Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Didn't Voyager, or the shuttle, technically leave the galaxy in Threshold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Still think a good show premise would be a mission to one of the satellite galaxies like the Magellanic Cloud.

(People sometimes suggest Andromeda but you'd need to invoke a wormhole or some bullshit for that, it's so drat far. You could get to one of the satellites with a year or two cruising in the void at high warp and I could see starfleet setting up a mission of volunteers willing to go that far beyond in the name of exploration) (Or you could just say they have drives that can zip over to Andromeda but honestly that feels like it would shrink the setting too much)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 22, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Perhaps some sort of gate to go between stars?

I agree though, it could be a fun version of what Voyager should have been.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Skip the surface punch battle, have the Duras Sisters command another couple birds of prey, have the D comport itself well in the battle but still take a mortal wound, separate the saucer and have Kirk come out of the Nexus to command the doomed stardrive section long enough to convince the other birds that the Sisters' mission was dishonorable. The other birds and the stardrive section team up to blow up the Sisters and the saucer still crashes. Troi ejects an escape pod that bonks Soren on the head and stops his missile from launching.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

$

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A concept I think about while daydreaming sometimes is a Starfleet ship travelling to a new galaxy ( the crew can be in suspended animation or whatever) and meeting The Culture.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BonHair posted:

Didn't Voyager, or the shuttle, technically leave the galaxy in Threshold?

Yes. Warp 10 is infinite speed, which means that you exist at every point in the entire universe all at once while you are at Warp 10, and "stopping" is merely deciding what finite point in the infinite expand you would like to exist at instead of everywhere. Side effects include lizardly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Still think a good show premise would be a mission to one of the satellite galaxies like the Magellanic Cloud.

(People sometimes suggest Andromeda but you'd need to invoke a wormhole or some bullshit for that, it's so drat far. You could get to one of the satellites with a year or two cruising in the void at high warp and I could see starfleet setting up a mission of volunteers willing to go that far beyond in the name of exploration) (Or you could just say they have drives that can zip over to Andromeda but honestly that feels like it would shrink the setting too much)

From time to time I like to imagine a hypothetical Star Trek show that's basically a riff on Stargate: Atlantis. The Federation finds ancient lost plans for basically an FTL catapult that can slingshot starships to another galaxy near-instantaneously so they build one and test it and put together an expedition fleet and fire it off to Andromeda or Pegasus or any of the other nearby local group galaxies with the mission to set up a base of operations and then explore the galaxy and get to work building a return catapult to get back to the Milky Way eventually. And then you can have basically a cross between Voyager and Deep Space Nine, where it's this group of people at this base on the farthest frontier possible that can go out and explore and meet new peoples and wonders and enemies without the Federation being there to provide any backup. Like the first couple of hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda before the game turns to poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I like the idea of a subspace catapult. You could even technobabble it up so that it doesn't work within a galaxy, like it has a minimum effective range that means it's only going to be good for moving between galaxies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I like the idea of a subspace catapult. You could even technobabble it up so that it doesn't work within a galaxy, like it has a minimum effective range that means it's only going to be good for moving between galaxies.

Well that's an easy solve, you just need a Xen relay.

(In half life you can only teleport from one dimension to another so what they do is just bounce teleports Earth-Xen-Earth to teleport locally)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Good news, Picard already beefed this idea.

"From 2301 to 2305, the Leondegrance was commanded by Captain Nyota Uhura on an exploratory five-year mission to the Lesser Magellanic Cloud, during which the ship participated in over one hundred first contact missions. (PIC: "The Star Gazer" commemorative placard)"

Somehow they traveled 200,000 light years, explored it thoroughly, and returned. Fuckin Voyager taking seven years to do 70,000 light years, losers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Well that's an easy solve, you just need a Xen relay.

(In half life you can only teleport from one dimension to another so what they do is just bounce teleports Earth-Xen-Earth to teleport locally)

Yeah, like put a catapult out there in dark space between Andromeda and the Alpha Quadrant and just use it as a ricochet platform so you can go like Earth-Dark Space-Ocampa in basically one shot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This reminds me of Lila Cheney from X-Men comics, who could teleport but only over interstellar distances. Fortunately she found an abandoned Dyson sphere she could use for this purpose.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Good news, Picard already beefed this idea.

