Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know I've been wondering

If Sengoku has the Human Human Fruit: Model Buddha, and Kuma is always holding a bible, does that not imply the existence of a devil fruit based on Jesus Christ?

Think about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nodosaur posted:

If Sengoku has the Human Human Fruit: Model Buddha, and Kuma is always holding a bible, does that not imply the existence of a devil fruit based on Jesus Christ?

Think about it!

Jesus D. Christ

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Jesus D. Christ

amazing

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mythical Human Human Fruit Model: Messiah, but it turns you into Haile Selassie.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Saturn reminds me of the main villain from Monsters Inc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not one of the creepy toys the neighbour kid makes in toy story?

Malah
May 18, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Jesus D. Christ

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nodosaur posted:

Think about it!

Jesus Burgess exists in the story already :grin:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what? you're having me on

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i instantly got transported back to playing final fantasy tactics when queklain shows up while reading this chapter. there is so much mystery left in this world. i love it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
spoiling this because its for a few chapters ago:

i realized every "incident" in one piece led to the destruction of a place, specifically the place that was named:
- ohara destroyed
- god valley gone
- rocky port destroyed (not fulla lead island, just the rocky port)
- mountain god incident (wano city in ruins)

so my guess is whatever the egghead incident is, egghead is destroyed

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

anime was right posted:

i realized every "incident" in one piece led to the destruction of a place, specifically the place that was named:
- ohara destroyed
- god valley gone

Good call! Wondering if we’ll see the mother flame show up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

anime was right posted:

- ohara destroyed
- god valley gone

i came to the same conclusion but for a different reason

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

scary ghost dog posted:

i came to the same conclusion but for a different reason

Is it that you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

anime was right posted:

- ohara destroyed
- god valley gone

What about Nightmares?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it that you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs

no its that theres no scenes of daily life on the island for locals and we havent met any new characters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

scary ghost dog posted:

no its that theres no scenes of daily life on the island for locals and we havent met any new characters

yeah thats definitely an other sign. i dont think any background character has had their faces shown. none. at all. and then the island was evacuated.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Just curious Nodosaur, you didn't know about Ace's death, but you knew about Sabo? That's some pretty good spoiler luck (which I have :smith:).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Just curious Nodosaur, you didn't know about Ace's death, but you knew about Sabo? That's some pretty good spoiler luck (which I have :smith:).

No, I knew about Ace's death. I have for years.

I just didn't expect it to be so sudden and like. Right after the triumph of freeing him.

E: like, I legitimately thought we'd get multiple chapters of them fighting together. I was not prepared.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 10, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's great cause I don't think anyone goes into Marineford expecting Ace to actually survive, but the sheer hope when he gets released is impossible to not get caught up in.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's great cause I don't think anyone goes into Marineford expecting Ace to actually survive, but the sheer hope when he gets released is impossible to not get caught up in.

Really? I think the whole thread collectively convinced itself Ace had to live because that’s just how OP used to roll; Luffy might get put through the wringer but he accomplishes his end goal, and up to that point it was a running joke how no one was allowed to die. It took until the chapter post-gaping magma hole released where the title was The Death of Portgas D Ace for people to accept it.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Marineford has such a weird sliding scale of who's powerful, because there's a lot of people who are barely putting any effort in on both sides, people who are putting 100% in, and people who are half-assing everything but Shanks showing up still ended the war immediately and he even chased off Kaido who was still looking for suicide via cops

But despite the power scaling Whitebeard on his deathbed was still nearly strong enough to send half the grand line underwater. It's weird that Akainu and Akoji's fight only affected a single island instead of affecting the entire climate of the planet

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Eh, I think it's partly just a limitation of the format. You can't have every character fighting to the death because it would take so many loving panels to do that justice. So instead we get a clip show of this guy goes off and fights this guy while we stay focused on Luffy and the major events like Oars Jr. Suppose he could have drawn them more banged them up more, but again, eh. I suppose Kizaru could have light rayed a hole into Ace from anywhere, but that's also way less satisfying a story. They are pretty clearly giving it their all in the last volley they throw at Luffy when he's escaping.

Overall I'd still attest it's still remarkably consistent compared to, well, almost any other fighting series I can think of.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

Think about it!

I wouldn't be surprised if the ancient past One Piece world was actually our technological peak of our Earth world, before it got reshaped by ancient technology and a big world war into the current OP world with the Grand Line and Red Line. Because a Human Human Fruit: Model Buddha DF is really too arbitrary if you think about it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tampa Bae posted:

Marineford has such a weird sliding scale of who's powerful, because there's a lot of people who are barely putting any effort in on both sides, people who are putting 100% in, and people who are half-assing everything but Shanks showing up still ended the war immediately and he even chased off Kaido who was still looking for suicide via cops

But despite the power scaling Whitebeard on his deathbed was still nearly strong enough to send half the grand line underwater. It's weird that Akainu and Akoji's fight only affected a single island instead of affecting the entire climate of the planet

I feel like the main people who weren’t trying were some of the Warlords, mainly like Dofla was screwing around and Moria was trying to grab Oars Jr’s body but mostly everyone else was trying. Hancock was trying but essentially changed sides for Luffy.

The main weird thing about Marineford to me is that people kind of bounce back and forth between being impressed with Luffy’s skills then going like “wow you’re way too much of a rookie to be here!” Despite the fact that Luffy is demonstrably stronger than two of the Warlords that are there, not to mention all of the myriad rank and file running around being canon fodder on both sides.

