Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
It's One Piece, Vol 1. Time to find the other 120 or so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Could it be possible that(latest scan spoiler) Kuma found out that the Nika Nika fruit was Luffy's actual fruit after he took all of Luffy's pain at Thriller Barque and that is why he saved the crew and protected the ship back at Sabaody instead of it just being because he was pals with Luffy's dad? Was he okay with his mind being erased by the WG because he met Luffy face to face and realized he is the one who will bring about the freedom for the slaves like his father hoped for?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it would be kinda boring if the big reason Kuma saved the gang is because he knows Luffy ate the god fruit

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
forget all the stupid caterina devon theories, people need to be asking 'where is caribou, the most important character in this arc?'

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I hate cubari a whole lot as well but it’s a lot better than the actual scanlators site due to ads and sometimes the page doesn’t load at all on release day. Also I just learned cubari is just a viewer for the images on the opscans website.

Anyway it’s what was linked in the Reddit discord since the opscans page wasn’t loading.

Oh, okay. That explains why the pages were incredibly blurry at random. Now that I know this I shall just wait for the TCB scans next time.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

lih posted:

forget all the stupid caterina devon theories, people need to be asking 'where is caribou, the most important character in this arc?'

Sitting on the SH ship as a plot device to advise either Blackbeard or the World Government about the location of Poseidon and Pluton when he’s captured.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

People are literally going "Jinny is Luffy's mom" just because she is shown happy and eating meat. When Bonney is also an avid eater. She's Bonney's mom, not Luffy's.

Funny to think Kuma might be a founding Revolutionary member all along, unless Ivankov and Dragon aproached him later.

Also I really like the theory of "Crocodile is a former WG slave", it fits his wishes for control, his tendency to lose will against stronger opponents and is a less problematic secret Ivankov can hold over him than "You're trans.". And it would make it funnier that over half the Warlords had a personal vendetta/wish to betray the WG.

Crocodile's still Luffy's mom though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I didn't realize this wasn't the TCB scans, they seemed mostly okay though and the chapter was, much like One Piece is, good!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also I really like the theory of "Crocodile is a former WG slave"

:agreed:

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Crocodile's still Luffy's mom though.

:agreed::hf::hai:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

If Croc is a former slave from this cohort (he was 8 years old during this flashback) it totally makes sense that he would see Kuma rise to power as a (purportedly) corrupt ruler of the Sorbet Kingdom and think "yeah I could totally do that too" with Alabasta

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Good old opscans chapter 1995.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think it would be kinda boring if the big reason Kuma saved the gang is because he knows Luffy ate the god fruit

idk, with the additional context that Kuma’s seen some of the most horrific poo poo Celestial Dragons are capable of, which includes his dad being murdered for the crime of “being too loud while doing the Joyboy drumbeat” it kinda adds a lot more to the story than the working assumption that it was because it was his boss’ kid.

Also gently caress, knowing Kuma and Ivankov go back like 30+ years really makes their reunion at Marineford hit different…

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wonder if Ivankov's chin dagger/big head is from the Celestial Dragon's tying their chin with a rope and holding them upside down by it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Wonder if Ivankov's chin dagger/big head is from the Celestial Dragon's tying their chin with a rope and holding them upside down by it.

I think he just has a big head

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Oh, okay. That explains why the pages were incredibly blurry at random. Now that I know this I shall just wait for the TCB scans next time.

I get why folks would want to wait for TCB (though lately they aren’t much better than the early translation imo) but none of the pages were blurry for me and I reread the chapter on multiple devices/platforms using the cubari link as well as the original on opscans. Cubari’s UI is annoying but it shouldn’t be making the images blurry. But you do you. :)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I get why folks would want to wait for TCB (though lately they aren’t much better than the early translation imo) but none of the pages were blurry for me and I reread the chapter on multiple devices/platforms using the cubari link as well as the original on opscans. Cubari’s UI is annoying but it shouldn’t be making the images blurry. But you do you. :)

TCB's translations are often better than the official translation, you crazy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not blurry, but there were some parts where I could tell that the scans had been AI upscaled.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah I usually wait for TCB nowadays but I didn’t this time and uh the quality of localization at least is very obviously dogshit in these scans to the point of being difficult to parse. I mean I’ve read far worse but TCB and Official are both super easy to read.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The one piece has to be something that makes you laugh, hence it only makes sense that OP is a story about people stuck in a simulated universe turning solely for the purpose of creating bitcoin

also someone explain to me why Saturn can heal himself, that couple with the mind attack are really incongruous. I guess the mind attack could be a concentrated conquerors blast, but why didn’t Sanji see it coming?

I hope this doesn’t turn into a FMA thing where the void century happened because they performed a ritual to turn themselves into soul stones or something - although I’m having a hard time imagining what else the voice of all things could be other than a soul.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ubiquitus posted:

The one piece has to be something that makes you laugh, hence it only makes sense that OP is a story about people stuck in a simulated universe turning solely for the purpose of creating bitcoin

also someone explain to me why Saturn can heal himself, that couple with the mind attack are really incongruous. I guess the mind attack could be a concentrated conquerors blast, but why didn’t Sanji see it coming?

I hope this doesn’t turn into a FMA thing where the void century happened because they performed a ritual to turn themselves into soul stones or something - although I’m having a hard time imagining what else the voice of all things could be other than a soul.

