Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also :negative:

This schedule is gonna be loving untenable. That's like 9 years to finish the remaining 6 seasons if they actually manage to go all the way with it. My mother's started working her way through the audiobooks because she's legitimately worried she won't make it to see the end of the show at this rate, assuming it's not just up and cancelled after Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^
Well, if we can hopefully dodge any more global plagues and maybe the CEO's of various companies won't try to act like pixar villains then we'll probably get faster turnarounds between seasons.

Devorum posted:

Anyone who complains about Eye being an LOTR ripoff is a crybaby weakling that should be forced to read Sword of Shannara to see what a real LOTR knockoff looks like.

I've read both thank you. EotW has way more food description in it so it's closer to the ripoff title.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

^^^
Well, if we can hopefully dodge any more global plagues and maybe the CEO's of various companies won't try to act like pixar villains then we'll probably get faster turnarounds between seasons.

Here's hoping 🤞🏻

CainFortea posted:

I've read both thank you. EotW has way more food description in it so it's closer to the ripoff title.

Also ASoIaF is the food description series. WoT is the architecture description series :hai:

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

They're gonna need de-aging tech by the time the last couple seasons roll around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arrinien posted:

They're gonna need de-aging tech by the time the last couple seasons roll around.

We're finally gonna get a screen accurate Aes Sedai "ageless face", the one that gets more and more viscerally unnerving to look at the longer you stare at it and you can just innately tell after a couple of seconds of looking too long that you're looking at a 70 year old woman behind that 30 year old face.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like the Age of Legends scene that we got earns the title for biggest wet fart (probably due to covid or whatever other fuckery, but still). Two people sitting on couches Star Wars prequels style? gently caress outta here.

Devorum posted:

Anyone who complains about Eye being an LOTR ripoff is a crybaby weakling that should be forced to read Sword of Shannara to see what a real LOTR knockoff looks like.

I've been mad about this since I was like 15, god drat. The characters are one-to-one mappings even. Except Legolas is two elves and one is named Durin :psyduck:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I feel like the Age of Legends scene that we got earns the title for biggest wet fart (probably due to covid or whatever other fuckery, but still). Two people sitting on couches Star Wars prequels style? gently caress outta here.

I've been mad about this since I was like 15, god drat. The characters are one-to-one mappings even. Except Legolas is two elves and one is named Durin :psyduck:

I read Sword when I was 12 and even that young I realized quickly it was a straight pallete swap.

I read Eye much later (started the series with Great Hunt because my library only had books 2&3...I think I finally bought Eye after book 5 released) and while it does borrow a lot from LOTR, it's still recognizably its own thing. I do think it's a decent book, even if the ending is a bit weird. I think a lot of folks overplay the similarities because it's trendy to do so, while simultaneously ignoring why the similarities are there.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think you'll find that WOT has more in common with the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. :pseudo:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://www.vulture.com/article/wheel-of-time-season-2-showrunner-explains-adaptation-choices.html

quote:

When you adapt a series with the size and scope of The Wheel of Time, it’s a constant process of deciding what to keep, what to cut, and what to change. Is there a big-picture philosophy behind how you make these decisions?
Since the very first day I started on this project, the idea was adapting the whole series of books, not the individual books. There are some books that lend themselves extraordinarily well to television adaptation. Game of Thrones does. You read it as a television writer and you’re just like, “Oh, there’s the act out, there’s the episode for that character.”

The Wheel of Time is really written like a novel. You have a vast web of interweaving moments and characters, and it’s 15 books, so the volume is so huge that it’s impossible to tackle in a modern television series. I love the books, and I was like, “We need to approach it as a whole series.”

So for instance, in this season we’re kind of loosely adapting books two and three.
This is a bit odd to me. I mean the early books are hugely cinematic. They are not too structurally complicated either, and the characters do each have their moments albeit Matt and Egwene not quite so much in book 1.
Then again he also said in an interview back when season 1 was released, that they wanted the feel of the show to be like the later books from early on so that's why they are only loosely adapting the early books. Which is also a bit crazy to me, but there we go.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

El Grillo posted:

https://www.vulture.com/article/wheel-of-time-season-2-showrunner-explains-adaptation-choices.html

