Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A little bit of Ianthe in our lives
Oh my god she gives me hives
A little bit of Gideon is what I need
She’ll pick me up and make me bleed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It's a necromantic empire tho, is it really mass murder if their bones are wandering around and their souls are maybe accessible in the sewage filled afterlife?

I think focusing on the team vs resurrection beasts went a long way towards making Jod seem not horrible, although they definitely repeatedly killed the should of planets more often than the good guys should.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

To steal a phrase from Picard, we have no punishment to fit his crimes. Obviously what he did is bad but who is qualified to do something about it? There’s no way to atone for it, and any punishment up to and including death is meaningless. The only thing fit to judge a man made god is whatever is rattling around in Alecto.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

imo it's not that he's charming, it's that he's good at seeming like a relatably ineffectual dork who is just in over his head with the whole God thing. He weaponizes Elder Millennial messiness as a mask and makes you go "wow what a sad disastrous little guy, being God must be really overwhelming" without realizing what a monster he is or how deeply in control he is of every bad thing.

You immediately realize he's bad, but you don't immediately realize in what way he is bad, or to what extent

Of course, he is still a deeply sad disastrous little guy, two things can be true at once etc

He's just a smol bean, how could it be his fault??

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's a necromantic empire tho, is it really mass murder if their bones are wandering around and their souls are maybe accessible in the sewage filled afterlife?

I think focusing on the team vs resurrection beasts went a long way towards making Jod seem not horrible, although they definitely repeatedly killed the should of planets more often than the good guys should.

I am gonna take the daring 'out there' step of saying that murdering any number of planets beyond 0 makes you evil on a level that language doesn't have words for

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I am gonna take the daring 'out there' step of saying that murdering any number of planets beyond 0 makes you evil on a level that language doesn't have words for

What if a planet has it coming? You haven't met some of these planets.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
What if the planet has bad vibes or is simply unpleasant to be around

mewse
May 2, 2006

wow can we please cool it with the planet blaming in this thread??

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Killing planets is a firebreak, though.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
are planets alive enough as we irl understand it to even be killed in any way that matters?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

IRL? no. In the Boniverse? yes.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I mean aside from Alecto do any of them have anything approaching human level intelligence? sometimes you have to cull birds to save the flock

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Saraiguma posted:

I mean aside from Alecto do any of them have anything approaching human level intelligence? sometimes you have to cull birds to save the flock

Varun, so...yes, I think so, at least after death they do.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah if they were 100% guaranteed to get et by a Resurrection Beast, that complicates matters. John's culpability in the Beasts' routes aside.

Also, whatever is deeply wrong with the River is presumably at least partly his fault, so.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

We were warned it was a brown sullen god.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

sebmojo posted:

1 planet is a tragedy, a million is a statistic

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saraiguma posted:

"The planets dying Saraiguma!"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

The planets Harrow and Ianthe kill near the Mithraeum were a firebreak, sure, but the empire does fully kill regular planets when they conquer the human colonies on them, it's necessary for necromancy to work and is the core function of the Cohort

Read Aim talking about what happened to their home planet, which had nothing to do with any beast so far as we know

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Also, even if killing planets is necessary to slow down the Beasts, John is still directly responsible for them. It’s emblematic of his tendency to double down rather than ever admit that he might be wrong about anything or that his first instinct was ultimately damaging.

John is only superficially charming. He’s a very unpleasant person even setting aside his culpability in the end of the world and the actions of the Nine Houses under his leadership. If the necromancy thing had never happened to him, he’d be that person in your friend group who rubs you the wrong way even though he never says anything really awful, and when you find out later he was in an abusive relationship you’re not really that surprised.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

sebmojo posted:

The population of Pluto has skyrocketed since it became a necromantic husk of a world tho

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Necromancy kills a lot of planets but it also helps people farm on Pluto so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Weyulll if you ask local people outside your ivory tower you'll find the Crypt of the Ashen Skull has brought a lot of jobs to the town

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"
We're reporting live from a small Diner on Uranus, talking to blue-collar skeletons who work the fields to provide the paste for the Eighth House, and asking whether they support the Necrolord Prime! We're hearing they fully support him to the extent we can get any sort of communicative response... And we've just learned that their mere existence is assumed to be 100% in support of Jod, without whom they wouldn't be animated, so we're breaking the news that there is 100% support for him here on the ground. Back to you in the studio!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bravesword posted:

John is only superficially charming. He’s a very unpleasant person even setting aside his culpability in the end of the world and the actions of the Nine Houses under his leadership. If the necromancy thing had never happened to him, he’d be that person in your friend group who rubs you the wrong way even though he never says anything really awful, and when you find out later he was in an abusive relationship you’re not really that surprised.

