Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tracking for my trade in still hasn’t updated from the 26th, but I got an email this morning confirming it’s complete.

I guess it was just a tracking issue but you would think it would at least have a delivered now.

Edit: I also had an early flight this morning I needed to wake up before usual for, so I set a backup alarm on my Echo after reading this stuff. My iPhone did go off though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm also getting the mysterious "phone needed passcode and battery displays a blank window of a few hours overnight" on an iPhone XS, so it's definitely an iOS 17 problem.

Feels like a nostalgia trip of the older days in iOS when alarms were constantly broken.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If your phone turns off it’s not charging which is good for the environment. No other company has the courage to force you to be environmentally friendly.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Boris Galerkin posted:

If your phone turns off it’s not charging which is good for the environment. No other company has the courage to force you to be environmentally friendly.

You joke but there are blue check dweebs on Twitter/X hollering that can we please make this a feature because who needs their phone on when they’re sleeping

I don’t know, anybody that might have loved ones?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes, how many of these people have clean energy charging option enabled… you’ve done it again, Tim Apple!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Soul Glo posted:

You joke but there are blue check dweebs on Twitter/X hollering that can we please make this a feature because who needs their phone on when they’re sleeping

I don’t know, anybody that might have loved ones?

I can totally believe that someone with a blue check on Twitter these days does not have anyone who loves them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I have actually seen this happen right infront of me. I have an alarm set for 11:55AM to remind me of a daily standup meeting I have to join everyday.

Multiple times, I've seen the iphone light up with the alarm on the screen, but no sound or vibration.

This is my first iPhone in 14 years, so I shouldn't have anything "weird" that carried over from years of restores for example.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I have actually seen this happen right infront of me. I have an alarm set for 11:55AM to remind me of a daily standup meeting I have to join everyday.

Multiple times, I've seen the iphone light up with the alarm on the screen, but no sound or vibration.

This is my first iPhone in 14 years, so I shouldn't have anything "weird" that carried over from years of restores for example.

Did you see this in the comments?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255140879

Sounds like it helped at least a few people. Definitely a bug, but if the bugged feature can be disabled for now at least it can be worked around.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Did you see this in the comments?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255140879

Sounds like it helped at least a few people. Definitely a bug, but if the bugged feature can be disabled for now at least it can be worked around.

lol

"if your alarms silence themselves after one ring, just disable ALL of the attention aware features of your phone, problem solved!"

The phone saw an eyeball or the phone was moved, therefore you must be completely awake and coherent, therefore we will silence your alarm.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 12, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the feature is not really working as intended

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc in previous phones the attention tracking would only lower the alarm volume, not mute it. And it wasn’t super sensitive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah that was my experience with it, and I’m not a regular user of it so I haven’t seen what ios17 does

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who in the gently caress has ever been woken up by their alarm clock and thought “oh boy I wish my alarm would just turn itself off easier” instead of “UGH I NEED TO HAVE 23 ALARMS ALL 2 MINUTES APART OTHERWISE I WONT WAKE UP”?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I usually just wake up and get out of bed when my alarm goes off.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

withak posted:

:mods:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

linkedin poster energy

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I usually wake up 5-10 minutes before my alarm even goes off most mornings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who in the gently caress has ever been woken up by their alarm clock and thought “oh boy I wish my alarm would just turn itself off easier” instead of “UGH I NEED TO HAVE 23 ALARMS ALL 2 MINUTES APART OTHERWISE I WONT WAKE UP”?

Me. I hate that the snooze button is always the easy way to turn off my alarm. I just get up and start my day when it goes off, and I want to turn it off as easily as possible.

If I can sleep in later such that I'd want to use the snooze button, I'll just set my alarm later.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Corb3t posted:

This is actually prime posting time.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

My 15 Pro front glass has several deep scratches after 2 weeks, and I have no idea how. Never had anything like this on my 13 Pro.

Could be completely random, but goddamn.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I only use screen protectors now because of how easy these screens seem to scratch

I promise it's not in the pocket full of pocket sand

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

I do put my phone face down on the table most times when I’m out, so maybe I just got unlucky with the table material.

But, because I always put my phone face down I’m able to use the action button to run this shortcut.

If it’s face down (or portrait upside down) it will turn on DND. Otherwise it opens the camera.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/747ca739aacc4a86add59d42800ac14f

My only complaint about this is that the action button doesn’t work as a shutter button in the camera after running the shortcut. Apparently the only way to enable that is to use the predefined camera option in action button settings.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just my 2 cents, but for years I have not used any screen protectors and have only used Spigen cases that have a lip that extends beyond the screen. This protects the phone from most common falls and drops, and if you set the phone face down, the screen itself is not touching the surface. I also never keep my phone in the same pocket as my keys. This method has resulting in me never having received screen scratches.

I also hate screen protectors because there's always some degree of image distortion, or reduced viewing angle, or increased reflectiveness and they mess with the touch sensitivity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like the button assigned to camera if phone is vertical, video if it’s horizontal, flashlight if pointing down, and silent if face down

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've had my phone in a case since the day I got it so just relying on your case is unfortunately not an infallible strategy for everyone.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Corb3t posted:

:getout:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Corb3t posted:

I rarely set an alarm because I wake up before I need to care about anything most days.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Yep same

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Corb3t posted:

My mother did this and apparently it passed down to me because I'm almost always awake 20 minutes before my alarm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to need a super loud alarm across the room but now that I'm an old fart I wake up an hour before the alarm because apparently that's a thing that Just Happens as you age.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I also hate screen protectors because there's always some degree of image distortion, or reduced viewing angle, or increased reflectiveness and they mess with the touch sensitivity.

I’ve blessedly never noticed anything like this. Tempered glass screen protectors are generally great, but I hate them unless I’m using a case because they add a noticeable ledge at the side of the display.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone know if the gamevice flex usb c version works with the 15 series?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
No idea specifically but I did see someone test out USB controllers on the 15 and they worked.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I got a little cheap belkin portable stand in the amazon sale, and the standby mode is kind of cool, and I love the design of all the clock faces and widgets, but it's real stupid that it doesn't always show your phone charge progress. If my phone is docked to a charger that's the main thing I want to know. I have to swivel the phone into regular non-standby in order to see the battery indicator. It's somehow a stupider design decision than the fact that they don't let the screen stay on if it's a non-pro motion display.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
For you case optional folks - screen down, or camera bump down?

I always go camera bump down because it’s stronger material and I prefer no scratches to my screen. I figure if the camera ever did get messed with, it’s more likely AC+ would replace it than a cosmetic scratch to screen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I go screen down. This is my first time using a glass screen protector and today I noticed a hairline scratch across the entire phone, no clue from where.

Might be because protectors are weaker than apple glass but still, glad I started using these.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Queer Grenadier posted:

For you case optional folks - screen down, or camera bump down?

I always go camera bump down because it’s stronger material and I prefer no scratches to my screen. I figure if the camera ever did get messed with, it’s more likely AC+ would replace it than a cosmetic scratch to screen.

Camera down, although I put my phone down on a pad of paper or a stack of post-it notes if available.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, woke up this morning to a black screen and had to hard reset to get it going.

I’m on vacation today and have nothing to do until noon, but still if today had been a work day I would have missed the alarm.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

we got a Gate, boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Screen down if I’m trying to avoid my phone, camera down if I want to see notifications.