"From 2301 to 2305, the Leondegrance was commanded by Captain Nyota Uhura on an exploratory five-year mission to the Lesser Magellanic Cloud, during which the ship participated in over one hundred first contact missions. (PIC: "The Star Gazer" commemorative placard)"

Somehow they traveled 200,000 light years, explored it thoroughly, and returned. Fuckin Voyager taking seven years to do 70,000 light years, losers.

On the upside, it was small enough you can't read it on screen, so we can pretend it never happened.

I'm sure Beta Canon will establish that they found a wormhole or something to reconcile it. They can say they figured out it would collapse in five years and explored as much as they could until then, that'd still be consistent with DS9 finding the first stable one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 22, 2023

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nine-gear crow posted:

Side effects include lizardly.

They got better

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

An alternative to a space catapult would be the Iconian gateways, since they act like Stargates but are one way. You could come up with a concept of the Federation finding one big enough to send ships through or reverse engineering one to make it large enough to send a ship through.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Doctor: Well Commander Chakotay, I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I managed to turn the giant salamanders into humans. The bad new is, these aren't the Captain and Lt. Paris.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eighties ZomCom posted:

An alternative to a space catapult would be the Iconian gateways, since they act like Stargates but are one way. You could come up with a concept of the Federation finding one big enough to send ships through or reverse engineering one to make it large enough to send a ship through.

Also they make very convenient videogame mechanics.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 22, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Picard's weird Dickensian family makes more sense after hearing Patrick Stewart's interview on Conan O'Brien's podcast recently. He grew up dirt-poor to an almost comedic extent. Like he tells a story about boiling water once a week and trudging it up the stairs for family shower day.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I didn't realise he was from Yorkshire

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

No Dignity posted:

Up'ill both ways!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Born and raised. He worked his rear end off to train the Yorkie accent out of him for his acting career, but he slips back into it every now and then and he sounds like a completely different person when he does.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
First Contact: Opposite to the last film, I think I'll have a pop at the negatives first. It is very dumbed down, focused more on being a razzle dazzle space action adventure than something that feels true to the TNG vibe. It's Star Trek for the Independence Day generation, where lines like "Assimilate this!" get said without a hint of irony. Picard's fine, up to a point, then he REALLY shifts in character at the start of the third act, throwing his toys out of the pram and getting called Ahab. I'm not saying Wrath of Khan is the most subtle with its literal influences, but come on, we didn't need to do that again but even clumsier. It'd be fine if the story didn't then let him have his cake and eat it, doing the honourable thing, but THEN going off and saving the ship anyway. Oh, the ship! The ship is poo poo. The general shape and outline, fine, nice and sleek, but all those squiggly lines and matte black patches make it look proper uggo. I know it gets even worse later when they repaint it a bleak battleship grey. Then there's the Borg Queen. The loving Borg Queen, what a stupid idea.

That's a lot of bitching and complaining, but I enjoyed myself. The action bits are largely fun and nicely spectacular (save for the deflector dish sequence, which is kinda like any time a Bond film has an underwater scene and it all drags to a halt), it doesn't really slow up (again, except for the dish sequence). If, as I said, it's Independence Day Trek, it does it well enough! And the Borg Queen is stupid, but also, Krige plays her with such an off kilter ASMR vibe, it's pretty cool. Yet again, thin faced extra lady (Tracy?) is there, sadly not at the helm, she's been replaced by the Red Shirtiest Red Shirt ever, Hawk. Oh, Hawk. You were handsome and chiselled. RIP, beautiful boy, wonderful jawline. The actual first contact bit at the end is sweet and Jerry Goldsmith's going great guns throughout the whole film.

I suppose this post from a few pages back nailed it pretty well.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

First Contact is a good movie. It is not good Star Trek.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The First Contact theme was the best part of Picard S2 and then LDS did it way better

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

MuddyFunster posted:

I'm not saying Wrath of Khan is the most subtle with its literal influences, but come on, we didn't need to do that again but even clumsier.

