Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Aguaschiles is the only answer here.

Aguachile is something I will get at literally the sketchiest restaurant because I figure if they put it on the menu they'll do it right. Have never been disappointed. Including at the restaurant that vaguely smells like sewage in a strip mall next to the Greyhound station here in Kentucky. I look over the smell because they're capable of the second greatest intensity of spice I've ever had (behind a pombazo from a truck outside the Irving station down the road).

Now I'm craving aguachile bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

Nice! About to start experimenting with this in our house.

What’s your ratio for oats : water?

What was your motivation for doing homemade instead of buying? Just Price, or?

Motivation was mostly price. Seemed way overpriced for the ingredients so I decided to give it a try.

I use 4 cups water, 1 cup rolled “old fashioned” oats, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1-2tsp sugar or honey, 1 tsp neutral oil, 2 dashes salt, combine quickly and blend for 40s. Let sit for 5 mins, strain then reblend with 1/4 tsp xanthan gum.

Without the gum its fine, settles out faster and is a bit thinner but tastes good. Other than a bit of dishes cleanup it takes almost no time. Not paying 8-10$ per gallon of oat milk now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Does anyone have a good chocolate pie recipe? I have the crust already (leftover from a different pie) so I just need the filling.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That Works posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your starting vs final volume for milk to final greek yogurt?

I make yogurt fairly often but I haven't tried to strain it down.

(protip, we have a hot tub, throw sealed jar of scalded milk + inoculum into the hot tub overnight)

You got me curious so I decided to measure this time.

One gallon of 2% milk, ~20 hour ferment and then strained for 1 hour in the fridge results in almost exactly 3 quarts of yogurt (93 ounces). So I figure I'm saving about $4.5 per quart vs. buying Chobani or whatever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lester Shy posted:

You got me curious so I decided to measure this time.

One gallon of 2% milk, ~20 hour ferment and then strained for 1 hour in the fridge results in almost exactly 3 quarts of yogurt (93 ounces). So I figure I'm saving about $4.5 per quart vs. buying Chobani or whatever.

Yeah that’s a good amount of returns. Thanks!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looking for menu help/suggestions/inspiration. We're hosting a large (50-75 people) family gathering the Saturday after thanksgiving. Current plan is large salad, some sort of baked pasta thing or other casserole which can be pre-assembled (and ideally frozen), and then a vegetable of some sort, probably has to be stovetop due to limited oven space from all the baked pasta things. No dietary restrictions, but some of our family don't have the most enlightened palettes so trying to stay away from alot of spice or exotic flavors. Other main requirement is that everything needs to be easily eaten off one's lap on a sofa or whatever with only a fork. Budget not a huge issue, but like I'm not buying 10# of Belgian endives or something. Vegetables Readily Available At Costco are ideal.

Any ideas? Especially for a large quantity of vaguely Italian stovetop vegetable to go with a lasagna or w/e.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Looking for menu help/suggestions/inspiration. We're hosting a large (50-75 people) family gathering the Saturday after thanksgiving. Current plan is large salad, some sort of baked pasta thing or other casserole which can be pre-assembled (and ideally frozen), and then a vegetable of some sort, probably has to be stovetop due to limited oven space from all the baked pasta things. No dietary restrictions, but some of our family don't have the most enlightened palettes so trying to stay away from alot of spice or exotic flavors. Other main requirement is that everything needs to be easily eaten off one's lap on a sofa or whatever with only a fork. Budget not a huge issue, but like I'm not buying 10# of Belgian endives or something. Vegetables Readily Available At Costco are ideal.

Any ideas? Especially for a large quantity of vaguely Italian stovetop vegetable to go with a lasagna or w/e.

I always default to tailgate foods so for me this would be make a big rear end pot of gumbo, redbeans and rice or jambalaya with potato salad, cornbread and a green salad. Those are all easy to make and the redbeans and gumbo are better reheated and made in advance.

If you are going with a pasta bake kind of deal then maybe some type of greenbean almondine or peas with lemon and mint (can use frozen peas easily for this).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Having made large salads to feed a similar amount of people while working all summer at a hotel/campground in a Turkish beach resort, I can suggest çoban salatası (shepherd's salad), which involves diced onions, çarliston green peppers (also known as banana peppers I think?), tomatoes and cucumber with finely chopped parsley, tossed in lemon, olive oil and salt. It goes with basically everything and is relatively quick and easy to prep. I would prep everything apart from the tomatoes and dressing a few hours before, and then chop the tomatoes and dress/toss everything before serving.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

I always default to tailgate foods so for me this would be make a big rear end pot of gumbo, redbeans and rice or jambalaya with potato salad, cornbread and a green salad. Those are all easy to make and the redbeans and gumbo are better reheated and made in advance.

