Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I love Heather's very distant relationship with her child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow Dream Child might have the only decent dad in the entire series.
The lovely and alcoholic parents in the first one were some of my favorite parts.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it was funny when I found out the beautiful pageant girl from NOES5 was in Twin Peaks but I couldn’t puzzle out where or when—it’s because she was the actress on Invitation to Love

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

I was walking downtown in Austin getting ready for formula 1 this weekend when I see Texas Chainsaw Massacre playing at the paramount theatre.

step closer to check showtimes, find out it's about to begin, and get two free tickets.

don't mind if I do!

fun postscript to this, the next day I messaged a girl I'd recently matched with on a dating app to tell her about my good fortune and she said: "enjoying a movie like that is a serious red flag. I don't want to meet you anymore."

it's too bad cause otherwise she seemed cool and thus far was the first dating prospect I'd had who was wiki-worthy, but judging someone on the art the enjoy is enough of a red flag for me that it's for the best.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

fun postscript to this, the next day I messaged a girl I'd recently matched with on a dating app to tell her about my good fortune and she said: "enjoying a movie like that is a serious red flag. I don't want to meet you anymore."

it's too bad cause otherwise she seemed cool and thus far was the first dating prospect I'd had who was wiki-worthy, but judging someone on the art the enjoy is enough of a red flag for me that it's for the best.

Yeah, you got lucky by finding out this about her early on.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

If someone said they loved the Terrifier series or Gaspar Noe was their favorite director of all time, or like, Man Bites Dog was their favorite film, honestly I would think that's a red flag. Like a tiny one that still means something.
Not saying anything about you, just saying there is a limit to the logic. Like, if your favorite films are Salo, Angst, and Audition, you're probably hosed UP.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

nah

Like there's a million fallacies in that argument anyway but if you were going to pick one Miike film you pick Audition instead of, like, Visitor Q??

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't necessarily judge the creation of films like Singapore Sling, 120 Days of Sodom, A Serbian Film, et al but I've never been recommended them by people who I'd feel comfortable being asleep around

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
are we just completely disregarding the idea that the art you enjoy and media you consume also leaks back into you to some degree?

Yeah I'd be totally chill about dating someone whose favorite films were like, I Stand Alone, Irreversible, and Man Bites Dog, lmao

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

You're in the horror thread.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

but if you were going to pick one Miike film you pick Audition instead of, like, Visitor Q??
that's fair

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You're in the horror thread.
So? "Horror" means a lot of things, and a lot of different boundaries.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Audition is a first date movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
so like, if your favorite films demonstrate comfort with like...graphic rape or horror that involves sexual assault, that says nothing about you as a human being? I'm not saying it's an absolute truth, but it's enough of a probability when you're like, let's say, trying to date a white dude or something.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What makes a dating prospect wiki-worthy btw I keep reading that sentence and it doesn't make sense

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MacheteZombie posted:

Audition is a first date movie

I can fix Asami

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Pink Flamingos is a first date movie

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

John Waters rules

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Doltos posted:

I can fix Asami
just wanted to say, the novel is fantastic, major recommend. Ryu Murakami, the forgotten second Murakami. lotta hilarious foreshadowing.

quote:

Time seemed to be flying by at many times its normal speed, and then again it seemed to have stopped completely. She slid her hand inside his shirt and explored the skin of his chest with plaintive, quivering fingertips, like a blind person reading a long-awaited letter. Her touch was like a gleaming scalpel slicing open his breast, and then again like the miraculous, gentle touch of a healer. He couldn’t distinguish the border between his body and the outside world and was aware only of the points where her fingertips touched his skin, and of the hitherto unimaginable sensations emanating from those points. Her fingertips were like ice, and then again like molten lava. He found himself standing between the two beds with his sweater in his hands but no memory of having stood up or removed it. His shirt was completely unbuttoned, exposing his chest and stomach. Yamasaki Asami undid his belt, then plucked gently at his zip and slowly pulled it down, like a surgeon opening an incision.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

John Waters rules
amen. his classics are classic but also too many people sleep on Cecil B. Demented. maybe not anymore?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
media def can be red flags. like the time you are in that romantic getting to know someone period and the lady starts telling you how her favorite move is the danish girl in a way that feels performative (also you are trans)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If someone said they loved the Terrifier series or Gaspar Noe was their favorite director of all time, or like, Man Bites Dog was their favorite film, honestly I would think that's a red flag. Like a tiny one that still means something.
Not saying anything about you, just saying there is a limit to the logic. Like, if your favorite films are Salo, Angst, and Audition, you're probably hosed UP.

