Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t know what to tell you, maybe I type salmon a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible to use the Maps Flyover feature to make a custom Flyover tour? Me and my friends are about to go on a big trip next week and I thought it would be fun to make a little video where Maps goes over the 3D view of the main places we’ll be visiting in each city.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it possible to use the Maps Flyover feature to make a custom Flyover tour? Me and my friends are about to go on a big trip next week and I thought it would be fun to make a little video where Maps goes over the 3D view of the main places we’ll be visiting in each city.

Screen record each city and put them together in iMovie? That would be pretty quick tbh

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Something just changed with my iMessage notifications where it used to show the names in the notification but now it just says Notification. I haven't touched a thing and it suddenly does this.

Restarting fixed this. Sounds like it might not be an uncommon bug

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I photographed a big concert the other night and decided to shoot a few frames on the 15 pro max while moving around the venue. Very impressive.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Babymetal? I see you are a person of culture.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quackles posted:

Babymetal? I see you are a person of culture.

Hell yeah. You can see my real photos here and here

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Those sure are cellphone pictures of a concert.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

American McGay posted:

:jerkbag:

Pretty neat how far cellphone cameras have come

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

American McGay posted:

Yes, I'm glad you are semiliterate.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

MarcusSA posted:

Screen record each city and put them together in iMovie? That would be pretty quick tbh
The default flyover just seems to pick half a dozen of the most popular places in a city and stop there. Ideally what I’d want is a custom flyover that’s like “here’s the airport we’re landing at, then here’s a cool restaurant we’re going to, then here’s a concert venue” and stuff ike that rather than just, like, the city hall or whatever.

Flyover is such a cool visual effect for looking at a city and it’s a shame Apple doesn’t seem to have expanded on it since launching it a few years back.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The default flyover just seems to pick half a dozen of the most popular places in a city and stop there. Ideally what I’d want is a custom flyover that’s like “here’s the airport we’re landing at, then here’s a cool restaurant we’re going to, then here’s a concert venue” and stuff ike that rather than just, like, the city hall or whatever.

Flyover is such a cool visual effect for looking at a city and it’s a shame Apple doesn’t seem to have expanded on it since launching it a few years back.

You can do a custom flyover in google earth, you need to set up a KML (or a folder) with all the points of interest and then play back them in the software

https://support.google.com/earth/thread/48430571/how-do-i-fly-over-imported-kml-route-in-3d?hl=en

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

You can do a custom flyover in google earth, you need to set up a KML (or a folder) with all the points of interest and then play back them in the software

https://support.google.com/earth/thread/48430571/how-do-i-fly-over-imported-kml-route-in-3d?hl=en
I forgot there even was desktop software for Google Earth! Might have to give it a go then, cheers!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I forgot there even was desktop software for Google Earth! Might have to give it a go then, cheers!

Desktop google earth along with precursors like NASA World Wind, were a lot of fun in early computer and internet times. They are mostly forgotten now in consumer software, but they were really foundational.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Desktop google earth along with precursors like NASA World Wind, were a lot of fun in early computer and internet times. They are mostly forgotten now in consumer software, but they were really foundational.

Desktop google earth (or as they call it, google earth pro) still gets updates too. Not in any meaningful way, it feels like one developer gets a couple hours to work on it every month, but stuff has been added over time.

I use it pretty heavily for trip planning, especially for picking out photography spots.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
sent my trade-in to at&t for this 15P on oct 4th, still showing as in transit. pitney bowes sucks rear end. at&t trade-in process sucks rear end. never going to do this again.

i guess i get to spend some hours on a help call tomorrow to complain at someone who has nothing to do with this and no way to help, but hopefully they can push my deadline to have my traded phone in or something. i got my 15P on launch day, so the deadline for them to get it in is the 22nd. hopefully it's just sitting on a pallet somewhere in a facility waiting to get processed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

sent my trade-in to at&t for this 15P on oct 4th, still showing as in transit. pitney bowes sucks rear end. at&t trade-in process sucks rear end. never going to do this again.

i guess i get to spend some hours on a help call tomorrow to complain at someone who has nothing to do with this and no way to help, but hopefully they can push my deadline to have my traded phone in or something. i got my 15P on launch day, so the deadline for them to get it in is the 22nd. hopefully it's just sitting on a pallet somewhere in a facility waiting to get processed.

They're probably getting literally a million phones coming at them. Some poor bastard or 500 have to open all the boxes and scan them in.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They're probably getting literally a million phones coming at them. Some poor bastard or 500 have to open all the boxes and scan them in.

Hey look I get it, but they’re the ones putting this deadline on me and then leaving me at the mercy of third party contractors.

I’m just anxious is all!! Aahhh!!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My trade in got literally lost when I bought my 12 Pro and after some hemming and hawing they just gave me credit for it anyways. The tracking number said it was delivered to them.