If you are going with a pasta bake kind of deal then maybe some type of greenbean almondine or peas with lemon and mint (can use frozen peas easily for this).
I had thought about gumbo or jambalaya but sadly a large proportion of these people are terrified of seafood of any sort and will gag at the thought of an oyster and don't understand that gumbo/jambalaya doesn't always have seafood in it, so that's unfortunately out.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd be thinking tabbouleh and some sort of tagine

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Just make baked ziti and garlic bread and a green salad, think Olive Garden but with actual food. A bunch of midwestern grandmas aren't eating frigging tabouleh and babaganoush.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Torquemada posted:

Just make baked ziti and garlic bread and a green salad, think Olive Garden but with actual food. A bunch of midwestern grandmas aren't eating frigging tabouleh and babaganoush.

My 96 year old grandma, raised in a subsistence farming family in Appalachia, loves Babaganoush :colbert:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Annath posted:

My 96 year old grandma, raised in a subsistence farming family in Appalachia, loves Babaganoush :colbert:

Would she "gag at the thought of an oyster (…) terrified of seafood"?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Torquemada posted:

I'm with you on this, that or a chili bar? Basic chili with lots fun toppings?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Torquemada posted:

Would she "gag at the thought of an oyster (…) terrified of seafood"?

Actually she taught me how to make oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bake up a shitload of brussels sprouts with bacon on it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Torquemada posted:

Well, I like good food and about 2/3 of the people there like and appreciate good food and are good cooks themselves, so I would like to make good food that will also not terrify the less adventurous eaters. It's alot of work to cook for a large crowd and if I'm doing that work and not just getting a bunch of casseroles from Costco, I'd rather cook something good and memorable that I want to eat, and there lots of room for 'good and memorable' and 'wont terrify some provincials' to coexist.

Seafood is the only real major hangup. I'd thought about making a batch of beef bourguignon every weekend for the next few weeks and freezing it, and I know they would love that. They're not total hot dogs and chicken fingers ONLY people.

Scientastic posted:

I'd be thinking tabbouleh and some sort of tagine
Do you have any favorite recipes? I've never done a tagine before.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They're not total hot dogs and chicken fingers ONLY people.

My apologies, not trying to be a dick.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Top of my head, if you're doing lasagna, I would do an antipasto selection, marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts, some nice Italian cheeses, etc. I'd do an arugula salad with a little asiago and a light vinaigrette. Everything can be made in advance except the salad, which means you can devote more time beforehand to prep and have less to do day of.

Alternatively, homemade Mac and cheese, braised collards or green beans, pickle plate, and banana pudding for dessert. If they're heavy meat eaters, add pulled pork or a ham. Again, everything can be prepped in advance and makes day of prep much easier.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mintymenman posted:

Top of my head, if you're doing lasagna, I would do an antipasto selection, marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts, some nice Italian cheeses, etc. I'd do an arugula salad with a little asiago and a light vinaigrette. Everything can be made in advance except the salad, which means you can devote more time beforehand to prep and have less to do day of.

Alternatively, homemade Mac and cheese, braised collards or green beans, pickle plate, and banana pudding for dessert. If they're heavy meat eaters, add pulled pork or a ham. Again, everything can be prepped in advance and makes day of prep much easier.

Even the salad can be made in advance as long as you don't dress it until the last minute.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A salad like a coleslaw could also be made day-before without much issue.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Anyone got a good recipe for some sort of bacon/onion/pepper relish? I need a better sauce for my breakfast egg sandwiches than just mayonnaise and gochujang. Up for any kind of suggestion.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

null_pointer posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for some sort of bacon/onion/pepper relish? I need a better sauce for my breakfast egg sandwiches than just mayonnaise and gochujang. Up for any kind of suggestion.

I like Ajvar to sauce my sandwiches. It is a base of roasted and pureed bell pepper and eggplant. Optionally with garlic, hot red pepper, tomatoes or onions.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

null_pointer posted:

The bodega classic is the shittiest yellow mustard you can find. If you're feeling more highbrow, I love an olive salad like you get on a muffaletta with a handful of arugula

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Anyone have any experience getting cornbread to hold a shape? I’m doing a thing and having cornbread in the shape of a hockey mask would be a great addition, but my cornbread has always been a super wet dough in a cast iron pan so I don’t think that’d work.

The closest I have to a plan now is just bake it normally in a vaguely ovoid form and then do the shaping with a knife/some metal straws when it’s done, but I’m happy to take ideas.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyone have any experience getting cornbread to hold a shape? I’m doing a thing and having cornbread in the shape of a hockey mask would be a great addition, but my cornbread has always been a super wet dough in a cast iron pan so I don’t think that’d work.

