Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Please refrain from sniping at each other over sixxxers or I will sit on you. Instead you post more news and views about Ukraine winning the war against the illegally invading Russian imperialist regime, run by noted MadMan and war criminal, Vladimir Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Dramatic Increase in DPRK-Russia Border Rail Traffic After Kim-Putin Summit

quote:

Key Findings
- Satellite imagery of North Korea’s Tumangang Rail Facility at the border with Russia captured on October 5, 2023, shows an unprecedented number of freight railcars, totaling approximately 73 railcars.
- The level of rail traffic is far greater than what Beyond Parallel has observed at the facility during the past five years, even compared to pre-Covid-19 levels. Given that Kim and Putin discussed some military exchanges and cooperation at their recent summit, the dramatic increase in rail traffic likely indicates North Korea’s supply of arms and munitions to Russia. However, the extensive use of tarps to cover the shipping crates/containers and equipment makes it impossible to conclusively identify what is seen at the Tumangang Rail Facility.
- Developments elsewhere at the Tumangang Rail Facility indicate that North Korea is not simply planning to resume border traffic to pre-Covid-19 levels, but further expand the facility’s capacity at this border crossing.
- Military transfers between the two countries would violate multiple UN Security Council resolutions and be subject to additional sanctions by the United States and its allies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/i/status/1710938673217245290

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Imagine the sausage, egg and cheese mcgriddle you could make with that badddd boy

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

It's weird that North Korea seems better at rail transport than Russia here.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

those aren't ration packs, they're time-delay area denial weapons. you're supposed to hide them in enemy territory with a space heater and then just reclassify that area as impassable for the next 5 generations

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Toxic Mental posted:

Please refrain from sniping at each other over sixxxers or I will sit on you. Instead you post more news and views about Ukraine winning the war against the illegally invading Russian imperialist regime, run by noted MadMan and war criminal, Vladimir Putin.

Here's some.

Original article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20054002
Journalist:
Kari Ikävalko

Yle.fi posted:

Pro-Russian cyber attacks are increasing. "Due to low effectiveness there's no need to be scared", says a security expert.
Over the past few days Russian attackers have conducted over 20 separate attacks on Finnish websites

Pro-Russian hacker group NoName 057(16) has continued its spree of cyber attacks on Finland. The latest victim on Friday was a popular route planner website operated by HSL, who run public transportation in Helsinki.

The widespread, but pro-Russian NoName, has conducted 20 similar attacks in a short period of time, according to Traficom, the bureau of traffic and communications. The strikes have targeted Traficom itself, as well as two banks, other government services, media and large companies.

These are so called denial of service attacks, which aim to swamp the websites with as much traffic as possible. Through this the website's level of service is degraded, or it is brought down entirely. The effects of these attacks have been short lived and minor, the Cyber Security Center at Traficom estimates.

- It's hybrid influencing. The effects of the attacks are minor, but the group itself is claiming massive results on their own channels, says security expert Samuli Könönen at the CSC.

The strikes are the results of political actions, which Finland has taken to support Ukraine in their war of survival. These include the supportive messages given by foreign minister Elina Valtonen, as well as the military support Finland continues to provide to Ukraine.

The attacks aim to affect Finland's support for Ukraine
According to Könönen, the timing and the increasing frequency can indicate that the attacks are trying to undermine Finland's commitment at a time when speculations of dwindling Western support have been heard. These strikes aim to send a message to Russians, claiming they are effective and therefore recruiting new participants in the future.

Könönen says the NoName group is spread out and largely volunteer based. The group's actions are directed from a central server, from which participants get information on upcoming targets. In addition to Finland, targets are called daily in countries that support Ukraine.

We can already prepare for the attacks
When the HSL service was attacked last time in late 2022, the website's level of service was noticeably degraded for a few days. According to Könönen, we now know better how to prepare for these attacks and how to block them.

- If a website can't be immediately reached, or it runs a bit slower, the real effects are quite small. No information has actually been compromised.

The recent attacks are not intended to be data breaches, which would aim to steal companies' internal information, or to affect their internal mechanisms.

The operators of websites can block DDOS attacks by increasing server capacity, or by limiting access to the service based by IP addresses. Because this is a form of hybrid influencing, reporting on the attacks can also help serve the attackers' cause.

- It's common, but the effects are so minor that there really is no need for worry.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's some.

Journalist:
Kari Ikävalko

quote:

"Due to low effectiveness there's no need to be scared"

Outsourcing jobs and then antagonizing the place where you outsource jobs is a good way for those jobs to suddenly suck when you have to source them locally.

