Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean folks, wheres the lie? Christian was, is, and always has been an awful face and if you go through the GDT's history will vindicate me. Not saying he's a bad wrestler, he will always have good matches, but no one wants to see Christian be a vanilla baby face.

He was a really good babyface in AEW and people seemed to really like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I loved babyface christian

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I'm a peep

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I prefer heel Christian, but recognise the use and value of both versions.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Face Edge is better than face Christian but heel Christian is better than heel Edge and face Edge and face Christian.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not so much that Christian is a bad face, he's fine as a babyface, but HOLY poo poo as a heel he's astounding

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Christian is possibly the best heel of this generation imho

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

haunted bong posted:

Christian is possibly the best heel of this generation imho

That's a tough call to make but not unthinkable. I'll say this: Christian is astounding at coming back from near oblivion and melt everybody's faces off as a heel. There must have been multiple times when people were amiably uncaring about him, like "Oh yeah there is Christian, career midcarder" and then he went and kicked Jeff Hardy in the balls or tells everyone he slept with their mom.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
the Christian vs Randy Orton feud is a career highlight too

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah it's not so much that Christian is a bad face, he's fine as a babyface, but HOLY poo poo as a heel he's astounding

As I said he's not gonna go out and stink the place up, but its obvious when you put him in a company where almost every wrestler has something going for them like AEW he's just really mid as a happy to be here baby face. If you grade him on the curve of post smackdown six wwe i could imagine him being the most exciting thing on the card, until he gets his knees cut out from under him.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Christian changing his tron from outwork everyone to worked everyone makes him the best heel of all time

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

Christian changing his tron from outwork everyone to worked everyone makes him the best heel of all time

I do wonder if he had planned that right from the very start because he knew he'd eventually turn heel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RandolphCarter posted:

beaten

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Hoss Corncave posted:

I do wonder if he had planned that right from the very start because he knew he'd eventually turn heel.

there's no way he didn't. it's too good.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Defenestrategy posted:

Overall I think it helped impact, and hurt AEW to a small degree, because the main Storyline Hanger vs Omega felt like it should have naturally progressed to no one beating Omega till Hanger takes the title and that causes a downward spiral of people taking the belts off Omega, but instead we get Christian taking the title causing the spiral? and at the time Christian was still a smiley happy to be here good guy that I was hoping would get put in the back and never seen again until they figured something good out for him.

Points to my own dug grave. I will die on this hill with you comrade.

Unfortunately life did get in the way with Hanger's paternity leave and Kenny badly needing to heal his injuries.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't know much about Japanese women's wrestling but I was curious what the deal with Emi Sakura was. Reactions to her here seem extremely mixed in a way that I don't see for many other performers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't know much about Japanese women's wrestling but I was curious what the deal with Emi Sakura was. Reactions to her here seem extremely mixed in a way that I don't see for many other performers.

she started up ice ribbon and is a enormously influential wrestler for modern joshi. she's been with AEW from the start at the recommendation of kenny omega who has worked with a lot of the women she trained. the majority of people that express disdain for her being booked are typically people that exclusively watched wwe and only picked up on aew when it became trendy and don't bother learning about the wrestlers past whenever they happened to tune in.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Hedgehog Pie posted:

it's because she's got really enthusiastic fans here and that either annoys people or makes them want to tease the fans. Has really nothing to do with her in ring stuff

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

She’s fun but she also has psycho fans who genuinely tried to argue that people doing Queen references in Wembley Stadium was actually deliberately targeted bullying of her by AEW management and talent, and definitely not because Queen and Wembley Stadium share a massive connection in pop culture.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Oh yeah those people are nutjobs i forgot about them

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Fun fact, Emi has been wrestling for 28 years now. Her 4th ever match (at least as far as Cagematch is concerned, Japanese indie records from those days can be spotty) was on the undercard of the legendary IWA Japan King of the Death Match '95 show, headlined by Cactus Jack vs Terry Funk in the exploding ring match, in front of a reported 28,000. Also her first 10 months she wrestled only one opponent in a singles match, Kiyoko Ichiki. IWAJ didn't have much of a women's division...

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Emi is a good wrestler who should be on tv more often

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah she should that backbreaker thing she does after holding the other wrestler upside down is rad

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Emi has been getting a decent amount tv matches now that Dark ended. Also the other women's matches have been better lately, so her not having matches wouldn't be as frustrating.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Thanks for the answers everyone. 🙂 I've seen a few of her matches but I don't watch much current wrestling. The bit about the annoying fans makes sense.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

she also initially signed to AEW by mistake

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

forkboy84 posted:

Her 4th ever match (at least as far as Cagematch is concerned, Japanese indie records from those days can be spotty) was on the undercard of the legendary IWA Japan King of the Death Match '95 show, headlined by Cactus Jack vs Terry Funk in the exploding ring match

I got a vhs copy of this in like 2001 that was mailed to me by a tape trader i met online. Holy crap is this show a slog to get through. I was expecting some pinnacle of violence but like 45 minutes of it was tiger jeet singh bopping people on the forehead with a sword pommel

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

titties posted:

I got a vhs copy of this in like 2001 that was mailed to me by a tape trader i met online. Holy crap is this show a slog to get through. I was expecting some pinnacle of violence but like 45 minutes of it was tiger jeet singh bopping people on the forehead with a sword pommel

Yeah, you can watch the Cactus matches & more or less skip everything else. The Severn vs Tarzan Goto match is fine for what it is, & I remember nothing about Los Cowboys vs The Headhunters but I assume it'd be fun because it's 2 fun teams.

