Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whered this derail come from anyways and why is the only evidence being an old man calling someone they knew as a child 'kid/child' or some variation thereof.
And Vegapunk did meet Dragon and the revolutionaries, who kuma was part of, at Ohara.

Tilting at windmills goddamn

Bonney is probably the entire reason why Kuma joined the revolutionaries, considering the current chapters flashback.
Poor guy, Kuma.

I don't disagree, but I think there is more evidence than "an old man calling her a child". For one thing she has a fruit that explicitly can change her age, so it's not like a "she secretly has nano-bots" theory, it would literally fit with her powers as shown. Also Vegapunk is calling her "just a child" like a lot, like a conspicuously foreshadowy amount, even around and to other people who are roughly her age, admonishing Franky for not protecting her when Franky is not that significantly older than her "normal" state (especially in comparison to VP himself).

And honestly, I would think that it makes even more sense that Bonnie is the reason Kuma left the revolutionaries and volunteered to become a warlord and human weapon. If he joined the revolutionaries for her because he wanted to make the world a better place for her, it makes little sense why he would do a complete 180 later. If he was offered a deal for her protection, that makes some sense.

I'd still put the "Bonnie is actually a child" theory at like 25% myself, but its got more compelling evidence and setup than like 9 out of 10 One Piece fan theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I wonder if we see the rest of Bonney's crew at any point. All we know is she came here alone.

Incidentally while double checking that situation

Bonney was at the lab as a child and it didn't look anything like it does now

She also never saw the other Vegapunks

And they met when he still had his big head.

And we get a small aside showing at least pre-warlord Kuma holding her

For Bonney to be a Literal Actual Child things would have had to progress on Kuma (the flashback to when he had his memories removed already had Vegapunk with his head cut off) and Egghead really fast. Which considering how science goes in the real world isn't impossible, but....

Also Stussy was well aware of stuff like holograms & the labophase in full, and was made 20 years ago. But she's also been keeping in contact with the Vegapunks that entire time anyway for spy poo poo so like...not super helpful here.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Could be that eating the age fruit locked Bonney’s “true” body in to the age she was when she ate it. While she can change her body to look like how it’s supposed to, she’s “actually” a child

I really do hope Bonney is just actually an adult though

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Could be that eating the age fruit locked Bonney’s “true” body in to the age she was when she ate it. While she can change her body to look like how it’s supposed to, she’s “actually” a child

Sugar does set a precedent for that, I guess.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

rannum posted:

I wonder if we see the rest of Bonney's crew at any point. All we know is she came here alone.

Presumably they got wiped out when Blackbeard kidnapped her.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright so I checked the wiki and

- Bonney's crew have been MIA since Teach captured here
- Bonney being Kuma's daughter was spoiled in a Vivre Card before the manga brought it up
- Her age is indeed just an estimation
- Her least favorite food is carrots
- She is Australian

All of these things are some level of cursed information.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Funky Valentine posted:

- She is Australian

oda has gone too far

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need to see her in the live action now

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Funky Valentine posted:

- Her least favorite food is carrots

So that's why she didn't join...

edit:

Waffleman_ posted:

I need to see her in the live action now

imagine casting the supernovas for the live action and turning to urouge and going "alright we'll call you back in like a decade?"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Bonney's "real" age also just isn't an important detail at this point. As long as she's under 26 or so it doesn't impact our understanding of anything at all, the story is completely unaffected. (that's why I don't get why it keeps getting brought up)

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

RuBisCO posted:

imagine casting the supernovas for the live action and turning to urouge and going "alright we'll call you back in like a decade?"
They cast Christian Bale as Urouge and he does all of the muscle mass transformations himself, scene by scene, in order

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
she was sent into the future by toki, but fewer years this time

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The real conspiracy is that she's a clone of the real bonney and also has her memories.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If true, how on earth will goons be able to process a mature mind in an underage vessel that can artificially age themselves though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, if it's that she's mentally 24, the fruit stuck her body at a baseline of the age she ate it, but she still mostly presents as a body matching her mental age, that's fine

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Kind of surprised people are going with "she must actually be a child" because the implication I got from the various extremely important people talking about her is that she presented herself as one when she was around them to get them to drop their guard/ignore her.

Like she literally disguised herself via age manipulation at reverie and was the one who introduced the whole concept of "keep your head down around the celestial dragons"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Aren't carrots the food that children stereotypically hate in Japan? Always found it strange since it was by far the least bad vegetable to me

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Aren't carrots the food that children stereotypically hate in Japan? Always found it strange since it was by far the least bad vegetable to me

I believe that was green peppers. I remember hearing that in the movie Inside Out they had the girl the emotions were inside of hate broccoli in every version except the Japanese version, where it was changed to green peppers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc it’s green peppers, which makes about as much sense as broccoli (none at all) but hey.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Revery really does bring up the question of how much attention the WG even pays to the various member governments. Kuma was apparently king of Sorbet for a while, and Bonnie presumably made up a Queen Dowager to pose as. At the same time there seems to have been absolutely no pushback or care about either Drum Island or Dressrosa just up and changing their rulers.

Other than the Revolutionaries explicitly overthrowing a government, has the WG ever been shown to give a single gently caress about who's ruling and how their running the various member nations? Alabasta almost had a full coupe, and they're extra special quasi-Celestial Dragons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doflamingo made a big effort to establish the legitimacy of his takeover by trashing the previous King's reputation and stepping in to save the kingdom. Crocodile was trying to do something similar.

Idk about Drum Island but I guess Wapol was always a dick so no-one cared

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wapol was the rightful heir, he was just the classic case of incompetence that comes about when a qualified ruler dies and leaves a spoiled brat to take over.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wapol abandoned Drum Kingdom when the Blackbeard Pirates came, anyways. I guess they could always use that as justification. (Though Doffy did use the whole "my ancestors used to rule this place" as a threat against King RIku.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wapol always meant to come back when Blackbeard was gone though, he somehow just got lost for months because he forgot an Eternal Pose. Which I bring up not to be pedantic, but because it’s really effing funny that he remembered his army and indentured servant doctors but not, you know, the thing that makes the Grand Line not a death trap.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think this is it. She ate the age-age fruit or something to that effect, so she's effectively immortal but in a very technical sense she'll always be a child.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Not that I feel that this is likely, but I feel like it’s worth nothing that Bonney’s powers have, as of yet, not been confirmed to come from a devil fruit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kild posted:

That's not the only evidence...

And Luffy is still stretchy and brook doesnt die a final death in contact with water and Mr.3's can produce wax and the wax still works in contact with seastone.
and the list goes on.

And for the same reason: Sugar doesnt age up when shes knocked unconscious.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 16, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bleck posted:

Not that I feel that this is likely, but I feel like it’s worth nothing that Bonney’s powers have, as of yet, not been confirmed to come from a devil fruit.

i get the feeling that it might be an artificial devil fruit of some kind; that Vegapunk gave her the powers, and that it's all tied to Kuma giving up his self. But that might be overcomplicating a thing that's just that the fruit reveal will be a big moment.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gyges posted:

Revery really does bring up the question of how much attention the WG even pays to the various member governments. Kuma was apparently king of Sorbet for a while, and Bonnie presumably made up a Queen Dowager to pose as. At the same time there seems to have been absolutely no pushback or care about either Drum Island or Dressrosa just up and changing their rulers.

Other than the Revolutionaries explicitly overthrowing a government, has the WG ever been shown to give a single gently caress about who's ruling and how their running the various member nations? Alabasta almost had a full coupe, and they're extra special quasi-Celestial Dragons.

so long as they keep getting their Heavenly Tributes, I doubt the WG gives a poo poo what happens to its member nations

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, my understanding is that the WG is actually pretty hands-off under normal circumstances. They sort of have to be, given the logistical problems of the One Piece world’s bizarre geography/geology.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dragon’s siege of Mariejois is such a clear, concise and clever plan for forcing the hand of the World Government that I can scarcely believe it’s allowed in a shonen manga

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

Dragon’s siege of Mariejois is such a clear, concise and clever plan for forcing the hand of the World Government that I can scarcely believe it’s allowed in a shonen manga

its almost like oda is smart and does research. hosed up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They don't have a single food logia in the WG??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Technically every person is already made of food

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

No Wave posted:

...green bull?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The vibe I get is the WG doesn't really give a poo poo about the actual individual rulers of its member nations and Levely is just a little game the govnerment puts on to placate them. "Oh yes come hang out in our big house and pretend like you actually matter for a couple of days it'll be such fun" and meanwhile any random Celestial Dragon has more power in the world than all of them combined. That's even before accounting for the fact that was secretly a ruler of the world the whole time that nobody but the Elders knew about.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Drakkel posted:

The vibe I get is the WG doesn't really give a poo poo about the actual individual rulers of its member nations and Levely is just a little game the govnerment puts on to placate them. "Oh yes come hang out in our big house and pretend like you actually matter for a couple of days it'll be such fun" and meanwhile any random Celestial Dragon has more power in the world than all of them combined. That's even before accounting for the fact that was secretly a ruler of the world the whole time that nobody but the Elders knew about.
It's also a good opportunity to kidnap, kill them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I think the Levely does actually matter to a degree. For example, I think the idea of getting rid of the Warlords came from the kings (in combination with the Marine Science Unit preparing for the possibility), not Imu and the Elder Stars. (IIRC, the order to disband the Warlords came before the Mother Flame was tested on Lulusia; if it was Imu's idea they would probably have waited until after they were sure their superweapon worked before making Mihawk their enemy.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

No Wave posted:

That guy’s Big Mom’s head chef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like the WG is probably not at risk of starvation, the CDs are just extremely mad about not having the luxury food imports they're used to.