Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That is very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Real hurthling! posted:

Got some ornamental cabbages for the roof garden this fall now that the sun doesnt make it passed the buildings anymore til spring.

Osaka white and osaka red.

I love your planters, too!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks! they are the top result cheap pine ones from amazon but i heavily reinforced them with brackets and triple coated them with tung oil to make them last.
Im still working out my rotation for the year cause direct light is scarce and seasonal at the bottom of a 14 story airshaft.
Hopefully the cabbages do well in their dank new home.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
If anyone knows about tree stuff I'd appreciate some advice. We've got a Chinese Pistache that seems like it's doing well right now, but I noticed some suspicious/worrying damage on the trunk that might be bug infestation related.

close-up

wider shot for context

Should I be worried? Do I need to treat it with something? Our oak died of shelf fungus after storm damage, so I may be paranoid about the survival of my remaining trees.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Not an expert but that looks like mechanical damage, any chance a mower or something hit it?

Either way, not much you can do if it is a fungus and I think most insect related stuff is focused on prevention of infestation, not removing it.

I'd just provide the tree with what it needs to be healthy generally, enough water and a balanced fertilizer.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I can't answer the question, but relatedly, my neighbor called the tree cops and they're making me cut down this oak -- the third one in less than three years we've lived here. This time it's ambrosia beetle killing it off, which tree-guy could tell from the sawdust.

The oaks are dying, Cloud.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh geez, sorry to see it go but that’s a hella gorgeous log right there. Know anybody with a sawmill?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DaChurl posted:

If anyone knows about tree stuff I'd appreciate some advice. We've got a Chinese Pistache that seems like it's doing well right now, but I noticed some suspicious/worrying damage on the trunk that might be bug infestation related.

close-up

wider shot for context

Should I be worried? Do I need to treat it with something? Our oak died of shelf fungus after storm damage, so I may be paranoid about the survival of my remaining trees.

This looks like old weedeater damage to me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There are tree cops?

I got a letter from the lawn cops recently since I didn’t mow my lawn for a month after my ankle got sprained. It was probably one of the rich dipshits that live next door but I’ll never know.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
It is such a travesty when a big 'ol tree dies/has to be cut down.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eeyo posted:

There are tree cops?

I got a letter from the lawn cops recently since I didn’t mow my lawn for a month after my ankle got sprained. It was probably one of the rich dipshits that live next door but I’ll never know.

Housing code inspector. "Trees, vines, hedges, and other vegetation, including dead trees and branches, must be maintained so they do not pose a danger to health or safety."

The mother of the guy whose backyard adjoins mine doesn't like that we let our side go wild, so I assume they reported it. Obviously in TYOOL 2023 people don't actually speak with one another about such things.

It's a big boy though and could theoretically fall on his house, so it's not totally unreasonable. We don't have an HOA here so no lawn cops, thank goodness.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would consult with an actual arborist before removing a mature oak like that.

E: nvm. Just saw the tree in question

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Not an expert but that looks like mechanical damage, any chance a mower or something hit it?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This looks like old weedeater damage to me.

:doh:

Of course, that makes perfect sense. We got a new weedeater a few months ago and I think it's more powerful than the old one so we had a few accidents while getting used to the change.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I blasted like half the bark in a ring off a young loquat with my weed whacker and it just kept trucking on. At least your tree will most likely be fine!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well right out of absolutely nowhere, the water hyacinth is flowering. So cool, and a total surprise!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i have become pawpaw pilled. annona-cepted. I'm a fiend for the stuff. Have some seeds I'll try to plant next year.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Petey posted:

i have become pawpaw pilled. annona-cepted. I'm a fiend for the stuff. Have some seeds I'll try to plant next year.

:same: and good luck! Be sure to keep the seeds moist, I had pretty crap germination rates last year because the seeds dried out too much.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I tried growing bare root pawpaws but they didn't take. Might try again.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I have a lovely little cat that destroys every plant I bring in the house. Does anyone have a rec for good-looking and relatively cat proof plant holders?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

HolHorsejob posted:

I have a lovely little cat that destroys every plant I bring in the house. Does anyone have a rec for good-looking and relatively cat proof plant holders?

Bottom-heavy and wide pots are going to be your friends. Think about how cats interact with most objects: rubbing up against them. If you can easily tip it over with one arm, a cat can do so with its body.

Also if you grow some oat grass in a container, cats will fukken love it and leave other plants alone.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
In what way does your kitty destroy them? Attacking the actual plant? Or knocking them over?