I think it'd involve a 4 figure pay-off before I'd willingly sit through a Tiger Jeet Singh match again. Maybe I'd go as low as £700 if I was feeling good.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Emi lives and breathes wresting but has since the very beginning of her career been nobody's 1st, 2nd, 3rd or nth choice for a champion. She turned up in IWA Japan because every other promotion featuring women's wrestling rejected her from training. The thing is that Emi gets it like few other people do. She's a true heat seeker, she has that dog in her, she's driven to wrestle. Like Chris Jericho, Emi will adjust her work constantly in response to crowd reaction which is catnip to a certain type of fan who wants wrestlers to love wrestling as much as they do and to be reactive to the crowd. So despite her average looks and only fair athletic ability, she's repeatedly become a crowd favourite starting from the bottom in every promotion she's ever been in (except for her own promotions but her promotions are underdog promotions that tend to hit above their weight). She did it in IWA Japan, she did it All Japan Women, she did it in NEO and she did it AEW.

Emi also set the promotional template that lead to the current popularity of women's wrestling in Japan by founding and booking the first four or five years of Ice Ribbon.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 24, 2023

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

fez_machine posted:

Emi lives and breathes wresting but has since the very beginning of her career been nobody's 1st, 2nd, 3rd or nth choice for a champion. She turned up in IWA Japan because every other promotion featuring women's wrestling rejected her from training. The thing is that Emi gets it like few other people do. She's a true heat seeker, she has that dog in her, she's driven to wrestle. Like Chris Jericho, Emi will adjust her work constantly in response to crowd reaction which is catnip to a certain type of fan who wants wrestlers to love wrestling as much as they do and to be reactive to the crowd. So despite her average looks and only fair athletic ability, she's repeatedly become a crowd favourite starting from the bottom in every promotion she's ever been in (except for her own promotions but her promotions are underdog promotions that tend to hit above their weight). She did it in IWA Japan, she did it All Japan Women, she did it in NEO and she did it AEW.

Emi also set the promotional template that lead to the current popularity of women's wrestling in Japan by founding and booking the first four or five years of Ice Ribbon.

I think Emi also surprised a lot of people by rebranding herself during the women's tournament Shida booked, dropping the Freddie Mercury tribute and wrestling two awesome singles matches against VENY and Yuka Sakazaki to show that she could still go hard in the paint. That's what made me a fan. Plus she doesn't pressure her trainees into doing gravure stuff, unlike a lot of joshi trainers.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Here's Emi Sakura doing a topé that would make Darby Allin blush

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1716470785148379243?s=20

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Trying posted:

she also initially signed to AEW by mistake

she what now

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she was offered a contract early on and joked on social media that she didn't realize it was a contract-contract iirc

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

apophenium posted:

Here's Emi Sakura doing a topé that would make Darby Allin blush

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1716470785148379243?s=20

NO THANK YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Venomous posted:

she what now

She thought that she'd signed for an appearance or two pre-pandemic, so stayed in Japan the whole time.

As Lockdown wound up, she called AEW up looking for some US gigs and they told her she was already signed to a full-time deal.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Emi is one of few womens wrestlers on american tv that looks like she is actually wrestling rather than looking like she is acting to wrestling. Hard to explain, Its not like I dont like watching women wrestle, its just something always looks off, like either the ring is too big for them to run the ropes, no one taught them what a collar and elbow tie is actually for, or they dont lay in strikes snuggly enough, but Emi does all of these well.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Emi wrestles like she's trying to kill someone using her entire body as the bludgeoning weapon and it owns

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

Emi is one of few womens wrestlers on american tv that looks like she is actually wrestling rather than looking like she is acting to wrestling. Hard to explain, Its not like I dont like watching women wrestle, its just something always looks off, like either the ring is too big for them to run the ropes, no one taught them what a collar and elbow tie is actually for, or they dont lay in strikes snuggly enough, but Emi does all of these well.

Up until fairly recently American female pro wrestlers weren't trained to wrestle well because the mouthbreathers and perverts who run American wrestling schools didn't take them seriously. It sucks and it's not fair to the women involved. Emi, being a joshi, was trained in a dojo environment in a country that takes women's wrestling more seriously and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Thanks for the answers everyone. 🙂 I've seen a few of her matches but I don't watch much current wrestling. The bit about the annoying fans makes sense.
Fans were also conditioned for decades to believe "3 minute matches = sucks" and "not on main TV show = sucks", and it's hard to shake that mentality since fans of the biggest company in the world still buy into it. But if you ever see Dark/ROH jobbers from the past few years in their home promotions, some of them will blow your mind.

CombineThresher posted:

Up until fairly recently American female pro wrestlers weren't trained to wrestle well because the mouthbreathers and perverts who run American wrestling schools didn't take them seriously. It sucks and it's not fair to the women involved. Emi, being a joshi, was trained in a dojo environment in a country that takes women's wrestling more seriously and it shows.
I was talking to an indie wrestler about this recently, and she was saying how basically until the Divas era ended, literally the only style of wrestling women learned was "woman wrestler". They were generic on purpose, because they couldn't show up the pretty models who couldn't wrestle.

So now when western fans see a woman's style break out of that with a focus on technical/lucha/puro styles, they REALLY stand out. That's also why a lot of WWE fans think some of the NXT newbies are good, because they have no frame of reference to see how badly they're screwing up their flashy moves.