They don’t care that much, it’ll be fine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m lucky that I have a Verizon corporate store within walking distance and dropped off my 13 Pro trade in for my 15 Pro. In addition to no risk of losing it in shipping, they verified the trade in immediately.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Alright what ad blocker is everyone using these days, I just saw 1Blocker is asking me to sign up for a subscription even though I bought the app and they can go gently caress themselves

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Pirate Jet posted:

Alright what ad blocker is everyone using these days, I just saw 1Blocker is asking me to sign up for a subscription even though I bought the app and they can go gently caress themselves

You mean you bought the old one from like 7 years ago? If you still have it installed then it should notice and auto-upgrade you to a limited lifetime version, or you can just buy the new lifetime license at a great discount.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Wipr

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
1Blocker told me it was going to start charging me $5/year a year ago so I started saving 42 cents a month to afford it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Boris Galerkin posted:

1Blocker told me it was going to start charging me $5/year a year ago so I started saving 42 cents a month to afford it.

I just use the free adblocking and ignore the rest

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Switched over to this and it’s been great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

Yeah I’ve used Wipr for a couple years now and you don’t even notice it at all, that’s how good it is. Also seems to have been one step ahead of all the YouTube changes over the years, let’s hope that holds up.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Also been using Wipr for years. It's very set it and forget it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Just booted Crystal off my phone and am trying Wipr based on all this feedback- thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: nevermind it’s 2 bucks I’m just gonna get it

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 17, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I haven’t used wipr but I think 1Blocker works at a lower level and is more configurable if that matters to anyone- blocks in app tracking (not just safari). I got the lifetime on it at a deep discount.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What’s wrong with Crystal? Is the only one I’ve ever had and seems to work fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chemmy posted:

My trade in got literally lost when I bought my 12 Pro and after some hemming and hawing they just gave me credit for it anyways. The tracking number said it was delivered to them.

They don’t care that much, it’ll be fine.

Mine is still listed as sitting in the UPS depot from the day I dropped it off (the 26th), but last week I got a confirmation from Apple.

Unclear if they actually received it or they're writing it off as stolen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dogen posted:

I haven’t used wipr but I think 1Blocker works at a lower level and is more configurable if that matters to anyone- blocks in app tracking (not just safari). I got the lifetime on it at a deep discount.

I’d pay for anything to specifically block army ads on social media apps. Those “what could you do with 40k” and “get an education without crippling student loans” ads make me angry.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Skeezy posted:

American McGay posted:

Yeah I’ve used Wipr for a couple years now and you don’t even notice it at all, that’s how good it is. Also seems to have been one step ahead of all the YouTube changes over the years, let’s hope that holds up.

serebralassazin posted:

Also been using Wipr for years. It's very set it and forget it.
I've been using 1Blocker Legacy since they introduced extensions but it doesn't work well (anymore). I guess with positive goon ratings, $2 is worth a try for Wipr.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Any thoughts on Adguard for iOS? I have Adguard Home setup on my NAS but there was a lifetime subscription sale a bit ago for the app that I jumped on after using Purity forever.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
1blocker is pretty good as well. I don't know about their new subscription stuff though. I tried it out a long time ago on sale so I think I'm grandfathered in. It can be aggressive and break sites like shopping sites in my experience. If you like customization 1blocker definitely is good for that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been having a persistent problem and finally remembered to ask here about it: I have a couple of HomePod minis at home (bedroom and living room). When I take my shower in the morning I have my iPhone in the bathroom and sometimes when coming out of the shower I'll ask Siri to do something like tell me today's forecast or to read a message that came while I was in the shower. Every time I do this by voice as opposed to holding the button to bring Siri up on my phone, the answer is given to me from one of the two HomePods instead of from my iPhone, making it useless to me. How to I change this behavior so if I ask my iPhone a Siri request it defaults to the phone itself?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've been having a persistent problem and finally remembered to ask here about it: I have a couple of HomePod minis at home (bedroom and living room). When I take my shower in the morning I have my iPhone in the bathroom and sometimes when coming out of the shower I'll ask Siri to do something like tell me today's forecast or to read a message that came while I was in the shower. Every time I do this by voice as opposed to holding the button to bring Siri up on my phone, the answer is given to me from one of the two HomePods instead of from my iPhone, making it useless to me. How to I change this behavior so if I ask my iPhone a Siri request it defaults to the phone itself?

I think if you're in earshot of the home pods it'll always default to them. The way to change the behaviour is to use the button on your phone - sorry. Or maybe you can ask more quietly so only your phone hears it?

But also Siri is far and away the jankiest part of an otherwise slick ecosystem. There are tons of times where I'll ask Siri on my phone something, and I'll get a response from both my phone, and my laptop, and maybe my watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The worst is when you ask Siri a question and she says ask again from your phone lol