Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

which magic girl anime has the best action sequences

my magical girl exposure is basically just madoka and debatably granbelm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1vVwRBPgVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lol at this youtube channel that just edits fight sequences out of precure episodes. thank you for your service, "precure all fights!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSmCu-_11bA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKzB71mmvpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJbo5pkljUA

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
gotta say im an instant fan of Precure Trope when their cute widdle platform boots click against the ground really crisply

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i like the fact that people have uploaded every clip of the bad boy wolf villain from smile with 'anthro - furry' in the title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vCUolKFQ5Y

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

which magic girl anime has the best action sequences

my magical girl exposure is basically just madoka and debatably granbelm

precure has periodic pop-off episodes like any long running action series.

madoka or flip flappers is probably it for concentrated 12 episode stuff? feel like im missing one other obvious one too but can't think of what

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

gotta say im an instant fan of Precure Trope when their cute widdle platform boots click against the ground really crisply
the heel click and the echo on their voice when a precure calls their attack name :discourse:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You watch Precure for good old fashioned punching fights, Nanoha if you want your magical girls to fight like Mecha and spam beams and Symphogear if you want a fusion of the 2 with singing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there are plenty of laser seasons of precure also

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
buddy i was watching precure with was flipping through franchise credits and was like oh the dbz guy did og precure visual design. makes perfect sense. they are literally the same thing

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Cute Goku

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like the original director was Dragonball director and the original pitch was something that was a buddy cop like show and they got it through (Partly cause Toei probably had to rush it into production as the previous series airing in the time slot bombed for toy sales)

It also means sometimes you get fights like this in the original series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZmrataBQQU (From Movie 2). It's kinda of one of the more brutal fights I've seen in a magical girl show and I was shocked Toei let it through....and they probably shouldn't have

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like the original director was Dragonball director and the original pitch was something that was a buddy cop like show and they got it through (Partly cause Toei probably had to rush it into production as the previous series airing in the time slot bombed for toy sales)

It also means sometimes you get fights like this in the original series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZmrataBQQU (From Movie 2). It's kinda of one of the more brutal fights I've seen in a magical girl show and I was shocked Toei let it through....and they probably shouldn't have

Hell, Masako Nozawa even has a reoccurring role as the grandmother of one of the main Cures

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok ngl those other videos had me feeling pretty underwhelmed but this one is great

checking out other "Go! Princess Pretty Cure" videos on that channel they seem consistently well done. is that show's writing any good?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

some of that animation in the hand to hand stuff is pretty awkward but on the whole i'm picking up what that's putting down. it sounds like it's kind of the exception though?

Tales of Woe posted:

precure has periodic pop-off episodes like any long running action series.

madoka or flip flappers is probably it for concentrated 12 episode stuff? feel like im missing one other obvious one too but can't think of what

i mean i can pick up a 24 episode show or something but "periodic pop-off episodes" sounds like most episodes are not good action sequences. i recall hearing good buzz around flip flappers though, i should probably take a closer look at that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a good chunk of this one is pretty good too

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

SatoshiMiwa posted:

first shot she looks like fuvking wide vegeta lol. hell yeah

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I like Go Princess a lot and think it's good a solid story and one of the better support characters in the series. It's middle arc while not bad is just sorta of there compared to other that tried the same thing

But yeah with Precure while you can get some amazing fight episodes it's in the end a 48 episode show, not everything can/should/will be at a high level. There's going to be some C episodes just by the nature of the show and than it'll air episodes during vacation time when people probably won't be watching (and sometimes they can be good but you know...)

Ohtori Akio posted:

first shot she looks like fuvking wide vegeta lol. hell yeah

I remember reading a tweet ages ago that an MMA fighter got into fighting cause of that clip and I can totally see that

Edit: Otona Precure is gonna be 12 episodes so that may be able to keep a high level as it's short. The fight we got this episode was really good and felt like they could flex a bit more since it wasn't a kids show...shame the henshin was from 2008 though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://youtu.be/HumweRRMTeI?feature=shared

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fuZGO0j9g

this is my favorite fight btw

lol at that sub font tho

also moforun's voice is a lot

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I like Go Princess a lot and think it's good a solid story and one of the better support characters in the series. It's middle arc while not bad is just sorta of there compared to other that tried the same thing

But yeah with Precure while you can get some amazing fight episodes it's in the end a 48 episode show, not everything can/should/will be at a high level. There's going to be some C episodes just by the nature of the show and than it'll air episodes during vacation time when people probably won't be watching (and sometimes they can be good but you know...)