Yeah to get to any sort of idea that John isn't terrible, you have to gloss over the fact that before he resurrected his friends and put them on the path to lictorhood, he tinkered with their memories and made them love him unconditionally. And then lied about having to kill someone that matters intensely to you in order to ascend.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zierham posted:

We're reporting live from a small Diner on Uranus, talking to blue-collar skeletons who work the fields to provide the paste for the Eighth House, and asking whether they support the Necrolord Prime! We're hearing they fully support him to the extent we can get any sort of communicative response... And we've just learned that their mere existence is assumed to be 100% in support of Jod, without whom they wouldn't be animated, so we're breaking the news that there is 100% support for him here on the ground. Back to you in the studio!

It's like Starship Troopers but the bugs are just ordinary humans

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah to get to any sort of idea that John isn't terrible, you have to gloss over the fact that before he resurrected his friends and put them on the path to lictorhood, he tinkered with their memories and made them love him unconditionally. And then lied about having to kill someone that matters intensely to you in order to ascend.

A lot of that comes out after we get first impressions of him as someone actually caring and supportive toward Harrow, and with a mix of self-deprecating humor and faint exasperation about actually being in the god-king position. And first impressions actually can be really powerful, so of course that colors people's views of him even knowing more of what a monster and a fake he is. Especially since GtN gets the reader over the hurdle of normalizing this weird and gross society with weird and gross magic underpinning it, by making a lot of the people we see involved with it just be people. It's extremely fair to be conflicted about John, to still kind of like or at least pity him a little even while learning to hate him, to hate what he's done and created.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

disposablewords posted:

A lot of that comes out after we get first impressions of him as someone actually caring and supportive toward Harrow, and with a mix of self-deprecating humor and faint exasperation about actually being in the god-king position. And first impressions actually can be really powerful, so of course that colors people's views of him even knowing more of what a monster and a fake he is. Especially since GtN gets the reader over the hurdle of normalizing this weird and gross society with weird and gross magic underpinning it, by making a lot of the people we see involved with it just be people. It's extremely fair to be conflicted about John, to still kind of like or at least pity him a little even while learning to hate him, to hate what he's done and created.

I maintain that virtually everyone, if granted his power, would gently caress it up in a variety of ways which are all essentially the same ways. This is just three-wishes stuff, the entire point of the fable is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I don't pity him but I do understand him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

disposablewords posted:

oh completely, that's why he's such a great character

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
To Jod's claim that he is necessary to keep the sun burning, I say that he can do that job just fine from inside said sun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

This feels relevant to this thread

https://www.theonion.com/report-free-dead-bodies-buried-underground-seemingly-f-1850942454

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ugh again with the bones you sour old hag

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR4flwAC7gg

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I had that album, it was a double CD

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just checked, and the ebook version of Nona the Ninth has been updated to include The Unwanted Guest, if anybody was waiting for it.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Rand Brittain posted:

Just checked, and the ebook version of Nona the Ninth has been updated to include The Unwanted Guest, if anybody was waiting for it.

Nice! Thanks for the update. Do ebooks ever retroactively update with new content, or only in the bad way? Gotta figure out if I have to repurchase it or what. Though I guess I can just go get the pdf everyone else already read.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

bitprophet posted:

Nice! Thanks for the update. Do ebooks ever retroactively update with new content, or only in the bad way? Gotta figure out if I have to repurchase it or what. Though I guess I can just go get the pdf everyone else already read.

You don't have to repurchase this one, just download it again, at least as an EPUB.

Most publishers don't bother to re-issue ebooks with new content or error-fixes, and in part this is probably because some stores may not support it and Amazon in particular actively makes it a pain to do so. But Tor, as usual, is built different.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Hrm. How do I get kindle to download the new version? Or do you mean in some other store/etc?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

When a Kindle comic book has an update, you have to find the Update Available notice under Content and Devices on the Amazon web store, and once you hit that, the update will sync.

Beyond that I do not know.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I deleted my Kindle-format Nona off my Kindle app and redownloaded it. Worked the first time on my phone, had to do it a couple times on my iPad.

You’ll want to look for the ToC to grow a new chapter heading near the end after Acknowledgements, titled “Read on for a new, original story from the Locked Tomb universe”.

The short story was, of course, extremely good. For other new readers of it, go back to thread-page 76 for the start of people writing spoiler tags about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Lol put that way you gotta wonder whether the whole "kill your best friend to ascend for me" thing was basically just cult programming.