Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

He calls them freaks at first and is kind of put off by the way they pay fast and loose with gender

It’s kinda like drag queens who don’t know what to make of trans people I guess. But he comes around.

I don't remember that at all; I thought Mr. 2 was a big fan of Ivankov. Though it may be that I was mentally editing the dialogue to account for some sort of translation weirdness; I vaguely remember the translations back in Arabasta were a bit euphemistic in discussing Mr. 2's queerness in ways that caused problems later due to Viz's always-maintain-consistency-with-earlier-translations-at-all-costs mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Without rereading, I would guess he might have been reacting to the coercive gender change Ivankov did in his introduction.

Or else the binary swapping clashes with Bon Clay's love of being ambiguous~

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

When Ivankov and his dancers reveal themselves, he goes “who are all these freaks?!”

I’ve been told in the non-Viz translation he says “who are all these perverts?!”m

But like I said. He comes around.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

When I saw Crocodile pop up I audibly yelled “You fucker!”

It’s interesting that he’s the only enemy so far that Luffy seems to hold a grudge against.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

When Ivankov and his dancers reveal themselves, he goes “who are all these freaks?!”

I’ve been told in the non-Viz translation he says “who are all these perverts?!”m

But like I said. He comes around.
Ooh, yeah, they have a hard time translating "hentai". I don't think he meant anything bad by it. Franky calls himself "hentai" all the time. It's got hard to translate connotations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It's been forever since I last read Impel Down but I never got the impression that Bon Clay was upset, just surprised by how openly queer level 5.5 was compared to the rest of the world. It's one thing to hear stories about Ivankov and another thing entirely to see him in action.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That sounds like a more valid read, yeah

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So were they just keeping Crocodile’s coat on level 6 or something

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They obviously stopped at the personal item storage locker that all prisons have, based on me seeing the Blues Brothers a bunch of times

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

When I saw Crocodile pop up I audibly yelled “You fucker!”

It’s interesting that he’s the only enemy so far that Luffy seems to hold a grudge against.

I think it's more that Crocodile and Buggy are the only "boss" villains Luffy has re-encountered up to that point (and Buggy's villainy was smaller-scale than Crocodile's and less personal to the Straw Hats than Arlong's). It's possible that if Luffy saw Kuro, Don Krieg, Arlong, Wapol, Enel, Spandam, or Moria again, he might have a similar reaction. Lackeys like Hatchan and Mr. 2 are different, and of course it helps that in Hatchan's case he clearly regretted his past actions and Nami was willing to vouch for him, while Mr. 2 had previously risked capture or death to help the Straw Hats (and IIRC Luffy wasn't there to see the worst thing Mr. 2 did - ordering a false flag attack on civilians). It also helps that the changing "rules" regarding death in One Piece make Buggy's crimes seem less serious than they were originally implied to be; Buggy firing cannons in the middle of towns now makes him a vandal rather than a mass murderer, I guess.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And now Blackbeard is here. Hannyabal is having the absolute WORST day.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

So were they just keeping Crocodile’s coat on level 6 or something

i think its a logia fruit thing that you can just conjure accessories

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

I think it's more that Crocodile and Buggy are the only "boss" villains Luffy has re-encountered up to that point (and Buggy's villainy was smaller-scale than Crocodile's and less personal to the Straw Hats than Arlong's). It's possible that if Luffy saw Kuro, Don Krieg, Arlong, Wapol, Enel, Spandam, or Moria again, he might have a similar reaction. Lackeys like Hatchan and Mr. 2 are different, and of course it helps that in Hatchan's case he clearly regretted his past actions and Nami was willing to vouch for him, while Mr. 2 had previously risked capture or death to help the Straw Hats (and IIRC Luffy wasn't there to see the worst thing Mr. 2 did - ordering a false flag attack on civilians). It also helps that the changing "rules" regarding death in One Piece make Buggy's crimes seem less serious than they were originally implied to be; Buggy firing cannons in the middle of towns now makes him a vandal rather than a mass murderer, I guess.

