Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Gojo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

It's kind of funny how many people have a four letter name so close to each other.

Gojo, Jogo, Geto, Toge, Todo.

Hell Satoru and Suguru look pretty similar at a glance.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

If the only things Yuki achieved are in flashbacks why is that acceptable to you? She absolutely got done worse because she isn't even a major character. She's a minor character you want to confuse as being bigger just because of her title. By that logic Dagon is a major character and we both know that's not true.

why is this unacceptable to you? lots of mangas explain some previous generation badass through flashbacks only to flop in the current era. Yuki isn't any better or worse than most characters. like if she wasn't even a major character then she got a lot more screen time than a several other characters and faced off against one of the primary antagonists

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
At the end of the day someone had to eat it to kenjaku and i'm just glad it wasn't choso.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yuki was cool as poo poo, her fight was cool as poo poo, and her dying was always gonna happen since the series has steadily been wiping out all of the reliable mentors from the older generation for a while, forcing the main cast from the new generation to stand on their own, which is also cool as poo poo.

Also anyone who thinks Nobara is dead is an absolute sucker.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Yeah, Jogo is probably the strongest cursed spirit we've seen. He's pure elemental based, which is considered top tier as far as jujutsu techniques go, according to Kusakabe. He's basically a pseudo-human who was capable of feeling emotions apart from only the negative ones, which is nuts. He also had a maxim technique, a domain expansion, and learned and used domain amplification. In one of the extras, Gege also mentions that Geto also wanted to capture Jogo, but would not have been able to do so unscathed. Sukuna praised him as strong for a reason. Anyone who gets one of those death reflection moments from Sukuna is someone he acknowledges as worthy, he's rating his meal post-consumption.

But in the end, Jogo was "merely" a cursed spirit, essentially a hungry ghost on the Buddhism totem pole. The transition from Shibuya to the Culling Games suggested that Cursed Spirits are small fry in the grand scheme of things.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah but what about Pogo

Or Dodo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah but what about Pogo

Or Dodo

Dodo

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

BROZZAAAAAA

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

why is this unacceptable to you? lots of mangas explain some previous generation badass through flashbacks only to flop in the current era. Yuki isn't any better or worse than most characters. like if she wasn't even a major character then she got a lot more screen time than a several other characters and faced off against one of the primary antagonists
Personally it's because it felt like the story was going to do something with her and then just didn't. She was researching cursed energy and trying to create a solution to the current system of sorcerers and cursed spirits. She is partially responsible for Geto's whole breakdown and also running counter to Kenjaku's own research. But in the end the only thing important about her was her ability to fight and not even that ultimately mattered. It's an old point and I don't say this as some sort of hard rule, but when the villain fights someone who is supposed to be a pillar of their era they shouldn't walk away virtually unscathed and Kenny did just that.

I thought it was interesting that Yuki was a former star vessel and we'd get some insight into things but she and Tengen get interrupted before anything can come of that. All that's left of her is her notebook so maybe something can be salvaged of her character by proxy so we'll see since Yuji is back on the field and he was given her notes.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I love how that whole plotline proceeded. Their fight triggered that poignant conversation between Yuji and Nobara that actually showed some thoughtful engagement with the use of violence against intelligent beings. It's that lingering guilt that helps bring Yuji and Choso to reconcile, it was a great thread to follow. It could have been effectively carried through the culling game, but Gege chose that weird focus on "love/loneliness" instead that seems to basically come out of nowhere.
I went back to re-read that, really hits hard right after the whole situation with Junpei and Mahito. But then I kept reading and Nobara meets Yuko and I really started to miss our resident hammer wielding team mate again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Personally it's because it felt like the story was going to do something with her and then just didn't. She was researching cursed energy and trying to create a solution to the current system of sorcerers and cursed spirits. She is partially responsible for Geto's whole breakdown and also running counter to Kenjaku's own research. But in the end the only thing important about her was her ability to fight and not even that ultimately mattered. It's an old point and I don't say this as some sort of hard rule, but when the villain fights someone who is supposed to be a pillar of their era they shouldn't walk away virtually unscathed and Kenny did just that.

I thought it was interesting that Yuki was a former star vessel and we'd get some insight into things but she and Tengen get interrupted before anything can come of that. All that's left of her is her notebook so maybe something can be salvaged of her character by proxy so we'll see since Yuji is back on the field and he was given her notes.

I went back to re-read that, really hits hard right after the whole situation with Junpei and Mahito. But then I kept reading and Nobara meets Yuko and I really started to miss our resident hammer wielding team mate again.

"It's like that" is still one of my favorite exchanges in the series.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

well the notebook is clearly going to be important and works in a passing onto the next generation sort of way

as for Kenjaku no one was going to truly stop them from getting Tengen. he's the crux of the barrier plan. if Kenjaku got damaged it would get fixed in a couple chapters like pretty much all main antagonists get before the real fight. hell I expect him to change forms at some point too

the last bit is a story telling problem that there could have been more world building. tho iirc around the time of the fight everyone wanted the story to move forward already. clearly Gege has taken a hint and started moving through the story beats to get to the good parts

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

"Yuji if you read this then I'm loving dead. Here's how you beat Kenjaku. Here's how you beat Sukuna. Here's how you save Megumi. Here's how you bring Nobara back. Here's how to bring Gojo back. Here's how you bring Geto back not evil. Also here's how you bring me back. Here's how Todo gets his arm back. Why didn't I do any of this if I knew how? Shut up the manga is ending"

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

if the notebook comes back up again i think it will shortly, because it would only make sense as a straight yuji powerup or something about defeating sukuna

the only other option that comes to mind would be something about kenjaku and it seemed like her battle established she didn't really know anything about him

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I liked the Yuki/Kenjaku fight because of that page where they both realized it was gonna be a huge pain the rear end

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gologle posted:

"Yuji if you read this then I'm loving dead. Here's how you beat Kenjaku. Here's how you beat Sukuna. Here's how you save Megumi. Here's how you bring Nobara back. Here's how to bring Gojo back. Here's how you bring Geto back not evil. Also here's how you bring me back. Here's how Todo gets his arm back. Why didn't I do any of this if I knew how? Shut up the manga is ending"

"Only you can do this, Yuji. I am, alas, a woman."

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
There’s only one answer: we go anime original after shibuya babyyyyyyyy, time to hit the big red button

Nobara: alive, but with a dope eye patch
Toji: resurrected. how did they let someone so cool die, its calvinball, bring him back
Todo: back in action
Yuki: in the story
Angel: literally not even a character. A set of plot conveniences to tie the story up more quickly and easily
Yorozu: not in the story

when you look back at what went wrong with JJK, imo, it's hard to escape the reality that Gege basically broke the series for the sake of making Shibuya really loving good. No holds barred, iconic characters dying left and right. That is part of what makes Shibuya one of the most special arcs in manga, and it's genuinely awesome to feel like no one has plot armor and could die a moment later.

The problem is he loving killed all of the best characters and it's so weird that he did that in retrospect. The narrative heart of the series died in Shibuya, and so did the character-based writing. It was like Gege gave up, and was just like "I can't fix this so lets play with cool action figures for 100 chapters while the main character pretty much completely fucks off"

Can anyone think of another piece of popular media that simply kills or incapacitates all of the crowd favorite characters, all at once, effectively removes the main character, and then just kind of... keeps going?

Gege traded his entire story for Propeller Guy and a set of obtuse rules lawyering BS that even he forgets in about 12 seconds. That's why the entire thing needs to be retconned and the best parts used as the inspiration for an entirely new anime-only setup that includes the pivotal main characters remaining alive.

The post-Shibuya whiplash was bad in the manga, but the weekly format makes the weirdest narrative decisions less impactful; people just kind of forget how bad it all was over time as new chapters come out.

But it will be incredibly loving confusing in the anime specifically. It's going to expose all of the lamest decisions of the culling games in the worst way possible.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 15, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The scene in the mind-bar between Yuki and Choso with Kengen as the bartender was really sweet and I love it when Gege does mindscapes like that. No other comment.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Taima posted:

There’s only one answer: we go anime original after shibuya babyyyyyyyy, time to hit the big red button

Toji: resurrected. how did they let someone so cool die, its calvinball, bring him back
Angel: literally not even a character. A set of plot conveniences to tie the story up more quickly and easily

when you look back at what went wrong with JJK, imo, it's hard to escape the reality that Gege basically broke the series for the sake of making Shibuya really loving good. No holds barred, iconic characters dying left and right. That is part of what makes Shibuya one of the most special arcs in manga, and it's genuinely awesome to feel like no one has plot armor and could die a moment later.

The problem is he loving killed all of the best characters and it's so weird that he did that in retrospect. The narrative heart of the series died in Shibuya, and so did the character-based writing. It was like Gege gave up, and was just like "I can't fix this so lets play with cool action figures for 100 chapters while the main character pretty much completely fucks off"

Can anyone think of another piece of popular media that simply kills or incapacitates all of the crowd favorite characters, all at once, effectively removes the main character, and then just kind of... keeps going?

Gege traded his entire story for Propeller Guy and a set of obtuse rules lawyering BS that even he forgets in about 12 seconds. That's why the entire thing needs to be retconned and the best parts used as the inspiration for an entirely new anime-only setup that includes the pivotal main characters remaining alive.

The post-Shibuya whiplash was bad in the manga, but the weekly format makes the weirdest narrative decisions less impactful; people just kind of forget how bad it all was over time as new chapters come out.

But it will be incredibly loving confusing in the anime specifically. It's going to expose all of the lamest decisions of the culling games in the worst way possible.

I don’t know why you specifically keep bringing up the propellor guy, a character who showed up all of two chapters and use him as an example of a pointless character/ how the manga is terrible for having him at all, while simultaneously ignoring all sorcerers and spirits who also don’t really contribute much in Shibuya which you state is really good.

He’s literally no different than the locust spirit, the inverse guy, the seance grandma, the pox spirit , the lucky sorcerer and most of them contribute less than he does narratively

It is genuinely such a weird thing you harp on in your posts , for a character that is literally only in the manga to show the difference between modern and past sorcerers, with the manga treating them as such because of how little screen time they are given.

I don’t agree with the rest of your post either, but I just wanted to specifically target that because it’s just such a nothing issue that you keep using as an example of why the manga is bad and I really just don’t get it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Getting really mad about the author not fully utilizing this Dadoria character that showed up on namek.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Taima posted:

There’s

has anyone ever told you that you talk too much

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
JJK has always been more vibes-based to me rather than having everything fit together neatly and having it rhyme like poetry.

I'm sort of reminded of the Kurama vs Elder Toguro fight in YYH. I remember watching it with my brother and him being disappointed because Kurama just happened to have an ability that perfectly countered him and it was never set up before, and it just didn't make sense for him narratively, it wasn't neat enough. Whereas I was all whoa this was loving badass also it does make sense that Kurama would have an ability like this right? Why would the writer have any need to dangle the Chekov's gun in front of your face like that?

Come to think of it, the entire YYH final arc was like this as well. You're almost expecting this big final confrontation between Yusuke and the demon lords but one of them dies before the entire thing begins and the rest don't even make it to the final. Now this final arc isn't exactly remembered fondly but i'm one of those weirdoes who absolutely adored it :v: it really made me think about storytelling in general, like why would there be any absolute need for the good guy and the bad guy to have this big final confrontation and now everything is neatly wrapped up with a bow on top, not a single plot thread left unresolved. Isn't that all just a bit... too neat?

Not everything needs a setup and a payoff. Sometimes things are just random and messy. That's not necessarily a failure on the part of the writer and definitely not if it's a thing they set out to do in the first place, and I absolutely feel like this is a thing Gege set out to do.

(I still rate YYH far higher than JJK, for what it's worth.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Watching Shibuya with my anime-only buddies:

"First all-girls team up in the series and they need to get rescued from the no-name twink by a big strong man."
"Yuji and Fushiguro wouldn't need rescuing from this guy."
"It's okay; the author is a woman so it's not sexist."
"Is... Gege Akutami a woman?"
"She is, isn't she? Otherwise, oh no laughs."
Nobara deflects the hand blade and dude tells her to 'read the room' "Don't interrupt the scene; men are talking."
"This isn't really selling me on Nobara being 'the third protagonist' if that's what they were going for."
"It's just Yuji and Fushiguro."
"No, the third protagonist is Gojo laughs."
"Oh my god - he just told her to go back to the kitchen!"

I'm starting to realize why my impressions of Nobara's place in the story seemingly differs from those of the internet fanbase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cgfreak posted:

JJK has always been more vibes-based to me rather than having everything fit together neatly and having it rhyme like poetry.

I'm sort of reminded of the Kurama vs Elder Toguro fight in YYH. I remember watching it with my brother and him being disappointed because Kurama just happened to have an ability that perfectly countered him and it was never set up before, and it just didn't make sense for him narratively, it wasn't neat enough. Whereas I was all whoa this was loving badass also it does make sense that Kurama would have an ability like this right? Why would the writer have any need to dangle the Chekov's gun in front of your face like that?

Come to think of it, the entire YYH final arc was like this as well. You're almost expecting this big final confrontation between Yusuke and the demon lords but one of them dies before the entire thing begins and the rest don't even make it to the final. Now this final arc isn't exactly remembered fondly but i'm one of those weirdoes who absolutely adored it :v: it really made me think about storytelling in general, like why would there be any absolute need for the good guy and the bad guy to have this big final confrontation and now everything is neatly wrapped up with a bow on top, not a single plot thread left unresolved. Isn't that all just a bit... too neat?

Not everything needs a setup and a payoff. Sometimes things are just random and messy. That's not necessarily a failure on the part of the writer and definitely not if it's a thing they set out to do in the first place, and I absolutely feel like this is a thing Gege set out to do.

(I still rate YYH far higher than JJK, for what it's worth.)

See, I agree with you on YYH. I actually feel like the last arc is perfectly fine even if it is rushed and I really like where it goes.

My disagreement is that I don't think it fails to pay off what it set up narratively. It just rushes through it, which I think is more of the criticism. YYH, pretty much from the start, positions Yusuke as someone who is a fight-loving delinquent whose role in the story is being annoyed/angry at the status quo. It becomes a lot more clear once he comes back to life and the story starts focusing on the idea of what really defines a human or a demon and the morality of everyone involved. (Which is why the people behind the throne in the story become exclusively human characters, either in the form of them being funded by humans, being ex-humans, or so-on.) The final arc, rushed as it is, focuses on the idea that demons are not inherently evil, bad or cruel but that they are in situations that demand it, and Yusuke comes up with a way to break that cycle because he recognizes it loving sucks.

He also starts a fighting tournament because fighting is fun to him but he pretty explicitly comes down on the side of fighting being fun to him most when it isn't life or death. He enjoys fighting dangerous people but he doesn't actually want to fight to the death, he just wants to fight and he respects people who don't. Hein, Kurama and to a lesser extent Kuwabara also all find their own specific goals and in the case of all of them it is finding something besides just fighting. Hein learns to let go of his hatred and anger and become more than he was born to be, Kurama learns to balance his demon and human parts, and Kuwabara does the *loving cool* plot beat of going "Sorry Yusuke, but I'm actually more interested in going to school" and Yusuke's response is to be genuinely happy for him and cheer him on.

They don't close every single plot hole and they absolutely rush through some but the vibes based elements work because they are coherent paths for the characters who we have been following through the entire series. It subverts the ideas of a shonen series (the big epic superfight is entirely offscreen, which owns) but it follows a coherent path.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Taima posted:

you keep coming into the thread to post these spiels about your fantasies about rewriting jjk that no one cares about. this post was better before you edited it when it consisted in the first line exclusively

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Funny enough Fushiguro did need rescuing from that guy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Funny enough Fushiguro did need rescuing from that guy.

I mean if you're gonna remember things that's cheating

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I had to put my best poker face on.

But to be fair, Fushiguro's move was to go for the Mahogara double KO.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean if you're gonna remember things that's cheating

My anime-only buddies can't remember what they don't know.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

"First all-girls team up in the series and they need to get rescued from the no-name twink by a big strong man."
Nobara deflects the hand blade and dude tells her to 'read the room' "Don't interrupt the scene; men are talking."
"This isn't really selling me on Nobara being 'the third protagonist' if that's what they were going for."

I'm starting to realize why my impressions of Nobara's place in the story seemingly differs from those of the internet fanbase.

Good lord that seems miserable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

My anime-only buddies can't remember what they don't know.

Yeah that's why it's cheating compared to them. That was the joke.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oh, alright. Misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Didn't help we'd just tried the first UNDEAD UNLUCK episode, so violence against women was fresh on our minds.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Oh Snapple! posted:

huh? this sounds like normal banter during a simulwatch

wait, did you mean watching anime with other people in general?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am suddenly very glad that the people I watch anime with apparently are very abnormal.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Megumi was the true female protagonist all along

and he died so it aligns with the overall treatment of female cast members

yum fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 15, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Conspiratiorist posted:

You guys told me the woke mind virus wasn't real.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Your friends were right, especially where bolded.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

your friends sound like morons

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

that seems like a normal conversation lol

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

very confused what tone everyone is reading into that because it sounds mostly like two people lightly and humorously criticizing jjk's perceived sexism w/r/t marginalizing female characters, in this case nobara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Taima posted:

Yes. Admittedly most of the examples are b movie horror franchises, but I can think of at least one other Jump manga that did the same thing. Successfully, too.