Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Mahito had the greatest potential and was the most dangerous out of all the disaster curses. By all rights, he should not have lost to Yuji who doesn’t even have a technique. Yuji may be immune to Mahito’s powers, but so what? Just go out there, ignore him, and come back once you develop something that can handle him. Idle transformation is an incredibly versatile power that is limited only by the creativity and imagination of the user. I’m sure there’s something you can do with it to beat a really durable punching doll.

But Mahito considered Yuji his “natural enemy” and believed that he needed to kill him to affirm his self identity. The exact stumbling block Sukuna has been talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gege noted that Mahito’s new form would have ripped Yuji apart had he not gotten unlucky, the biggest downside being that he was operating at about 15% of his strength by the time he unlocked it.

Like it was a huge upgrade as he was tougher than Hanami as Yuji could no longer hurt him with his normal punches.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

feel like poo poo just want todo back

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

More or less how I felt about the love angle that's been introduced into the plot. I also liked Kashimo and I fully understood he was going to crash against Sukuna and die when he finally got that fight. But come on Gege, the guy is probably the last person to care what other people think he was literally Sukuna 2.0 of his generation and killed until the moment he realized he was never going to get the fight of his life and about to die. If anyone could 'get' Sukuna it would have been kashimo.

Regarding the latest chapter So did Sukuna have to chant to use his empowered Dismantle against Gojo? Because if so how the gently caress did he pull that off without Gojo counter-attacking? The decision to off-screen that moment gets dumber and dumber.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

feel like poo poo just want todo back
I also like Hakari but he's a poor man's Todo. I miss the best brother

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brought To You By posted:

More or less how I felt about the love angle that's been introduced into the plot. I also liked Kashimo and I fully understood he was going to crash against Sukuna and die when he finally got that fight. But come on Gege, the guy is probably the last person to care what other people think he was literally Sukuna 2.0 of his generation and killed until the moment he realized he was never going to get the fight of his life and about to die. If anyone could 'get' Sukuna it would have been kashimo.

Except no he wouldn't because the whole "SUkuna 2.0" was always Wrong. He was as far from him as everyone else in this fight. That's the whole point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except no he wouldn't because the whole "SUkuna 2.0" was always Wrong. He was as far from him as everyone else in this fight. That's the whole point.

It's only wrong in the sense that instead of the guy who was laser focused on fighting the strongest that ever lived. A guy who outright told his Hakari not to bore him right after another fight he finished (who does that sound like hmm?). Now he's asking about the nature of strength instead of just charging Sukuna and asking him to wrassle. maybe if he had more characterization this would be better received by me, but Kashimo simply was not presented at any point as caring what other people thought of him nor thinking about forming connections with those around him. To reiterate, his last moments were him contemplating going to fight Ryu while also realizing he was running out of time and surrounded by bodies. He does not care about others but himself and his own selfish pursuits.

For Gojo at least it makes sense since we have a lot more of his own internal conflicts and a specific arc addressing his own crisis of "whether he's strong because he's gojo or he's gojo therefore he's strong". But it's very hamfisted for this to also be some secret doubt of Kashimo who has maybe 7 chapters to his name and was a designated jobber since his reveal showed us who his ultimate target was. Contrast to Ryu, a guy who also just wanted a good fight. He doesn't need some last minute reveal that he also questioned his identity he just died and the story moved on.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

This is such a good point. I really liked Kashimo and his fight against hikari is up there on my top fights of the series (even if I don't love Hakari's domain and what it means for his fighting style and character).

Literally nothing of what made Kashimo good, whatsoever, is present here. His powers also suck. His artwork ALSO sucks.

I have to think we'll see more from Kashimo because the alternative is just... soooo corny

Gonna be honest here, I don't say this often but I think JJK needs to go on an extended break, and maybe even just reroll the timeline back to somewhere in the culling game. I didn't love the culling game, but there's a lot of fun things in it, and with the power of hindsight I think this series could be brought back on track, especially if the culling games were shortened to contain only the hottest bits.