Well he didn’t seem to hold anything against Mr. 3 when they met up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also let’s be real

Luffy wouldn’t even remember Spandam

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I’ve never really bought this. I’m at Fishman Island on my latest reread (started from post-Arlong Park after watching the live action) and tbh unless days are 50 hours long in OP world there’s no way Sabaody 2, the journey to Fishman Island and the entirety of the arc are a single day
Is there any potential gap in that trip? It seemed like a continuous narrative when I read it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Well he didn’t seem to hold anything against Mr. 3 when they met up.

Mr. 3 was another lackey (even if he was technically the "boss" of the Little Garden arc). And while he did try to kill the Straw Hats and clearly enjoyed the prospect of turning them into art way too much...strictly speaking he didn't do anything that a normal bounty hunter wouldn't have done.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Luffy saw Spandam in one of the movies and had no idea who he is because they only see each other once and it’s when they’re standing on the tops of the towers, lol. Luffy was focused on Robin and Lucci, it probably never occurred to him there’s someone higher up giving orders.

Edit

Nodosaur posted:

Also let’s be real

:hmmyes:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

E: Wait, misread

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nodosaur posted:

Also let’s be real

How did you like the Luffy Hammock interactions?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Crocodile nearly killed Luffy 3 times, which is more than literally every other villain has done to Luffy personally.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

There’s no way they didn’t party on Fishman Island for at least a day

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RC Cola posted:

How did you like the Luffy Hammock interactions?

I feel bad for Hancock

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there any potential gap in that trip? It seemed like a continuous narrative when I read it

Im still about halfway through FI and it’s definitely not called out as a scene where they stop at an inn to sleep or whatever, but there’s definitely points - like when they first arrive and they all wake up after having been unconscious, or when Sanji suffers the first attack that requires a blood transfusion - where there is certainly offscreen downtime.

There’s also explicitly a chapter where the princes have just left some district where they defeated some of Hody’s lieutenants and are heading to the neighboring district to rescue the king and someone says they are an hour away, and we see the map and it’s like right there, so it honestly would be insane for all the other traveling all over the island to take place within a few hours for the “all in one day” timeline to really work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Luffy saw Spandam in one of the movies and had no idea who he is because they only see each other once and it’s when they’re standing on the tops of the towers, lol. Luffy was focused on Robin and Lucci, it probably never occurred to him there’s someone higher up giving orders.

Incorrect. Luffy was on to Hattori's little game from the start.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jesus loving Christ I did not expect Mr. 3 to be the key to countering Magellan.

It’s like all these Chekov’s Guns are firing at once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nodosaur posted:

Jesus loving Christ I did not expect Mr. 3 to be the key to countering Magellan.

It’s like all these Chekov’s Guns are firing at once.

:bisonyes:

Mr. 3 as an early series underling henchman turning into such a pivotal role was such a blast to see happen.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ah, SBS explains where Croc got his coat and cigar. He took it from Newkama land.

Edit - Jimbei is like if Aquaman were blue and also even more awesome

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Luffy will reach Laugh Tale, fall asleep, then wake up in Foosha village. The whole manga happened in a single day that Luffy needs to repeat a la Groundhog Day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nodosaur posted:

Ah, SBS explains where Croc got his coat and cigar. He took it from Newkama land.

It was in a chest labeled "Dragon's Girlfriend's Things"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think Ivankov’s head has been growing the entire back half of this arc

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

Just

Wait

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

lmao

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

Edit - Jimbei is like if Aquaman were blue and also even more awesome

The real question is why did they let him keep his hook. It's such a fun arc seeing all those old enemies back in a different context.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Gyges posted:

Incorrect. Luffy was on to Hattori's little game from the start.

True. Clearly, I was wrong.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Croc is just the best, they can be whoever they want, just give me more of that laugh...........Mugiwara

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

BrownPepper posted:

The real question is why did they let him keep his hook. It's such a fun arc seeing all those old enemies back in a different context.

The hook is a medical device, they had to let him keep it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

I feel bad for Hancock

She does kick puppies

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

God.

Bon Clay saved Luffy one last time…

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: might be spoiling something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see this is the start of Buggy’s failing upward.