Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Horseshoe theory isn't real, it isn't real, I continue to insist as I shrink and form a coalition government with the Nazi party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Horseshoe theory isn't real, it isn't real, I continue to insist as I shrink and form a coalition government with the Nazi party

The important thing is that it owns the libs :thumbsup:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Strategic Tea posted:

Other two parties forming future Slovak government can't be really considered far left, they are mostly populist conservative pro-oligarchic parties. Fico adopted the language of far right to absorb their votes.

mobby_6kl posted:

The important thing is that it owns the libs :thumbsup:

yeah this

zone
Dec 6, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

The charge of the light brigade happened because the two involved commanders were brothers-in-law or some such relation who were not on speaking terms due to petty family bullshit, so when obviously flawed and ambiguous orders about attacking artillery positions were relayed between them, the guy in charge of cavalry decided to order a suicide assault on what he assumed was the objective while throwing his arms in the air and passively aggressively saying "ok, I'm sure you know what you are doing, who am I to question your brilliance" rather than ask for clarification.

The Russians have already found 100 ways to make that scenario look like a display of tactical genius in comparison.

Ours not to reason why, ours to just die

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The Fico–Orbán axis might be disrupted by the fact that the Orbán vocally considers large parts of Slovakia stolen Hungarian clay, something which wasn't an issue for the PiS-Fidesz axis.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I'll believe the Polish results when PiS concedes, I wouldn't put it past them to try and pull some supreme court level fuckery before this is over.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Samovar posted:

Mods, plz.

:cheers:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Dravs posted:

I'll believe the Polish results when PiS concedes, I wouldn't put it past them to try and pull some supreme court level fuckery before this is over.

Not every country is :911: and I'm pretty sure the PiS will concede without much complaining as I've not seen any indication that they'll be claiming voting fraud or anything similar

It's more a question if Donald Tusk manages to get a coalition going as he needs help from pretty much everyone else except the far right

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Anders posted:

Not every country is :911: and I'm pretty sure the PiS will concede without much complaining as I've not seen any indication that they'll be claiming voting fraud or anything similar

It's more a question if Donald Tusk manages to get a coalition going as he needs help from pretty much everyone else except the far right

I've been reading that they're already throwing a bitch fit about having the most votes of any party and thus get to remain in power.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

steinrokkan posted:

The charge of the light brigade happened because the two involved commanders were brothers-in-law or some such relation who were not on speaking terms due to petty family bullshit, so when obviously flawed and ambiguous orders about attacking artillery positions were relayed between them, the guy in charge of cavalry decided to order a suicide assault on what he assumed was the objective while throwing his arms in the air and passively aggressively saying "ok, I'm sure you know what you are doing, who am I to question your brilliance" rather than ask for clarification.

The Russians have already found 100 ways to make that scenario look like a display of tactical genius in comparison.

Meanwhile the big-big commander was watching through a scope from this beautiful high plateau in the foreground where he could see the entire debacle unfolding, the whole brigade just galloping down the valley straight into the guns that were just over the slight rise to the right that we from this vantage point could see perfectly well but they on horseback had no idea about, and he's just sitting there in disbelief going "what in the name of gently caress is that rear end in a top hat doing", which coincidentally is exactly what anyone with photography of that mound of mine tailings would be saying to anyone hurling their rear end up against its sheer walls

Now there's a motocross track on that hill lol

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Deki posted:

I've been reading that they're already throwing a bitch fit about having the most votes of any party and thus get to remain in power.

Sure you've not misunderstood that they want to get first try at making a coalition? Because that's customary in Europe letting the biggest party go first, but usually not when the opposition clearly have most votes

I'm trying to look up anything if I've missed it - but considering Norway has a pretty large Polish population I think that'd be covered in national news if PiS tried to cling to power outside the usual political grandstanding

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I heard a blurb on the news this morning saying that they wouldn't be able to form a coalition even after getting the highest number of votes because there weren't any other parties that would work with them.

This was American news so it could be wrong as poo poo lol

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

weg posted:

I heard a blurb on the news this morning saying that they wouldn't be able to form a coalition even after getting the highest number of votes because there weren't any other parties that would work with them.

This was American news so it could be wrong as poo poo lol

It's true - pis will probably have most members, but the next 3 biggest parties look like they will have enough votes to form a coalition government and they already said they'll do it. The last (basically libertarian fascist) party said they won't join with a coalition with anyone (though I doubt they wouldn't join pis if push came to shove).

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Gervasius posted:

Hungary lost Poland but gained Slovakia so yeah, not that great.

Has anyone else here who knows Czechoslovaks kind of gotten the feeling that they see Slovakia as the Florida?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

does anyone have a list of all the subtitles this thread has had?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

mmkay posted:

It's true - pis will probably have most members, but the next 3 biggest parties look like they will have enough votes to form a coalition government and they already said they'll do it. The last (basically libertarian fascist) party said they won't join with a coalition with anyone (though I doubt they wouldn't join pis if push came to shove).

They'd probably go in as a budget partner though. Then they'll still be able to make life worse for refugees and LGBTQ+, but have none of the responsibility

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Groda posted:

Has anyone else here who knows Czechoslovaks kind of gotten the feeling that they see Slovakia as the Florida?

Yes just without the gators

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Groda posted:

That makes no sense

Slovakia is more like a cross between Alabama and deep Appalachia

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
self-imposed hamburger hill

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Groda posted:

...well, nobody knows any Czechoslovaks anymore.

Also, ty Karma Comedian.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mllaneza posted:

Reporting From Ukraine has a lot of imagery on this assault. My summary? WHAT THE gently caress RUSSIA? WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress ARE YOU DOING? General Haig is looking up from Hell shaking his head. GO THE gently caress AROUND. DO NOT ASSAULT THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CNhVFeQdk

"It was not war, it was murder."

What the gently caress indeed. I'm pretty sure "don't charge headlong towards a giant fortress-shaped pile of earth full of enemies with ranged weapons who are all trying to kill you" has been the number one rule of warfare since humans first worked out how to dig trenches and throw pointy sticks at each other.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Got to wonder what that one guy scaling the wall was thinking. Maybe hoping to make it to the top and surrender. :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

raifield posted:

Got to wonder what that one guy scaling the wall was thinking. Maybe hoping to make it to the top and surrender. :(

So desperate that The Climb was the only thing left in his universe.

gently caress Putin. :(

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
But have you considered all the dead soldiers were violent worthless convicts whose absence now frees up one million rubles to buy another twenty Shahed drones to kill more Ukranian children in Kyiv :ussr:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

EorayMel posted:

But have you considered all the dead soldiers were violent worthless convicts whose absence now frees up one million rubles to buy another twenty Shahed drones to kill more Ukranian children in Kyiv :ussr:

Real talk: how many convicts does Russia have left to conscript?

Are they just arresting more people to refill their numbers?

I know there was a limited draft, but what the gently caress

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

raifield posted:

He was just trying to get his piece of the Aggro Crag.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The Fico–Orbán axis might be disrupted by the fact that the Orbán vocally considers large parts of Slovakia stolen Hungarian clay, something which wasn't an issue for the PiS-Fidesz axis.

