boat.

Damned if I can remember what the strip is, but "Billy, get in the boat!" will live on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

Lmao this is so good. I think I remember a spiderman(?) parody along these lines too where the pacing was moving glacially slow and the characters noticed and were weirded out by it.

I really love the extra detail of the character who is seemingly black having the same colored skin as the white teacher in the Sunday strip. Sunday colorists can differ from newspaper to newspaper and have no communication with the original artist (maybe that's changed since but that's what I heard in the past), and thus notoriously often get colors (including skintones) horribly wrong.

And the loving blue and yellow in the last panel that every loving newspaper comic uses for dramatic shots.

You can tell this person loves newspaper comics a lot from a detail like that. A loving parody.

The Sunday strip is so good. Some newspapers would cut off the entire top row of Sunday strips, so most newspaper comics make it superfluous / contain extra, non-necessary details. Once you know this it becomes super obvious in most comics. Dewey's Sunday strip makes sure that even if the top row of panels was cut off, it STILL is redundant with the previous day's strip lmao

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Phew, for a second there I thought something might happen.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

RocketMermaid posted:

Next update: "Is that Ysengrin?!"
Following update: [second establishing shot]
Following update: "Oh no, that's Ysengrin!"
Following update: [Kat] "Did you say Ysengrin?!"

Splicer posted:

Following update: "New people, this is Ysengrin"
Following update: "New people, Ysengrin is..."

oh god dammit

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Note Block posted:

oh god dammit

Yeah I thought of these immediately lmao

That said, it's not too terrible. Like I've had less complaints about these last few strips because at least they're pretty and going... somewhere. But it would've been vastly superior to just say "Now this is more familiar." rather than assuming the reader has no idea that's Ysengrin or his forest.

Also man I cannot believe this thread made me miss newspaper comics of all things.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 6, 2023

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Annie is literally leading the new people through the desert to the promised land. The metaphors are so thick you can cut it.

Somehow it’s very boring.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The next comic will have them leave the forest and Reynard will ask "Was that Ysengrin's forest?', won't it?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
My bet for the next page is one of the new people asking about the forest/him,

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This is like The Stone except it's the end of the comic and no-one cares.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i cannot believe just how much nothing happened

what was the loving point of the teleport stunt if now they're just gonna WALK OVER THERE

how does this comic continue to shock me

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
We're not moving at all! We need to think of a way to move without moving! Wow! It worked! In this world, we travel through the symbolism of associative ideas! Okay let's walk some more.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
It's weird how it feels like we're meandering and rushing at the same time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm honestly curious if Tom scripted the chapter to be this... meandering, or if it's just reached the point where he has no idea how to continue his story so he's just throwing pretty art together to fill time while he scrambled.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that gaggle of nothings just dangling off the corner of every panel

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Randalor posted:

I'm honestly curious if Tom scripted the chapter to be this... meandering, or if it's just reached the point where he has no idea how to continue his story so he's just throwing pretty art together to fill time while he scrambled.

I'm actually pretty fine with that. I would much prefer a bunch of good Tom art pages that don't further the plot than a bunch of 10 of the same faces pages that explain the plot happening offscreen.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Maldraedior posted:

I'm actually pretty fine with that. I would much prefer a bunch of good Tom art pages that don't further the plot than a bunch of 10 of the same faces pages that explain the plot happening offscreen.

let me know when he starts drawing those

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Annie has been shown to struggle with tech specifically when it comes up. Kat straight up mentions the robot example you mentioned in one chapter and Annie says "nah I don't know what the gently caress".

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=419

Ah I forgot that part. You're right then. Yeah then it makes no sense for Annie to understand what Kat is saying there. Oh well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Randalor posted:

He obviously has SOMETHING in mind with the whole scenario of Annie leading the new people around. I'm withholding judgment until that plays out, but my instincts say we won't like it.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It’s kind of sad we don’t have anything from the new people beyond “follows her like sheep through centerpieces.” No names, no personalities, no real dialogue… this could have at least introduced us to their culture, contextualised Lana better, etc. and make us care at all about the danger they’re in here but nope. Background NPCs here to say “look out!”

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This honestly could have been a good time for a plot recap of Annie explaining to the Numen just who Coyote, Ysengrin and Loup are while all this is going on, with the landscape around them changing to reflect what Annie's talking about. The giant wolf in the woods would have been perfect for her talking about her first impression of Ysengrin as this larger-than-life protector of the woods.

Just a "Listen, this is a long-rear end comic, here's the important plot beats I want you to remember going into the conclusion of the story" matter.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

coolusername posted:

It’s kind of sad we don’t have anything from the new people beyond “follows her like sheep through centerpieces.” No names, no personalities, no real dialogue… this could have at least introduced us to their culture, contextualised Lana better, etc. and make us care at all about the danger they’re in here but nope. Background NPCs here to say “look out!”

It reminds me of a book I read where the author lumped a bunch of characters into one group, just "The Uncles" and thought that would be good enough. Then 300 pages later one of The Uncles became a major character and provided a bunch of support and advice to the POV character, but was still just "one of The Uncles" because it would have been awkward to give this one guy a name this far into the book. Like the authorial version of being introduced to someone, forgetting their name, then hanging out for so long that it becomes too awkward to ask for their name and now you just have to hope that someone mentions their name.

Or maybe that is what has happened to Antimony. She has been introduced to all these former robots but hasn't remembered any of their names and now can't bring herself to ask.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The pages look very nice but this whole Zimmy digression makes me remember the last time big poo poo happened in Zimmy World on that cruise ship, and how much more exciting that was to see Annie and her classmates team up while Rey called in the Robot King and their reinforcements. It's so much more satisfying in a big climactic moment to have named characters you're attached to around besides Annie and Rey, contributing, interacting, putting themselves in harm's way so you have little moments of "oh no I hope they're okay!" etc.

