Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What Tsukihime anime? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's incredible how the only notable things about the tsukihime anime are that sacchan lives in it because she spends literally the entirety of it awkwardly standing around in scenes she's not supposed to be in and none of her parts of the story are even remotely touched upon, and it has an extended scene of arcueid explaining the plot to shiki while the camera focuses on a random table with a carton of purple stuff on it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

think about how many good shows aired between gurren lagann and kill la kill

GL (the bad kind not the righteous and good GL) fans are a special breed of people that just don't watch anything and it's something else.

I had one argue with me last year that it "wasn't derivative like so many modern mecha shows."

Minds worth studying imo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

it's incredible how the only notable things about the tsukihime anime are that sacchan lives in it because she spends literally the entirety of it awkwardly standing around in scenes she's not supposed to be in and none of her parts of the story are even remotely touched upon, and it has an extended scene of arcueid explaining the plot to shiki while the camera focuses on a random table with a carton of purple stuff on it

I would also include the weird-rear end character designs that in no way attempted to replicate what the characters actually looked like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like gurren lagann but the way people talk about it is deranged. 'eva killed mecha and then gurren lagann revived it.' half the brave series happened between eva and gurren lagann. gundam seed happened.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people whove only ever watched gurren lagann when you show them getter robo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

i like gurren lagann but the way people talk about it is deranged. 'eva killed mecha and then gurren lagann revived it.' half the brave series happened between eva and gurren lagann. gundam seed happened.

Unironically it reminds me of Street fighter fans. There's a breed of players that only really care about sf and talk about how besides mk fighting games between 3rd strike and sf4 were dead. Just people that liked 2 things, didn't understand half of what either references and ignored everything else.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

people whove only ever watched gurren lagann when you show them getter robo

I remember showing my friend the g crystal to point out spiral energy is just a huge reference down to the color chosen and was told "Nobody watched that boring old poo poo."

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
your friend's a boring old poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Unironically it reminds me of Street fighter fans. There's a breed of players that only really care about sf and talk about how besides mk fighting games between 3rd strike and sf4 were dead. Just people that liked 2 things, didn't understand half of what either references and ignored everything else.

see the thing is at least the fighting game release pace did slow down between 3rd strike and sf4 in a noticeable way. it wasnt dead or anything but the fighting game genre had a boom period and then contracted around the time 3s came out and then it had a boom again after sf4. 'it was dead forever' is dumb but it isnt entirely incorrect to say there was a decline.

the gap between eva and gurren lagann *is* a mecha boom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd be like saying between sf2 and sf4 no fighting games were made

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the world where code geass does not exist

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

see the thing is at least the fighting game release pace did slow down between 3rd strike and sf4 in a noticeable way. it wasnt dead or anything but the fighting game genre had a boom period and then contracted around the time 3s came out and then it had a boom again after sf4. 'it was dead forever' is dumb but it isnt entirely incorrect to say there was a decline.

the gap between eva and gurren lagann *is* a mecha boom.

See I disagree with that because so many of now classic staple franchises for the fgc started and flourished in that gap. The 'anime' fighter was basically birthed in that gap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

people whove only ever watched gurren lagann when you show them the king of braves gaogaigar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

See I disagree with that because so many of now classic staple franchises for the fgc started and flourished in that gap. The 'anime' fighter was basically birthed in that gap.

oh, yeah, but those games werent as big as the street fighters and mortal kombats of the 90s. and there were a lot of guilty gears and melty bloods and such but you didnt get nearly as many of the d-list forgotten games as you did in the 90s.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the first couple gurren lagann episodes were the first thing i ever watched drunk at a con surrounded by a bunch of other drunk weirdos so i think it's pretty cool

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there were lots of good fgs that came out in that time but, none of them were as big as the big fgs before or after the dead times is what people mean. the poverty years of getting way into whichever weird ps2 fg you happened to have

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bring back Bloody Roar.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bring back Bloody Roar.

Hell yeah

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yo bro you wanna play budokai

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I played a lot of Deadly Alliance

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I played so much Bloody Roar 3 that my thumbs got huge blisters on them when I was a kid lmao.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I played a lot of touhou hisoutensoku. okuu main hell yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only time I ever got a gaming blister was playing the SNES port of Killer Instinct

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

homeless snail posted:

this post inexplicably revived a long suppressed memory of drinking jaeger and playing naruto ultimate ninja matches on ps2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Bloody Roar the one with the boxing kangaroo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
*hides his Battle Arena Toshinden posters covering every room in his house*

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey Billy Bat

whaaaaaaaat?

Yeah, this is Urasawa's run at something like Tezuka's Phoenix series. While it might start out as a contemporary-ish thriller, it's going to be taking all manner of historical detours where, for example, Jesus of Nazareth and Judas Iscariot are conspiring over sand drawings of Billy Bat. That's just going to be a thing that happens.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

*hides his Battle Arena Toshinden posters covering every room in his house*

Calling the Playstation better than the Saturn cause it got Toshinden at launch is one of those opinions that aged faster that spoiled milk left on the counter

marumaru
May 20, 2013

also i thought kill la kill was fun. it was the first anime i watched as it aired. the fan service grossed me the gently caress out but i eventually started ignoring it so i could enjoy the fun parts
it probably aged horribly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

where the gently caress is my Tenkaichi 4 news bamco

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

where the gently caress is my Tenkaichi 4 news bamco

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1710262649060290871

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah I know, but I want more

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have seen at least 5 Makimas at NYCC so far, which makes her probably the most popular cosplay I've seen yet if we count all the possible variants of Luffy as different costumes.

I only bring this up because I feel the need to mention that the second most popular cosplay has been, of all things, Bepo from One Piece. I've seen like three of him already.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

How many of them are properly thicc makima?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

How many of them are properly thicc makima?

huh do I remember makima wrong? they seemed pretty average in build

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

huh do I remember makima wrong? they seemed pretty average in build
a lot of people who havent actually read chainsaw man think otherwise

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When the mainstream audience just wants doujinshi to be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU