Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The actual number of shows might not have been high, but at the time it felt like Madoka felt like it was everywhere in anime related spaces.

Being (surrounded by) meguka is suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, there was also that one series that was like Fate/Zero with magical mecha instead of legendary heroes, and all the people fighting to become a super-wizard (the “Princeps Mage”) were teenage girls for reasons that were never actually explained. I can’t remember it’s name or its exact level of darkness or magical girlness, though, just that the way it kept repeating certain exposition while leaving other things vague annoyed me.

I finally figured out what the show was; it was Granbelm.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mikane and the Sea Woman: Best Dad needs to come home and talk with his son about meeting strange women

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Silver2195 posted:

The interesting thing about “dark magical girls” anime is that there weren’t as many as people remember there being. Madoka, The Sun Penetrates the Illusion, Magical Girl Raising Project, Magical Girl Site, Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka, maybe Yuki Yuuna (not familiar with that one). And people were talking a lot about “dark magical girls” being omnipresent when only half of those had come out. I guess Selector Infected Wixoss blatantly copied the Madoka aesthetic despite not actually being a magical girl show.

Edit: Oh yeah, there was also that one series that was like Fate/Zero with magical mecha instead of legendary heroes, and all the people fighting to become a super-wizard (the “Princeps Mage”) were teenage girls for reasons that were never actually explained. I can’t remember it’s name or its exact level of darkness or magical girlness, though, just that the way it kept repeating certain exposition while leaving other things vague annoyed me.

I vaguely remember Mai/My Hime being the first such one I saw, which also sort of fulfilled the 'death tournament for cosmic power' thing I think?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nanoha?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elfface posted:

I vaguely remember Mai/My Hime being the first such one I saw, which also sort of fulfilled the 'death tournament for cosmic power' thing I think?

I remember very little about that show save vaguely recalling the villain got off scot free and it was irritating.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nanoha's in a weird spot where it's more serious but the stuff you'd expect to see in Sailor Moon or Precure is still there and played pretty straight without messing around with it. The most subversive it gets is the second season, and that's actually in a positive way.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Nanoha is GaoGaiGar in that its the thing taken to the nines. Ultra-constuctuon, for want a better word.

Also the concept of deconstruction is kinda baked into the magical girl genre by default between the whole Minky Momo truck-murder-cancelation debacle and Sailor Moon's first season having an endgame that is Usagi going through a 13 episode or so long nervous breakdown.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 8, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elfface posted:

Same. I liked Mai Hime a lot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol Kill Blue.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Dexo posted:

Lol Kill Blue.

Hoping this resolves, like, immediately as a gag or misunderstanding or something. Very stupid.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This Sakamoto Days arc is so insanely stupidly cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering how he keeps pointing out that her actions are weird I wonder if there's some kind of imposter situation going on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No this actually owns lol.

Like the series is making it clear it's not okay, but it is just a funny bit when he's just completely trying to avoid her advances.

My thoughts are in line with the ex-wife character just laughing their rear end off.

If it turns into something not being played completely as a bit that everyone involved knows is a bad idea then I'll worry

But they have made it really really clear that this is not going to turn into an actual romance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

Sniper duels always deliver

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

It’s a girl. Probably, but this was so stupid it was great. Fantastic action shots as well.
Also Piisuke for best birb.

Girlfriend goosebumps: I only recently caught up to this, but it’s so weirdly disjointed.

Witch watch is finally wrapping up probably

MMA: was good again. Honestly but a solid little manga.

Nue: is going into full plot dump now apparently. I still rather like Nue.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kagubarachi: It continues being competent, without being really noteworthy outside of the whole meme thing.

MamaYuyu: Did not expect for the girl hero to just straight up fall in love with the protagonist...

Undead Unluck: I began reading this recently, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I don't remember the last time a manga ended up so constantly and consistently improving itself over its run. About recent chapter: I still think its just hilariously absurd that Fuuko's plan was to get Rip to cut his own legs off, just because he did it in the previous loop and it made him stronger there. I would've figured she would be interested in a timeline where noone has to cut their own legs off, but no. :v:. That being said, the end result ended up being a nice twist.

Darth TNT posted:

Girlfriend goosebumps: I only recently caught up to this, but it’s so weirdly disjointed.

Honestly I consider the constant flips between cozy, surprisingly healthy teenage romcom and weird, tense psychological almost-horror as one of its strengths. It almost never does things as you would expect it to.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 8, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Goosebump Girlfriend: Jeeze he's got it so much worse than she does.

Ibblebibble posted:

Is this the first or second time someone actually pulls off bullet curving like it's Wanted? Either way it's incredibly sick

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Blue Box: Seems like we're setting up for shenanigans/love triangles with the new batch of students. Genuinely can't wait.

Roboco: I love it when good artists draw bad on purpose :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
MMA is good, reminds me a bit of Ippo with a more technical protagonist.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It would be really cool if Ichinose could get to the loving point. Takopi was a mess in degrees but I feel like it being so short gave it the kind of focus needed to not drag on for too long.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah, it's almost like she's been playing at being edgy, but he's the one who might seriously be a danger.

MMA: Okay, this was a really good fight, and I'm excited to see where it goes in the future.

Blue Box: Feels like we have a new status quote.

Dexo posted:

No this actually owns lol.

Like the series is making it clear it's not okay, but it is just a funny bit when he's just completely trying to avoid her advances.

