Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Shin-chan movies peaked at the nostalgia one.

Yea that one is easily heads and shoulders above the others I've watched. Not to call 'em bad, most of the others I've seen tend to be watchable enough. That one is just on a whole different level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Srice posted:

Yea that one is easily heads and shoulders above the others I've watched. Not to call 'em bad, most of the others I've seen tend to be watchable enough. That one is just on a whole different level.

It's really funny that the series gets movies the same way any kid's franchise does with almost yearly releases despite the fact Shin-chan was originally a seinen manga absolutely not for young-young kids. In my country its rating went from PG to R equivalents changing constantly.

I do have nostalgia for the demon balls one, even if it probably aged the worst of them all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's really funny that the series gets movies the same way any kid's franchise does with almost yearly releases despite the fact Shin-chan was originally a seinen manga absolutely not for young-young kids. In my country its rating went from PG to R equivalents changing constantly.

I do have nostalgia for the demon balls one, even if it probably aged the worst of them all.

Huh, for some reason I thought the original manga was always meant for kids.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shin-chan is one of those things where the original was definitely meant for a slightly older audience but in getting adapted into animation it became way more of a kids thing.

anyway the shin-chan movie about weird dreams and nightmares is another decent one. it's not as good as adult empire but basically none of them are, it just stands out as another one with a somewhat coherent narrative. the older spy-themed one is also decent, it's mostly kinda predictable stuff but it has animation from masaaki yuasa and the ending is cool. i recommend watching the dad robot one if, you want to see nakashima kazuki completely and totally mangle the point of adult empire in the stupidest ways

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

shin-chan is one of those things where the original was definitely meant for a slightly older audience but in getting adapted into animation it became way more of a kids thing.

This also makes the Funimation dub from the 2000s going back the other way kinda funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
its insane to contrast the dub changing action kamen's name to Action Bastard with how in the movies, action kamen getting big fight scenes is treated as a genuinely emotional and moving thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I saw a gif on Twitter of Action Kamen hang gliding along a cruise ship and it was so lavishly animated and presented and it was so weird to think of Action Bastard doing that

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Been going thru those movies lately to indulge in sakuga nerdery, basically working my way back up to Adult Empire(the 9th one) and the eatin has been good, when they finally get down to it. You really feel the consistent hour-thirty length after awhile tho

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh yeah, absolutely I can see the series becoming more kid-friendly since I haven't watched it in ages and the author is dead. Even the original episodes I'd say were fine for kids, just 12-13 yo instead of the 5-7 they originally marketed here. Which caused a lot of moral panic from kids imitating him which bumped the rating to +18 until they settled down on +13 a while later.

Waffleman_ posted:

This also makes the Funimation dub from the 2000s going back the other way kinda funny

As someone who grew up with a faithful dub hearing the stuff that dub did was insane. The series is already pretty dramatic already, what with poo poo like Ume having terrible luck in love, ending up finding a nice boyfriend only for him to die in a terrorist attack on South America.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Didn't expect it to go any other way, but it sucks how crunchy just copied over most of rightstuf's listings without any of the search filters their store had. And the actual product listings don't include things like the publisher despite that being a filter that does exist.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Been going thru those movies lately to indulge in sakuga nerdery, basically working my way back up to Adult Empire(the 9th one) and the eatin has been good, when they finally get down to it. You really feel the consistent hour-thirty length after awhile tho

Yea, I feel like a good chunk of the movies I've seen would be a lot better were they half the length (and I guess in this hypothetical they'd play in a double feature or something). The one I just watched had some pretty nice animation that would have played better if it didn't have to drag itself along to hit that 90 minutes.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Srice posted:

Yea, I feel like a good chunk of the movies I've seen would be a lot better were they half the length (and I guess in this hypothetical they'd play in a double feature or something). The one I just watched had some pretty nice animation that would have played better if it didn't have to drag itself along to hit that 90 minutes.

Ya gotta fit in ALL the bits, hit all the points on that shin checklist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1711403846612947107?t=e56eAJEFHhRu_-k7NayOUg&s=19

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

thats a good one. some other good shows that are now a decade old: non non biyori, kyousougiga, gundam build fighters, log horizon, nagi-asu

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

watching samurai flemenco live was an experience i don't think i'll ever be able to recreate

i'll never forget checking the thread the day that episode 7(?) aired and seeing massive black bars covering what had been a pretty chill show, and then watching the episode to see what all the fuss was about

shame the late-middle portion of the show was dull as bricks but at least the ending was fun

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

Didn't expect it to go any other way, but it sucks how crunchy just copied over most of rightstuf's listings without any of the search filters their store had. And the actual product listings don't include things like the publisher despite that being a filter that does exist.

lol oh no, I always liked rightstuf being pretty good for filtering out stuff I didn’t want or making it easy to scroll through the last month’s of manga releases to see if anything interesting was there

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

ninjewtsu posted:

watching samurai flemenco live was an experience i don't think i'll ever be able to recreate

i'll never forget checking the thread the day that episode 7(?) aired and seeing massive black bars covering what had been a pretty chill show, and then watching the episode to see what all the fuss was about

shame the late-middle portion of the show was dull as bricks but at least the ending was fun

i was so hyped at the scene of Space Flemenco rollcall

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ric Flair was in Willoughby ohio today and I didnt loving know so I didn't get to loving see him

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How the gently caress has Yankee JK KuzuHana-chan been going this long

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4dKeC8mVjY

You know, I think the people making this have a pretty good love for the source material

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

verbal enema posted:

How the gently caress has Yankee JK KuzuHana-chan been going this long
looks like weekly shonen champion doesn't really cancel anything that attains a nominal amount of popularity. it's also one of those magazines where half the covers are of girls in bikinis

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Legit seen someone do that. It was magical.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

No!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/447512401164763141/958020794032750682/mumei.webm

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kickin rad

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Be Kind. Rewind.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

this but laudatory

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no...

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

lol

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is mangaplus not working, I want to read chainsaw man but it just gives me a blank page :(

what's this from

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Silly Billy you use a Beta VCR for DVD's and BluRay's

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

what's this from

https://trace.moe/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FWfQdHds.gif

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

whoa this is a neat site

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

remarkable technology...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How does something like that work, power of large numbers, encyclopedic knowledge of keyframes?