Or JJK could pull a weird take-backsies where this whole part is a dream that someone was having and we wake up earlier in the story. It's that dire imo. And even if the series doesn't do a rollback, let's get this man a solid 3 month break to cook. This is not a great situation for anyone and the very least they should do is hold the manga for a while and let him cool off and think about where this is all going.

e: the whole Kashimo being intellectual about strength is particularly loving stupid because that's exactly what he would never do. His whole shtick is that he doesn't care about that poo poo.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 7, 2023

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gege noted that Mahito’s new form would have ripped Yuji apart had he not gotten unlucky, the biggest downside being that he was operating at about 15% of his strength by the time he unlocked it.

Like it was a huge upgrade as he was tougher than Hanami as Yuji could no longer hurt him with his normal punches.

He essentially gave himself a stat boost. It didn’t elevate or extend his ability to use idle transfiguration, he became really durable and built himself for brawling. His form even mirrored Yuji from the panelling. He had the power to shape himself into anything he could imagine, and that was the best he could come up with.

After transforming, he even says “I’m just getting started. Once I kill you, I will truly be reborn”. That sounds like an attachment to me. Especially since we had Sukuna tell Jogo that he should have destroyed everything he desired without thinking or worrying about the future or identity in the same arc. Both of them hate Yuji, but Mahito made that hate a part of his self concept, while Yuji is more like an annoyance to Sukuna

yum fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 7, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

He essentially gave himself a stat boost. It didn’t elevate or extend his ability to use idle transfiguration, he became really durable and built himself for brawling. His form even mirrored Yuji from the panelling. He had the power to shape himself into anything he could imagine, and that was the best he could come up with.

After transforming, he even says “I’m just getting started. Once I kill you, I will truly be reborn”. That sounds like an attachment to me. Especially since we had Sukuna tell Jogo that he should have destroyed everything he desired without thinking or worrying about the future or identity in the same arc. Both of them hate Yuji, but Mahito made that hate a part of his self concept, while Yuji is more like an annoyance to Sukuna

Yeah I entirely agree with you. Just noting it was a scary form.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Regarding the latest chapter So did Sukuna have to chant to use his empowered Dismantle against Gojo?

No.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yuuji will tell Sukuna "I enjoyed our time together, my friend - no, my brother, Sukuna" and Sukuna will be deeply moved at having a family for the first time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yuuji will tell Sukuna "I enjoyed our time together, my friend - no, my brother, Sukuna" and Sukuna will be deeply moved at having a family for the first time.

And then, when Sakuna is the most moved, Todo appears from behind and kills him with a steel chair.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nobara appears, does the Degeneration X "suck it" gesture, fireworks erupt as the credits appear

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

Sukuna will make Yuji an imaginary bowl of miso soup, that's bit too salty.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

*hand sign* bromain expansion

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Taima posted:

Gonna be honest here, I don't say this often but I think JJK needs to go on an extended break, and maybe even just reroll the timeline back to somewhere in the culling game. I didn't love the culling game, but there's a lot of fun things in it, and with the power of hindsight I think this series could be brought back on track, especially if the culling games were shortened to contain only the hottest bits.

Or JJK could pull a weird take-backsies where this whole part is a dream that someone was having and we wake up earlier in the story. It's that dire imo. And even if the series doesn't do a rollback, let's get this man a solid 3 month break to cook. This is not a great situation for anyone and the very least they should do is hold the manga for a while and let him cool off and think about where this is all going.

the only thing less likely than a wsj manga going on an extended hiatus is retconning things that literally just happened

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

the only thing less likely than a wsj manga going on an extended hiatus is retconning things that literally just happened

Let me tell you about a little manga called One Punch Man.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yuji punches Sukuna very hard and then sits in a room to talk it out with him. All drawn by Murata because Gege was tired this week.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Let me tell you about a little manga called One Punch Man.
OPM is a different case because the webcomic and the manga are different stories at the end of the day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

OPM is a different case because the webcomic and the manga are different stories at the end of the day.

