Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I need to start packing for my Japan trip tonight zzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

symbolic posted:

a bau bau and guh to you as well

Lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mori ftw.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BAU BAU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'll destroy all vtuber sickos in honourable combat. And that's a promise.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ibblebibble posted:

You better pack a good goddang time

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

You better pack a good goddang time

I will, just sticking to Tokyo but it should be fun.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

Have fun!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

wait a minute

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

I'll destroy all vtuber sickos in honourable combat. And that's a promise.
you couldn't handle me. I watched both the nijisanji lotion sumo AND nijisanji lotion kendo tournaments

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

take me on your japanese trip

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

take me on your japanese trip

Can't I'm already taking my mum

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Say hi to your mum for me

marumaru
May 20, 2013

vtubers continue to be ftl

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

homeless snail posted:

you couldn't handle me. I watched both the nijisanji lotion sumo AND nijisanji lotion kendo tournaments

i dont need to hear about the naked oil wrestling streams you watch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and kendo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How do you score a point when everything is covered in oil?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
naked kendo would be very uncomfortable. first of all that armor is important. but second of all the chafing would be profound

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

when the other guy falls down because the floor is too slippery to stand on and youre hitting him in the head with a stick

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the other day my buddy was explaining to me that if i knock someone down in a match its extremely important that i whack them on the head before checking if theyre ok. kendo rules

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

homeless snail posted:

when the other guy falls down because the floor is too slippery to stand on and youre hitting him in the head with a stick

Jackass-skit-rear end sport

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
in the police tournaments its legal to leg sweep the other guy on hardwood before hitting him in the head. this guy didnt get the point but its a sweet takedown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sBQEMulkAM

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Ohtori Akio posted:

the other day my buddy was explaining to me that if i knock someone down in a match its extremely important that i whack them on the head before checking if theyre ok. kendo rules

zombieland rule #2 was pretty clear always going for the head shot even if it may be a waste. the alternative is worse

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ohtori Akio posted:

my highschool friend would brag about his kendo dojo requiring him to stand barefoot in a cold shed with a concrete floor, to thicken the skin on his feet (as a regular activity). do you know if that's actually something that's done?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Rinkles posted:

my highschool friend would brag about his kendo dojo requiring him to stand barefoot in a cold shed with a concrete floor to thicken the skin on his feet (as a regular activity). do you know if that's actually something that's done?

theres a lot of severely stupid "training" that goes on in kendo, especially in the past. it carries a lot of baggage from its origin in edo dojo culture, the political mess of the restoration where it was formed, and the imperial era where it was co-opted as fascist PE. instructors will tell me about brutal physical abuse done to "toughen them up", far beyond the normal aspect of putting your body through stress beyond what youd face in a match. so yes it's very believable but few american dojo, none that im aware of, would do something like that today.

the bottoms of your feet get calluses by showing up to practice and you get stable non-blistering calluses by doing the movements correctly on the correct surface. so the specific thing he says was most likely a form of hazing. and like any hazing once you do it youre liable to think its cool you got abused like that and perpetuate it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ohtori Akio posted:

naked kendo would be very uncomfortable. first of all that armor is important. but second of all the chafing would be profound

That's what the lotion is for. Probably hard to keep a grip though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ohtori Akio posted:

theres a lot of severely stupid "training" that goes on in kendo, especially in the past. it carries a lot of baggage from its origin in edo dojo culture, the political mess of the restoration where it was formed, and the imperial era where it was co-opted as fascist PE. instructors will tell me about brutal physical abuse done to "toughen them up", far beyond the normal aspect of putting your body through stress beyond what youd face in a match. so yes it's very believable but few american dojo, none that im aware of, would do something like that today.

the bottoms of your feet get calluses by showing up to practice and you get stable non-blistering calluses by doing the movements correctly on the correct surface. so the specific thing he says was most likely a form of hazing. and like any hazing once you do it youre liable to think its cool you got abused like that and perpetuate it.

fwiw, this was the netherlands (...nearly 20 years ago)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Rinkles posted:

fwiw, this was the netherlands (...nearly 20 years ago)

yeah i think some instructor just decided they wanted to "go hard", maybe they were made to do that as a junior. its believable

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Guys Suletta was an Incredible anime protagonist

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
And I'll neva forgetta

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
suletta ftw

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tempted to rewatch the OG Pokemon series because as a kid I only ever watched chunks here and there on pirated VCDs. I think I've seen like, a third of the original series in two big chunks, and a bit of the Johto arc too.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
og pokemons pretty good. worth watching imo.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

starship operators was boring...

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Meowywitch posted:

Guys Suletta was an Incredible anime protagonist

She was cool

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's Friday.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yay!

I get to spend my weekend moving

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibblebibble posted:

Tempted to rewatch the OG Pokemon series because as a kid I only ever watched chunks here and there on pirated VCDs. I think I've seen like, a third of the original series in two big chunks, and a bit of the Johto arc too.

the first season is pretty cool just cause the lead writer they had on for it was a super weird guy so every now and then you'll just get an incredibly bizarre episode premise. the movie's also worth watching for that reason, it really is way weirder than you'd expect The Pokemon Movie to be and while being a pokemon movie limits it a bit it's still respectable how visually and tonally wild it gets and how hard it defined mewtwo as like, an actual character with a personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yay!

I get to spend my weekend moving

hell, same