This is a bit odd to me. I mean the early books are hugely cinematic. They are not too structurally complicated either, and the characters do each have their moments albeit Matt and Egwene not quite so much in book 1.
Then again he also said in an interview back when season 1 was released, that they wanted the feel of the show to be like the later books from early on so that's why they are only loosely adapting the early books. Which is also a bit crazy to me, but there we go.
Yeah, back in season 1 he said that they deliberately wanted to have the world a bit bigger right from the beginning - hence including the Tar Valon stuff. He also said that due to Barney Harris leaving they rewrote the entire season 2, which was originally supposed to have had Rand, Perrin, and Mat together on the Hunt for the Horn.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

DTurtle posted:

Yeah, back in season 1 he said that they deliberately wanted to have the world a bit bigger right from the beginning - hence including the Tar Valon stuff. He also said that due to Barney Harris leaving they rewrote the entire season 2, which was originally supposed to have had Rand, Perrin, and Mat together on the Hunt for the Horn.

I have a hard time believing him on that. With all the hand-waiving they've done to solve various plot holes, they could have easily hand-waived a way to reconnect New Mat with the group to join them on the hunt. That would have been a lot easier than rewriting an entire season.

Why Amazon gave this show to a guy who's claim to fame was being a writer on the worst seasons of Chuck, I'll never know.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the perfidious rafe… the father of lies

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Do you not believe s2 was supposed to have the 3 boys together?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

th3t00t posted:

I think Amazon has used the wrong modeling for their algorithm and badly miscalculated the proper episode count. Trying to game the system with low episode counts per season to cater to low attention spans doesn't work. Making content that is good enough to pay attention to no matter the episode count does work.

GoT and House of the Dragon are 10 episode seasons and blew WoT away in terms of popularity. People actually got upset at GoT for s7-s8 when they went with fewer episodes (among other things).

A big fan of House of Dragons! Big moments that hit really well and at leat one scene that made me on the verge of tears (goddam Paddy Considine is an amazing actor). Wonderful job making you believe in those hosed up family dynamics.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You can tell how popular WoT is just by the fact they don’t have any Funko Pops. They make Funko Pops for 80s McDonald’s toys.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Devorum posted:

Lol. My first fantasy I read when I was like 9. It was my LotR until I actually read them. In that vein, I thought they were great. The books get progressively better iirc

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

We're finally gonna get a screen accurate Aes Sedai "ageless face", the one that gets more and more viscerally unnerving to look at the longer you stare at it and you can just innately tell after a couple of seconds of looking too long that you're looking at a 70 year old woman behind that 30 year old face.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Lol. My first fantasy I read when I was like 9. It was my LotR until I actually read them. In that vein, I thought they were great. The books get progressively better iirc

They do get better, and I actually like a lot of the later world building.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They even got their own TV series too!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I never watched it because I can't take seeing a bad version of what is objectively maybe not the best quality series but so important to little shageletic.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am clearly not as charitable towards this show because I mostly keep remembering it for the stuff I haven't received, rather than what it's actual high points for other people might be. I think that might be a fundamental difference between a show liker or not.

Sorry for dragging this up from a while ago but I really think this is the crux of it. Maybe five or ten years ago I made a conscious choice to stop focusing on parts of a thing I dislike and instead focusing on the stuff I enjoyed. I got sick of being such an angry internet nerd all the time and I could kinda tell it was obnoxious for people around me. There's still stuff that I dislike or think could be better done, I'm just more zen about it and set it off to the side instead of fixating on it to the point that it eclipses the parts I liked. Honestly I think it just boils down to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all say your piece and move on with life."

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ragnarokette posted:

Sorry for dragging this up from a while ago but I really think this is the crux of it. Maybe five or ten years ago I made a conscious choice to stop focusing on parts of a thing I dislike and instead focusing on the stuff I enjoyed. I got sick of being such an angry internet nerd all the time and I could kinda tell it was obnoxious for people around me. There's still stuff that I dislike or think could be better done, I'm just more zen about it and set it off to the side instead of fixating on it to the point that it eclipses the parts I liked. Honestly I think it just boils down to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all say your piece and move on with life."

Wisdom. :hai:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Also sorry in advance if anyone in this thread feels like I just passive-aggressively called them a miserable nerd, I just wanted to talk about my own experience based on a good insight.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Data Graham posted:

We're there any big fantasy series from the 90s-00s that didn't get an adaptation at this point? Sword of Truth, Riverworld, Earthsea, Amber is on the way...

