Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Todo is a genetic freak AND HE'S NOT NORMAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

when you have an IQ of 420,000 you can just do poo poo like that, its nbd

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sukuna might be a death painting half curse, but a more natural one than Kenjaku's creations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

TheHan posted:

megumi can just do that

guess why he never smiles

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sukuna's cursed technique is a kitchenette, so part of it is just enlarging his mouth so he can eat bigger portions. Dismantle/Cleave? They're for preparing food. The domain expansion, Malicious Shrine? People would drop food there as offerings and Sukuna would then eat it. Flame arrows? More like FLAME FROM THE FURNACE HE USES TO COOK.

I'm not serious.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
keeping a photo of your besto friendo in your heart shaped locked along with the woman of your dreams making even a cursed spirit think what the hell wrong with this guy is a 500,000 iq move

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

yum posted:

that’s me. i’m the redditor. pls don’t make fun of me

edit: I don’t think i need to justify why i use reddit (brainworms) but I specifically posted that there because I just wanted to throw the systemic angle out there. No one really talks about the bigger picture, so hopefully my post encourages someone else to dive deeper.

From a meta perspective, if Gege’s entire message was that enlightenment meant being a selfish rear end in a top hat and everyone should be like Sukuna, then JJK probably wouldn’t be allowed to be published in SJ. Clearly the underlying theme is that the system is at fault for uplifting such an individual.

Oh! Sorry about that. I liked your theory, that's why I remembered reading it before.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Todo is great because he's the anchor character for the Granblue Fantasy collab, he blabs about the game to Yuji and friends, and they all get isekai'd into the Sky Realm. Absolutely unhinged canon crossover (like how the Code Geass collab is canon too)

Also as a manga reader, it's amusing how the characters in the collab were Yuji & Megumi (playable duo unit), Maki & Nobara (playable duo unit), Todo (summon), and Gojo (summon). More than half of those shelved if not dead.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I guess thats what happens when your grimdark battle shounen is a smash hit in it's first season.

Hey, hasn't stopped a bajillion years of Evangelion merch, despite watching many iterations of those characters suffer horrible deaths and other maladies.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One thing that would be really funny is if that one finger the two girls tried to bribe Sukuna with unsuccessfully came up again. There's one finger missing, and they just assumed Gojo had it but that may not be the case.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
leak spoilers for 240

you might not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

(seriously spoilers)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Somberbrero posted:

leak spoilers for 240

you might not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

(seriously spoilers)

this fight reminds me of the Jon Moxley vs Toru Yano match in the 2019 G1 Climax, hope it ends in *that* way too

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Brought To You By posted:

Reminder that this comedian could 1v1 Satoru Gojo as a joke and win.

Takaba's technique has not been well explained, though he is basically like Roger Rabbit in that he can do anything so as long as it is funny.

Nonetheless, I imagine abstract techniques such as "Comedian" follows similar constraints to Haruta's "Miracles" in that there is some limit.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i swear to god if Takaba dies because Kenjaku is funnier i'm gonna throw up!!!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

they're gonna become friends and start a duo routine

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Every single scene of Kenjaku being the chillest loving dude as he discusses his evil plots has been leadup to this fight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jerkface posted:

i swear to god if Takaba dies because Kenjaku is funnier i'm gonna throw up!!!
At this rate that's what'll happen because god forbid anything not go to plan for the most boring of the villains

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yum posted:

jujutsu society and the structure of the entire system is the way it is probably because it was engineered to be this way 1.000 years ago by Tengan and friends. Kenjaku, Angel, and Sukuna were likely involved too and apart of the same organization since they seem to know each other. It’s been preserved and maintained by Tengan which is why Kenjaku and Yuki said not to trust her. It’s why Japan is the only country in the world where cursed energy and spirits are so potent. We don’t know for what purpose it’s for, but it’s a cruel and tyrannical system that rewards selfishness and punishes those who value lives other than their own.

The end result of such a system is a being like Sukuna. He is “enlightened” because he knows the truth of the system and thrives in it. The theme of the new wave overturning the old and corrupt is prevalent throughout and it’s especially notable with Gojo’s death.

Gojo’s role in the story is to be a teacher, which goes along with all the Buddha references. He’s a lovely teacher because he can’t explain anything, but he teaches by example. He’s meant to be the best of us, someone born with everything: ingenuity, strength, skill, an op technique, and an innate genetic advantage through the 6 eyes. But he is still merely an individual. His loss to Sukuna was foretold because an individual cannot dismantle a system. Sukuna is a 1,000 year old monster, armed with institutional knowledge and experience, along with all the treasures he’s stolen and accumulated from others. He’s a vampire that literally stole everything from Megumi, who isn’t even a legal adult.

We’re probably going to see Hakari/Higuruma pull some wacky domain stuff and something RCT-cursed technique related from Yuta that learned from Gojo’s fight. I guess the real message of that fight was it takes more than one person, no matter how exceptional, to dismantle the system.

That’s my head canon anyways, maybe we’ll cut back to the fight and the entire gang will be just legs

I wasn't thinking about this in such concrete terms but I like it a lot. I have definitely been expecting pretty much since meeting Tengen that he had once been all aboard with the stuff Kenjaku is doing. Definitely curious to get more backstory with them. Also like the idea Kenjaku started the cult.

Takaba showing up to fight Kenjaku is just so immediately great. Regardless of if he loses it's such an unexpected and neat face off that I'm hype to see how it unfolds. Really big fan of Kenjaku's face fault and then "yeah I agree" at the end. What a way to turnaround that chapter when for most of it I was thinking "oh my god I don't care why am I here instead of the good fight".

Seeing Gojo just dead on the ground in the phone screen was pretty jarring I thought. A surprisingly impactful way of showing him dead like that. Like seeing it from a new angle just made it seem so much more real.

I like the idea of Gojo turning himself into a cursed object, that would be a cool final evolution imo. Not having him back but that he can leave behind an effigy of his power for the crew.

For Choso I never read it as the same thing as Todo. We see Todo also imagine Takeda in his mind palace telling him how to avoid Hanami's buds. I just assume that's how his brain works. What he experiences with Yuji never felt the same to be as Choso despite them being the same on the surface. I really don't expect there to be any more to it than Choso and Yuji being cursed halfbrothers. I haven't watched S2 yet but I did see a clip of that fight and it looked much more like their blood mixed. Considering how the paintings an Choso are I assume that's what triggered his weird blood memory freakout.

If it does turn out to the grandpa thing or latent ability then that's pretty well setup but not something I'm really expecting or that interested in.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I was rereading 239.
The curse Kenjaku uses is worse than Indoor Fish from HxH. A googly eyed jellyfish that sticks to your head, and then solidifies? The girl kicking while she's drowning? That's pretty dark. On par with what we have seen so far.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The scans are out: https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7532/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-240?date=26-10-2023-21

And I finally win YUJI WAS WEARING A loving GAUNTLET LIKE I TOLD Y'ALL.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm jokerfied, baby

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol this dude is straight up worse than afo

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I'd enjoy AfO if he turned out to have a deep knowledge of comedy. Like I agree that Kenjaku is boring, but he's boring because he doesn't have as many of these characterization moments as he needed, in large part because a huge part of his presence before the Culling Games was just being a fake-out for Geto, and during the Culling Games he didn't spend much time on-screen, and when he did it was either to do exposition or to be sold as a threat by killing off Yuki.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The sheer absurdity of Kenjaku being a genuine fan of the local comedy scene is selling me on it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

who hurt you to give you this kind of reaction to this chapter lmao

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kenjaku loving owns

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I guess it makes sense in retrospect. He's a thousand-year-old brain who's bored and in perpetual search of novelty, it's not always going to revolve around sorcery. He probably has an extensive posting history on various internet forums for hyper-obscure topics.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
thanks for the kind words to the people who read my ramblings

latest chapter
Re: theme of selfishness vs our social bonds to others, Takaba’s CT works as long as he doesn’t doubt himself and believes his own jokes are funny. He loses power/confidence when he begins to care about what other people find funny or if he compares his comedic sense to others. He’s a comedian with a one man audience. Rather selfish since 99% of people find him abrasive. I wonder what happens if he lands a good joke on Kenjaku and makes him laugh.