The closest I have to a plan now is just bake it normally in a vaguely ovoid form and then do the shaping with a knife/some metal straws when it’s done, but I’m happy to take ideas.

I feel like trying to re-shape it after the fact, might be a lot easier. Cut out the bits you need/decorate it, from a oval shaped pan or just a round pan that you cut the shape out of?

Your question made me think of this Chef John monstrosity: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/261198/chef-johns-zombie-meatloaf/

It didn't go very well for him.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rawrbomb posted:

I feel like trying to re-shape it after the fact, might be a lot easier. Cut out the bits you need/decorate it, from a oval shaped pan or just a round pan that you cut the shape out of?

Your question made me think of this Chef John monstrosity: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/261198/chef-johns-zombie-meatloaf/

It didn't go very well for him.

I watched the video, it looked fine to me :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you have a cornstick pan? You might be able to use cornsticks as bars when you assemble the baked pieces.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Whatever you do please post pics. I gotta see this spooky cornbread.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

null_pointer posted:

This one here is pretty good https://www.seriouseats.com/hot-and-smoky-cheeseburgers-bacon-pickled-cherry-pepper-relish-recipe

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

Structurally, cornbread isn't going to hold its shape. I'd suggest making your oval cornbread and then making cornmeal crackers that you can shape pre baking to use for the mask. If you really want to go nuts, make a positive mold of the mask out of aluminum foil, then drape your cracker dough over it and bake. Here's the dough I use

1 cup cornmeal

¾ cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

5 TB butter

½ cup heavy cream

salt to sprinkle

Cornmeal to dust

Mix together, chill for at least a couple of hours, then roll to approximately 3mm thick. Cut into desired shapes, dock, sprinkle with salt, chill for thirty minutes, then bake at 350 until lightly browned.
If you're doing 3d shapes, sub half and half for the cream, and knead the poo poo out of it to develop the gluten.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mintymenman posted:

Structurally, cornbread isn't going to hold its shape. I'd suggest making your oval cornbread and then making cornmeal crackers that you can shape pre baking to use for the mask. If you really want to go nuts, make a positive mold of the mask out of aluminum foil, then drape your cracker dough over it and bake. Here's the dough I use

1 cup cornmeal

¾ cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

5 TB butter

½ cup heavy cream

salt to sprinkle

Cornmeal to dust

Mix together, chill for at least a couple of hours, then roll to approximately 3mm thick. Cut into desired shapes, dock, sprinkle with salt, chill for thirty minutes, then bake at 350 until lightly browned.
If you're doing 3d shapes, sub half and half for the cream, and knead the poo poo out of it to develop the gluten.

That looks amazing. What does "dock" mean in this context?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That looks amazing. What does "dock" mean in this context?
Poking it with a fork, usually. The idea being to partially pierce the dough, so it doesn't puff up.

There are also special-purpose dough docking tools, but most people just use a fork.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Definitely don't use the other definition of docking on your food.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
They're a nice little cracker, but if you're making them in large quantities, I recommend a variable width pastry cutter and a docking wheel. It gets old cutting them by hand. You can toss some dried herbs or spices to tweak the flavor (Black cardamom is excellent, as is caraway)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mintymenman posted:

1 cup cornmeal

¾ cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

5 TB butter

½ cup heavy cream

salt to sprinkle

Cornmeal to dust

Ah hell yeah. This was just a side thing but, screw it, my tomorrow was free anyway. I wish I had time to experiment with the recipe, but I can just do multiple attempts in parallel. Thanks a mill, this sounds like it’ll work perfectly.

In case people are curious I’m doing a rewatch of all of the Friday the 13th movies for the October Challenge over in CineD, and to celebrate I’m making chili as a reference to Part III. Chili naturally wants cornbread, hence me wondering if there was a way to get cornbread to stay in the shape of a hockey mask.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Alternative that is much easier to adjust on the fly: oval cornbread with piped whipped butter. You can season as above. If you're serving it hot, then maybe science it up with methocel and/or cheese.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ah! I have a lefse rolling pin that might work. It's also to keep crackers from putting.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Can't you just shape the beans and noodles into the hockey mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah that cornmeal cracker worked perfectly ; thanks Mintymenman!

If I'd had more time I''d have done a better job and there wouldn't be that crack by the eye but enh... it plays. The "mask" was supposed to be damaged so it works great. Total joy to work with, easy to shape, minimal mess, tastes good.

Stealing the hell out of that recipe. Really can't thank you enough!