Edit: though granted Earthsea was just a Ghibli movie and Riverworld was a pilot that was passed on.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

bio347 posted:

So, there's something that's always kinda bothered me here, keeping in mind that I'm pretty dumb and that this is by no means my area of expertise: they made The Lord of the Rings into movies. And the theatrical cut is not all that much longer than an eight-episode season.

I understand that WoT and LotR aren't written in the same way and all that, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that you cannot fit EotW into the same amount of time as the whole-rear end LotR. Is Jordan REALLY so much more dense?
From a page or two back but, for some reason I get a kick out of thinking about how EotW might work as a movie, perhaps because when I was a kid I always envisaged EotW adapted into a movie like Fellowship was.

tl;dr I do think EotW could also make a good 3 hour movie, but it's much more difficult to know what to cut compared to Fellowship.

Fellowship is around 170,000 words even with the Tolkein verbiage. That includes (as someone else pointed out) obviously-not-required stuff like Crickhollow, Bombadil etc.
EotW by contrast is just over 300,000 words and in my view the pacing is relatively speedy, things mostly keep moving pretty quickly at last until the late-mid trudge-to-Caemlyn section.
Fellowship has 22 chapters, EotW has 52 chapters (partly of course that's due to Tolkein's longer chapters of course).

If you were adapting EotW for a movie you would have to keep most of the content of the intro chapters in Eamond's Field in there, IMO. There's a lot of character- and world-building that needs to happen. Plus you don't want to start the real action too quickly in a three hour movie.
In FotR the prologue was about 7 minutes, and the Shire stuff was about 29 minutes. That's probably about right for what you would need in an EotW adaptation for the LTT & Ishy/Dragonmount prologue + everything up to leaving Two Rivers.

Things you would probably have to cut entirely from EotW:
- maybe Bael Domon & The Spray? Although frankly not that much screentime is needed anyway to include this; and you need to get Rand/Matt/Thom to Whitebridge somehow, and the time with Thom teaching the boys is worth it to make his fake-out death in Whitebridge land properly.
- Perrin & Egwene meeting and travelling with the Tuatha'an? This is nice stuff for Perrin's character, but not essential.
- maybe not all of Caemlyn, but at least Rand's palace adventure? That stuff is great fun and introduces a bunch of important future characters, but it would probably overload the audience with new characters and info. Plus it might also look quite ridiculous on screen. There are other ways you can have Rand and Elaine meet in a future film. Plus, Elaida's foretelling about Rand gives too much of the game away even for a cinema audience.

I thought about also saying that Baerlon has to go, and you just have the chase sequence after they leave Two Rivers and then they end up straight in Shadara Logoth... that's an option, but I don't know if that would feel right, pacing-wise. IMO, Baerlon helps build up the danger nicely because you get a contrast of (a) the party all feeling safe & dancing in the inn together whilst Thom performs, but then (b) Rand's surprise encounter with a Fade in the hallway / Fain sneaking around / Whitecloaks (it's good to introduce them before Perrin & Egwene get captured by them later) / running the gently caress away again. The Eamond's Field folks learn that nowhere is safe.

Things you could cut down a lot without removing entirely:
- A bunch of the individual inns and villages and farms on Rand & Matt's long trudge to Caemlyn.
- Some of Perrin & Egwene's journey with Elyas (the swarms of ravens chapter goes on quite a bit, although it's good to keep the abandoned Stedding in, it introduces the concept of Ogier and maybe also gives a chance for Elyas to tell Artur Hawkwing's story like in the book).

With all that I think you can fit in all the major plot beats in 3 hours, which would look something like (I have no real idea I just find it fun to think it through, sue me):
Prologue (~7 minutes)
Two Rivers (~28 minutes)
Flight to Taren Ferry (~5 minutes)
Baerlon + escape with trollocs battle at the hill (~20 minutes)
Shadar Logoth (~15 minutes)
Nynaeve & Moiraine & Lan hang out + Bayle Domon & Whitebridge & Tom 'death' + Elyas Machera & the wolves (~30 minutes)
the Whitecloaks camp, P&E's escape, Four Kings (~20 minutes)
Loial, & reunion in Caemlyn (~15 minutes)
the Ways (~8 minutes)
Fal Dara (~7 minutes)
the Blight (~7 minutes)
the Eye of the World, Tarwin's Gap battle (~15 minutes)
...and a little Fal Dara again for an epilogue scene (~3 minutes)

One thing I didn't realise is that FotR's actual running time is actually only about 2 hours 50 minutes to the credits. So in theory if you got a 3 hour movie for EotW (lol never gonna happen) you might get a whole extra 10 minutes!
Seriously, I think you would need them. There is so much to pack in.