Get over it lmao

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Get over it lmao
I'm just loving with you, I'll watch the clown torture killing women movie some day.
I posted that as someone whose favorite director was Gaspar Noe (when I was 17 but still).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Some girl was very forcefully making out with me once and I was not exactly ok with it and voiced my hesitancy but she wasn't really hearing it, so I was letting it ride for a bit until she told me Adam Sandler comedies were her favorite movies and I shut that poo poo down fast

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My only red flag horror is if someone only likes pg13 slashers from the early 2000’s.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If someone’s favorite movie is ET The Extra Terrestrial I judge them harshly or they eat It’s A Wonderful Life is a beautiful movie.

Harshly judged.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adam Green director of hatchet’s favorite movie is ET

Honestly ET ain’t too bad. It’s not the Berg’s best alien flick

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Toni Collette is absolutely capable of subtlety as well but those scenes in Hereditary are absolutely not asking for it. She is going through some pretty loving horrific stuff in that movie such that it's hard to call anything an overreaction

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also Collette is tired of looking in this thread and seeing that loving FACE ON YOUR FACE! :argh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dream Child was fine. Yeah it was kinda boring at times but it had some decent scenes, some silly fun, just needed to get cut down. Freddy on a skateboard in a comic book put a smile on my face. I liked the kid becoming dream Punisher, characters trying to use dream logic against Freddy is always fun. Definitely one of the lesser NOES though yeah.
I feel like NOES as a series at least lends itself to some extra creativity what with the idea of dream sequences, and even when that isn't executed they still at least have some interesting/fun practical effects. Like it all interests me more than any of the Guy With a Knife series (but tbf I haven't watched much of those). Even in Dream Child, the kid's death as a comic book character is more verve and creativity than I might expect watching some random horror movie.
Put "FASTER THAN A BASTARD MANIAC! MORE POWERFUL THAN A LOCO MADMAN!" on my tombstone.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Speaking of people who get off on torture...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Someone on the forums linked to a youtuber going to McKamey manor, which turned into an ongoing series. Interesting if you can stomach the youtuber. long story short, the manor itself is compete bullshit and doesn't actually exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mjwoLYGr0
This post is from a month ago, but the story has WILDLY escalated since then. Summary to save you hours of watching Youtuber bros:

quote:

•The original Manor in California was originally a regular-rear end haunted house attraction, until Russ McKamey decided to go the extreme route for attention. But Russ and his staff repeatedly went way too far; brutally injured and abused customers, ignored safe words, violated all sorts of safety regulations and health codes. The haunt community hates him, even the extreme haunt crowd. He avoided charges because waivers included gag orders & lawsuit threats, and he used his online cult following to discredit, doxx, and threaten anyone who said negative things. All of his staff left him, and his wife divorced him but kept most of the props since she paid for them.

•He kept falsely advertising the Manor in Tennessee using the extreme reputation and claiming it had activities his property couldn't possibly accommodate. In reality, people show up for a "boot camp" to make sure they can handle it, but it's literally impossible to complete; Russ fails people for any arbitrary reason, so nobody ever gets into the Manor, which doesn't exist.

•Youtuber Reckless Ben (known for infiltrating and exposing cults) went in, but Russ made excuses for why he had to stop, like his camera battery dying. Danny Berk (known for Jackass-style pain stunts) was too enthusiastic. Russ stopped another guy because he simply gave up trying to break him. Ben got around the gag order lawsuit by changing the waiver before sending it back, which Russ signed without reading. He also changed it to say he wouldn't escalate if Russ went out for pizza with them, which Russ refused. His supposed legal staff called and threatened them, but no lawsuit ever actually happened.