Also Whitebeard’s fruit is mainly notable because it is one of the few whose sole purpose is just crazy widespread destruction via earthquakes and this is why everyone is afraid of him. I think the magma and ice fruits being amped by their users enough to change the climate of an island is appropriately awesome.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like the main people who weren’t trying were some of the Warlords, mainly like Dofla was screwing around and Moria was trying to grab Oars Jr’s body but mostly everyone else was trying. Hancock was trying but essentially changed sides for Luffy.

The main weird thing about Marineford to me is that people kind of bounce back and forth between being impressed with Luffy’s skills then going like “wow you’re way too much of a rookie to be here!” Despite the fact that Luffy is demonstrably stronger than two of the Warlords that are there, not to mention all of the myriad rank and file running around being canon fodder on both sides.

Also Whitebeard’s fruit is mainly notable because it is one of the few whose sole purpose is just crazy widespread destruction via earthquakes and this is why everyone is afraid of him. I think the magma and ice fruits being amped by their users enough to change the climate of an island is appropriately awesome.
It's more than that. There were multiple Whitebeard generals who should've been near the level of a Katakuri not trying that hard. Mihawk was certainly not trying against Buggy, but Hancock was powerful enough to just kick the same level of enemy that broke apart the Straw Hats apart with zero effort already.

Feels like so many people at Marineford were just holding back to not cause a world war that happened eventually anyway because Luffy has absolutely no qualms about uprooting the status quo

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I think part of the reason for the crazy power scales at Marineford is because like half the Final Boss-Tier fighters were all in the same place throwing down against each-other or glaring menacingly across the aisle. But they happened to bring all their buddies, subordinates, tag-alongs and hangers-on along for the ride so you end up having dudes like Akinu wading through this giant melee of like a thousand named and un-named characters, randomly turning swaths of people into mulch while more evenly-ranked guys are duking it out in one-on-ones right next door.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I'm just gonna declare that One Piece operates under the sames rules as Professional Wrestling, where the more people there are involved in a fight the weaker everyone is. You put 2 wrestlers in a ring and they'll be putting on a 30 minute contest of wills, you put 30 wrestlers in a ring and they'll be getting tossed out after taking a single move.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CatstropheWaitress posted:

No, pretty much everyone goes into Marineford thinking Ace is getting saved. The twist is that you quickly get truckloads of "actually Ace is dead meat" foreshadowing that builds up to a peak before Luffy busts out his Conquerors Haki. Then the vibes switch to "Luffy might actually pull this poo poo off", culminating in the fire cross in the sky. After that your only worry is how is old man Whitebeard gonna get out of this?

And then McFly gets called a chicken.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Drakkel posted:

I'm just gonna declare that One Piece operates under the sames rules as Professional Wrestling, where the more people there are involved in a fight the weaker everyone is. You put 2 wrestlers in a ring and they'll be putting on a 30 minute contest of wills, you put 30 wrestlers in a ring and they'll be getting tossed out after taking a single move.

Also the same rules as ninjas in action movies

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah it was definitely different than say a Luffy vs whoever New World fight with visible Haki effects and the main combatants ending up collapsed from fighting to exhaustion but I think that’s different than “not trying”. It also makes sense since if you fought like that that some mook could just walk up and finish you off so it’s not the right tactic for a massive battlefield with an insane variety of powers like this. For the most part it seemed like people were biding their time and trading volleys at key points, using specific tactics while not trying to over commit and end up exposed in a bad spot. Toward the end you still had the obvious deaths as well as like Marco and Jozu badly injured, so it’s not like this was just a show fight, and I doubt there were other high level Whitebeard allies happy to not try and watch their friends get killed or maimed. I think a lot of it is also that we can’t watch every single side fight or big attack from some random powerful guy that an admiral or whoever no sells (or that drops a bunch of nobodies off to the side of the fight)

Mihawk vs Buggy is a decent callout presuming that if Mihawk was using full sword haki then Buggy’s powers wouldn’t work, but at that point it seemed like he was mainly testing Luffy and Buggy got swapped in and he didn’t know what he was dealing with. I think it’s also worth considering that not everyone was going in with a goal of just wasting the maximum number of people or die trying

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought the fake straw hats were the thing that made me laugh the most

Then Chopper showed up and thought they were his friends…

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drakkel posted:

Yeah this is honestly probably a better way of putting it, although I still think those mini-clashes are effectively narrative shorthand for an epic battle that never-the-less looks less impressive than what you've seen the same people do when they get the spotlight scene

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh my god Zoro fell asleep on the wrong ship.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LUFFY THINKS THEY’RE HIS CREW TOO I AM GOING TO DIE

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey he's into the New World, which means I can post one of my fav set of panels from the Marineford arc

:unsmith:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m a girl, actually ^^;

I don’t blame you though. I’ve only realized I was trans in the last few years and I’ve been around for a while/not advertised it here

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Oh my god Zoro fell asleep on the wrong ship.

It's simultaneously super duper cool, and exceedingly silly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

I’m a girl, actually ^^;

I don’t blame you though. I’ve only realized I was trans in the last few years and I’ve been around for a while/not advertised it here

My b, I usually try to use they/them these days.

Makes it easier when you don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Usopp is muscular now and I don’t know how to deal with that

Sega Dreamcast posted:

My b, I usually try to use they/them these days.

Makes it easier when you don't know.

It’s cool. I just felt I should finally come out, here