/effortpost

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 11, 2023

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

We're there any big fantasy series from the 90s-00s that didn't get an adaptation at this point? Sword of Truth, Riverworld, Earthsea, Amber is on the way...

Edit: though granted Earthsea was just a Ghibli movie and Riverworld was a pilot that was passed on.

there was some lovely earthsea film too

e: it was a tv miniseries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(miniseries)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Dragonriders of Pern
Dragonbards Trilogy

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Assassin's Apprentice never got one. Do the Drenai books count?

ChubbyChecker posted:

there was some lovely earthsea film too

e: it was a tv miniseries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(miniseries)

Ahh, yes...the one where 99% of the explicitly brown characters were lily white and Ged looked like he was 40 despite the actor being 25.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 11, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Dragonlance got a lovely direct-to-DVD animated adaption of Dragons of the Autumn Twilight starring Kiefer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless about 10-15 years ago too, but that was it and it clearly didn't do well enough to justify finishing the rest of the Chronicles trilogy. I don't think Forgotten Realms has had any media adaptations done for it either and that's a setting rife for it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Dragonlance got a lovely direct-to-DVD animated adaption of Dragons of the Autumn Twilight starring Kiefer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless about 10-15 years ago too, but that was it and it clearly didn't do well enough to justify finishing the rest of the Chronicles trilogy. I don't think Forgotten Realms has had any media adaptations done for it either and that's a setting rife for it.

"Animated" is giving it a lot more credit than it deserves.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

nine-gear crow posted:

The new D&D movie with Chris Pine is in the Forgotten Realms and it's a hoot. No real appearances from any of the various novel characters, though

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sword of truth had an adaptation? Isn't that what Legend of the Seeker is?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this discussion is reminding me of that brief attempt at a dresden files tv show on the scifi channel that absolutely sucked poo poo to the point where it only got 12 episodes and a weird fumble in the first place had them airing episode 3 before the initial 2-episode premiere

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Riverworld actually got two swings at the bat. There was the failed pilot turned TV movie in 2003, and then a miniseries pilot in 2010 with Tamoh Pinnikett from Battlestar Galatia which ALSO failed to make it to a series :eng101:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

this discussion is reminding me of that brief attempt at a dresden files tv show on the scifi channel that absolutely sucked poo poo to the point where it only got 12 episodes and a weird fumble in the first place had them airing episode 3 before the initial 2-episode premiere

I kind of loved that janky rear end show, and it's what got me into the books. It definitely wasn't good, though, and just lol at them trying to cram entire books into a couple of episodes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

i dont believe Memory, Sorrow and Thorn ever got an adaptation. It was late 80s/early 90s

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

If the Sandman can do an episode with cats then where's my live action Tailchaser's Song? :catstare:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Devorum posted:

I kind of loved that janky rear end show, and it's what got me into the books. It definitely wasn't good, though, and just lol at them trying to cram entire books into a couple of episodes.

making his rod and staff a drum stick and hockey stick was an extremely good bit

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, but later on the series you get LOTR style characters battling against an evil AI suypercomputer with lasers and poo poo. (Antrax, if anyone is curious.)

Shannara is dumb. But it's occasionally the fun kind of dumb.

CainFortea posted:

Dragonriders of Pern

Pern would be hard to do. Doesn't nearly every book (or so) focus on a new generation of characters? I was about to say people would hate changing the cast every season, but some shows do that now, like Fargo. Not sure it would work for a fantasy show.

But speaking of sci-fi elements in your fantasy series...

I have a signed copy of The Masterharper of Pern lying around here somewhere. Anne McCaffrey seemed like a very nice women when I met her, a couple of years before she died.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Pern would be hard to do. Doesn't nearly every book (or so) focus on a new generation of characters?

Not really no. There's only about 2 "generations" of people in the main story books. iirc the main story only spans about 20ish years or so.

Edit: Naturally some absolute crazy person did a timeline of (most) major events in the entire universe of the books (since there is time travel this is Rather Complicated). Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be complete. But...

Lessa wakes at dawn, the opening to the first main story book happens on turn 2505.
Jaxom is confirmed as Lord Holder of Ruatha in 2523 which is only a few turns away from the end of the main story.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 11, 2023