Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Meh, no point continuing the argument.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The cowards response

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Always double down

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sometimes you just know you haven't put enough points into Persuasion and have to back down

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sometimes you just know you haven't put enough points into Persuasion and have to back down

Eh. It's just a "This is my experience" "Nu uh!" round of bullshit that I've had enough of with goons. My experiences and feelings about DOS2 are what they are, and they've utterly turned me off anything else Larian might make. Nothing more complicated than that.

I'm glad my experiences and feelings are not universal and people are enjoying these games, but they're not for me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you're underlevelled for this area. come back with more experience

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cythereal posted:

Eh. It's just a "This is my experience" "Nu uh!" round of bullshit that I've had enough of with goons. My experiences and feelings about DOS2 are what they are, and they've utterly turned me off anything else Larian might make. Nothing more complicated than that.

I'm glad my experiences and feelings are not universal and people are enjoying these games, but they're not for me.

in the future, i'd maybe give up on talking about why you don't like a game in the thread explicitly for talking about things you like about games if you don't want this sort of thing to happen to you

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

flatluigi posted:

in the future, i'd maybe give up on talking about why you don't like a game in the thread explicitly for talking about things you like about games if you don't want this sort of thing to happen to you

This is a little things in games thread, not a big things in game thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The fact that AC: Mirage is a legit stealth game, and not just fight everybody. I still want an AC: Berlin 1925 or Shanghai 1936

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nameless Pete posted:

I just hovered the attack button over each target until I saw the hit probability drop because the boss had the higher armor class.

Yeah I think this is what I did too. It's a neat puzzle because every way you solve it you'll feel a bit clever

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just didn't move the cursor since Yardovich stays targeted on your next attack.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cythereal posted:

Eh. It's just a "This is my experience" "Nu uh!" round of bullshit that I've had enough of with goons. My experiences and feelings about DOS2 are what they are

Seems disingenuous to say "I FELT like, as an OPINION, that the game required hours of tutorials and video watching online and didn't tell me anything about the systems" and then when people respond with their own experiences, to say it's "bullshit" and accuse people of trying to deny your experiences

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

John Lee posted:

Seems disingenuous to say "I FELT like, as an OPINION, that the game required hours of tutorials and video watching online and didn't tell me anything about the systems" and then when people respond with their own experiences, to say it's "bullshit" and accuse people of trying to deny your experiences

Shockingly, different people are in fact different. Some people find some things obvious. Some people don't. I felt that Larian made extremely unintuitive games with little direction that I bounced off hard as mechanical experiences.

Some people obviously didn't.

Maybe I'm just a moron.

Either way, it's just different people having different experiences and both are valid.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

You really don't need to be guided to play BG3. Like yeah there's Super De Duper Optimal Builds but part of what makes the combat fun is that if you come up with an idea it probably works or is at least viable. You have a bunch of tools and are given options to use those tools.

How do I turn 'every single person except Karlach will miss the broad side of a barn' into something usable? Because that's another thing discouraging me feeling like this game is working for me, it doesn't really matter how strong my plan is if I miss six 50% attacks in a row on a single target. (And no, there weren't easy ways to increase my hit chance in that fight.)

Karlach gets filled with arrows before she gets to do anything useful with her unparalleled skills in 'sometimes hitting the thing she's swinging at', so that's not helpful.

Yes, I already turned off karmic dice. It has not magically made Ray of Sickness and Eldritch Blast capable of reliably hitting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If one side of a conversation says they want to disengage, maybe the other side should let them.

In more pleasant news, Grandia II got rereleased on Steam, which means I get to listen to Millennia scream "DEEP-FRIED GOODNESS!" every time she zaps an enemy with a lightning spell.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If one side of a conversation says they want to disengage, maybe the other side should let them.

Not without provoking an argument of opportunity!

In more pleasant news, Grandia II got rereleased on Steam, which means I get to listen to Millennia scream "DEEP-FRIED GOODNESS!" every time she zaps an enemy with a lightning spell.

