Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Of course let's not forget that letting a country use its own money again is exactly the same as flying that money directly to their leader hot off the presses in 747s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Been also this narrative come back up, I definitely remember hearing it before and I guess there's no simple and straightforward clapback to this question?
https://twitter.com/dbongino/status/1711546874220433618?t=_PxnUMzvQ7iS5zlqxSLZtA&s=19

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, some of that is absolutely true - Egypt and Jordan saw the Palestinians as pawns to be used to raise popular opinion against Israel and had no actual interest in giving them solace or aid. But that failure does not at all excuse Israel for their current treatment of Palestine; you might as well point out that the rest of Europe and the United States had no interest in taking in Jewish refugees as a way of ignoring what Nazi Germany was doing to them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cons trying real hard to explain how two wrongs make a right lately

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Ben Shapiro canned for not being enough of a shitbag.
https://x.com/jules_su/status/1711469625223823360?s=20

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Left Ventricle posted:

Ben Shapiro canned for not being enough of a shitbag.
https://x.com/jules_su/status/1711469625223823360?s=20

lmao I got got

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tarezax posted:

lmao I got got

OH NO YOU JUST GOT CANCELLED

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Man I hope this means it'll be easier to find parking at Costco on Saturday!
https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1712117610412687859?s=19

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Former Major League Baseball player, Steve Garvey - who's always been kind of a phony baloney commercial shallow shitheel even in his playing days - is running for Diane Feinstein's senate seat as a "centrist republican". Which is neither here nor there, really, but it strikes me odd that it's the GOP who always run these candidates whose only claim to fame is..well...being famous.

For all the talk about how celebrities and athletes should shut the gently caress and play ball or stay in acting, just about every time someone branches out they seem to be Republicans. Or sometimes Libertarians. Going all the way back to Reagan, I think of Clint Eastwood, Jesse Ventura, Jim Bunning, Arnold, Fred Thompson, Jack Kemp, Steve Largent, William Bradley, Jon Runyan and now certainly Donald Trump, Tommy Tuberville and Herschel Walker.

You have your Al Frankens, Jerry Springers and Sony Bonos but it's weird that any famous person with microphones constantly being shoved in their face need to STFU about politics unless they're GOP leaning.

Also, whoo boy. RWM is having a field day and a real normal one re: Hamas and Israel.

They're reaching new lows blaming this on Biden, even for them, and even though Biden is 100% behind Israel both in word and with the wallet. Not to mention arms. Somehow, this is all Biden's fault and it's pretty disgusting listening to them do their normal mental gymnastics to go above and beyond in tying it to him. Like this wouldn't happen under Trump. They're also going to great lengths to tie this to Iran (and maybe they're right) but there's very little journalism going on in doing so.

It's gotten me to thinking a LOT about what a reaction might be if another terrorist attack hits US soil any time soon. Because I can assure you it aint gonna be another "we must all rally around the president right now" reaction the way it was for Bush during 9/11.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Panfilo posted:

Is he coordinating with A.N.T.I.F.A. Commander and Destro this time?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is Loom currently living/posting from FL?

just wondering what her day to day or hour to hour life is like and how she even goes about accessing food , water , shelter, and a internet connection/power source to post. like does she have a failkid/nepo baby job at some regressive org? or is she like governor Lake and she lives in Margo? catching glimps of donnie and living off food service?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

is Loom currently living/posting from FL?

just wondering what her day to day or hour to hour life is like and how she even goes about accessing food , water , shelter, and a internet connection/power source to post. like does she have a failkid/nepo baby job at some regressive org? or is she like governor Lake and she lives in Margo? catching glimps of donnie and living off food service?

She's been employed by alt right stuff like Project Veritas, and she used to have monetized content on social media. Probably does on Twitter now, being a loud mouth reactionary gets you paid there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

Former Major League Baseball player, Steve Garvey - who's always been kind of a phony baloney commercial shallow shitheel even in his playing days - is running for Diane Feinstein's senate seat as a "centrist republican". Which is neither here nor there, really, but it strikes me odd that it's the GOP who always run these candidates whose only claim to fame is..well...being famous.

For all the talk about how celebrities and athletes should shut the gently caress and play ball or stay in acting, just about every time someone branches out they seem to be Republicans. Or sometimes Libertarians. Going all the way back to Reagan, I think of Clint Eastwood, Jesse Ventura, Jim Bunning, Arnold, Fred Thompson, Jack Kemp, Steve Largent, William Bradley, Jon Runyan and now certainly Donald Trump, Tommy Tuberville and Herschel Walker.