They're talking about the manga specifically and a chapter that was so retconned it even got replaced on Viz's site.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're talking about the manga specifically and a chapter that was so retconned it even got replaced on Viz's site.

Egg on my face here. I dropped the manga so hard I forgot that it was riddled with re-writes the entire previous arc. Like 5 for just one fight between Child Emperor and Pheonixman.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

And then, when Sakuna is the most moved, Todo appears from behind and kills him with a steel chair.

No, he kills Yuuji with the chair for friend-cheating on him with Sukuna

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Egg on my face here. I dropped the manga so hard I forgot that it was riddled with re-writes the entire previous arc. Like 5 for just one fight between Child Emperor and Pheonixman.

Then you might have missed them going back and changing up the Phoenixman one last time after the fight was long done.

ilikesnails
Jul 15, 2006
: /
Yuji is going to body switch with the soul of Sukuna's twin to do a reverse Maki & Mai and so there are even more siblings.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Will this thread ever come to grips with Nobara being dead as hell

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
lol wrong thread

Nobara is in perma limbo tho

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 8, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
She could still come back because of juju magic bullshit as anything can ultimately be finagled into reality, but we saw her head pop like a balloon, her character arc was closed, and at this point she's been gone from the story longer than she was ever in it, so the only reason I even occasionally contemplate her existence is from interaction with internet fans with poor reading comprehension.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Then you might have missed them going back and changing up the Phoenixman one last time after the fight was long done.

:wtc:
The fight was a complete throwaway, it got a nice fluff up like the other demon ranked fights from the webcomic, then became a monster itself with how much ONE/Murata kept going back to it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
isn't it also kind of a unique case because Murata is a crazy person who likes to redraw a ton and has a lot of clout

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like suddenly gassing Sukuna up this much has made me less interested in everything going on. Gojo getting killed should invoke some kind of fear in the reader because he was the power ceiling for so long but instead it just kinda came off as bullshit and Gege is desperately struggling trying to backfill how no no no Sukuna is just really powerful guys!! Lame, stupid, dumb. You failed miserably at this Gege and having him gobble up jobbers after this is only making it worse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There's literally only one thing said about Sukuna since the very start of this manga and that is "holy poo poo this guy was the strongest in history." The major antagonists say repeatedly "IF we can reincarnate this guy our plan is 100% guaranteed to succeed." The villains had an argument about killing Yuji because Sukuna was so strong that the possibility of having him join their side was more than enough. Kenajku considered incarnating Sukuna as a back up plan if they couldn't seal Gojo away.

What do you mean "suddenly gassing" him up? From halfway into the first volume the question of "Could even Gojo overcome this monstrous being?" has been a floating issue.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's literally only one thing said about Sukuna since the very start of this manga and that is "holy poo poo this guy was the strongest in history." The major antagonists say repeatedly "IF we can reincarnate this guy our plan is 100% guaranteed to succeed." The villains had an argument about killing Yuji because Sukuna was so strong that the possibility of having him join their side was more than enough. Kenajku considered incarnating Sukuna as a back up plan if they couldn't seal Gojo away.

What do you mean "suddenly gassing" him up? From halfway into the first volume the question of "Could even Gojo overcome this monstrous being?" has been a floating issue.
Saying it is different than showing it at any time before. Nothing Sukuna did before he fought Gojo (obliterating the finger holder, mulching a bunch of civilians in Shibuya, dunking Jougo, 1v1ing Mahoraga) was something Gojo couldn't do just as easily. They are absolutely, unequivocally gassing him up here at the end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they really aren't. the only L sukuna has ever taken was when he was freshly incarnated with the smallest possible share of his power against the world's current Strongest Guy, and ever since he body-snatched megumi he's been near his peak with a whole bunch of additional toys to play with. gojo was dead on when he said that he probably couldn't have taken sukuna with or without ten shadows because sukuna just viewed the entire battle as an experiment in adapting his offensive technique to overcome an insurmountable defense

it's a different question as to whether watching this guy mulch everyone who stands up to him is compelling or not, but nothing sukuna is doing now is at odds with how he behaved or was perceived for the entire manga