Or burying treats in them like my little Lucy does?

edit to add: Sometimes it's cough lollies.

huh fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 12, 2023

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HolHorsejob posted:

Plants that don't look exactly like plants is my suggestion. African milk tree / euphorbia trigona is one that our leaf-eater cat doesn't bother, snake plants work good too. I wish I had more suggestions, but if it doesn't have moving leaves, most cats seem to not realize they are plants

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bagmonkey posted:

Plants that don't look exactly like plants is my suggestion. African milk tree / euphorbia trigona is one that our leaf-eater cat doesn't bother, snake plants work good too. I wish I had more suggestions, but if it doesn't have moving leaves, most cats seem to not realize they are plants

most animals are pretty good about leaving euphorbias alone

Idk if it’s the spines, or if they can smell whatever compounds are in the sap

I still probably wouldn’t keep a euphorb around unprotected if I had an animal with a history of eating/messing plants up. Seems like an emergency vet visit waiting to manifest

That sap is no joke and if your furry friend were to get it in their mouth/in their eyes/on their face/on their fur (and subsequently in their mouth, etc) they’re in for a world of hurt and possible anaphylaxis

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Before you buy any houseplant, google "pothos [or whatever it is] toxic cats". You'll be shocked how many common houseplants aren't safe if your cat is a chomper. Pothos, for instance.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

huh posted:

In what way does your kitty destroy them? Attacking the actual plant? Or knocking them over?

Or burying treats in them like my little Lucy does?

edit to add: Sometimes it's cough lollies.

She's a leaf chomper. Every plant is catnip to this cat. Ferns, spider plant, coffee bush, anything. She perks up immediately upon seeing plant and will stop at nothing until the plant is out of the house or chomped out of existence. She stops short of jumping into hanging pots but

I'd like to hang small plants in front of windows but I can't drill into the ceiling. Are there like, small/light plant hangers that hang easily from curtain rods?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My little carnivore is doing so great. It’s easily doubled in size, is covered in goo drops, vibrant colors, and now it’s flowering, too.

Which I think is interesting in its own right: they eat the flies to live, but they need some of them to escape to reproduce, so they have to grow these loooooong dainty stalks to get the flowers out of the danger zone as best they can. Two directly oppositional needs.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HolHorsejob posted:

She's a leaf chomper. Every plant is catnip to this cat. Ferns, spider plant, coffee bush, anything. She perks up immediately upon seeing plant and will stop at nothing until the plant is out of the house or chomped out of existence. She stops short of jumping into hanging pots but

I'd like to hang small plants in front of windows but I can't drill into the ceiling. Are there like, small/light plant hangers that hang easily from curtain rods?

That is a very funny habit she has. There are small plastic hanging pots available but the bulk of the weight will come from the soil and plant. I think the earlier suggestion to have available cat grass is probably worth trying. They go nuts for it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Another good plant that plant chomper cats love are spider plants. I think it's even a mild hallucinogen for them! We actually keep like 3-4 in our "main" plant room so that when the cats do break in, they go straight for the spider plants and give us a chance to yeet em out

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I wish to plant a tree in my yard. How the heck do I figure out my options are that are appropriate for my hardiness zone and soil conditions?

Ideally I’d love some kind of reference that can tell me about hardiness, soil pest and fertilizer needs, and so on at once. Maybe I’m not using the right google magic words but mostly all I get are arborist pages that only talk about oak and maple, or nursery pages that don’t have much of a systematic search.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the yeti posted:

I wish to plant a tree in my yard. How the heck do I figure out my options are that are appropriate for my hardiness zone and soil conditions?

Ideally I’d love some kind of reference that can tell me about hardiness, soil pest and fertilizer needs, and so on at once. Maybe I’m not using the right google magic words but mostly all I get are arborist pages that only talk about oak and maple, or nursery pages that don’t have much of a systematic search.
One of the best ways, especially if you are any good at IDing trees, is to look around your neighborhood and see what grows well. If you're above the Mason-Dixon line and east of the great plains, most hardwoods will do reasonably well most places. Poke around your state's agricultural extension service website or call your local master gardener's program.

This is basically the book you're look for tho:
https://www.amazon.com/Native-Trees...32-63e904010ad0
It's fantastic and beautiful and your local library may well have it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

One of the best ways, especially if you are any good at IDing trees, is to look around your neighborhood and see what grows well.

Most of the neighborhood trees here are oak or maple species, planetree, and the odd smaller ornamentals and conifers, with black walnut, and mulberry in some older neighborhoods. being adjacent to the Appalachians besides those beech, cottonwood, black cherry, tulip poplar, pawpaw, magnolia, and hickory are around.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll definitely see what the ag extension has going on.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 21, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the yeti posted:

Most of the neighborhood trees here are oak or maple species, planetree, and the odd smaller ornamentals and conifers, with black walnut, and mulberry in some older neighborhoods. being adjacent to the Appalachians besides those beech, cottonwood, black cherry, tulip poplar, pawpaw, magnolia, and hickory are around.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll definitely see what the ag extension has going on.

What do you want the tree to accomplish? Like do you need shade and want a fast growing tree? Are you worried about a messy tree that will drop limbs or fruit? Do you want a particularly interesting or beautiful tree? How much space do you have? Do you have a lot of shade or is it sunny? Are there sewer lines near the tree where you need to be careful about species with invasive roots?