You have your Al Frankens, Jerry Springers and Sony Bonos but it's weird that any famous person with microphones constantly being shoved in their face need to STFU about politics unless they're GOP leaning.

Also, whoo boy. RWM is having a field day and a real normal one re: Hamas and Israel.

They're reaching new lows blaming this on Biden, even for them, and even though Biden is 100% behind Israel both in word and with the wallet. Not to mention arms. Somehow, this is all Biden's fault and it's pretty disgusting listening to them do their normal mental gymnastics to go above and beyond in tying it to him. Like this wouldn't happen under Trump. They're also going to great lengths to tie this to Iran (and maybe they're right) but there's very little journalism going on in doing so.

It's gotten me to thinking a LOT about what a reaction might be if another terrorist attack hits US soil any time soon. Because I can assure you it aint gonna be another "we must all rally around the president right now" reaction the way it was for Bush during 9/11.

They've been leaning really hard on the genocidal rhetoric. If a terrorist attack happened in the US it would be named on the "open borders" Biden allowed.

They're also doing this thing where they insist you cannot separate Hamas from Palestinians, nor separate anti zionism from anti semitism. And keeping hysteria going about BLM by pointing out their support of Hamas.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Panfilo posted:

They’re going to do the worst thing you can do to a white person. Book a Friday 4:30pm work meeting.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Panfilo posted:

They've been leaning really hard on the genocidal rhetoric. If a terrorist attack happened in the US it would be named on the "open borders" Biden allowed.

They're also doing this thing where they insist you cannot separate Hamas from Palestinians, nor separate anti zionism from anti semitism. And keeping hysteria going about BLM by pointing out their support of Hamas.

If a major attack had happened during the Trump administration, it would have been blamed on Obama's border policies that Trump was in the process of "fixing".

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Panfilo posted:

Been also this narrative come back up, I definitely remember hearing it before and I guess there's no simple and straightforward clapback to this question?
https://twitter.com/dbongino/status/1711546874220433618?t=_PxnUMzvQ7iS5zlqxSLZtA&s=19

It's very easy to answer. The reason they reach back that far on Jordan and Egypt is because it's not the current reality.

Israel has agreements with those countries. People don't leave Gaza without Israeli approval. Israel controls the entirety of Gaza, and has made it explicit in their agreements with their neighbors.

The Hamas attacks in Gaza aren't like 9/11 or Pearl Harbor at all. Israel has controlled Gaza completely for nearly 2 decades. One of the downsides to operating an open air prison filled with civilians is that at some point they may decide to mutiny.

Then Israel likes to say Gaza picked Hamas to represent them so therefore everything is fair game. You go look up what Israelis have done to every Palestinian or Israeli organization or leader that requested peace talks. I'll wait. Israel removed all options except for Hamas, and now wants to cry about how the terrorists they put in power are being mean to them. They picked their opposition, assuming that opposition could never damage them and be useful to them in international politics. That opposition decided to fight back.

Of course it's all unfortunate, but the only way to side with Israel here is to ignore the last 50 years of history where Israel explicitly created the conditions for this specific outcome. I'm Jewish. This isn't a case of, "shadowy Jews are doing things maybe.." Israeli government statements on this issue are clear. They trapped them, blockaded necessary supplies completely disconnected from security concerns, and leaned on neighbors to let them. They did this because they got big mad the last time they tried to seize Gaza, and their military couldn't do it.

When Palestinians tried to get access to the international criminal court to allege war crimes in a diplomatic fashion, it was called legal terrorism. Whenever anyone tries to violate the blockade of essential supplies, they're called terrorists. Israel made drat sure to consider everyone in Gaza a terrorist for one reason or another.. the result is terrorism. It creates a framework where if you're accused of terrorism for smuggling food or medicine in through tunnels, you might reasonably decide that, the punishment being the same, you'd rather smuggle weapons instead to have some hope of ending the occupation.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 12, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Listerine posted:

That's exactly what they're saying, it's pretty coordinated. Rick Scott has been tweeting that every day. It's patently false but it plays with the base.

