Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

also "we are contracting ourselves to justice. though some of us may die and lose our bodies, ultimately we will right the world's wrongs" is uh very tonally different from we are contracting to the fire devil and creating an uncontrollable conflagration that will ignite the world once it reaches critical mass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jerkface posted:

I think there's a few things:

Obviously because the manga is about and features many devil's, hiding the true devil is just part of the fun. There are reasons to do this outside of just being pointless sleight of hand though. It sets the readers expectation and then subverts them. It can recontextualize how we have viewed the earlier effects of the contracted and their powers. It lets us find out there's a devil namer. Its a twist in the motivations of this faction and the people contacted to it. It shows some of the character behind the cult and it's leaders. They could have just said it all at the beginning (we're telling them it's justice but it's really fire) but it's better if the reader is led to believe that all these yokels think they're out for justice when the twist is they were all manipulated from the start. I didn't look at this as some omg big devil reveal but more a reveal and the motivations and traits of a primary antagonist group.

That's fair. It certainly puts Yuko's sudden need to punish people she considered against justice in a different light although I'm not entirely sure how yet.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 18, 2023

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
also the reveal that the Fire Devil has this completely bananas power to turn people into chainsawman zombies ties back to one of the undercurrents in the narrative, which is that the more primal a fear is, the more it warps reality in some way. Since the goal is to power up Chainsawman until he's strong enough to beat Death, revealing that Fire has this absolutely crazy fire-adjacent power is foreshadowing that we might start running into the "Chainsawman can eat concepts" power that was teased so many chapters ago

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chiasaur11 posted:

Minor detail this chapter, compared to the main events, but with the timeline update, we now know Denji's eighteen, and had his birthday before the theater date.

Fumiko Mifune Innocent

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’m guessing they’re betting that chainsaw man aka pochita getting way stronger will overwhelm and overtake Denji. Like how control got full chainsaw man to come back through emotional manipulation, but different. Then chainsaw man… eats death?

then Fami has an army of starving slaves to make her food who can’t die???

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cephas posted:

also the reveal that the Fire Devil has this completely bananas power to turn people into chainsawman zombies ties back to one of the undercurrents in the narrative, which is that the more primal a fear is, the more it warps reality in some way. Since the goal is to power up Chainsawman until he's strong enough to beat Death, revealing that Fire has this absolutely crazy fire-adjacent power is foreshadowing that we might start running into the "Chainsawman can eat concepts" power that was teased so many chapters ago

Imagine how hosed up it would be if Chainsaw Man ate fire. I have no idea how the world would adjust to such a monumental change.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
considering how Fire Punch ended. there's so much runway for poo poo to go down. fighting death feels like endgame but being able to eat concepts opens a whole can of worms

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 18, 2023

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
"The more contractors, the stronger their power" makes made me think of a fire spreading out of control because it was given too much fuel. Most Devils are good at making a bad situation even worse, but I think the Fire Devil is, like, really, really good at it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Supersonic Shine posted:

"The more contractors, the stronger their power" makes made me think of a fire spreading out of control because it was given too much fuel. Most Devils are good at making a bad situation even worse, but I think the Fire Devil is, like, really, really good at it.

This was more or less my immediate thought; these fools have no idea what they've set in motion. Folks always think they've got one up on the Devils and its rarely the case that's true. It's just often also true that the devils are dumbshits who don't understand people well enough to truly maximize their plans.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Going back to the previous chapters with the real Justice Devil and it is pretty funny how the subtle details were all there. It has no eyes and is therefore blind like justice, it could turn its hand into a big hammer like a gavel, and it has one of those weird neck ties that Japanese judges like to wear that looks kinda like a bib.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man part 1 showed what an intense general disdain fujimoto had for the yakuza, i guess in part 2 is going to be the moonies

The who?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The unification church, a quasi-Christian new religion cult that’s been in the news lately cause the last prime minister of Japan got assassinated for having heavy ties with them. The nickname comes from their leader, sun myung “reverend” moon.

The chainsaw church very clearly takes a lot of imagery from the New Religion movement of the 90s a la aum shinrikyo, but the last couple chapters have made it clear they’re a riff on the moonies specifically, since the mass marriage ceremonies are kind of a thing with them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 18, 2023

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
As the final boss of the hit N64 game Mischief Makers said: "Though fire, justice is served!"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
You know, Pochita eating death as a concept circles back to a lot of bog standard concepts.

A bigwig doesnt want to die, so they do zany, despicable poo poo to avoid death.

But this time it's using a beagle with a funny nose to do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Donkringel posted:

You know, Pochita eating death as a concept circles back to a lot of bog standard concepts.

A bigwig doesnt want to die, so they do zany, despicable poo poo to avoid death.

But this time it's using a beagle with a funny nose to do it.

I think this actually would come back to something from much earlier in the series, where Denji made his Perpetual Motion Machine out of the Eternity Devil. (And indeed a good chunk of the series in general.) Not being able to die doesn't spare you from pain or injury, and the ED was literally begging for Death as his only release from Chainsawing.