If you just want ‘a tree’ then you really can’t go wrong with any of the ones you already mentioned. If you’re Appalachian adjacent you are pretty much in ideal hardwood country. Beech, hickory, and oak are likely gonna be slower growing but fairly shade tolerant, tulip poplar, cherry, walnut, and cottonwood faster growing but are less shade tolerant, maple and sycamore/plane are kind of in the middle. There are some fairly fast growing oaks too, it just depends on variety and conditions. Walnut, mulberry, and cottonwood can all get pretty messy in their own way, and hickories can too but it’ll take 40 years.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You might try looking up the nearest university that has an agricultural extension, see if they've published any info on it.

The Morton Arboretum has searchable info on lots of tree (and shrub/plant) species. They're based in Chicago but grow quite a lot of trees not native to Chicago (they have a large collection of magnolias for example). You can apply filters like tolerances, soil conditions, height, etc.

https://mortonarb.org/plant-and-protect/trees-and-plants/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tulip poplars are glorious trees, but they're very big at maturity, and they grow fast. We're talking (per the USDA) heights of 80-120 feet and a trunk diameter of 2 to 5 feet.

All of Kaiser Schnitzel's questions are great; I would definitely add "height at maturity". The previous owners of my parents' house planted a charming blue spruce in the front yard. By the time my parents bought the house, it was 20 feet tall (at least) and completely shaded the windows of the front bedroom and living room. They wound up limbing it very high in order to get some light.

edit edit: Walnuts have the nasty habit of excreting juglone, which will kill or stunt some plants under it. I wouldn't plant a walnut, butternut, or hickory myself, because their fruits (not the hulls, the fruit around the actual nut) are large and heavy and stain your hands when you sweep them up. If you want to eat them, you have to get the fruit part off; when I was growing up, the standard advice was to put them in a burlap sack and run over them with a car. Glorious trees, but not easy to live with in suburban acreage.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 21, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

the yeti posted:

Well, first look up where you live on the USDA Hardiness map. Once you know the what will survive your local climate, then you have to look at where you're planting it. Don't plant some super tall tree near power lines. The utility companies may just prune your tree into some weird shape that you don't like in 10 years. Another thing to think of is what's buried beneath where you're digging. You may want to think twice about planting a tree on top of your sewer line. When in doubt, call 811 anywhere in the US. They will come out and mark your buried utility lines in the area for free. Utility companies don't like customers chopping through service cables or buried fiber with shovels.

Do you want something really flashy? Flowers? Variegated leaves? These are options. Do you primarily want shade? Are you planting this very far from the nearest hose? In that case, go with a native. They're already adapted to your local rainfall amount.

Honestly, trees are very easy to grow, just as long as you water them when they're young or if there's a drought.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

kid sinister posted:

You may want to think twice about planting a tree on top of your sewer line.

Also, never plant a willow anywhere unless you have a crush on the Roto-Rooter guy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think most areas won't mark sewer lines, at least mine did not for my recent dig request.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What do you want the tree to accomplish?

I go back and forth on this. This part of the yard had a 60-ish year old maple that shaded much of the house from morning sun. That would be nice to have again but that seems like landscaping for the next person to live here, and in the case of the maple it was a multi fold safety hazard once it became clear it was compromised: in this neighborhood a tall tree would do a lot of damage no matter which way it fell.

If I don’t get shade I’d like to have produce. Pawpaw would be really cool but I gather they need canopy shade.

Broadly, conditions are full sun, border of 6a-6b, soil is clay heavy and rocky, unsure of pH.

Eeyo posted:

The Morton Arboretum has searchable info on lots of tree (and shrub/plant) species. They're based in Chicago but grow quite a lot of trees not native to Chicago (they have a large collection of magnolias for example). You can apply filters like tolerances, soil conditions, height, etc.

https://mortonarb.org/plant-and-protect/trees-and-plants/

This is awesome ty

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 22, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Arsenic Lupin posted:

add "height at maturity"

Yeah, I grew up in a yard with a bunch of red oaks pushing a century. In my lifetime 3 fell, 2 of which did varying damage to the house (and one of which flattened my childhood swing set :sigh:)

Houses here are even closer together, the only reason I have any yard for a tree is at some point a house came down and the lot was split between mine and the neighbor’s lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm prejudiced here, but you might consider a dwarf apple. They're beautiful spring, summer, and fall. Even if you don't spray them you get fruit, you just cut around the bad spots. They like cold weather. A dwarf apple maxes out at 8-10 feet, low enough that you can pick with a step ladder. If you'd rather max out at 15 feet, pick semi-dwarf, but it will be a royal pain to prune and harvest.

You can put a lot of effort into an apple, or you can stick it in the ground, protect it from deer and rabbits while it's young, fertilize, and you'll get a crop.

Downside: you'll have to dispose of the windfall apples, and if your city doesn't pick up organic waste that would be a pain.

I love apple trees nearly as much as I love my husband.