Like maybe there is going to be some dramatic reason Annie's leading 20 or 30 nameless Newmans around and they play some vital role in resolving this, but even if they do the lead up's not terribly exciting.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

coolusername posted:

It's wild that we know almost nothing about them either as individuals or as a collective. Like, compare their characterization to the tree elves from Annie in the Forrest, who got a fraction of the screen time but were much more vivid in their rendering. Meanwhile, the new people feel like cardboard extras tossed in to liven up the background.

Edit: Have we gotten a single name for any of them besides Lana?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 8, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Nuns with Guns posted:

20 or 30 nameless Newmans

Man it's gonna be sooo awkward when Annie finds out they could've used a telepipe this whole time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy McPants posted:

It's wild that we know almost nothing about them either as individuals or as a collective. Like, compare their characterization to the tree elves from Annie in the Forrest, who got a fraction of the screen time but were much more vivid in their rendering. Meanwhile, the new people feel like cardboard extras tossed in to liven up the background.

I don't remember, did we ever see the one from the ocean chapter again?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't remember, did we ever see the one from the ocean chapter again?

The like, clever reveal would be for that to have been Lana or something but like, no I'm pretty sure the character who was the focus point of an entire chapter was quietly brushed away never to be seen again, to make room for a different character in the same situation as them but without any expressed interiority besides "I've decided I love Loup, woops I'm dead" and I'll be honest that's not very interior in any way other than inside Coyote's stomach,

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There were a lot of theories Jerrek was the bot from the ocean, but lol

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

There were a lot of theories Jerrek was the bot from the ocean, but lol

I definitely thought that too at first when he mentioned pipes, and I remember feeling such a tiny spark of joy that we were about to see some consequences around all the new people. Buuuuuut it was Loup instead.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
They're all dead, aren't they. Everyone, the nupeople, the elves, Rey, Annie, dead. All sense of urgency and forward motion has completely dissipated and it's become The Five Hundred Boring Assholes You Meet in Heaven.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Gonerkrigg Court

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

They're all dead, aren't they. Everyone, the nupeople, the elves, Rey, Annie, dead. All sense of urgency and forward motion has completely dissipated and it's become The Five Hundred Boring Assholes You Meet in Heaven.

From psychopomp to psychopaaarrp

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

The elf people and the robot people will be combined, somehow, into a new group of people. It will become clear that the 2 Annies existing and getting recombined will only have happened to set this up. Somehow, this will be the culmination of the comic. Somehow, the comic will act like it's a satisfying culmination to all the forest vs. court, Annie vs. Kat stuff implied since the beginning but never really thematically set up. Probably Lana's essence will still exist, somehow, in the zimmyote space, and will combine with Loup's to form some new god-being or something. It will also probably ignore that Shadow and Robot were probably supposed to be the romeo and juliet in this situation at some point until they were surgically removed from the comic (especially Shadow, Robot still shows up once in a blue moon to act creepy as hell in a way that will probably never be explained).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ah, the Mass Effect 3

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm glad Reynard told us the elves were more comfortable here, it definitely wasn't already obvious by them saying "we're more comfortable here" or by showing how happy they are.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm glad Reynard told us the elves were more comfortable here, it definitely wasn't already obvious by them saying "we're more comfortable here" or by showing how happy they are.

i think that might be the new stupidest line in the entire comic

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why are Annie and Reynardine so happy and calm about this? They're acting like this is all totally fine when they should be on guard for extreme danger. Are they just stupid now?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
ChatGPT rear end comic

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
We're in a distortion world (it's a distortion world) because coyote ate Lana and then attacked Zimmy (it's Zimmy's distortion world but there are other influences in it too (i've been to a lot of distortion worlds they're all like this (this is a distortion world))). The distortion worlds (we're in one) are very dangerous dreamscapes where anything can happen and there are usually monsters all over the place! It's very dangerous that we've been brought into this distortion world because Coyote attacked Zimmy (bringing us into a distortion world).

Oh hey the distortion world (that we're in (very dangerous)) looks like a forest here :3 the forest people that are trapped in this distortion world think it's nice! It's a good thing they can be in the forest again. Everyone's happy now! This is a good thing yay :3 Here's Renard to comment how happier they are to be in a forest and how nice it is for them to be safely in a forest again and nothing is wrong yaaay :3

Like Annie's just SMILING at Renard and letting the new people disperse to hang out in the forest in THIS DISTORTION WORLD CAUSED BY A DIETY'S COSMIC MENTAL BREAKDOWN COLLIDING WITH ANOTHER SUPER POWERFUL ENTITY'S DREAMDISTORTIONS THIS ISNT SAFE WHY ARE YOU SMILING ANNIE RENARD WHY ARE YOU JUST LETTING THIS HAPPEN

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why are Annie and Reynardine so happy and calm about this? They're acting like this is all totally fine when they should be on guard for extreme danger. Are they just stupid now?

Annie and co are playing the role of a greek chorus. Their job in the comic is to kindly inform us when it is time to feel good or bad about a scene. As well as provide helpful commentary so we don't get confused.

Frankly though I thought the robot king was much better at this. If only he were here instead of Annie and Rey.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

JuniperCake posted:

Frankly though I thought the robot king was much better at this. If only he were here instead of Annie and Rey.

He probably is one of the nameless goons currently following Annie.

Isn't that a nice thought? He will never show up and make you smile again, ever. Isn't it good he's a generic Skyrim NPC now?