Wrath of Khan is one of those things that's super detrimental to the series because they just. keep. trying. to do it again and again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will always go to bat for First Contact. It's in my top 3 of the films.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What ultimately makes Wrath of Khan great is that despite the obvious, the theme of the movie is NOT just "guy wants revenge, should hero want revenge?" That's just the catalyst for a whole bunch of much deeper character stuff. Whereas in future attempts, the theme is just REVENGE?!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will always go to bat for First Contact. It's in my top 3 of the films.

It's probably to blame for the Borg being Picards One True Enemy in Picard though isn't it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Taear posted:

It's probably to blame for the Borg being Picards One True Enemy in Picard though isn't it
I mean that was already kind of going to happen regardless considering what the Borg did to him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sir Lemming posted:

What ultimately makes Wrath of Khan great is that despite the obvious, the theme of the movie is NOT just "guy wants revenge, should hero want revenge?" That's just the catalyst for a whole bunch of much deeper character stuff. Whereas in future attempts, the theme is just REVENGE?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_HtGcBlRp0

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean that was already kind of going to happen regardless considering what the Borg did to him.

Yeah, the list of species who have personally hosed over Picard is like the Borg, the Nausicaans, and the Kataan. The Kataan he can't get revenge against (I HATE THE FLUTE), the Nausicaans are less interesting, we're left with the Borg. The story of Picard grappling with his need for revenge was done much better in "I, Borg" but First Contact is fine for a summer blockbuster movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

Yeah, the list of species who have personally hosed over Picard is like the Borg, the Nausicaans, and the Kataan. The Kataan he can't get revenge against (I HATE THE FLUTE), the Nausicaans are less interesting, we're left with the Borg. The story of Picard grappling with his need for revenge was done much better in "I, Borg" but First Contact is fine for a summer blockbuster movie.
Maybe the Cardassians, but it was specifically Gul Madred that tortured him so I don't know if that would really count.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
The constant attempts to call back to Wrath are weird to me, because it wasn't the HIT of the series, not really. Sure, it's a recognised classic these days, but I was always of the impression that Voyage Home was the only one to really pack in the punters and gain broad appeal. Surely that should have been the winning template? But then again, how do you replicate that?

I know it's not generally popular, but my ideal Star Trek movie has always been TMP. Something where the climax is an illuminating discovery, rather than a fist fight. I like a big mystery.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah but cribbing off khan is easier than sending picard back to safe the last white rhinos

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Taear posted:

First Contact should not be held accountable for other shittier writers’ preoccupations with the Borg.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVeUTTS2lk

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MuddyFunster posted:

The constant attempts to call back to Wrath are weird to me, because it wasn't the HIT of the series, not really. Sure, it's a recognised classic these days, but I was always of the impression that Voyage Home was the only one to really pack in the punters and gain broad appeal. Surely that should have been the winning template? But then again, how do you replicate that?

I know it's not generally popular, but my ideal Star Trek movie has always been TMP. Something where the climax is an illuminating discovery, rather than a fist fight. I like a big mystery.

Something like "what does God need with a starship?"

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Yes! I'll take that! V is great!

I know the effects took a hit and Shatner didn't get his grand angels and demons showdown (hell, he didn't even get a single pitiful looking rock monster), but I like the big finale of it. The starship line is a pearl that should be treasured, of course, but the line that gets me is Kelley's impassioned delivery of "I doubt any god who inflicts pain for his own pleasure!"

I think it's probably one of the best Kelley performances in the series and that's saying something because he's always never anything less than lovely.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

As soon as the Borg turned up in Q Who, there was going to be a Borg movie. It was inevitable, like the Borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MuddyFunster posted:

Yes! I'll take that! V is great!

I know the effects took a hit and Shatner didn't get his grand angels and demons showdown (hell, he didn't even get a single pitiful looking rock monster), but I like the big finale of it. The starship line is a pearl that should be treasured, of course, but the line that gets me is Kelley's impassioned delivery of "I doubt any god who inflicts pain for his own pleasure!"

I think it's probably one of the best Kelley performances in the series and that's saying something because he's always never anything less than lovely.

Hell yeah, that's my favourite bit too, Kelley kills it throughout the movie really. Bones is my favourite TOS character, love the 'crochety doctor with a heart of gold and absolute moral stances' archetype.

Actually, was it an archetype before TOS? I'm sure it must have been