Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ishin has no continuity with anything else. It's neither a good nor a bad choice to start with. If you want to start with it, go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ishin is a game about the bakumatsu and sakamoto ryoma, that just happens to cast all the roles with actors from the yakuza series and also make them look like their yakuza characters (kiryu is ryoma). thats a fun bonus for yakuza fans but, it doesn't tie into the other games at all

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Finished DIsgaea 7 today. Story wise its the third best game in the series, gameplay wise second best. Lots of nice little QoL features, but it appears that it came at the cost of a deeper post-game. Still fun though, would recommend (once its on sale, price is still a bit too steep IMO).

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Finished DIsgaea 7 today. Story wise its the third best game in the series, gameplay wise second best. Lots of nice little QoL features, but it appears that it came at the cost of a deeper post-game. Still fun though, would recommend (once its on sale, price is still a bit too steep IMO).

I lost interest in 6 early on because it felt like the addition of autobattle trivialized stages beyond positioning/elevation. Is 7 better about that in your opinion?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Arc Hammer posted:

It's raining outside and I don't wanna. I want to stay indoors and watch TV or play games while my clothes wash just downstairs.

i like going to the laundromat on rainy days and hanging out at a cafe

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

homeless snail posted:

ishin is a game about the bakumatsu and sakamoto ryoma, that just happens to cast all the roles with actors from the yakuza series and also make them look like their yakuza characters (kiryu is ryoma). thats a fun bonus for yakuza fans but, it doesn't tie into the other games at all

I think it's a cool revival of the "digital actor" concept, and hell I love Shinsengumi stories

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buschmaki posted:

i like going to the laundromat on rainy days and hanging out at a cafe

I did end up going outside and found a cafe that doubles as a laundromat in the back. good combination, IMO.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Meowywitch posted:

Also this may or may not be a logical question to ask here, but: if I've never played a Yakuza game before, would playing Ishin as my first be weird / not recommended?

Thank you for your responses.

shouldnt be any problem yeah. most of the yakuza spinoffs are separate from the main series and ishin is, even moreso, since it literally doesn't take place in the same time period

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

coolskull posted:

I lost interest in 6 early on because it felt like the addition of autobattle trivialized stages beyond positioning/elevation. Is 7 better about that in your opinion?

Autobattle is still there but its much less required than it was in 6. Its probably here to stay as a feature but it feels less, I dunno, intrusive?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah you can only auto battle cleared stages now and not IWV at all, and it requires a resource you get from manually clearing stages

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah you can only auto battle cleared stages now and not IWV at all, and it requires a resource you get from manually clearing stages

I think it strikes a good balance in this iteration. Im really enjoying the Item World revamp, especially since it was my least favourite part of character progression in past games.

e: Higan is also one of my favourite characters they have ever made for a Disgaea game. She rules.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Higan and Pirilika are excellent, Fuji is alright and Yeyasu is an impressively pathetic weenie. Where I'm up to Ceefor is the most kinda just there I guess but her doing lines of gunpowder is kinda funny I guess

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ceefor feels way more cookie cutter than the other characters I think is the issue. She isnt bad, she just doesnt stand out either. Yeyasu is the best weenie we've seen since Axel.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
begin with yakuza the zeroth

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

begin with yakuza the zeroth

yes. sometimes i watch the majima intro scene again just for myself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never had bubble tea is it any good what does it taste like? Tea leaves drowned in milk?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never had bubble tea is it any good what does it taste like? Tea leaves drowned in milk?

The typical milk tea + pearls version is a super sweet, sometimes only vaguely tea-tasting drink. Very rich and creamy. The pearls (or boba I don't know what you east coasters call it) are chewy little starch balls steeped in syrup.

It's very sweet. It's good, but I always routinely get 50% or even 30% sugar.

Don't look at how many calories one of these have.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

milk tea is just tea with a lot of milk and sugar added to it, and then you can add or not add tapioca balls to it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's one two blocks up the street from me and it's very popular with uni students so I've seen. Might have to try it some other day, then.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Try it now

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RuBisCO posted:

Try it now

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't think it's the best follow up to my "no soda for a week" milestone to immediately go out and grab a drink with even more sugar in it. Maybe later as a treat, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gotta do it before the boba fad ends

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

homeless snail posted:

gotta do it before the boba fad ends

Book of Boba Fad ended two years ago.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

there are good boba teas and bad boba teas

i greatly prefer a boba mocha tho

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Never had boba....?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't drink "tea". I'm just built different.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's too many boba places these days. Like 4 in the same mall. That's too much Boba!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I bought a big box of chinese tea tail end of the pandemic and im still drinking it. I need to get more puerh but I'm gonna feel guilty if I buy more before finishing what I have. freakin tea backlog...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

i'm bad with the action fighting games, I tried the Lost Judgement, and the combo system and wall bounce tutorials had me confused.

i instantly got into the first Like a Dragon one for those reasons since its a turn-based one. But I think ishen or whatever is back to regular action

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ishin isnt back to anything. it predates like a dragon

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Small milestone today, managed to go a whole week without drinking a soda.

Congrats

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

GateOfD posted:

i'm bad with the action fighting games, I tried the Lost Judgement, and the combo system and wall bounce tutorials had me confused.

i instantly got into the first Like a Dragon one for those reasons since its a turn-based one. But I think ishen or whatever is back to regular action

Like A Dragon will continue to be a turn-based series from here on out, but there will still be traditional action rpgs that are released like spinoffs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GateOfD posted:

Im terrible with action games and I managed to beat Yakuza 0 and 6. They definitely arent on the difficult side of the spectrum.

Like A Dragon caught me off guard, but in a good way. Its a fantastic spin off game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I am rewarded for my patience waiting for the washer and dryer by having the dryer crap out on me halfway through a cycle. Good thing the radiators are turned on so I can air dry my clothes. My whole living room is now a drying rack for the next few days.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

And I am rewarded for my patience waiting for the washer and dryer by having the dryer crap out on me halfway through a cycle. Good thing the radiators are turned on so I can air dry my clothes. My whole living room is now a drying rack for the next few days.

A blessing in disguise, as it makes your house smell like laundry detergent.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't drink "tea". I'm just built different.

mormon detected

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

fwiw, yakuza kiwami had such a dogshit fight before the final boss that i decided to play all of those games on easy going forward. i'm not there for challenging combat, just weird stuff and story. it's worked out very well for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

Im terrible with action games and I managed to beat Yakuza 0 and 6. They definitely arent on the difficult side of the spectrum.

Like A Dragon caught me off guard, but in a good way. Its a fantastic spin off game.

its not a spinoff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like it’s surrealism, but sometimes Melody of Oblivion gets too weird for me.