Saturn’s an awakened Zoan, makes sense he has cracked healing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ubiquitus posted:

I wouldn’t worry about it too much for now, I think Oda is going to drop an update balance patch for the Haki system pretty soon

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I guess I just don’t like localization in general and prefer the weird sounding but more direct and literal translations. But really, I like reading multiple translations since by nature they’re all somewhat subjective. Being crazy has nothing to do with it.

Like one example is how from the last chapter the fan translation had Sanji talking about his “restless heart” in both opscans and TCB, but the official went with something much less evocative about the tank not being fast enough. I thought the fan translation was better for that, but it’s not a normal phrase English speakers use, so I get why people prefer the official.

Re: the quality of the cleaning, the official is always the best so I don’t even clock it on the fanscans. After seeing what raws look like I’m amazed they look even this good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

If Croc is a former slave from this cohort (he was 8 years old during this flashback) it totally makes sense that he would see Kuma rise to power as a (purportedly) corrupt ruler of the Sorbet Kingdom and think "yeah I could totally do that too" with Alabasta

The only problem with this idea is the very strong parallels drawn between Crocodile’s plans for Arabasta and Doflamingo’s takeover of Dressrosa (to the point of having subordinates with similar powers), and the odd interactions between them at Marineford. I think Crocodile got his ideas from Doflamingo, not Kuma.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

The only problem with this idea is the very strong parallels drawn between Crocodile’s plans for Arabasta and Doflamingo’s takeover of Dressrosa (to the point of having subordinates with similar powers), and the odd interactions between them at Marineford. I think Crocodile got his ideas from Doflamingo, not Kuma.

New theory, Croc is Doffy’s ex and got dumped and that’s his secret (getting dumped) (Croc told everyone HE dumped Doffy)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This chapter was so sick. My guess is that there'll be another God Valley flashback at some point which goes into more detail about Rocks and the actual fight that happened between him, Garp and Roger, but this one will cover the formation of the Revolutionary Army. It could include Dragon turning against the Marines and saving Kuma and Ivankov (and maybe Crocodile?).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this flashback has insane potential of plot thread consolidation. With what we know about God Valley, it ties in a lot of the mysteries of the CDs, Gorosei, Shanks, Rocks (and by extension Blackbeard), Roger, the Revolutionaries, Garp and the marines. Almost every major player/faction that is left in the story can get big revelations here. I really hope we are in this flashback for the rest of the year.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I don’t think we’ll get multiple GV flashbacks. We’re in the endgame for real, it’s time to we get stuff like this, and GV is very important to the motivations of a lot of characters and backgrounds, but it’s not really the main reveal of the overall story. Doing it all now is setting the stage for the final conflict, doubtful we’ll return later.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Incredible chapter.

This is definitely having the same vibe as Sabaody, with an overwhelmingly powerful opponent appearing out of nowhere. I don't think the strawhats are going to lose this time, but they might end up running away like on Whole Cake.

So hyped for this Kuma flashback. It's already so tragic! Another mysterious bloodline... I'm so curious about this "great crime" they supposedly committed, is a connection to Zou and whatever they're punishing themselves for? Was it actually a crime or just something offensive to the world nobles?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

They aren't really blurry, they're smeared. The linework gets very broken and smeared.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah the early sans are literally touched-up versions of photographs of the pages. pretty much every version is vastly better

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One thing that puzzles me: Vegapunk keeps saying that Bonny is a child. Obviously her DF makes her true age hard to determine, but Kuma is 47, and Jinny’s brother Ivankov is 53, so she’s probably not THAT young, right?

Granted, people having their first children in their 30s and even 40s is something that happens, but it feels like an incongruous detail here.

The real issue, though, is that Bonny doesn’t particularly act like a child.

I suppose Vegapunk is old enough that “a child” is a pretty broad category in his mind, though. Possibly she’s a teenager, and thus younger than she looks without being Momonosuke’s age.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7521/one-piece-chapter-1095?date=12-10-2023-16

TCB Time

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Silver2195 posted:

One thing that puzzles me: Vegapunk keeps saying that Bonny is a child. Obviously her DF makes her true age hard to determine, but Kuma is 47, and Jinny’s brother Ivankov is 53, so she’s probably not THAT young, right?

Granted, people having their first children in their 30s and even 40s is something that happens, but it feels like an incongruous detail here.

The real issue, though, is that Bonny doesn’t particularly act like a child.

I suppose Vegapunk is old enough that “a child” is a pretty broad category in his mind, though. Possibly she’s a teenager, and thus younger than she looks without being Momonosuke’s age.

There has been so much bonney boob and rear end at this point that I think making her canon 8 years old would be a fail.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

There has been so much bonney boob and rear end at this point that I think making her canon 8 years old would be a fail.

That too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy poo poo yeah the Gorosei are each Yonkou Level if not stronger, goddamn

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Broke: Crocodile is Luffy's Genderswapped Mom

Woke: Ivankov's friend this chapter is Dragon

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

All the devil imagery makes me wonder if Gorosei eat celestial dragon lifespans the way big mom eats her peoples' lifespans. It would explain CD protected status and the reason they're encouraged to immiserate the world (so their lot looks good by comparison). Ofc it would have to be a different mechanism.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Young Garling really does just have Shanks face, wow.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Forgot about it with everything going on this chapter, but A World Where You're Better-Off Dead is a sick title for a chapter. That and Saturn's line about if he didn't want to be stabbed he would've dodged.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What Saturn is doing here where he's holding up bonney's head so the entire assembly of marines can shoot it is a crazy brutal image. Says something about how fast we're moving that it gets such a tiny panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I suppose that answers the question of whether the general public knows about the Elder Stars.