I keep meaning to grab it on sale at some point because I have such good memories having rented it for PS2 from Blockbuster as a teen. If I enjoyed it at 10 FPS 'm sure it'll be even funner at proper FPS!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Cleretic posted:

How do I turn 'every single person except Karlach will miss the broad side of a barn' into something usable? Because that's another thing discouraging me feeling like this game is working for me, it doesn't really matter how strong my plan is if I miss six 50% attacks in a row on a single target. (And no, there weren't easy ways to increase my hit chance in that fight.)

Karlach gets filled with arrows before she gets to do anything useful with her unparalleled skills in 'sometimes hitting the thing she's swinging at', so that's not helpful.

Yes, I already turned off karmic dice. It has not magically made Ray of Sickness and Eldritch Blast capable of reliably hitting.

You can just stop playing games you don't like. Not all games are for everybody and that's okay. I bounced off Streets of Rogue hard, but it seems like every time I've seen it mentioned on the forums, it's somebody saying how much they liked it. Find a game you like and play that instead of trying to make yourself finish a game you're obviously not having fun with. Doing that is a sure-fire way to not enjoy yourself. Maybe give it some time before you pick it back up again if you feel like you have to finish the game.

thread content:
Cyber Knights: Flashpoint, the latest Trese Brothers game, finally had a callback to the first game that wasn't just the setting (Neo-Boston) and factions. Clive Zep was a companion you get for a week for free, to show that there's a party system and you can hire people. Someone mentioned him by name in an early conversation, and also referred to him as "the old man," so the game is set years after the first one, instead of just being a fuzzy reboot of a mobile game from over a decade ago.

secondary little thing: the privatized police corporation is named Brave Star, which I think is a nod to both Shadowrun's Lone Star and the 80s cartoon about the Native American sheriff on a western-themed planet with robots and lasers (BraveStarr).

Favorite little thing in the gaming industry: The Trese Brothers.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Oct 23, 2023

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Are you not using rage or reckless attack on Karlach, two of her major class features that would alleviate your issues with her?

Also are you dumping your main stat? You should have at least a 16 to start in whatever your main stat is. Respec with Withers if you have to.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

If you're feeling underpowered then it's never a bad idea to take inventory of all the equipment you've got, grab a character who feels weak and respec them. It's 100 gold and Withers will do it any time, it's useful in case you're not noticing the benefit of a certain subclass or feat and want to try out a few different options. It's also not a bad idea to stay boring with it and just boost somebody to max level in one class + take the feat that just lets you add two points to their stats. The stat distribution nominally stops at 20, so putting 2 more into any stat is a lot more powerful than it seems on paper. That's your AC, your to-hit chance, etc.

Also, if you're feeling particularly weak on somebody like Karlach, Potions of Hill Giant Strength will put your STR to 21 and keep it there until you long rest, and you can still use other utility potions/poisons, just not another Elixir. So if you're trying to game the system, you can ignore STR and just always keep a few potions on yourself from looting containers and buying from merchants. You can put all your points into DEX/CON on a barbarian and just drink that elixir to boost your attack stat for hitting stuff.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Did mirage bring back the two most important things in assasins creed. Lethal parrying and weapon specific parrying?

these are not the most important things but they have defined which ACs have been poo poo and which ones havent been for me for some reason.

also parrying with a gun will never not be funny.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I've always had a grudge against that game, because I paid full price for it on Dreamcast, but apparently there's a certain model of Dreamcast that Grandia 2 does not work on. The pirated version does work,though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZeusCannon posted:

Did mirage bring back the two most important things in assasins creed. Lethal parrying and weapon specific parrying?

these are not the most important things but they have defined which ACs have been poo poo and which ones havent been for me for some reason.

also parrying with a gun will never not be funny.

No to the latter, you have a fixed weapon set of a sword and dagger, but in the case of the former a single parry will generally give you a "KILL" prompt on the standard guards.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cythereal posted:

Shockingly, different people are in fact different. Some people find some things obvious. Some people don't. I felt that Larian made extremely unintuitive games with little direction that I bounced off hard as mechanical experiences.

Some people obviously didn't.

Maybe I'm just a moron.