•In a very John Oliver-esque stunt, Ben found out the copyright for McKamey Manor was suspended in 2015, so he bought it, and now owns the trademark. When Russ called the police to get them off his property, Ben was able to challenge them by saying it was his company now and showed the cops real IRS documentation. Russ finally took a video of himself eating pizza just to make them go away, which Ben and his crew took as a symbolic victory. This helped a lot of people who had been too scared to come out about their experiences finally start talking.

•Victims came forward and said the testimony videos used to promote the Manor were heavily coerced and scripted, and were taken immediately after being traumatized and tortured for hours. His ex-wife and several ex-girlfriends also accused him of grooming troubled young female customers who he'd hire to his staff and start relationships with them. All of them say he has sexual fantasies about kids. His now adult daughter briefly came out about her abuse and trauma, but abruptly recanted her story after Russ's online minions came after her.

•Ben uncovered a smoking gun: The main reason Russ couldn't be charged is because he heavily edited all his content, but at some point he lost a hard drive with all the raw footage. Ben did an incredible amount of investigative work to track it down. One of Russ's old film crew had it, but it was damaged. Someone else made a copy, but was too afraid to come forward because they'd already ruined his life. Ben finally got the drive, and found some really disturbing poo poo like Russ chaining a guy by his ankles and dragging him down a gravel road behind a truck.

They're currently deciding what to do with the footage, but several people have copies now. I'm sure there are legal hurdles, especially if victims don't want to be named, but they may just be able to send a copy to the police.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 22, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also I will say I've found some great 80s bangers in even the "bad" NOES movies. Worth it.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

im more icked out by the legions of people who love The Office to the point they made it their whole personality than horror people, I think

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bonk posted:

Speaking of people who get off on torture...

This post is from a month ago, but the story has WILDLY escalated since then. Summary to save you hours of watching Youtuber bros:

They're currently deciding what to do with the footage, but several people have copies now. I'm sure there are legal hurdles, especially if victims don't want to be named, but they may just be able to send a copy to the police.

Thank you for this, im already hooked on the videos. I’ve always hated this fuckin jabroni so it’s fun seeing him get hosed by this guy lmao

grobbo
May 29, 2014
As Tom Cardy and Montaigne already argued in their tour de force 'Red Flags (The Human Centipede Song)', every total freak with terrifying taste in movies deserves to find love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFokXnCCMf8

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That mckemny manor YouTube final video is so loving good man. It’s pure stupid insanity.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

CelticPredator posted:

That mckemny manor YouTube final video is so loving good man. It’s pure stupid insanity.
It felt like an old internet prank from the 2000s with stuff like the smoke under the car and the multiple deliveries. I love how Reckless Ben got some of the staff to turn against Russ too.

Is the Hulu doc any good, or does it try to cast Russ in a positive light?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

MrMojok posted:

Also Collette is tired of looking in this thread and seeing that loving FACE ON YOUR FACE! :argh:

I keep meaning to use this line the next time I'm insanely rambling and going off on someone in an argument.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think that what people typically call overacting is, especially in horror movies, really fun and good

Edit - I also hate red flag discussion because people have red flagged me for the dumbest poo poo (I don't like most comic book movies)

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 22, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's annoying is that I think Doltos is near to a reasonable point. Porbably the major thing I don't like about Hereditary and Misommar is how they try to steamroller you with grief. The very emotive performances are certainly a part of that thing which I didn't like, but that doesn't mean they're in any way bad performances.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
People don't do *quite* as much screaming in real life as they do in horror movies, but it would be immersion-breaking if someone in a movie reacted in a less visible/instantly recognizable way. Weirdly, a more diverse and realistic presentation of people reacting to pain/shock/fear etc would probably come off as 'fake' because it would seem so different from what cinema has trained us to expect. Being slightly less realistic is a lesser sin compared to taking the audience out of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

so like, if your favorite films demonstrate comfort with like...graphic rape or horror that involves sexual assault, that says nothing about you as a human being? I'm not saying it's an absolute truth, but it's enough of a probability when you're like, let's say, trying to date a white dude or something.

I only date guys who only watch the Love Live movies, because that shows they respect women and women's dreams.

Snooze Cruise posted:

media def can be red flags. like the time you are in that romantic getting to know someone period and the lady starts telling you how her favorite move is the danish girl in a way that feels performative (also you are trans)

lol at the trans version of "I would've voted for Obama a third time"