Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

insane anime posted:

me to homeschooled guy: Hottest girl in the twilight zone that isnt suzy parker or pam austin 3. .. 2 ... 1..

in unison: sherry jackson!

me:

him: what is that gif from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

insane anime posted:

insanely homeschooled guy: Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren, and Gracey Kelly - F. M. K.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

insane anime posted:

me to homeschooled guy: Hottest girl in the twilight zone that isnt suzy parker or pam austin 3. .. 2 ... 1..

me:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

insane anime posted:

me:

lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

insane anime posted:

insanely homeschooled guy: Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren, and Gracey Kelly - F. M. K.

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

insane anime posted:

me:

lmao

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Wormskull posted:

hosed up Blazing Saddles Madeline Kahn + Little Shop of ahorros Ellen Green teenage sexual awakening crew sends their regards.

insane anime posted:

me:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

insane anime posted:

me:

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

insane anime posted:

me:

Lmao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

insane anime posted:

me:

lmao

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

insane anime posted:

me:

Lmf

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

insane anime posted:

me:

lmfao

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
watched wolf of wall street tonight. it was pretty good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
saw a truman show gif in another thread just now and remembered i watned to watch that again soon so im downloading it now before i go to bed

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

watched hell raiser. pretty weird. butterball ftw

also watched Us. it was fine lol the "twist" at the end just felt silly.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

watched blair witch project. a bunch of creepy poo poo happens, everyone dies, nothing is explained. very cool that this was done with 3 people, 2 cameras and an abandoned house.

it saved the very spooky supernatural stuff for after the characters were already losing their minds, so its all a pretty believable performance. meanwhile in paranormal activity the dude will be like "BABE I HAVE ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF OUR FURNITURE BEING THROWN AROUND BY GHOSTS" and Completely Unreasonable Wife responds with "YOURE PLAYING TOO MANY VIDEOGAMES!!" before they all get pancaked and its so lazy and frustrating lol

----------------

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Blair Witch Project holds up so well. The little snippets of the would-be documentary are great because you get just enough exposition to keep it mysterious, and it's believably pretentious for a film school assignment.

I'm about to start my annual rewatch of Jacob's Ladder. Tim Robbins ftw

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Reading Billy Bat and Lee Harvey Oswald is about to engage.

----------------

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Reading Billy Bat and Lee Harvey Oswald is about to engage.

well i'm going to read billy bat then

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

well i'm going to read billy bat then

Hooting and hollering like a marvel fan when the post credits scene shows a guy called The Silver Tortoise

----------------

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

How the gently caress are there two different dubs for Vinland Saga

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Watching the Keanu Reeves Dracula for the first time and it loving rules. I was wondering why Renfield is completely unable to enunciate until I realised it was Tom Waits

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

in the mood to watch some new anime...latest thing I ever saw was keep your hands off eizouken. What's been the good poo poo in the last few years.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

In Training posted:

in the mood to watch some new anime...latest thing I ever saw was keep your hands off eizouken. What's been the good poo poo in the last few years.

I very strongly recommend you watch Hunter X Hunter

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

cyberpunk edgerunners fuckin whips, also sonny boy ify ou wanna go into an existential coma and oddtaxi

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah.

and chainsaw man.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm about to start my annual rewatch of Jacob's Ladder. Tim Robbins ftw

I really wanted to like Jacob's Ladder when I saw it recently and loved maybe the first 2/3 of the movie but I felt like the end tried too hard to wrap things up neatly and the ending invalidated a lot of the actual plot. I find "but it was all a dream" stuff really frustrating. Like, why is the chemical weapons guy there doing exposition if it's all in his dying mind? But I know a lot of people love it. What am I missing here?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In Training posted:

Fungah! posted:

cyberpunk edgerunners fuckin whips, also sonny boy ify ou wanna go into an existential coma and oddtaxi

these+Bocchi the Rock, also Frieren which is currently airing

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

akiba maid wars, also. I think Sonny Boy would be my favorite of the list so far though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Watching the Keanu Reeves Dracula for the first time and it loving rules. I was wondering why Renfield is completely unable to enunciate until I realised it was Tom Waits

Bit confused as to why Keanu is escaping from the unimaginable hell of Monica Bellucci sucking him dry on a daily basis

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sleng Teng posted:

akiba maid wars, also. I think Sonny Boy would be my favorite of the list so far though.

oh yeah Akiba was real good, man fall season last year was just popping off

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sonny boy made me question reality but i still dont think it was quite as good as eziouken ——- however, i think its the closest to that high bar since then. but the best-animated anime ive seen this year is, weirdly enough, the last dozen or so episodes of one piece (lingering filler sequences notwithstanding)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arch Nemesis posted:

I really wanted to like Jacob's Ladder when I saw it recently and loved maybe the first 2/3 of the movie but I felt like the end tried too hard to wrap things up neatly and the ending invalidated a lot of the actual plot. I find "but it was all a dream" stuff really frustrating. Like, why is the chemical weapons guy there doing exposition if it's all in his dying mind? But I know a lot of people love it. What am I missing here?
you might like it better on a rewatch and knowing how it ends
I think it works better if you watch it with the mindset that it's specifically about watching him as he struggles to let go of his life rather than that being a twist. you can kind of drink in everything that it's doing towards that end, that otherwise seem more just kinda mysterious and vaguely creepy

I'm not even sure if you're supposed to not know that he's been dead the whole movie tbh. the movie's so littered with hints about what it's about- the hellish imagery, the palm reading, the thing his chiropractor friend says about the things that burn from us when we die, that horrible moment when the disembodied voice says "dream on" right when he's holding on to the thinnest strand of attachment and hope and stability- even the title of the movie is pretty much "jacob's path to the afterlife." to me that's one of its strengths- it's like looming over the movie, to the point that you can almost kind of feel yourself pushing back against it, which is exactly what jacob's doing. and the elaborate, contradictory narratives of his life feel more like that's probably just him in denial, latching on to whatever he can to make it not true.
it's like a horror of inevitability. or not even inevitability, the horror of something terrible being just already true. (which is probably one of the ways it influenced the Silent Hill games)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jacobs Ladder ftw. Well said. “Give me those blue eyes before you go.” is one of my fav horror movie lines ever.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adrián Lyne is weird but cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

sonny boy made me question reality but i still dont think it was quite as good as eziouken ——- however, i think its the closest to that high bar since then. but the best-animated anime ive seen this year is, weirdly enough, the last dozen or so episodes of one piece (lingering filler sequences notwithstanding)

reading the summary on Sonny boy looks like another show in a endless litany of anime shows about teenagers with anxiety. Still worth though..?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Adrián Lyne is weird but cool.

Michelangelo is a party dude.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Arch Nemesis posted:

Like Cubone said you might like it more on a rewatch. I came to the movie backwards because I only found out about it after playing Silent Hill 3 so I mostly love it for being such a big inspiration for the series. It's also got my favorite Danny Aiello performance. And you should look up the deleted scenes on YouTube because they're really loving scary. There's one in particular I wish they'd kept in the theatrical cut.

As for the exposition you could read it as Jacob feeling like he and his friends had their lives thrown away - which ofc they did - and all the stuff about their being guinea pigs as part of that sense of anger at having been deprived of the rest of his life/attachments. Just the general Vietnam War sentiment of "what the gently caress are we even doing here" combined with the impotent rage of dying young and wanting an explanation for it. Idk if that helps but yeah Cubone nailed why it works so well imo.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 14, 2023

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

They heard it inspired silent hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

In Training posted:

reading the summary on Sonny boy looks like another show in a endless litany of anime shows about teenagers with anxiety. Still worth though..?

its closer to something like tatami galaxy