Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

We had some recessed lighting installed and a bunch of holes were cut out for access in the ceiling. Is it a fool's errand to try and use the round cutouts to patch the drywall? It seems like a nightmare to try to tape it like that but the electrician suggested using them. Is it better to just cut squares around the holes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

We had some recessed lighting installed and a bunch of holes were cut out for access in the ceiling. Is it a fool's errand to try and use the round cutouts to patch the drywall? It seems like a nightmare to try to tape it like that but the electrician suggested using them. Is it better to just cut squares around the holes?

You should absolutely use the cutouts. I'd put a 1x in the hole so you can screw it into the existing drywall and the patches, then cover the entire patch with mesh tape, then use hot mud and a 12" knife to smooth the entire thing in.

I'm assuming we're talking 6" or smaller holes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Motronic posted:

You should absolutely use the cutouts. I'd put a 1x in the hole so you can screw it into the existing drywall and the patches, then cover the entire patch with mesh tape, then use hot mud and a 12" knife to smooth the entire thing in.

I'm assuming we're talking 6" or smaller holes.

To clarify this, if you screw a fairing strip of wood across the hole (there will be two screws in the dry wall on each side, like this:

code:
 =X=(=====)=X= 
X = screw
= = fairing strip
( ) = the hole opening

Then you can just screw the round drywall bit you have right into the wood strip. Since you're already mudding it doesn't matter that you have two more holes, just fill them too.

code:
  X (   X  )  X  

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've done patches before but never something round like that. Mesh over the whole thing? Deal. Thanks for the responses.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I've done patches before but never something round like that. Mesh over the whole thing? Deal. Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, you're going to have to smooth out from all sides of that patch anyway, so no need to leave a "divot" in the middle. Just let it be the high spot and feather out all around.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Ask the surveyor. They should be able to give you a map easy-peasy unless they are literally still doing everything with a transit and chains or something.

e: also if the surveyor can give you lat/long coordinates for the corners that would help, and/or those may already be available to you if you have the deed/plat records (which may not exist in your country, I have no idea)

devicenull posted:

Get a GPS app on your phone, and place it on each of the stakes and record the position. That'll at least get you within ~50ft or so based on your GPS.

Thanks, now I have a few coordinates. How do I plug them into Google Maps to give me a satellite view?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You should be able to just paste lat/long into maps search to see where that location is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Thanks, now I have a few coordinates. How do I plug them into Google Maps to give me a satellite view?

https://kmltools.appspot.com/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You should be able to just paste lat/long into maps search to see where that location is.

I'm trying to make a polygon with multiple lat/longs. It looks like Google Earth might be able to do what I need. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2023
i'm looking to figure out why Time blends well when I die at home versus out and about with car & public

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

102223 posted:

i'm looking to figure out why Time blends well when I die at home versus out and about with car & public

I know what these words mean, but this sentence makes no sense.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
There's no fixing that, fast or otherwise.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

CzarChasm posted:

I know what these words mean, but this sentence makes no sense.

Glad I'm not the only one.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I live in a SFH and sound transmits like crazy through it, which is more of an issue than ever now that we have a 2nd kid. I've always lived in like 1890s houses with heavy construction and doors, and even if they were creaky, the sound did not travel much. Now I live in a 1960 house and it seems like you can hear a pin drop across the house with all the doors closed.

Anyway I'm wondering what sorts of things I can consider doing to dampen sound transmission throughout the house. I'm aware there might not be an easy fix but I'm willing to get some real work done, I'm just not even sure where to start or where the best bang for my buck might be.

A few thoughts:

Doors: Heavier doors? (They are single panel shaker style, so pretty thin for most of their area)
Is there a way to test out if the doors are the issue? Maybe replace just one and see how much that fixes things in that bedroom?

Floors: footsteps seem to propagate through the hardwood floor pretty strongly. there is insulation underneath them but I wonder if there's a way to... add weight to them to dampen that? Is that a thing?

