Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They should have invited Martok to the Alamo.

And interacted with a holodeck character played by Marc Alaimo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They should have invited Martok to the Alamo.

Martok would have had the time of his life, then read up on the historical battle and the reasons behind the Texian Rebellion and gone and whomped Miles and Julian upside the head.

E: Actually probably not. But he should.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

It was approximately 7000 vs 200, it was a pretty untenable position. They would have had to give Davy Crockett a Davy Crockett to do it.

That was the size of the full army, but Mexico only committed about 3000. The rest of the troops were elsewhere to deal with Houston.

Depending on when they started the simulation, it could be as low as a 1000 to 200 ratio, with the ability to start counterbattery fire while the Mexicans were still positioning their artillery. If they're starting on March 5, it was completely untenable. If they start on March 1 or earlier, the Texans were inflicting 10 to 1 losses. With the knowledge of when and where the Mexican reinforcements are coming plus devastating counterbattery fire, you might be able to compel the Mexican army to bypass the Alamo altogether.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pretty sure the sim wouldn’t start five days before the fun part. Though a holodeck Total War game would rule

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Martok would have had the time of his life, then read up on the historical battle and the reasons behind the Texian Rebellion and gone and whomped Miles and Julian upside the head.

E: Actually probably not. But he should.

I actually liked when Worf complained about Martok's wife being so harsh with Jadzia and he was like "Worf you've been around these hippie Feds too long, we don't embrace the diversity of alien cultures we CONQUER them!" I'm sure the Klingon perspective of human history would be quite... impolite to most of us now, let alone in the 24th century.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Admiral Ross hastily screams for a level 5 forcefield around Captain Sisko after Martok makes an offhand comment about European colonialism.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Just seen the mirror universe Vedek Bariel episode (ugh) and it made me think - why don't the Terran Rebels ever go to the Gamma quadrant? Feels like a perfect place to hide.
They must know about it if they managed to steal the Defiant plans, surely?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

Just seen the mirror universe Vedek Bariel episode (ugh) and it made me think - why don't the Terran Rebels ever go to the Gamma quadrant? Feels like a perfect place to hide.

Maybe it doesn't exist because the mirror Prophets don't like the mirror Bajorans?

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
My TNG viewing schedule was interrupted by a thankfully benign hospital visit last night, but I'm in the final stretch, so let's attack it head on.

Sorry, sorry, let's attack Troi head on. In a lift. With a knife. Because she's a cake? Phantasms. It's... An oddball follow up on Data's newfound ability to dream, one of the more interesting parts of the Birthright two parter. A fun little mystery, with brain sucking and Troi cakes, chest phones and angry workmen and *waves hands about mysteriously* oooh, what could all the dreams mean? The end result is a laughably literal dream interpretation, but harmless enough. I was hoping the thread with Geordi and the girl who seems to be crushing on him would end with her going "What? HAHAHA, NO, SORRY, you read me completely wrong! Pfhahahahahaha, you DORK." If it's never brought up again, to just leave that hanging without a pay off is WEIRD and DUMB.

Dark Page. Another bawler. If you'd had told me three seasons back that I'd be crying my eyes out at a Troi/Lwaxana episode, I'd have laughed in your face. That's the sort of thing people say isn't it? It's bollocks, I'd probably actually have gone "Oh, okay." and nodded. I think it's a bawler for me for a few reasons, not least the history of depression in my family that I'd only learn about later in life. It made me think about my mum, her mum, etc. Basically just personal poo poo. So, it hit me pretty hard. Even the wilder stuff with the lost daughter, I have a friend who found out a similar thing, that he had a brother who died before he was born. I've had the occasional pop at Sirtis' performances over the course of the show, but she didn't put a foot wrong here. Yeah, it nailed me right in the forehead, the shot of Troi and Lwaxana waking up holding hands at the end, FLOODS.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah Dark Page is a goodie and the older I get the more of its runtime I spend in tears.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Had no real clue Lwaxana would be one of the big redemption arcs of the show. Half A Life was a real kick in the pants in terms of how I looked at her. When she comes back after that with the goofy episode with Alexander, I felt a lot more receptive to her. I'd probably feel the same about the earlier episodes too if I saw them again, possibly?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MuddyFunster posted:

Had no real clue Lwaxana would be one of the big redemption arcs of the show. Half A Life was a real kick in the pants in terms of how I looked at her. When she comes back after that with the goofy episode with Alexander, I felt a lot more receptive to her. I'd probably feel the same about the earlier episodes too if I saw them again, possibly?

You have discovered that Lwaxana is good, actually.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Taear posted:

I don't think they have found the wormhole in the Mirror Universe yet. Pretty sure Terok Nor was still in orbit of Bajor.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

Because she's a cake?

A cellular peptide cake.

With mint frosting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

You have discovered that Lwaxana is good, actually.

She eventually commits one of the purest, most compassionate acts in ST history, it’s an astonishing scene and performance

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

"Originally, Kai Opaka was to have been a man who was spiritual leader of the Bajorans and often conflicted with Starfleet's goals. His visitors had to disrobe while he probed their pagh through deep-tissue massage of their feet. This version of the character was written into the first draft of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Bible. (The Making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, pp. 37-38, 87, 114) "

:thunk:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cenotaph posted:

"Originally, Kai Opaka was to have been a man who was spiritual leader of the Bajorans and often conflicted with Starfleet's goals. His visitors had to disrobe while he probed their pagh through deep-tissue massage of their feet. "

Roddenberry's ghost wrote this.