Also, I remember in his introduction that Takaba said he thinks he’s 70/30 for the type of comedian he is (I think it was speculated he had Nanami’s technique back then)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fabricated posted:

You're so dumb lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kenjaku being a comedy fan is so funny. Dude just lives for entertainment and hanging out at the expense of others.

Takaba rules. I can’t wait for his power up when he finally starts a podcast.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It hurts to see this but it's also pretty funny.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kenjaku loving owns

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Whichever way this goes, Takaba needing to step up his game rather than being entirely carried by his CT is far more engrossing than the alternative.

Also

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kenjaku loving owns

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Oh god, Takaba's greatest weaknesses A critic and his crippling self doubt

yum posted:

thanks for the kind words to the people who read my ramblings

latest chapter
Re: theme of selfishness vs our social bonds to others, Takaba’s CT works as long as he doesn’t doubt himself and believes his own jokes are funny. He loses power/confidence when he begins to care about what other people find funny or if he compares his comedic sense to others. He’s a comedian with a one man audience. Rather selfish since 99% of people find him abrasive. I wonder what happens if he lands a good joke on Kenjaku and makes him laugh.

Also, I remember in his introduction that Takaba said he thinks he’s 70/30 for the type of comedian he is (I think it was speculated he had Nanami’s technique back then)

The situation for Takaba is a bit dire here, the odds of someone coming to help him are very low because the ancient sorcerors know not to mess with Kenjaku with one exception who is now dead on the ground. Best outcome is someone shows up to be receptive to Takaba's comedy and form a comedy pair with him. But with everyone else currently moving to fight Sukuna our choices are really slim. Maybe Sumo guy or that one dude that knew Yuji from back in the day but that's about it.

Alternatively, I'm down for Takaba forsaking pleasing the audience and just making himself laugh, but he's not likely to go that route and I think it's ultimately not great for the good guys to take the selfish route this late in the game even though not doing so hasn't been working.

edit: Charles might actually work out here as a team mate. His power would let him at least see the poses Takaba would be doing as well as predicting Kenjaku's next attack. And he's also a creator who has his own personal standards that were shown not to conform to critical reception. And he's not doing anything at the moment.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2023

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
sounds like he needs some hypemen…. where’s the Kappa guy and sword guy when you need them!!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

The sheer absurdity of Kenjaku being a genuine fan of the local comedy scene is selling me on it.

and it's a fun idea to counter the gag character with a critic

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somberbrero posted:

I did not expect it, and it was funnier than it should have been. I think this might be my favorite singular chapter in a while.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
God forbid a man has hobbies??

The mook in the previous chapter reminded me of Karin Kanzuki from Street Fighter and that's a shame

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm wondering if kenny's analysis is correct. it's easy to take what angel is saying as "if he knows his CT is tied to confidence he might not be confident" but it also seems weird to spend 6 pages alluding to something kenny is just going to say outright in the same chapter

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just imagining this man, performing inhumane experiments in his lab that will bring about the downfall of humanity, and having like a Bill Burr comedy special playing in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Fabricated posted:

Nah, Kenjaku is engaging with Takaba's technique's rules, instead of just saying "Nuh uh". It also being used to give Takaba some reason to introspect is way more development than anything that happened around AFO in his current battle.

What makes me curious is how can Comedy Man actually win though, since all we've seen him do is negate attacks, can he even inflict damage?