Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I remember seeing his jeans pulled down

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I swear I've seen this before too.

I'll be damned, apparently I made two of these images... here's the other one:

I'm proud of this thread for remembering the Blair Witch rear end so accurately.

e: fuckin' ACE page snipe, boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, it's a bit of a cliche to say, but if you slapped the A24 ident before it, that'd do a surprising amount of heavy lifting to legitimize it.

So what I'm saying is: A24, give Bobby Z enough money to make a movie.

Right now it feels like it's either A24 or Blumhouse doing all the funding for random ideas. All the bigger studios are doing pretty tame sequels to like the Nun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm proud of this thread for remembering the Blair Witch rear end so accurately.

New page start fresh

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Pumpkinhead chat brings to mind the somewhat slept-on Scarecrows (1988). I'm not sure *why* Pumpkinhead brings it to mind for me. But anyway, Scarecrows is another one that's by no means good yet still kicks rear end in terms of entertainment value. To its credit, it lives up to its title and delivers scarecrows. Unlike Pumpkinhead, which delivers no pumpkinheads.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096046/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_scarecrows

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I genuinely really enjoy the fact that Stan Winston and team were handed the rights to a 16-line children's poem and a name, and were expected to make up a concept and story around that.

And then they said, "no, gently caress it, we're not giving him a pumpkin for a head even though that's the only thing we know about him. Pumpkinhead is in fact the lovechild of a xenomorph and Rawhead Rex."

The inexplicable disconnect between the name, the poem, and the final concept help to give the movie a rambling, shaggy-dog, 'your gran is telling this story and making it up as she goes along' folk-tale vibe.

Poem's good, too.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 22, 2023

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Danknificent posted:

Pumpkinhead chat brings to mind the somewhat slept-on Scarecrows (1988). I'm not sure *why* Pumpkinhead brings it to mind for me. But anyway, Scarecrows is another one that's by no means good yet still kicks rear end in terms of entertainment value. To its credit, it lives up to its title and delivers scarecrows. Unlike Pumpkinhead, which delivers no pumpkinheads.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096046/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_scarecrows

I really like this one (the uncut version, at least). Feels like a true indie that punches above its weight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

I got it not knowing it was French and was pretty upset when I found out but powered through anyway and ended up liking it a lot

I was thinking how funny it would be if anyone attempted an American remake. I can't imagine they'd keep some stuff, but on the other hand, it would be a drastically different movie with anything changed or removed.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The horror was this thread all along.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm watching Pumpkinhead right now. I actually think this is the only film Stan Winston directed? Possibly his only directorial effort.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

I was thinking how funny it would be if anyone attempted an American remake. I can't imagine they'd keep some stuff, but on the other hand, it would be a drastically different movie with anything changed or removed.

An American Knife + Heart remake that somehow came out in 2003, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I appreciate that they spend a good amount of time on just Lance and his son in Pumpkinhead.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's my favorite part of the movie. It's very well-done.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Crescent Wrench posted:

As in many things, who can top Bong Joon-ho in this matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7dPXjZJC0

the drop kick just gets me every time

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Browsing the LC brought me here. Are y'all recommending horror movies?

Try Savageland. It's a low budget horror with elements of found footage (more like found camera negatives) and it's set on the US/Mexico border. Something horrific happens and the only witness is a Mexican man who is also an amatuer photographer.

The message isn't subtle - all the blame for the tragedy is loaded onto the witness while the towns ignorant authorities fail to realise something more sinister is happening.

You can find the entire film on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYSHM47x_M

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks for recommending From Beyond, by the way. Hell of a creature feature, the goop effects just continue escalating. And I won't soon get Ken Foree's package in an orange speedo out of my head.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why do people keep wanting to play heels itt

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I like Pumpkinhead, but I feel like it was a very low-effort script with maximum effort performances and production.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Danknificent posted:

I like Pumpkinhead, but I feel like it was a very low-effort script with maximum effort performances and production.

Good way of putting it. Love the setting, love the first half of the movie, but it loses me hard and I think that's why - it just doesn't have much substance, or enough fun to make up for it. The monster looks great though and the Southern Gothic vibes are very cool.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Thanks for recommending From Beyond, by the way. Hell of a creature feature, the goop effects just continue escalating. And I won't soon get Ken Foree's package in an orange speedo out of my head.

Lol hell yeah

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

davidspackage posted:

From Beyond rules, just a goopy and incredibly horny time. Just in case you haven't seen Re-Animator, it's considered the sister movie to From Beyond, made the year before by the same director and basically the same cast and it's just as good (I can never decide which one I like more).

Danknificent posted:

Just watched it cuz people in here were talking about it and drat that's a fun movie. Lance Henrikson just gives 110%.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dude hit whips and leather and was just like THIS IS THE KINKIEST HUMANS CAN GET. There can be no other greater pleasures to explore! TIME TO REACH OUT AND gently caress THE VOID.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I have for years sought out trying to figure out just what the gently caress they made with the dumpling dish in that movie. Never been successful. If anyone has any idea what exactly he made in From Beyond let me know.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

I have for years sought out trying to figure out just what the gently caress they made with the dumpling dish in that movie. Never been successful. If anyone has any idea what exactly he made in From Beyond let me know.

It's suet dumplings. I thought we talked about this in the thread, but that might have been the physical media thread

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk if I’d call Pumpkinhead a low effort script. Just a first time script from someone who’s main job wasn’t writing. It’s still an iconic and fun story though

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m always like “isn’t Pumpkinhead a Christ figure?” and then I realize I’m thinking of the XTC song

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He is in Pumpkinhead 2 blood wings

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just about every movie made by an sfx guy has that same weakness. They got the props, fx, and art design down, but the story is usually in service of those instead of the other way around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t see the issue if you’re coming for the effects

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The script for Pumpkinhead is totally fine too. I've watched movies even this month that have much worse writing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The script for Pumpkinhead is totally fine too. I've watched movies even this month that have much worse writing.

For real. I love the setting and characters. I can’t think of many other films that evoke the same vibes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bonk posted:

Speaking of people who get off on torture...

This post is from a month ago, but the story has WILDLY escalated since then. Summary to save you hours of watching Youtuber bros:

They're currently deciding what to do with the footage, but several people have copies now. I'm sure there are legal hurdles, especially if victims don't want to be named, but they may just be able to send a copy to the police.

I watched the hulu documentary and it sucked, I'd recommend reading this post and watching the videos linked instead

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

thank you lmao, this is the art i knew and loved

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got a new buddy

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Scream chat: can’t find a YouTube of it but Joe Browns scream in A Comedy of Terrors is an all timer. it’s on prime and probably free in a billion other places. throw it on to give your SO a break from all the heavy poo poo you’ve been making them watch all month. Vincent price, peter Lorre in what I believe is his last film role, basil rathbone, all at their emoting finest. god I wish I talked like Vincent price.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Quatermass and The Pit and it is extremely chill and cozy. Its definitely cozy horror.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I started watching Hell House thinking I could use it for the Samhain challenge, but then it turns it all goes down on October 9th. What a ripoff!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Lmao that you made the drat thing and forgot about it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I started watching Hell House thinking I could use it for the Samhain challenge, but then it turns it all goes down on October 9th. What a ripoff!

Haunted house attraction in October but not actually on Halloween? I’d say it counts!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

As far as I'm concerned if you suffer through Hell House you can scratch off any spooky bingo square you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Spookas, I need an opinion. I'm making title cards for my Plex collection of Creepshow (the TV series), and I'm wondering what you prefer, style A (with the comic titles) or style B (with a memorable visual from the episode)?