If anything I would say destroying Death as a concept would have everything infinitely more loving terrifying because it would remove the only true was to escape from some of the hellish horrors of the Chainsaw Man world. Leaving everyone trapped in an eternal meatgrinder with no possible escape would genuinely be a fate worse than Death considering what we know of how the universe functions.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
well, people would also forget they could ever die, so some of the existential horror wouldn’t exist either. Eternal torturous hell would be considered business as usual.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

yum posted:

well, people would also forget they could ever die, so some of the existential horror wouldn’t exist either. Eternal torturous hell would be considered business as usual.

Ugh I got disemboweled three times getting my mail this morning, what a drag.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

ImpAtom posted:

If anything I would say destroying Death as a concept would have everything infinitely more loving terrifying because it would remove the only true was to escape from some of the hellish horrors of the Chainsaw Man world. Leaving everyone trapped in an eternal meatgrinder with no possible escape would genuinely be a fate worse than Death considering what we know of how the universe functions.
Ah, so this is how Chainsaw Man segues into Immortal Hounds! In Immortal Hounds, any fatal injury heals instantly, so vending machines sell medicinal handguns for the treatment of hangovers, cramps etc. Death cures all.

The only way anyone can die before the age of sixty ( when everyone keels over, no questions asked ) is to fall in love with someone with Resurrection Deficiency Syndrome. It's a romcom between an assassin and the detective she's targeting.

( it's not a good manga, but it's mostly fun pulp! )

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I haven't thought of that series in a whiiiiile.

I remember it having a fascinating setting and incredible action and art, but also being incredibly uncomfortable to read at times and being insanely cruel and brutal basically nonstop

I never finished it, dropped off around the time they raided some facility and it went real bad.is it worth finishing?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 19, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I haven't thought of that series in a whiiiiile.

I remember it having a fascinating setting and incredible action and art, but also being incredibly uncomfortable to read at times and being insanely cruel and brutal basically nonstop

I never finished it, dropped off around the time they raided some facility and it went real bad.is it worth finishing?

Not really, unfortunately. Great concept, great start, slow tumble into general misanthropy. I think the genius of Chainsaw Man is that the characters stay relatively grounded and likeable despite the complete insanity of their universe.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jerkface posted:

I think there's a few things:

It lets us find out there's a devil namer.

I guess he loving sucks at his job

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

yum posted:

Eternal torturous hell would be considered business as usual.
already is!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

ImpAtom posted:

I think this actually would come back to something from much earlier in the series, where Denji made his Perpetual Motion Machine out of the Eternity Devil. (And indeed a good chunk of the series in general.) Not being able to die doesn't spare you from pain or injury, and the ED was literally begging for Death as his only release from Chainsawing.

Remember also that, besides death, there used to be three other things that could happen to you at the end of your life, before Chainsaw Man ate them. Imagine that someone destroys three of the tunnels that lead out of a cave, and then a group of people empower him to destroy the last one while everyone is still inside.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

MachuPikacchu posted:

Remember also that, besides death, there used to be three other things that could happen to you at the end of your life, before Chainsaw Man ate them. Imagine that someone destroys three of the tunnels that lead out of a cave, and then a group of people empower him to destroy the last one while everyone is still inside.

maybe we end up with the rave scene from Matrix: Reloaded

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Chainsaw Man confirmed as a prequel to Cruelty Squad.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
We all know how the whole "there is this one incredibly powerful Devil you have to kill, Denji" thing ended up with Gun Devil, so I don't believe even for a second that Death is the final boss.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
the final boss is God, and Denji must eat him

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Siliziumleben posted:

the final boss is God, and Denji must eat him

A Boy and His God

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

goblin week posted:

I guess he loving sucks at his job

i was laughing about this too, but going back to last chapter the name consultant seems to be correct he's just saying the devil denji killed a while back was the justice devil. it's just the first time i think we're explicitly asked the question "well how are all of these people still contracted with a dead devil?" which was then answered this week.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

stuker posted:

i was laughing about this too, but going back to last chapter the name consultant seems to be correct he's just saying the devil denji killed a while back was the justice devil. it's just the first time i think we're explicitly asked the question "well how are all of these people still contracted with a dead devil?" which was then answered this week.

Falling killed the Justice Devil not Denji. People then realized the Justice Devil had never bee The one making deals

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
denji should just track down the Devil Devil and eat it

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Eternity Devil would thrive from the erasure of the Death Devil.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rid us of eternity as well chainsaw man, then what will happen? Nobody knows.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kwyndig posted:

Rid us of eternity as well chainsaw man, then what will happen? Nobody knows.

Groundhog day forever

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Farg posted:

denji should just track down the Devil Devil and eat it

That might kill Nayuta, though. And Nayuta comes first.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Halloween!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Halloween?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Halloween!

ImpAtom