My thoughts are in line with the ex-wife character just laughing their rear end off.

If it turns into something not being played completely as a bit that everyone involved knows is a bad idea then I'll worry

But they have made it really really clear that this is not going to turn into an actual romance.

I don't even think that it's bad if Noren does have legit feelings for Oga (which she doesn't); as far as she knows he's her age. It only ever becomes an issue if he acts on it.

Fabricated posted:

It would be really cool if Ichinose could get to the loving point. Takopi was a mess in degrees but I feel like it being so short gave it the kind of focus needed to not drag on for too long.

If there was ever a point to Ichinose, it was lost a long time ago

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Kagubarachi: It continues being competent, without being really noteworthy outside of the whole meme thing.

MamaYuyu: Did not expect for the girl hero to just straight up fall in love with the protagonist...

Undead Unluck: I began reading this recently, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I don't remember the last time a manga ended up so constantly and consistently improving itself over its run. About recent chapter: I still think its just hilariously absurd that Fuuko's plan was to get Rip to cut his own legs off, just because he did it in the previous loop and it made him stronger there. I would've figured she would be interested in a timeline where noone has to cut their own legs off, but no. :v:. That being said, the end result ended up being a nice twist.

Honestly I consider the constant flips between cozy, surprisingly healthy teenage romcom and weird, tense psychological almost-horror as one of its strengths. It almost never does things as you would expect it to.
Yeah undead unluck is insanely strong right now.

The flip flop between cozy and errr not cozy I’m fine with. It’s just that the chapters feel disjointed between one another. I don’t feel the flow from the previous chapter to this one.
And yeah, the protagonist at this point is much more messed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I 100 percent get people bouncing off Undead because two hours of a good looking comic with a kinda weak plot is a big ask but the reward that awaits somebody who sticks it out. Like the anime just dropped and the animation is in fact really good but it's also when the series is at its most... most.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The beginning is absolutely the worst part of Undead Unluck and I bounced off it several times, before I got to the part after they clear the first quests and the reveal about how incredibly weird the world actually is finally reeled me in. Even after that, I think it took until the second loop for the manga to get really good, instead of it being just...kinda above-average.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It won't happen but they should commit to the sniper being just a gun barrel pointing out of a ragged person-shaped cloak. Have them leave after the arc ends or something but just never ever show them.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Pierson posted:

It won't happen but they should commit to the sniper being just a gun barrel pointing out of a ragged person-shaped cloak. Have them leave after the arc ends or something but just never ever show them.

:hmmyes:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

See, I've been pretty bored with the second loop, just because it's so very NG++. It's getting everything perfect, with no real risk, so it's just a matter of waiting for the actual fight as everyone keeps going through the same scenarios they flashed back to the first time, but without losing anyone.

Tension is one of the major aspects of a good shonen fight, and I feel like the structure of this half is undermining that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I've been pretty bored with the second loop, just because it's so very NG++. It's getting everything perfect, with no real risk, so it's just a matter of waiting for the actual fight as everyone keeps going through the same scenarios they flashed back to the first time, but without losing anyone.

Tension is one of the major aspects of a good shonen fight, and I feel like the structure of this half is undermining that.

This is the character payoff, not the fight. It is something a lot of Shonen skips which is why it is good here.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

I agree with you that the NG+100 loop has basically no tension. Nonetheless, given how many unfortunate events occurred in the last loop -- especially towards the end -- this new loop is essentially catharsis while also fleshing out or creating new backstories of many characters. While it may be boring, the characters deserve it. Some readers may dislike this approach, while others may like it. I am just in the middle.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really like NG+ in Undead Unluck because Fuuko kicks rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Yes it is also super nice to see a female lead in a Shonen manga just get to be awesome and badass.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Is this the first or second time someone actually pulls off bullet curving like it's Wanted? Either way it's incredibly sick

Second, Young Sakamoto has done it before by throwing a pistol, though I'm not sure if that counts.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fabricated posted:

Yeah it's this. There are so many character in UU I don't remember the details of most of the tragic backstories she's averting but boss Fuuko is great.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 9, 2023

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Sakamoto Days : so the author watched Wanted before making this chapter? Anyway, this is still a lot of fun,great fight, pretty sad they showed Kamihate's body tho,because now I think they'll end up showing the face too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

MMA is good, reminds me a bit of Ippo with a more technical protagonist.

It's easy to forget, but Ippo actually started out with an emphasis on his technical skills in addition to his strength (and it still pops up occasionally). The beginning of the comic is basically Ippo rapidly learning various skills at rates that astound everyone around him.

Unfortunately this was deemphasized later, but it's been coming back some in more recent chapters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's easy to forget, but Ippo actually started out with an emphasis on his technical skills in addition to his strength (and it still pops up occasionally). The beginning of the comic is basically Ippo rapidly learning various skills at rates that astound everyone around him.

Unfortunately this was deemphasized later, but it's been coming back some in more recent chapters.

Wait, Ippo is still running?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, Ippo is still running?

Yeah Ippo has been ongoing constantly. Ippo is currently retired as a boxer, but it turns out he doesn’t need to be active for the story to continue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hinomaru no sumo was pretty consistent about that stuff for the whole run so I'm not too worried about it

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Ippo has been ongoing constantly. Ippo is currently retired as a boxer, but it turns out he doesn’t need to be active for the story to continue.

and it feels like every ch there's at least one person with a though bubble about how ippo should go back to boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They're right