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He literally could not have bypassed Gojo's defense WITHOUT Mahoraga! There is literally not a single loving panel that explains how he could've done it without the magical anti-everything shikigami showing him how to do it.

It's loving lame and Gojo just being in the afterlife waiting room staring directly at the reader saying "Oh gee whiz I don't think I could've won even if he didn't have Ten Shadows" when Ten Shadows is shown as being explicitly the reason he won even by Sukuna's own monologue is so unbelievably weak.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

He literally could not have bypassed Gojo's defense WITHOUT Mahoraga! There is literally not a single loving panel that explains how he could've done it without the magical anti-everything shikigami showing him how to do it.

It's loving lame and Gojo just being in the afterlife waiting room staring directly at the reader saying "Oh gee whiz I don't think I could've won even if he didn't have Ten Shadows" when Ten Shadows is shown as being explicitly the reason he won even by Sukuna's own monologue is so unbelievably weak.

he would have found another way. gojo realized at the end that sukuna wasn't fighting to win or even to survive, he was just acting out of the same indulgence and infallible self-assurance that had guided him to ultimate power in the first place. gojo didn't have the presence of mind to overcome something like that

now it's a bit of a mystery how anyone possibly could, regardless of how determined yuji might be, but gojo just wasn't the guy

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

he would have found another way. gojo realized at the end that sukuna wasn't fighting to win or even to survive, he was just acting out of the same indulgence and infallible self-assurance that had guided him to ultimate power in the first place. gojo didn't have the presence of mind to overcome something like that

now it's a bit of a mystery how anyone possibly could, regardless of how determined yuji might be, but gojo just wasn't the guy
I don't think "well uh, he would've found another way" is exactly something supported by the text. Sukuna's mastery is pretty well established by the fact he can instantly copy most tricks he sees (which I think is believable, and fitting for a dude called "the king of curses") like repairing burnt out technique after seeing Gojo do it once. But since it's established he can do that and that he completely explains how he beat Gojo in text, on screen, for your eyeballs to consume- the only thing to follow from that explanation is that he could not have figured out how to make his innate technique bypass the infinite without Mahoraga showing him how to do it. Figuring it out and applying it under pressure is fitting, but just saying he could've done it anyway when he pretty explicitly explains how he likely couldn't have done it without Mahoraga kinda doesn't work!

There's a good push/pull between him and Gojo until both their domains get burnt out and then it's incredibly clear that Sukuna is buying time with Ten Shadows to have Mahoraga figure out how to bypass infinity. Gojo is stripping his toys away one by one, Sukuna sees Mahoraga figure out its own way past Infinity (which he says he cannot imitate, so he waits), then continues to stall until Mahoraga's adaptation shows him a method that he can apply to his own technique right at the last second which he uses to win. There is zero indication he was playing with his food. Gege even says he was genuinely nervous. The text seems to explicitly show that Sukuna wasn't getting past the infinite without Mahoraga, and also that he was pressed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I don't think "well uh, he would've found another way" is exactly something supported by the text.

it's supported by gojo saying that he would have won anyway. you're arguing yourself in circles now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

it's supported by gojo saying that he would have won anyway. you're arguing yourself in circles now
No I'm not. I'm explicitly saying that part is dumb and doesn't really make sense taken against the text itself. It's bad writing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We literally see a way Sukuna could have won early in the fight. When his domain wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It doesn't work though, so he didn't and couldn't have won the fight early. You know, because it didn't work??