Transmission thru walls: no idea what to do on this one short of tearing out and replacing drywall with heavier stuff

I'm just wondering how to go about investigating which issue is the key issue, and then, what can be done about it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rugs. What you are looking for are rugs. And runners.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, rugs with pads underneath will go a long way.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Wall tapestries.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

alnilam posted:

Doors: Heavier doors? (They are single panel shaker style, so pretty thin for most of their area)
Is there a way to test out if the doors are the issue? Maybe replace just one and see how much that fixes things in that bedroom?

If I remember correctly doors are rated based on how much sound they dampen and the difference between a hollow core and solid wood is significant. But that will only go so far if the door is surrounded by other less insulated materials.

Rugs and to some extent other furnishings make a noticeable difference. Rugs should at least be underneath all your seating and beds just as much for sound dampening as to protect the floors.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I’m hanging some heavier fixtures in a commercial building that uses metal (aluminum?) studs instead of usual stud wood. Is anchoring stuff onto metal studs any different than anchoring them into wooden studs? For example do they hold less weight or do I need to use different screws when working with metal studs? I usually use GRK cabinet screws and wanted to use them for anchoring onto metal studs, if that would work.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Yes you will want to use fine thread screws instead of coarse thread screws into steel studs. They carry less than wood, the exact weight will depend on the dimensions, length and thickness of the stud, 25 ga is typical for interior walls, 20 ga can be in bathrooms for backing and tile, 18 or more for exterior walls. The walls may have been designed with the expectation that there would be fixtures if that's typical for where they are, there may be wood or metal backing in the wall between the studs for what you're looking to do. Try knocking on the wall or use a stud finder to see.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I myself posted about this earlier in the thread, and what I learned was:

The truly proper big GC way to do the job is to tear out the drywall, install wood blocking in the places you need to anchor things, and put drywall back up

The next best thing is toggle bolts into the metal studs

The next next best thing is self-tapping sheet metal screws into the metal studs

This may be the blind leading the blind here but just posting what I've recently learned :shobon:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

alnilam posted:

I myself posted about this earlier in the thread, and what I learned was:

The truly proper big GC way to do the job is to tear out the drywall, install wood blocking in the places you need to anchor things, and put drywall back up

The next best thing is toggle bolts into the metal studs

The next next best thing is self-tapping sheet metal screws into the metal studs

This may be the blind leading the blind here but just posting what I've recently learned :shobon:

Well put.

Whoever installed the cabinetry in my MILs apartment should've read this. All the kitchens were installed into metal studs without blocking. It was discovered by the people who came in to repair her collapsed kitchen.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My front door rubs at the very top. It's gotten worse so you really have to muscle it open.

Can I just take it down, chisel the hinge mortises an eighth of an inch, and hang again? Chisel a bit more on the top one?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Before you remove material, check to see if the hinges on the door frame are pulling away at all. Typically for a heavy door I’d expect top opposite corner to get more door if it starts sagging. Driving longer screw(s) into the frame could help. I have cases of really long wood screws I use for this purpose.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hed posted:

Before you remove material, check to see if the hinges on the door frame are pulling away at all. Typically for a heavy door I’d expect top opposite corner to get more door if it starts sagging. Driving longer screw(s) into the frame could help. I have cases of really long wood screws I use for this purpose.

Yeah having gone through this experience several times, the first thing to check is if the hinges are pulling away. That is common and can be easily fixed with long screws or the toothpick /dowel trick. If they are tight, the next thing that is way way easier than mortising new hinge placements, is planing a little door material away in the offending corner.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think it's house settling - hinge looks good and tight on the wall. I'm leaning away from shaving doorframe for aesthetic reasons - sanding and painting is about my least favorite activity. Then again, hanging doors is a bigger pain in the rear end so I guess I gotta eat at least one frog.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They may look tight, and still be loose.

If after a good cranking, the door is still hitting, you want to trim the edge (e: of the slab). You do not want to mess with the hinge mortises beyond confirming that everything is snugged down. If it is a lot of material, get & use a plane. Watch YT videos or woodworking sites to set the plane blade.