He's just mad he couldn't steal it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

, Jesse Ventura,

Jesse Ventura wasn't a republican

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ummel posted:

She's been employed by alt right stuff like Project Veritas, and she used to have monetized content on social media. Probably does on Twitter now, being a loud mouth reactionary gets you paid there.

isnt Project Veritas being nuked into the ground and its creator James "failed theater kid" Okeef getting sued for using most of its money to try to be a failed wannabe theater actor?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PhazonLink posted:

isnt Project Veritas being nuked into the ground and its creator James "failed theater kid" Okeef getting sued for using most of its money to try to be a failed wannabe theater actor?
Yes I believe they are shutting down

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I believe they are shutting down

Really disturbing amount of implicating Iran in the Hamas attack without any supporting evidence. Which I guess (?) one has to do in order to blame this entire shitshow on Biden. Hannity (who I can barely stomach for 20 seconds anymore) was also openly predicting that there will be a terrorist attack on the US tomorrow based on apparent calls for a "Global Jihad"by Hamas and their supporters combined with what he is sure are thousands of Islamic terrorists that have crossed the Mexican border into the US.

He said he told everyone on his staff who weren't "essential to just getting him on the air" to stay home tomorrow because he takes the threat so seriously. On part because he lives in NYC. He also predicted that within 10 years, all these illegal immigrants will strike the US from within and that, while he'd "be glad to be proven wrong", he won't be. Said that 10 years from now, he'd gladly admit on air if he was and all I could think of was that I'm still waiting for him to be waterboarded.

The RWM noise about Iran being behind this worries me for several reasons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The right wing looking to implicate Iran isn't surprising; however it is also true that Iran is a major backer of Hamas and were at a minimum aware that the attack was being planned. The open question is the degree of control or approval that Iran had over the attack.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Jesse Ventura wasn't a republican
Yeah, BiggerBoat's list also erroneously labels Sonny Bono as having been a Democrat.

Jerry Springer was a unique case since his political career preceded his entertainment career and the latter totally overshadowed the former. I do think it's interesting though how I can't imagine him (or any other Democratic celebrity) ever developing a personality cult within the party propelling him to the Presidency the way Trump gained dominance over so much of the GOP electorate. Republicans definitely seem to be drawn to celebrities in politics more than their Democratic counterparts.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

The reason for it is the same reason China is demonized as a military power. US military funding complex doesn't want to fight these cheap guerilla wars the US is destined to lose due to the cost asymmetry.

They want wars with Iran and China on the public's horizon to justify the continued insane military spending.

There's no appetite for Iraq 3 or Afghanistan 2. The US got constantly wrecked by IEDs during the war on terror, and now the insurgency can strap that poo poo to drones.

It takes in the range of $1000 to wreck millions in US military hardware.

It doesn't matter how little sense any of it makes, they want to pick their opponents. They want those opponents to at least have an air force.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ErIog posted:

The reason for it is the same reason China is demonized as a military power. US military funding complex doesn't want to fight these cheap guerilla wars the US is destined to lose due to the cost asymmetry.

They want wars with Iran and China on the public's horizon to justify the continued insane military spending.

There's no appetite for Iraq 3 or Afghanistan 2. The US got constantly wrecked by IEDs during the war on terror, and now the insurgency can strap that poo poo to drones.

It takes in the range of $1000 to wreck millions in US military hardware.

It doesn't matter how little sense any of it makes, they want to pick their opponents. They want those opponents to at least have an air force.

The problem is that Iran, even once the conventional war is over, immediately turns into Iraq 3 or Afghanistan 2, except on hard mode. You've got a largely unified population (and you have to think the divisions that are there won't survive foreign invasion) with a much larger military that's had 50 years to prepare and terrain that's overwhelmingly favourable to a guerilla force.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

The problem is that Iran, even once the conventional war is over, immediately turns into Iraq 3 or Afghanistan 2, except on hard mode. You've got a largely unified population (and you have to think the divisions that are there won't survive foreign invasion) with a much larger military that's had 50 years to prepare and terrain that's overwhelmingly favourable to a guerilla force.

This is why they want it. There's no way to do an invasion and Iran is unlikely to ever attack the US in a direct way. Same goes for China.

They don't want the actual war. They want the cold wars. It's perfect. You sell a bunch of poo poo, none of it ever has to work, and the budget just keeps going.