... Or have I been misled by an investigation regarding pro-Russian internet propaganda coming from antebellum Ukraine years ago?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Wouldn't it make more sense to target government web services or IT infrastructure for disruption? I feel like websites that deal with things like traffic information probably already have contingencies in place to deal with spikes in traffic, DDoS mitigation isn't that hard to come by or unreasonable for them to have.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Clerical Terrors posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to target government web services or IT infrastructure for disruption? I feel like websites that deal with things like traffic information probably already have contingencies in place to deal with spikes in traffic, DDoS mitigation isn't that hard to come by or unreasonable for them to have.

The routing service was probably chosen because it's a soft target that annoys a lot of people. It crashed on its own the last time they opened a new underground line and reorganised bus lines.

Being run by a co-municipal corporation means there aren't a lot of people thinking about cybersecurity or IT architecture behind the scenes.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's some.

Journalist:
Kari Ikävalko

A-ha! Get mildly-inconvenienced, nerds! This is for joining NATO!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I never trust the bus apps anyway. Or the stop displays. I only trust my katana.

(And printed timetables.)

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Consequently, I am no longer allowed on the bus because my sword keeps cutting up the seats.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
I am delighted to report to my FSB superiors that the operation was a great success. All the mcflurry machines in Helsinki are currently off-line.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RDM posted:

I am delighted to report to my FSB superiors that the operation was a great success. All the mcflurry machines in Helsinki are currently off-line.

Only Russian tourists go to McDonalds when they have Hesburgers in Helsinki.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Oh no, I, can't tell what time my bus is in Helsinki! Guess I'll just take one of the dirt cheap frequent trams or trains I can also get on the same travel card!

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Give me two years and 80 million rubles and I promise you that Hesburger will regret throwing in with the imperialists when they can't accept American Express for 72 hours

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Disco Pope posted:

Oh no, I, can't tell what time my bus is in Helsinki! Guess I'll just take one of the dirt cheap frequent trams or trains I can also get on the same travel card!

As someone living in the Midwest, my envy is immeasurable.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Ha. If they are doing this in other countries, like say Canada, they are poo poo out of luck. In our capital city our own incompetence has destroyed our transit system timing. And also our transit system. Take that Russia

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's NATOs fault for taking away their McD's :(

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ha. If they are doing this in other countries, like say Canada, they are poo poo out of luck. In our capital city our own incompetence has destroyed our transit system timing. And also our transit system. Take that Russia

Unorthodox display of hubris. But I'll allow it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I sigh and draw my käätäänää

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:hai::respek::hai:

As they say, in Turku a human can feel good.

(and Hesburger >>>> McDonald's)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What about Shesburger

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That name is outdated, btw. It has since been merged into a subgroup of Hardee's - although some stakeholders think it should just be part of the broader burgerdiversity spectrum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

That name is outdated, btw. It has since been merged into a subgroup of Hardee's - although some stakeholders think it should just be part of the broader burgerdiversity spectrum.

What?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Heshburger

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Clerical Terrors posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to target government web services or IT infrastructure for disruption?

On second thought, the government statute database has recently been slow as molasses, so they might be DOSing that too.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Roger Waters be like

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bunnyofdoom posted:

What is this "transit system" being discussed here? Phoenix has cars. Lots of cars and pretty decent roads but not enough freeways for them.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Alan Smithee posted:

What about Shesburger

No Coke, Pepsi

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Flyinglemur posted:

No Coke, Pepsi

Is Pepshe OK?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flyinglemur posted:

No Coke, Pepsi

Still can't believe there is literally a chain called https://www.cheeburger.com/

I went there once and they had little flyers and things referencing the skit but they were clearly not licensing anything

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Hot Expensive Squash Ham Burger

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

You are thinking it backwards, even if we are talking about the same thing. Hesburger chain we are talking about is owned by a Finnish private stock company Burger-In still owned by the family started it. They also own the regional rights to Carrol's brand because they bought out the local chain to extend their business in 2002.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I'm sorry, all things in Finland are run by Moomins.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm sorry, all things in Finland are run by Moomins.

First Utah, then Colorado Springs, now even Finland?!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've seen Hesbuger in Estonia, I'm afraid it's made it across the Baltic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

spankmeister posted:

I've seen Hesbuger in Estonia, I'm afraid it's made it across the Baltic.

There's seven in Ukraine (most or all in Kyiv?) apparently - and the war forced them to close their restaurants in Belarus and Russia.