I remember reading a tweet ages ago that an MMA fighter got into fighting cause of that clip and I can totally see that

Edit: Otona Precure is gonna be 12 episodes so that may be able to keep a high level as it's short. The fight we got this episode was really good and felt like they could flex a bit more since it wasn't a kids show...shame the henshin was from 2008 though

i mean the action anime that's firing on all cylinders every episode is exceptionally rare. but there's a difference between a good fight every 3 episodes and every 6 episodes you know?

i didn't realize this would be a 48 episode commitment though, that is an awful lot lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every precure series runs for a year like power rangers or kamen rider, so they run for 47-50ish eps each

theyre honestly pretty light watching though, my friend and i blasted through both yes and its sequel series in like a month by watching 3-4 eps a day and we didnt really feel fatigued.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

ok ngl those other videos had me feeling pretty underwhelmed but this one is great

checking out other "Go! Princess Pretty Cure" videos on that channel they seem consistently well done. is that show's writing any good?

some of that animation in the hand to hand stuff is pretty awkward but on the whole i'm picking up what that's putting down. it sounds like it's kind of the exception though?

i mean i can pick up a 24 episode show or something but "periodic pop-off episodes" sounds like most episodes are not good action sequences. i recall hearing good buzz around flip flappers though, i should probably take a closer look at that
gopri is pretty high up there imo, depends on how much you like the high society princess boarding school aesthetic though. its a very school centric series where a lot of precure seasons barely have school episodes at all

but yeah precure is not a high budget show, its a 50 episode a year sunday morning toy commercial for 5 year old girls, outside of the really big episodes the animation can get pretty limited but they almost always go hard on the storyboards at least. that's one thing I love about hirogaru is that cure sky's design is all about suggesting movement when they can't always actually animate it. and hugtto, people went insane over that series because that's a season where they were incredibly willing to get sloppy and go rough in service of action cuts, even outside of fight scenes

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
guess endorph likes the fuvking furry season

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Meowywitch posted:

I want an anime to make me cry

watch rideback, op

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
yearlong shows are almost always easygoing poo poo you can catch up with a friend over, or, mobile suit gundam

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kira kira is at the bottom of my list because i cant stand their loving shoes

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

homeless snail posted:

lol oh wow thats pretty bad

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats why heartcatch is one of the best looking seasons cause the designs are really simple so they can just do a lot of goofy animation with them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thank you. people always call me a psycho when i call their shoes weird

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

https://twitter.com/yadu_nadu/status/1713838779981820085

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

cure parfait is one of the worst designs theyve ever made

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
parfaits a sleep paralysis demon imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

cure parfait is one of the worst designs theyve ever made

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Poor Cure Mofurun forever banished to movie only land cause of production committee's

I remember when AOT first hit and people were doing version of the opening the Precure version being one of the better and it still holds up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_0zutFxO_o

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fuZGO0j9g

this is my favorite fight btw

lol at that sub font tho

this is pretty dope

1:00-1:20 in particular she just keeps flipping and moving that's some good stuff

Endorph posted:

lol at that sub font tho

lmao @ this being the only part with reasonable font choice

the voice was pretty rough but my tolerance for it feels adequate

homeless snail posted:

gopri is pretty high up there imo, depends on how much you like the high society princess boarding school aesthetic though. its a very school centric series where a lot of precure seasons barely have school episodes at all

my immediate feeling is pretty value neutral on this

homeless snail posted:

but yeah precure is not a high budget show, its a 50 episode a year sunday morning toy commercial for 5 year old girls, outside of the really big episodes the animation can get pretty limited but they almost always go hard on the storyboards at least.

bummer

homeless snail posted:

and hugtto, people went insane over that series because that's a season where they were incredibly willing to get sloppy and go rough in service of action cuts, even outside of fight scenes

what does "get sloppy and go rough" mean here

Endorph posted:

every precure series runs for a year like power rangers or kamen rider, so they run for 47-50ish eps each

theyre honestly pretty light watching though, my friend and i blasted through both yes and its sequel series in like a month by watching 3-4 eps a day and we didnt really feel fatigued.

"shows i can comfortably eat food to" is a currently underserved niche in my life...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Look Kira Kira is over designed but it also a manga chapter where Akira gets turned into Chocolate so in the end it rocks

Also the fact Bibury got so popular they had turn good but because they didn't plan it she's still the same bratty character

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Getting "sloppy and rough" means your willing to go off model to get animation that looks more dynamic and fluid in motion. When done right it can be really great and get action to really pop off but it can also be overdone and just make you roll your eyes. Trigger's Imaishi is a real good example of stylized version of that style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Getting "sloppy and rough" means your willing to go off model to get animation that looks more dynamic and fluid in motion. When done right it can be really great and get action to really pop off but it can also be overdone and just make you roll your eyes. Trigger's Imaishi is a real good example of stylized version of that style

hey i love that poo poo