If it's less, hit it with a palm sander with 60-grit until it just closes. Wood expands & shrinks with the seasons/weather, so you don't want to remove too much. Wood stretchers are very expensive.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 30, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I think it's house settling - hinge looks good and tight on the wall. I'm leaning away from shaving doorframe for aesthetic reasons - sanding and painting is about my least favorite activity. Then again, hanging doors is a bigger pain in the rear end so I guess I gotta eat at least one frog.

you don't shave the frame, you shave the door. Also the first few times I did it I took the door off to plane it, then I realized it was a million times easier to get on a chair or ladder and do it in place, testing as you go.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Ten bux on some 3" decking screws seems like a small gamble to avoid planing a door, but what do I know?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
4" screws, the 3's normally won't bite deep enough.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Can you buy solid bypass closet doors? As opposed to the hollow ones. If so, where?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

alnilam posted:

you don't shave the frame, you shave the door. Also the first few times I did it I took the door off to plane it, then I realized it was a million times easier to get on a chair or ladder and do it in place, testing as you go.

:doh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Haha yeah

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

. You do not want to mess with the hinge mortises beyond confirming that everything is snugged down.

As a general rule? Or just in this case?

OP: confirm the screws are snug with a screwdriver, don’t overtighten. Confirm that there’s at least one 3”+ deck screw per hinge. Lay a piece of wood over the part of door jamb that’s sticking and give it some whacks to see if you can knock it back into place. Try all that before messing w the door itself. The door slab is fine, after all it worked before something came out of alignment.

I’d suspect it’s the door jamb itself rather than the structure settling, the jamb is nailed in place and all the impacts from using the heavy front door can cause it to shift.

Vim Fuego posted:

Can you buy solid bypass closet doors? As opposed to the hollow ones. If so, where?

sliding bifold doors like these?

They sell them at the home centers, maybe not in stock but you can definitely order them. They are significantly more expensive though, these are like $800 at Lowe’s. Maybe there’s a cabinet/moulding supplier in your area that’s open to the public that could get you better prices

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I guess this is me thinking out loud more than anything. I'm building a kind of small lean to type addition to my shed. 7x10 base and probably 5' height at the door and whatever gets me good enough pitch at the high back wall.

Considering the size and the whole purpose of it is to store like 3 things (wheel barrel, mower, sweeper for tractor), any reason I can't go 24" on center for the framing instead of 16"? I'm in Southeast PA for climate reference.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks, indeed, were deceiving. Hinges looked good, but a few turns to tighten solved the issue! A couple were free spinning, so I may do a skewer trick + longer screws soon. Thanks all for the advice!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Top G posted:

As a general rule? Or just in this case?

General rule, especially in the case of a mounted door that has operated without issue for years or decades.

When fitting a new slab, you start with the hinge mortises, and trim them to fit. Once they're in, even & flush, don't mess with them again; trim to adjust everything else.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

General rule, especially in the case of a mounted door that has operated without issue for years or decades.

When fitting a new slab, you start with the hinge mortises, and trim them to fit. Once they're in, even & flush, don't mess with them again; trim to adjust everything else.

Gotcha, good to know. I’ve done it in the past usually as a last resort, but I’m most only ever dealing with pre-hung doors that were installed inorrectly

The Dave posted:

I guess this is me thinking out loud more than anything. I'm building a kind of small lean to type addition to my shed. 7x10 base and probably 5' height at the door and whatever gets me good enough pitch at the high back wall.

Considering the size and the whole purpose of it is to store like 3 things (wheel barrel, mower, sweeper for tractor), any reason I can't go 24" on center for the framing instead of 16"? I'm in Southeast PA for climate reference.

Local building codes may vary but when I last checked the IRC it allowed for 2x4 24” oc exterior walls supporting one additional floor and a roof assembly, so you ought to be fine. Use a double top plate and line up the rafters with the studs and you should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

I scraped up some bubbled paint on the window frame. What's the best filler to bring it level before repainting? I have drywall mud and wood filler. I'm willing to buy bondo if it's the best option.