Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone have any tips for how to get a really dull metalic sheen?

Like the kind you'd seen on the body of a real world car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you mean an anodized finish like this?

The basic process is the same as a candy-coat until the very last step, when you use a matte or satin topcoat to seal it in and get rid of the hyper-reflective surface. So you would be looking at a process something like this:

Black Primer, as glossy as you can get.
Black gloss coat, as glossy as you can get
Reflective Chrome mirror finish (tons of options for this; SMS, Zurc, Mig AMMO, Alclad, even Mr Colour if you use it right)
Clear colour for the candy finish
Matte/Satin topcoat for the anodized look.

it still takes a lot of work but the good news is that it's easier than a normal reflective candy coat since the final step will get rid of the reflections anyway.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PriorMarcus posted:

Wash your car.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check out this absolute unit of a lad. :eyepop:

Though tbh, I feel the weapons are a little lacking. If you're gonna go Swole Robot like that, I feel you need at least one Big Gun or Big Sword. The weapons aren't bad of course, they're just relatively small enough to feel underwhelming compared to that bulky body for me.

I love this, but I'm seeing a lot of the Barbatos long range booster in this.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eyyy! Such a good kit, isn't it? :allears:

It's glorious. My only wish is movable fingers. Maybe they'll make a PG someday with all the pistons and wrist cannons and whatnot. Anyway I really hope they sold enough of these to design Big Duo and Big Fau kits!

It's also funny that only the eyes light up. Very extra but so appreciated.

Now I just need to fill the seams and prime this bad boy for painting.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
question for the thread
i have some of these type of panel lining markers on the way

would it be better to panel line pieces while they're on the runners, or wait until everything's assembled? ditto for topcoating

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I do it after I've assembled all the main parts, that way I don't risk wiping it all off with my fingers while putting everything together

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do it once they're off the runners and cleaned but before you assemble the kit. That way you won't mess them up while you're getting rid of nubs and marks and you can easily spot if it's pooling anywhere and clean it up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Blaziken386 posted:

question for the thread
i have some of these type of panel lining markers on the way

would it be better to panel line pieces while they're on the runners, or wait until everything's assembled? ditto for topcoating

In some cases the "panel lines" will actually be seams between two different pieces of plastic, so if you panel line the individual parts on the runner you'll have to do a second pass after at least partially building them.

For paint or topcoat, doing it on the runner is a real bad idea -- after you remove it, you'll have holes in your coat of paint wherever the gates / runner connections were.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Puddin posted:

I love this, but I'm seeing a lot of the Barbatos long range booster in this.

That's because it reuses the long range booster. It's part of the whole Build aesthetic after all.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Hell yeah, Chuck Mangione.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why is he punching the trumpet hugger man

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gonna go pick up some Mark Fit at the hobby shop tomorrow to go with my decals that'll be coming in and I might also get a pair of tweezers. Straight or curved?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

down to your personal preference.

Also my entire country has a mr mark setter shortage lmao.

Whats a good alternative?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Gonna go pick up some Mark Fit at the hobby shop tomorrow to go with my decals that'll be coming in and I might also get a pair of tweezers. Straight or curved?

Both are handy for different things. But if you have to pick, I prefer pointed curved tweezers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

It's glorious. My only wish is movable fingers. Maybe they'll make a PG someday with all the pistons and wrist cannons and whatnot. Anyway I really hope they sold enough of these to design Big Duo and Big Fau kits!

It's also funny that only the eyes light up. Very extra but so appreciated.

Now I just need to fill the seams and prime this bad boy for painting.

As someone else who has the kit; Is it just me, or does it feel like it's built in mind for an expansion pack or Version 2 with the missing weapons? (Moby Dick Anchors, the season-2 arm gatlings, Final Stage, etc).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

"i need to stop buying G-Witch gunpla kits" i say, before clicking confirm on my Gundam Pharact order,

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

bowmore posted:

why is he punching the trumpet hugger man

Feels so right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Teaser for the next kit from Seed Eclipse

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

you can't fool me that's just the xi

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Probably another Calamity MSV.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

Now those are some shoulder cannons :magical:.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

mini kshatriya

not as much detail with these little dudes so I used some thick, dark strokes with the line pen to really define the lines and curvature. whether it looks good I suppose is a matter of opinion. the stickers make me all the more appreciative of the superiority of decals - I'm probably at the point where I should be painting instead but I just wanted something breezy after a summer of Psycho Hell

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Why does it look like it's wearing GaoGaiGar's stealth bomber?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

mini kshatriya

not as much detail with these little dudes so I used some thick, dark strokes with the line pen to really define the lines and curvature. whether it looks good I suppose is a matter of opinion. the stickers make me all the more appreciative of the superiority of decals - I'm probably at the point where I should be painting instead but I just wanted something breezy after a summer of Psycho Hell

If you have some cotton buds (Q-tips?) they're very good for gently massaging the stickers to wrap around curves more smoothly. Ideally you want some nice fat ones with a paper shaft.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phy posted:

Why does it look like it's wearing GaoGaiGar's stealth bomber?

Given the Freedom designs, I assume it's gonna do something like the fold-over-the-top MA mode they have, and those shoulders will spread out as wings.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pierson posted:

Do you mean an anodized finish like this?

The basic process is the same as a candy-coat until the very last step, when you use a matte or satin topcoat to seal it in and get rid of the hyper-reflective surface. So you would be looking at a process something like this:

Black Primer, as glossy as you can get.
Black gloss coat, as glossy as you can get
Reflective Chrome mirror finish (tons of options for this; SMS, Zurc, Mig AMMO, Alclad, even Mr Colour if you use it right)
Clear colour for the candy finish
Matte/Satin topcoat for the anodized look.

it still takes a lot of work but the good news is that it's easier than a normal reflective candy coat since the final step will get rid of the reflections anyway.

This is absolutely perfect. Thank you!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Thought was a Grungrust for a second there and got excited. :(

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

If you have some cotton buds (Q-tips?) they're very good for gently massaging the stickers to wrap around curves more smoothly. Ideally you want some nice fat ones with a paper shaft.

that's exactly what I did, in fact. these had a lot of tough curves and also the surface beneath a lot of them was textured in case you wanted to paint instead, so it was tricky. Overall it turned out p decent considering

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deFK2_0tJqA

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What's the difference between all the different lines of SD gundam stuff anyway? How many different kinds are there? I notice that some of them like this barbatos have relatively smaller heads while others are totally different with huge bobblehead proportions

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I checked the gundam site on a whim to see if they have any new stuff coming out, and not only DO they have new stuff coming out, but one of those somethings is:

Black Aerial

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2698166001001

it looks rad as hell and i will be Upset if I cannot get a preorder in. Possibly two, because it's only $15 and i might want to kitbash with it in the future.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

I checked the gundam site on a whim to see if they have any new stuff coming out, and not only DO they have new stuff coming out, but one of those somethings is:

Black Aerial

it looks rad as hell and i will be Upset if I cannot get a preorder in. Possibly two, because it's only $15 and i might want to kitbash with it in the future.

poo poo that's dope

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Welp, I ended up picking up a MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka on my way home (despite having an RG Nu and RG Hi-Nu and not building either yet), what am I in for with this kit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Welp, I ended up picking up a MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka on my way home (despite having an RG Nu and RG Hi-Nu and not building either yet), what am I in for with this kit

It's good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaziken386 posted:

Black Aerial

drat money's real tight but I really like that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MechaX posted:

A lot of finicky waterslides for the fin funnels.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Blaziken386 posted:

Black Aerial

I thought you could order this already through the 'Metaverse Project' they had going, but fair warning that I logged in and it's a bit undercooked at present.

You may also want to know that the 'recirculation color' models are made with recycled plastic, which is cool but can be a little harder to work with. All the parts are the same otherwise, and you'll always have the option of picking up a standard HG and painting, so maybe FOMO doesn't need to be a huge factor.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, $15 for an Aerial justifies a lot of waiting I've done this year.

Also, the Permet 6 HG I just built has a full sheet of detail stickers I need to get to. I'm high on PBandai right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

free Trapt CD posted:

I thought you could order this already through the 'Metaverse Project' they had going, but fair warning that I logged in and it's a bit undercooked at present.

You may also want to know that the 'recirculation color' models are made with recycled plastic, which is cool but can be a little harder to work with. All the parts are the same otherwise, and you'll always have the option of picking up a standard HG and painting, so maybe FOMO doesn't need to be a huge factor.
this post made me hopeful that i could skip the line, but no, it was simply a 20GB download to show off a mostly empty 3D shopping mall, which, upon clicking on aerial, just sent me to the very store page i linked.

:thumbsup: