Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This was funny as hell.

Luffy was also so hungry that he did Snakeman Culverin while in base form to grab more food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
chapter is officially out https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019096

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
third time i see that drat monkey terrorize good boy buggy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DizzyBum posted:

This was funny as hell.

Luffy was also so hungry that he did Snakeman Culverin while in base form to grab more food.

They got the full scene on youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID17UXT6nPc

Now this is some good rear end filler

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Saturn being like “oh you mean Kuma?” makes it sound like he’s not her actual dad. Wouldn’t she be the last survivor of the Buccaneers now if she was a blood relation?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Im still wondering if Vegapunk is just calling Bonney a child in the colloquial sense of relative youth and naivete compared to himself, a quite old and quite smart man

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My grandpa calls 30 year old people Kids I just assume its an old man thing

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

My skeleton calls grandmas “Young Lady”

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hatty posted:

My grandpa calls 30 year old people Kids I just assume its an old man thing

Yeah, exactly

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Im still wondering if Vegapunk is just calling Bonney a child in the colloquial sense of relative youth and naivete compared to himself, a quite old and quite smart man
It's just weird that people keep doing that for Bonney specifically given that she's supposedly older than half of the Straw Hats.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, Vegapunk clearly has a history with Bonney that he doesn't with the Straw Hats, they're familiar enough for him to do that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm going with occam's razor on this one. Multiple characters have refered to Bonney as a child, multiple times even, a distinction we haven't seen for other characters in this arc. Also, at the very start of the arc, we saw Bonney as a child in the warm eddy bubble, which is made out of seawater, which should negate her ability to actively use her devilfruit power.

So yeah, asserting that Bonney isn't a child reeks of desperation to me.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’ll be weird if Bonney is actually twelve or something but Id probably get over it eventually, like with the reverso very old twelve year olds I’ve put up with in other things id just roll my eyes a bit and go whatever. I would wish we didn’t get that shot of her bathing though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Oda outright gave the ages for the Supernovas and Bonney is 24 currently.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That means less than nothing imo, it makes far more sense if he was referring to the age she generally presents as.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. a) supplementary material can lie in order to hide twists (eg Sabo was listed as dead on his first Vivre Card) and b) Bonney, like many other Supernovas, probably only had her backstory and character finalised post-timeskip at the earliest (think about how much less stupid she was during the Saobody arc - her most notable action is trying to stop Luffy from picking a fight with the Celestial Dragons because she understands that would have terrible consequences).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 15, 2023

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
Saturn’s remark of “a pirate crew that sticks together” makes me think he is comparing the straw hats to the rocks pirates. I hope the flashback shows the whole God Valley incident.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I feel like the kid stuff is more likely intended to 1) signal that Bonney and Vegapunk are closer/more familiar with each other than we may have expected at the start of the arc and 2) indicate that Vegapunk first met Bonney when she was very young, with a possible implication that he hasn't seen her much since then and still thinks of her as a child. Also it clearly plays into the idea that Vegapunk feels responsible for Bonney because he lobotomized her father, which is pretty relevant here if he thinks he's about to watch her get instantly killed by Saturn. He's an Einstein joke in his 60s, him calling someone in their 20s a kid seems perfectly normal.

Hard to know without knowing the original wording and cultural context but it doesn't need to signal a twist when it's already doing a fair amount of character work.

if she is a kid then lmao not a lot to say about that one, rough.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Where does General Franky fit onto the Sunny?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One thing that just occurred to me about Bonney - why is she Jewelry Bonney? Shouldn't she be Bartholomew Bonney or even Emporio Bonney? Obviously the Doylist reason is that Oda didn't have specific plans for the Supernovas when he first created them, but I'm a little curious about the Watsonian reason.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Boy! That was a hell of a first chapter to read in real-time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

isn't General Franky made from Wapometal? it probably condenses down to a storage contain when not in use

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Silver2195 posted:

One thing that just occurred to me about Bonney - why is she Jewelry Bonney? Shouldn't she be Bartholomew Bonney or even Emporio Bonney? Obviously the Doylist reason is that Oda didn't have specific plans for the Supernovas when he first created them, but I'm a little curious about the Watsonian reason.

I think the jewelry part is just a nickname, but:iiam:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
old dudes in one piece call everyone half their age kids all the time it was practically whitebeards catchphrase

everyone especially calls luffy a kid including every old dude currently present at some point or another

ill eat my big hat if im wrong i guess but acting like this is such obvious coded foreshadowing its cope to suggest otherwise is wild to me

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Luffy needs to remember that Old Folks in One Piece are strong as gently caress so when he turns into a geezer he just starts zipping around like Rayleigh and throwing gorilla arm haymakers like grandpa Garp.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Valentin posted:

I feel like the kid stuff is more likely intended to 1) signal that Bonney and Vegapunk are closer/more familiar with each other than we may have expected at the start of the arc and 2) indicate that Vegapunk first met Bonney when she was very young, with a possible implication that he hasn't seen her much since then and still thinks of her as a child. Also it clearly plays into the idea that Vegapunk feels responsible for Bonney because he lobotomized her father, which is pretty relevant here if he thinks he's about to watch her get instantly killed by Saturn. He's an Einstein joke in his 60s, him calling someone in their 20s a kid seems perfectly normal.

Hard to know without knowing the original wording and cultural context but it doesn't need to signal a twist when it's already doing a fair amount of character work.

if she is a kid then lmao not a lot to say about that one, rough.
The thing is that Saturn and Kizaru (I think?) also said the same thing previously. And sure, they're old as well, but it's weird that multiple people would call out the same 24 year old (as opposed to the late teens/early twenties members of the Straw Hats) as being particularly young.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 15, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

given that the people calling her kid are Vegapunk, Saturn, and Kizaru, I would sooner conclude that the implication is that Bonney is much closer to the ruling government of the world than even being the daughter of a king and shichibukai previously indicated, since those are all extremely high ranking government officials. she's familiar enough with mariejois to successfully infiltrate the reverie and on top of that sneak into the castle, maybe we'll get child Bonney aging and deaging the gorosei for fun like they're her grandpas in a flashback. the gorosei and MADS and the admirals had a babysitting rota for whenever kuma was busy

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 15, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

nevermind I figured it out: she has Benjamin Buttons diseases

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
didn't Blackbeard capture and turn over Bonney after the Paramount War? I think there was a theory that she keeps some group of people young but we found out her powers are temporary. so she's probably important for more than just her relationship to Kuma. like Salazuki came to pick her up himself and he isn't exactly one to do pointless tasks

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The theory for a while was that Bonney used her powers as a makeshift way of keeping the 5 Elders immortal. We'd seen so little of her powers that it wasn't clear if their effects were only temporary or could have a permanent effect. Now, with all we've learned about the 5 Elders and her Devil Fruit in this arc, it doesn't seem as likely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

General Franky is the Docking of Black Rhino and the Brachio Tank, which are parked in Docks 5 and 4, respectively.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Julias posted:

So yeah, asserting that Bonney isn't a child reeks of desperation to me.

I am pretty desperate for Oda to not reveal the character he's been drawing the same way he draws every other sexy lady in the series is actually a child, yes

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Already happened with Rebecca and Pudding sadly

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The theory for a while was that Bonney used her powers as a makeshift way of keeping the 5 Elders immortal. We'd seen so little of her powers that it wasn't clear if their effects were only temporary or could have a permanent effect. Now, with all we've learned about the 5 Elders and her Devil Fruit in this arc, it doesn't seem as likely.

The elder stars have been made immortal with the ope ope fruit, and the process requires a mass human sacrifice, which is what the celestial dragons are for. Mr moon knight is next in line for immortality. Or something. Elder stars having CDs as cattle for their demonic feeding is my new favorite pet theory, no way the absurdly powerful demonic true rulers of the world pamper these dumbasses just because one of their distant ancestors was royalty. There's something more sinister going on, the CDs are being fed a comforting lie and kept unsullied for the eventual feeding, and the full military might of the navy will descend upon you if you dare play with the elder stars' food.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think Bonney is probably younger than she generally appears, but honestly, who knows. I don't think confidently stating she is or isn't at this point is all that justified. It's a mystery for now.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

I think Bonney is probably younger than she generally appears, but honestly, who knows. I don't think confidently stating she is or isn't at this point is all that justified. It's a mystery for now.

I'm irrationally upset that you typed out that last sentence and didn't use :iiam:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The butt shots of Bonney are creepy if she's a 12 year old - let's hope it's not that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Whered this derail come from anyways and why is the only evidence being an old man calling someone they knew as a child 'kid/child' or some variation thereof.
And Vegapunk did meet Dragon and the revolutionaries, who kuma was part of, at Ohara.

Tilting at windmills goddamn

Bonney is probably the entire reason why Kuma joined the revolutionaries, considering the current chapters flashback.
Poor guy, Kuma.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I dunno if it's considered a stereotype of youth in Japan to eat pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whered this derail come from anyways and why is the only evidence being an old man calling someone they knew as a child 'kid/child' or some variation thereof.
And Vegapunk did meet Dragon and the revolutionaries, who kuma was part of, at Ohara.

Tilting at windmills goddamn

Bonney is probably the entire reason why Kuma joined the revolutionaries, considering the current chapters flashback.
Poor guy, Kuma.

That's not the only evidence...