Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bon Clay is seriously one of the best characters in this entire drat manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Bon Clay is seriously one of the best characters in this entire drat manga.

:haibrow:

Bon Clay is a true nakama. I've been on the edge of my seat with this live commentary. fireworks have been poppin off but Impel Down is clearly leading to another fireworks factory

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bon Clay will 100% be back for the inevitable Cross Guild fight

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I forgot, has Bon Clay known Robin joined the Strawhats yet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nodosaur posted:

God.

Bon Clay saved Luffy one last time…

Bon Clay is straight up just the best friend in the world, absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqfzgDj05zY

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I see this is the start of Buggy’s failing upward.

He's gonna be King of the Pirates!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t wait for this to actually be the endgame of One Piece, Buggy being declared the Pirate King and actually opposing it since he became for real (in spirit, definitely not in flesh) but his “humility” only makes the world more accepting of the truth of Supreme Pirate King Buggy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*taps mic*

Bro Clay

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Light future Impel Down related cover story spoilers for Nodosaur's read through

With how Impel Down 5.5 is constantly in use, is there a 3rd faction besides the WG and Revolutionaries who is working behind the scenes? It just seems like even if all the prisoners break out, someone will still lead prisoners to 5.5. There's no way Bon Clay wasn't under fairly strict supervision after Magellan took him down, but now he's leading New Newkamaland. At the same time the WG and Impel Down management never find out about the hidden floor in their ultra-max prison. Maybe just a faction within the prison guards, who help out people that they don't think deserve Impel Down's poo poo?

Additionally it seems to be only non-shitheads who make it there. Nobody is bringing the Kidds, the Doflamingos, or the Crocodiles into the place. It appears to all be pirates and criminals who are redeemable, non-homicidal, and who aren't going to try and turn it into their own dystopian dictatorship. Though we have only seen two iterations, so maybe Ivankov and Bon Clay are the exceptions in the line of rulers of Impel Down 5.5.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One of my all time fav panels comes up just after the end of Marineford, so looking forward to posting it once Nodosaur is done with it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

anime was right posted:

thats circular logic. if theyre literal devils, why would mythical zoans being things that havent existed matter?

idk if you misunderstood what I was saying, but I think the gorosei are just human beings who ate powerful mythic zoan devil fruits. So they aren't literally devils or demons. My point is that I believe all of the mythic zoan creatures (dragons, gods, now demons) only exist in the One Piece world due to mankind willing them into existence through devil fruits. I.e. Nika exists not as a literal god but as the manifestation of oppressed people's belief in a liberation myth.

I could be wrong of course but I like this idea and so far there isn't anything directly contradicting it. I think it's more interesting than the idea of there being actual gods and creatures that existed 800+ years ago. Maybe Oda goes that way and that'd be fine too

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gyges posted:

Light future Impel Down related cover story spoilers for Nodosaur's read through

With how Impel Down 5.5 is constantly in use, is there a 3rd faction besides the WG and Revolutionaries who is working behind the scenes? It just seems like even if all the prisoners break out, someone will still lead prisoners to 5.5. There's no way Bon Clay wasn't under fairly strict supervision after Magellan took him down, but now he's leading New Newkamaland. At the same time the WG and Impel Down management never find out about the hidden floor in their ultra-max prison. Maybe just a faction within the prison guards, who help out people that they don't think deserve Impel Down's poo poo?

Additionally it seems to be only non-shitheads who make it there. Nobody is bringing the Kidds, the Doflamingos, or the Crocodiles into the place. It appears to all be pirates and criminals who are redeemable, non-homicidal, and who aren't going to try and turn it into their own dystopian dictatorship. Though we have only seen two iterations, so maybe Ivankov and Bon Clay are the exceptions in the line of rulers of Impel Down 5.5.

They do address this a bit prison was made by.a prisoner with a digging fruit, and they have hacked into the jails security camera and communications system. One also gets the sense that prisoners disappear all the time from just falling into spikes or lava.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whitebeard just showed up to save Ace after Sengoku announced to the world that Ace was Gold Roger’s son.

poo poo status: gotten real.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oda sure does a good job of making you care about a bunch of new characters in a short period of time.

In other news, NO, OARS JR. ;-;

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Oh boy you've hit some truly peak One Piece. Treasure this moment, you're never getting back the feel of how how amazing this arc goes

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mabels big day posted:

idk if you misunderstood what I was saying, but I think the gorosei are just human beings who ate powerful mythic zoan devil fruits. So they aren't literally devils or demons. My point is that I believe all of the mythic zoan creatures (dragons, gods, now demons) only exist in the One Piece world due to mankind willing them into existence through devil fruits. I.e. Nika exists not as a literal god but as the manifestation of oppressed people's belief in a liberation myth.

I could be wrong of course but I like this idea and so far there isn't anything directly contradicting it. I think it's more interesting than the idea of there being actual gods and creatures that existed 800+ years ago. Maybe Oda goes that way and that'd be fine too

Just a couple chapter ago we saw Saturn talking about how humans are like insects and it’s okay if they die because they’ll breed more. I did not get the impression he was talking about himself. That doesn’t mean dragons are real but it could a hint at the gorosei not being entirely human.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The (latest chapter spoilers) reveal about Bisoromi Bear at the end suggests that Saturn might have felt bad for Bonney with the "she's gone through enough" stuff because he gave the order to zombify Kuma. Even the baddest dudes can get sentimental at times.

Though Kuma also knew this would happen, implying that Vegapunk told him?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

All these characters coming out of the woodwork reminds me of Bleach, oddly

Except I give a drat about most of these

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Just a couple chapter ago we saw Saturn talking about how humans are like insects and it’s okay if they die because they’ll breed more. I did not get the impression he was talking about himself. That doesn’t mean dragons are real but it could a hint at the gorosei not being entirely human.

That’s just how rich people talk about the common folk

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

The celestial dragons see themselves as gods but they are still humans. It's the same for the Gorosei, I think. That scene just demonstrates how callous they are towards regular people.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think it's more interesting to have humans with god complexes rather than actual gods and demons. I trust Oda either way.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

That’s just how rich people talk about the common folk

Yeah pretty much this

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

There’s evidence either way but I love that we can agree that we all trust Oda and it’s going to be awesome no matter what.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have to say, Crocodile going for Whitebeard immediately feels a little out of character. The guy is more meticulous than that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also I peeked at the new chapter. I have very little idea what’s going on but I do like how world elder’s evil transformation is still cartoony looking.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nodosaur posted:

I have to say, Crocodile going for Whitebeard immediately feels a little out of character. The guy is more meticulous than that.

This at least is related to backstory that I don't think was ever elaborated on in the manga itself. Crocodile was beaten by Whitebeard and that's why the Alabasta/Pluton plan was formed. (Gecko Moria was beaten by a different Emperor and came up with the Zombie Plan for the record).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

This at least is related to backstory that I don't think was ever elaborated on in the manga itself. Crocodile was beaten by Whitebeard and that's why the Alabasta/Pluton plan was formed. (Gecko Moria was beaten by a different Emperor and came up with the Zombie Plan for the record).

I see. Still, you’d think he’d lie in wait for an advantage instead of going after him when he’s fresh for the fight.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

I see. Still, you’d think he’d lie in wait for an advantage instead of going after him when he’s fresh for the fight.

It’s probably the Luffy Factor making Croc think he can succeed

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

It’s probably the Luffy Factor making Croc think he can succeed

It's this, Luffy inspired Crocodile to give a poo poo about being a Pirate again somehow, which is the canon explanation for why Croc comes back stronger and willing to attack Whitebeard head on again rather than come up with another Alabasta/Pluton plan.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man I loving hate Kizaru

I hope he gets the poo poo beat out of him someday. That kick to the head in the chapter I peeked at wasn’t enough.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Crocoboy just broke out of prison. he's running high on adrenaline rn and not exactly thinking everything through

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Lord_Magmar posted:

This at least is related to backstory that I don't think was ever elaborated on in the manga itself. Crocodile was beaten by Whitebeard and that's why the Alabasta/Pluton plan was formed.

Spoilering just for the sake of the new reader: It is elaborated on right after Squard stabs Whitebeard. I still maintain that was the so-called secret Iva was trying to hold over him because it's an embarrassing loss to him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have to say I’m so glad for you guys. The ResetEra thread about OP is just terrible; constant making GBS threads on characters like Jimbei, and Sabo who I haven’t even met yet. I tried to say something and the reply I got was “Nah, if anything we don’t poo poo on them enough.”

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

Man I loving hate Kizaru

I hope he gets the poo poo beat out of him someday. That kick to the head in the chapter I peeked at wasn’t enough.

OP is unparalleled with things like that -- 550 or so chapters worth of wait for the full circle. Don't spoil more for yourself, but without saying specifics, it's been very, very cathartic so far.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CatstropheWaitress posted:

OP is unparalleled with things like that -- 550 or so chapters worth of wait for the full circle. Don't spoil more for yourself, but without saying specifics, it's been very, very cathartic so far.

I already had stuff like that ruined for me before I even started reading so I figured one peek wouldn’t hurt. But yeah I’m not gonna do that anymore.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nodosaur posted:

I have to say I’m so glad for you guys. The ResetEra thread about OP is just terrible; constant making GBS threads on characters like Jimbei, and Sabo who I haven’t even met yet. I tried to say something and the reply I got was “Nah, if anything we don’t poo poo on them enough.”

I won't say much about Sabo if you aren't at that part of the story yet (I'm pro Sabo), but Jinbe kicks rear end and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot moron.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It just sucks when you try to engage with people about characters or learn about them over there and you get a wall of character bashing. Every character in this manga deserves a fair shot, in my opinion.

Even Sanji. I gave him a shot and I just don’t like him. But I’m not gonna run it into the ground.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I was kinda just ok on Jimbei until he summoned those whale shark bros. then I was all in

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was some Aquaman poo poo.

Speaking of which you can’t tell me that Brave and the Bold Aquaman wouldn’t have the time of his life in the One Piece world.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Don't think this qualifies as a spoiler, but you're smack dab in the dark times for Sanji. Oda does eventually start writing well for him again, but it takes awhile.

Jimbe rocks and will continue to rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Nodosaur posted:

What is resetera? Either way sounds exhausting to hang out in a place of being hating on the thing they are talking about