Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

Anyone watch the new Haunted Mansion? Any good?

I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Medullah posted:

It's cute. Good for kid horror. Weirdly-paced but there's some surprisingly solid parts and emotions. Maybe my expectations were low but I got to see it in a theater of kids who were having a lot of fun so that helped.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Watched Totally Killer and I wish it was good but I was mostly just bored. There's something there but the comedy doesn't really hit hard enough for me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK started watching the first episode of Chucky Season 3 and lmao. last season I literally told my friend they should bring back Freddie (i know her real name is lara chorostecki, she will always be freddie to me <3 ) like they do with Devon Sawa and here she is again! This show spoils me so much.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The more I think about Night Teeth the more I hate it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I just watched The Faculty for the first time, are there other good teen/highschool 90s horror movies besides Scream/I Know what you did last summer?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

e:
Vrong thread

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

TheBizzness posted:

I just watched The Faculty for the first time, are there other good teen/highschool 90s horror movies besides Scream/I Know what you did last summer?

the craft?

for horror comedy there's buffy and idle hands

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

TheBizzness posted:

The Craft, Urban Legend, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Idle Hands, Tammy and the T-Rex, Disturbing Behavior, Popcorn, Dr. Giggles, Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest, Mirror Mirror, My Boyfriend’s Back, and Teenage Exorcist.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife's fallen into her yearly binge of made for TV/low-budget adaptations of Stephen King. Any more obscure picks in the category that we should check out?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

She has 100% seen it already but The Night Flier (1997) is probably my favorite Stephen King adaptation and I'm fairly certain that one was straight to video.

Miguel Ferrer is amazing as the sleaziest tabloid journalist ever and I'm like 90% certain Nightcrawler (2014) is at least partly inspired by this film where a vampire flies a small airplane.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0BwA-o66uA

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

My wife's fallen into her yearly binge of made for TV/low-budget adaptations of Stephen King. Any more obscure picks in the category that we should check out?

Storm of the Century

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah Night Flier and Storm of the Century would be my two picks for underrated/under the radar good King adaptions.

I also just rewatched Graveyard Shift and I’ll stand by it as a fun grimey pic.

There’s a Canadian tv adaption of the same story as Maximum Overdrive which is different but fun I think. Trucks.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 12, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is Rose Red any good? I saw that just popped up on streaming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ruddiger posted:

I haven’t seen it in a long time but I wanna say no. Like it’s fine but it’s a cheap tv adaption of King kind of shamelessly doing The Haunting.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Darthemed posted:

The Craft, Urban Legend, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Idle Hands, Tammy and the T-Rex, Disturbing Behavior, Popcorn, Dr. Giggles, Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest, Mirror Mirror, My Boyfriend’s Back, and Teenage Exorcist.

Thank you!

ruddiger posted:

It’s boring as hell.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That too. It might have been a fine 90 minute movie but it’s a drawn out multi episode mini series loaded with drawn out commercial breaks and poo poo. It’s just not good.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

It felt like it needed the GIF pulled out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember the visual effects in Rose Red being atrocious. And one of the actors died mid-production and you can tell they had no idea what to do about it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Storm of the Century has a loving killer ending and for me is the most underrated Stephen King TV adaptation.

Like its just a total loving downer of a ending and you gotta admire the guts it took for someone to be like "Yeah gently caress it lets go with that "

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 12, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s also worth noting Rose Red wasn’t a novel or short story or anything. It was King writing a story direct for tv. And it was originally pitched by King to Spielberg as a Haunting remake. It just became a tv mini series knockoff after they did that bad Haunting remake. Also King was hit by a car while rewriting the script into a mini and wrote it in recovery. So it’s just kind of a mess.

And weirdly it has a spin-off film.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 12, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You know another underrated one is Dolores Claiborne. Just a stellar loving cast and brutal loving story. No ghost or goblins or any other poo poo. Just cold hard reality.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it’s arguably more of a thriller/crime film than a horror. But it’s drat good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Rose Red has some embarrassing performances too, mainly from Nancy Travis.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/kislingtwits/status/1712327099015627115?s=46

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The preview image is also a faux vhs box. Shout Factory released this and a few other movies in this style to promote the vhs nostalgia piece Adjust Your Tracking

http://thevhsvault.com

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Wow, that's a fun gimmick for a day or two

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

to whomst it may concern, the STARZ Courteney Cox Shining riff Shining Vale is pretty fun and funny and coming back for season 2 tomorrow. very good cast

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

C-Euro posted:

Storm of the Century is really good, highly recommended. Rose Red is perfectly fine, but it's one of those things you can put on TV and do your laundry or something and not miss much.

I have a soft spot for Desperation but that's mostly due to Ron Perlman. My wife and I got him to sign our DVD, his face lit up, and he said "the best part of this movie was they didn't have to pack up any of the scenery at the end, I chewed it all!".

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Medullah posted:

It’s not very good and way too long. Its 2 hours when it should be closer to 1 probably. It’s scary in the same sense of Hocus Pocus, but lacks any of the charisma really. The main issue is that there’s just too much story crammed in: the leads and their personal drama and then background of mansion itself. The premise is solid (gotta stay in this mansion once you enter or ghosts will follow you), but just too much stuff crammed in. Oh and Owen Wilson is actively bad in this.

Some of the references to the ride are fun at least. And good to see Danny Devito in movies still.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't mind Owen Wilson in Haunted Mansion, and Danny Devito is hilarious in it. I agree it was probably 15 or 20 minutes too long but what can you do, I think the ship has sailed on that issue by now. Every major studio release is gonna be 2+ hours, gotta accept it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember watching Storm of the Century with my aunt and uncle and cousins when it first came out and they ended up arguing all night about what they would do in that situation.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Haunted Mansion (2023) was good but I wish Disney would stop sending Black families to seemingly die in haunted houses. Black Americans have suffered enough, they don't need a megacorp to sacrifice one family every twenty years to ensure their prosperity.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Haunted Mansion was pretty solid. I have a massive Haunted Mansion tattoo so I'm a little bias but it's filled with very insane small references to the ride all over the film. The only thing that was really bad about it was it has an ABSURD amount of product placement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

Haunted Mansion was pretty solid. I have a massive Haunted Mansion tattoo so I'm a little bias but it's filled with very insane small references to the ride all over the film. The only thing that was really bad about it was it has an ABSURD amount of product placement.

Yea I think I enjoyed it more because I watched the little documentary about the ride right before I watched the movie. I'd been on the ride several times when I was a kid but it's been a long time so it was nice to get a refresher.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does Owen Wilson get decapitated by a comically large Lion pendulum in a fireplace?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

The preview image is also a faux vhs box. Shout Factory released this and a few other movies in this style to promote the vhs nostalgia piece Adjust Your Tracking

http://thevhsvault.com

Really cool to see that VHS Vault is still around.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if this is kosher to post (I'll delete if not) because to my knowledge it's not available anywhere else after its short run on Fear Dot Net but apparently there's a short prequel film to JT Petty's Burrowers called Blood Red Earth and it's here on vimeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think I enjoyed it more because I watched the little documentary about the ride right before I watched the movie. I'd been on the ride several times when I was a kid but it's been a long time so it was nice to get a refresher.

Is the ghost camera thing part of the ride now? I don’t remember it being there but felt like a new ride feature they were setting up.

Also what’s the name of the documentary, sounds fun.