Missed out on a chance for the Fico-PiS Alliance

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EorayMel posted:

*prison food money that would have gone to them goes to buying warden gold trim curtains for solitary confinement chambers*

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TulliusCicero posted:

Imagine being the last guy left on the cell block like ‘nah i’m good here’

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

supposedly the vorys are actually anti-authority so they see joining the war as being a rat

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EorayMel posted:

That was a Wagner thing. The troops in the latest assault look like they actually have decent gear, so they're not starving mobiks issued two left shoes by a drunken quartermaster, but they don't act like experienced soldiers either. They were probably rushing recruits through basic training and then straight to the front in the buildup for their blitzkrieg, with panic and confusion ensuing when their WW1-era strategy of "charge the enemy across open terrain" went wrong.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh I actually listened to an episode of the NYT podcast about this, back when the 3 day operation started. Basically Russia has enough draft candidates for something ridiculous, like 10+ years? Maybe it was 30. What they don't have is resources to keep up with the logistics part. But human bodies to throw at the enemy? covered

Coincidentally I recently read a book about world war I, apparently in the first world war, Russian armies were so low on weapons and resources that some squads were composed of 1st and 2nd groups, and the 2nd group went into battles without rifles, because they were expected to stand behind the 1st group and pick up the rifles as they fell and keep fighting :black101: (They usually didn't)

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/first-world-war-hew-strachan/1100315884

Very dry and somewhat boring stuff (even the author admits the docuseries is better), but a lot of interesting facts about WWI (Jews were considered Friends of Germany, protected by state, etc).

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_1914_(novel)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Reporting From Ukraine has a lot of imagery on this assault. My summary? WHAT THE gently caress RUSSIA? WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress ARE YOU DOING? General Haig is looking up from Hell shaking his head. GO THE gently caress AROUND. DO NOT ASSAULT THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CNhVFeQdk

"It was not war, it was murder."

What particularly stood out to me was that Russia apparently used tanks for the primary fire support. There's no mention of artillery support. It's absolutely wild that the goddamn Russian army is being stingy with artillery.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh I actually listened to an episode of the NYT podcast about this, back when the 3 day operation started. Basically Russia has enough draft candidates for something ridiculous, like 10+ years? Maybe it was 30. What they don't have is resources to keep up with the logistics part. But human bodies to throw at the enemy? covered

Coincidentally I recently read a book about world war I, apparently in the first world war, Russian armies were so low on weapons and resources that some squads were composed of 1st and 2nd groups, and the 2nd group went into battles without rifles, because they were expected to stand behind the 1st group and pick up the rifles as they fell and keep fighting :black101: (They usually didn't)

Very dry and somewhat boring stuff (even the author admits the docuseries is better), but a lot of interesting facts about WWI (Jews were considered Friends of Germany, protected by state, etc).

Even if they run out of prisons to empty, in the end unless something changes they can just snatch people and throw them on the mobik bus.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Haystack posted:

What particularly stood out to me was that Russia apparently used tanks for the primary fire support. There's no mention of artillery support. It's absolutely wild that the goddamn Russian army is being stingy with artillery.

A lot of it was already used to blow up fields and apartments and also blew up in their depots from HIMARS and/or drone strikes so Russia now has to go beg for more from North Korea of all loving places

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm completely certain Russia is still pulling prisoners out of prisons to throw into Ukraine even at this moment, just that it's not as profound at this point, even if there weren't (m)any prisoners in the latest failed human wave assault. Too politically convenient for Russia to stop freeing up prison space and costs for the most expendable of the expendables that might accomplish something useful on the battlefield without getting Moscow and St. Petersburg too concerned about conscription.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is also especially relevant with how Russia in WW1 declared rifles more precious than gold with at least 1,000,000 more soldiers than rifles and bought anything from American-made Mosins and 1895 lever guns using Mosin Nagant ammo(pretty good for WW1) and even bought a few thousand obsolete French single shot gummy&gritty black powder Gras/Kropatschek rifles(pretty bad but better than literally no gun) so this is far from Russian's first destructive device deficiency rodeo.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 16, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mllaneza posted:

its-over-anakin-i-have-the-high-ground.gif

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/militarnyi_en/status/1713922805090210164?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzB9tB7B3sg

talk about breadlines

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

its-over-anakin-i-have-the-high-ground.gif

This Obi Kenobi didn't leave Anakin alive in any way, shape or form. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
Pillbug

....how does that even work, why would a bread factory be a good place to start electronics production?