The problem is that it's vulnerable to some loving psycho like GWB getting in there, and making them hot wars. However, Trump is not likely to be that psycho. GWB, absent Cheney, might not have even been that psycho.

So they increase the temperature on the rhetoric for very specific enemies in order to keep poo poo going. It will eventually bite us, but they always think they're too smart to let things bite us.

Israel thought the same thing, patted themselves on the back for picking Hamas and controlling their resistance. They got bit, but that's what they wanted anyway.

Israel's response is gonna be complete annexation of the rest of the West Bank. They'll transfer and pack more people into Gaza. Israel will somehow, magically, grow larger in what are supposedly defensive wars.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 13, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm trying to think at what level of Israeli atrocity will the West as a whole break with Israel, and then I remember a similar thing I used to ask myself before Sandy Hook.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What does Israel do that America hasn’t? There’s a reason the US is so tight with them, and it’s not that evangelicals think they can bring jesus back.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

GD_American posted:

I'm trying to think at what level of Israeli atrocity will the West as a whole break with Israel, and then I remember a similar thing I used to ask myself before Sandy Hook.

I feel like the real problem is finding a viable replacement for Israel's strategic place in global politics. Stable government+ West facing+ kickass military means they're always going to have a seat at the table

This of course, assumes the whole country isn't going to eat its own tail when it starts going full authoritarian, as it has been trending towards

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

What does Israel do that America hasn’t? There’s a reason the US is so tight with them, and it’s not that evangelicals think they can bring jesus back.

Ding ding ding! Israel is specifically modeled on the same Manifest Destiny that inspired the US to genocide native populations.

They weren't shy about it in the creation of Israel. They weren't shy about being a colonial power. That's how they garnered initial support. They weren't shy about supporting apartheid in South Africa.

This is why the right wing US can't let Israel go, whether they like Jews or not. It's inextricably linked to the US culture war for them.

Admitting Israel is doing a bad thing means they also must reckon with the US having done bad things. Much simpler for them to call for genocide. Sweep it under the rug.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DarklyDreaming posted:

I feel like the real problem is finding a viable replacement for Israel's strategic place in global politics. Stable government+ West facing+ kickass military means they're always going to have a seat at the table

This of course, assumes the whole country isn't going to eat its own tail when it starts going full authoritarian, as it has been trending towards

"Stable government" isn't nearly as assured as it once was, as you allude to in your closing. Netanyahu is apparently pretty good at personally keeping his head just above water, but is increasingly total poo poo when it comes to actually governing which is why his coalitions keep getting shakier and crazier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I thought leftists were supposed to be the crybaby doomers and conservatives the erudite calmhitler types?
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1712571753740796057?t=vaVzBA60I_PUUJrhaS2RKw&s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What a snowflake

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
"They keep threatening a food/water crisis to change the weather"

I take it this if from the, "No one could shoot up a school so therefore anyone saying that someone did shoot up a school is a crisis actor intent on political manipulation" Alex Jones school?

"There is no climate issue so therefore when a food and water crises does emerge it must be the result of bad actors sabotaging the food and water supplies" is certainly something.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yeah, for every prominent Republican gritting their teeth and admitting that okay, maybe climate change is a thing, there are two doubling down on it all just being fake news and the excuse Claus Schwab will use to personally take your car away and force you to eat bugs for his own sick pleasure.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, for every prominent Republican gritting their teeth and admitting that okay, maybe climate change is a thing, there are two doubling down on it all just being fake news and the excuse Claus Schwab will use to personally take your car away and force you to eat bugs for his own sick pleasure.

The "you vill eet ze bugz" types are the ones that get me the most, cus it's such a stupid point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Alex Jones has been going apeshit with the "THEY WANT TO MAKE YOU EAT BUGS, FRICKIN' BUGS, EATING THEM" takes. I've heard it multiple times on Knowledge Fight.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
So who was it that came up with the Military Aged Men™ talking point? Been hearing that one a lot lately.

That probably describes MOST migrants since forever, but why let facts get in the way of a good demonization.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BattleHork posted:

That probably describes MOST migrants since forever, but why let facts get in the way of a good demonization.

It does. Nearly all of recorded history tells us that emigration tends to begin with sending able-bodied men first to then later bring the rest of their family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BattleHork posted:

So who was it that came up with the Military Aged Men™ talking point? Been hearing that one a lot lately.

IIRC that's been a thing since at least the second Bush administration.