Either way, it's just different people having different experiences and both are valid.

Nah, you're not a moron, buddy. And you're allowed to not like or understand a game for both legible and illegible reasons. But if both experiences are valid, then why did you take other people's experiences as a criticism or attack? I checked the posts, and they seem pretty darn mild to me - some of them not phrased the best, given my personal love of explicit qualifiers, but it looked like a "disagree" to me rather than a "shut the gently caress up, you're dumb"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No to the latter, you have a fixed weapon set of a sword and dagger, but in the case of the former a single parry will generally give you a "KILL" prompt on the standard guards.

Well poo poo. That's a shame.

At some point (possibly AC1) but the memory is dim the ability to just stand and parry / murder all assailants in the game was one of my favorite bits. It appears to have disappeared around black flag however

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Are you not using rage or reckless attack on Karlach, two of her major class features that would alleviate your issues with her?

Also are you dumping your main stat? You should have at least a 16 to start in whatever your main stat is. Respec with Withers if you have to.

Oh, I think you misunderstand: Karlach is the only person pulling her goddamn weight in regards to Actually Hitting Things, probably thanks to exactly those two things. She just turns into a pincushion the instant enemies get to do anything, probably in part because of that second thing.

My sorceror protag has 17 Charisma. So does Wyll. Shadowheart has a 17 Wisdom. None of those 17s help in getting odds better than 'about a coin flip', nor do they help when those coin flips land on tails a statistically implausible amount of times.

Fifty Farts posted:

You can just stop playing games you don't like. Not all games are for everybody and that's okay.

Yeah, there's a funny thing that happens when Every Single Person talks up a specific game and tells me I'd like it: I usually believe them, for much longer than I probably should.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waste of Breath posted:

For me, it started with realizing that I could abuse stealth + invisibility spells to clear the entire goblin camp with Astarion + Sneak attacks. Literally one shot every trash mob like I was playing Arkham Asylum or Spiderman.

Thrown objects (smoke powder barrels in particular) are incredibly OP.

Many times there are opportunities to yeet someone off a cliff with a spell or a shove (including a boss, Orin, before the fight even starts).

You can preposition your characters ahead of obvious fights so that you have folks in advantageous positions.

Hold Monster allowed me to stunlock what is regarded as one of the most difficult bosses in the game and thats just a spell that they give you, it's not even creative thinking.

Like I don't even play CRPGs and haven't played D&D since 3rd edition and I figured this stuff out.

It's a power fantasy, but one that rewards thoughtful planning and trial and error. Not just blindly mashing your way through a fight.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I played a sorcerer and just for basic rear end class features that could break the game, I could use twin spell to twin haste and basically give my group two extra turns, or use quicken to fire off two fireballs and detonate the map, or use heighten to repeatedly stun the boss. Those are just super basic abilities, don't require any amount of complex strategy or deep understanding and yet can make fights absolute cakewalks. No multi hour youtube video requires to know "use abilities given to you by your class".

As for DOS2 as long as you stayed to one or two skill types and focused on them, you were golden, none of the skills were bad. And the easiest way to break the game was just to take summoning.

Thanks! It's a me problem because BG3 is a game I'm not personally interested in (The only way to get less interested from me would be like a Star Wars themed Majong game) so I have no idea what 'Breaking the game means' because that's how everyone talks about games now. Either that or 'The fastest way to become OP' or whatever. Simple concrete examples help me a lot more.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

At some point (possibly AC1) but the memory is dim the ability to just stand and parry / murder all assailants in the game was one of my favorite bits. It appears to have disappeared around black flag however

In AC2 I liked to barehanded-parry enemies, disarming them and setting them up for an instant-kill using their own weapon.
(Parry attacks with the sword did a chunk of damage but didn't kill brutes, parry attacks with the hidden blade were always fatal but had a super-tight timing window)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I just didn't move the cursor since Yardovich stays targeted on your next attack.