(actually sounds like they were trying to get a Enterprise gel thing going on so I'm guessing Berman.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
he has the pagh of a creepy uncle

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
When it comes to weird sex poo poo, you honestly can't tell if it's Roddenberry or Berman. It's probably the reason why Rick was picked to be Gene's successor, he was as big of a sexual deviant as the Great Bird was himself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

When it comes to weird sex poo poo, you honestly can't tell if it's Roddenberry or Berman. It's probably the reason why Rick was picked to be Gene's successor, he was as big of a sexual deviant as the Great Bird was himself.

Nah, Gene was very specifically a 70s sex weirdo/possible (probable?) sex pest. Berman was a weaselly little Hollywood exec serial sexual harasser.

You can always tell when something must have been a weird Gene sex mandate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

She eventually commits one of the purest, most compassionate acts in ST history, it’s an astonishing scene and performance

Eventually? Do you mean something later on in DS9?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arivia posted:

Eventually? Do you mean something later on in DS9?

Yeah I dont want to spoil it for the guy, but the turbolift scene

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

cenotaph posted:

"Originally, Kai Opaka was to have been a man who was spiritual leader of the Bajorans and often conflicted with Starfleet's goals. His visitors had to disrobe while he probed their pagh through deep-tissue massage of their feet. This version of the character was written into the first draft of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Bible. (The Making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, pp. 37-38, 87, 114) "

:thunk:

Kai Schneider, are you sure this is necessary?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
in the future, we celebrate sexual deviancy and even have a whole planet dedicated to it! They even have a little statue about it you can get fun copies of to put on your desk to let people know you are DTF

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

in the future, we celebrate sexual deviancy and even have a whole planet dedicated to it! They even have a little statue about it you can get fun copies of to put on your desk to let people know you are DTF

Braga: Gene says you have to make a Sex Planet.

Berman: :manning: Of loving COURSE he does. Can I at least tell Gates and Marina to go topless for that episode?

Braga: He says there should be gay sex on it too.

Berman: God I can't wait for that old hippy coot to die...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you think "ugh what sleazy exec wrote this" it's Berman but if you think "ugh what kink-powered alien deviant would even find this arousing, who's got the free time to think this up" it's Gene

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The video game Invasion of the Body Snatchers episode is so dumb. Honestly a waste of the invasion from within premise

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

No Dignity posted:

The video game Invasion of the Body Snatchers episode is so dumb. Honestly a waste of the invasion from within premise

between that and the one where picard forces a whole planet to go cold turkey it feels like there was a war on drugs episode quota in place

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nessus posted:

It was approximately 7000 vs 200, it was a pretty untenable position. They would have had to give Davy Crockett a Davy Crockett to do it.
"Computer, Davy Crockett."
[The Boss appears with a long rectangular crate]

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Which is it, Julian, loyalty to the mission or loyalty to Miles?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Computer, create a Texian capable of defeating Santa Ana.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's how you get a robotic Big Tex terrorizing the station!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think they have found the wormhole in the Mirror Universe yet. Pretty sure Terok Nor was still in orbit of Bajor.

They hadn't, but if Smiley stole the plans for defiant surely he also saw the wormhole and could find it in his reality

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Computer, create a Texian capable of defeating Santa Ana.

PROGRAM COMPLETE, ENTER WHEN READY

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd assume the wormhole aliens in the MU are basically the Pah Wraiths and that's not a door you want to knock on

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The whole discovery of the wormhole is weird really, since they just basically stumbled upon it after a period with presumably heavy traffic and seemingly a long history of space faring before the occupation too.

The hindsight explanation is that it had to be discovered at that time for the Sisko to fulfill his destiny, so the prophets opened it at the right time for that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, it wasn't near a planet or anything. Space is really big.

Also they do mention that ships usually went around the plasma belt it orbits inside.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It has been a long time, but doesn't Dax actually find it? She's the one that actually did the analysis that plots the position.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Attached: It's an episode of two halves. The frustrating diplomatic half where the Enterprise rocks up to a planet that reckons it's ready to join the Federation. Well, half of it does. Alright, three quarters. Either way, hated hearing "Kes" and "Prytt" over and over again and it should probably go without saying, both factions are ANNOYING FUCKHEADS. Fair due though, this part of the story does lead to Riker laying down the law on both parties emphatically, a winning moment from Frakes. The better half of the episode lies in Picard and Beverly trapped down on the planet, doing the running, escaping, surviving, etc, while stuck with the ability to tune into one another's thoughts. It's generally quite charming and explores their relationship nicely. Also, you get the comical sight of Mcfadden descending multiple loose rocky inclines like she's being tailed by a chorus line. You can almost hear the "Ratatatatatat-TAH-DAAAAAH" as she goes.

Force of Nature: Data's rear end in a top hat cat. Geordie's irritating drive to make a number go a bit higher. The stupid, stupid scientist woman whose response to her research not being IMMEDIATELY acted upon is to suicide herself hard enough to open up a massive deadly space rift/Prince album cover. The general whiff of a muddled environmental message, poorly and solemnly delivered, man oh man, what a drag. I take it "warp drive having a deadly impact on the space environment" will never, ever, ever be mentioned again anywhere, ever.

(next post "OH, HEY, YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENED IN LOWER DECKS")

(but hopefully not, because the idea loving sucks and deserves to be ignored forever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MuddyFunster posted:

Force of Nature: Data's rear end in a top hat cat. Geordie's irritating drive to make a number go a bit higher. The stupid, stupid scientist woman whose response to her research not being IMMEDIATELY acted upon is to suicide herself hard enough to open up a massive deadly space rift/Prince album cover. The general whiff of a muddled environmental message, poorly and solemnly delivered, man oh man, what a drag. I take it "warp drive having a deadly impact on the space environment" will never, ever, ever be mentioned again anywhere, ever.

It's actually supposed to be why Voyager has the goofy nacelles that raise into an angled position when it goes to warp. Didn't even take Lower Decks happening.

Also they mention it like once more in TNG.