Wish I knew this when I was 12

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZeusCannon posted:

You can kinda do that. Combat works on a Heavy and Light strike system; You have to dodge Heavy attacks, but you can Parry Light attacks, and most of the time that'll open up a regular grunt to an instakill prompt. Spearmen you need to whittle down a bit health-wise, and Heavy Guards have front-facing armor, so you gotta bait them, roll behind, and strike at their unarmored back.

Or just drop a smoke grenade and shiv them because gently caress that dance.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, there's a funny thing that happens when Every Single Person talks up a specific game and tells me I'd like it: I usually believe them, for much longer than I probably should.

That's your mistake. Never listen goons!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ZeusCannon posted:

You can tap evade and then murder with a really heavy hit as a riposte

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I think you misunderstand: Karlach is the only person pulling her goddamn weight in regards to Actually Hitting Things, probably thanks to exactly those two things. She just turns into a pincushion the instant enemies get to do anything, probably in part because of that second thing.

My sorceror protag has 17 Charisma. So does Wyll. Shadowheart has a 17 Wisdom. None of those 17s help in getting odds better than 'about a coin flip', nor do they help when those coin flips land on tails a statistically implausible amount of times.

Spells are hard to make better, as they're almost entirely reliant on stats rather than equipment (though there are a few pieces of equipment that make them hit harder or more often, they're rare). Eldritch Blast is a cantrip, for example, so having a good spell that hit frequently would be a little overpowering.

Karlach probably hits more often because of equipment considerations plus her berserker stuff. Replacing one of the other characters with Lazel, for example, could help due to her number of attacks combined with the amount of equipment that she has proficiency with, plus various feats that can allow her to hit harder and more often. Or Astarion, due his sneak attacks and ability to get advantage often.

Also if possible, do ranged attacks from higher up to get advantage, or cast bless before a battle to get boosts to attacks. Also, AOE attacks are guaranteed to hit, though they may just do half damage if the enemy dodges.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh my little thing is in BG3, another one of those things where in-world stuff intersected with game mechanics: found a statue that we needed to rotate for a puzzle, but it was rusted in place. I failed the athletics check to turn it, my friends failed their athletics check, even the fighter with high strength failed their athletics check, we couldn't figure out how to raise our stats enough to do this. Then my friend just goes "wait...if this works...." and threw a bottle of grease at the statue. Turned without issue after that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can kinda do that. Combat works on a Heavy and Light strike system; You have to dodge Heavy attacks, but you can Parry Light attacks, and most of the time that'll open up a regular grunt to an instakill prompt. Spearmen you need to whittle down a bit health-wise, and Heavy Guards have front-facing armor, so you gotta bait them, roll behind, and strike at their unarmored back.

Or just drop a smoke grenade and shiv them because gently caress that dance.
Sounds a lot like Brotherhood and the one after it that had a tower defence minigame.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when a game has non-tutorial teaching tools, like an achievement for triggering certain conditions with an attack that you might not have thought of [spoilering lategame mechanic](FF16 for instance has a thing where if you perfect dodge with Shiva equipped and using her circle dash move instead of the usual trigger button dodge, it encases enemies in ice in a Permafrost status effect) or a powerup where to make it stronger you have to use a move in a certain way like Forspoken's thing where the challenge for the earth shield attack is killing enemies with the automatic counter that it does if they hit the shield, which until doing that I didn't actually know how to use the earth shield, and after doing that I did.

Forspoken has roughly a thousand mechanics

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cleretic posted:

I think any person telling you that you'd like a game is a loving idiot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Arkham Origins begins with Black Mask offering a $50,000,000 bounty for Batman and bringing six expert assassins to Gotham City, who have just one night to carry out the hit.

Alfred points out that as only he and Bruce know who Batman is, he could just stay at home and put his feet up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finally figured out how to record from my PS5 without any issues, so I can finally start recording my Forspoken videos in defense of Frey as a person/character. Yay.

Please provide a link when you are done, I would be interested to hear what the defence has to offer.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I appreciate how quiet Spider-Man 2 runs and how fast it loads. Much different experience to the first one on the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kitfox88 posted:

Not without provoking an argument of opportunity!

Disengage specifically doesn't provoke Attacks of Opportunity. You fool! You clown!