Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Luffy knows what needs doing and trusts everyone else to do their part, nothing complicated, it's all about helping out his friends on the way to the treasure in the Grand Line. He still thinks there's four Raftels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

RC Cola posted:

I literally cannot wait for this loving chapter. I'm dead

I almost died, but then I turned myself into a cyborg.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

word on the street already is that this week’s chapter is pretty wild, so maybe stay out of twitter trending or any other internet dark alleys

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Every chapter is wild

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I almost died, but then I turned myself into a cyborg.

luckily I ate brook's fruit so I can see read the upcoming chapter but it was a close one!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Luffy wants to obtain the One Piece so he can become the King of the Pirates. He's only really interested in things that directly relate to that goal (gathering crewmembers, defeating Emperors, collecting Poneglyphs) and stopping people who hurt his friends.

well there is that idea that he has some other dream, that roger also had, that isn't being king of the pirates. and we know roger didn't want to be king of the pirates because he said people just started calling him that after he got to laugh tale

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

RC Cola posted:

I literally cannot wait for this loving chapter. I'm dead

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Twitter is a bad place to find spoilers, but it's a great place to find surprisingly detailed meme art.

edit: bleh, yeah I didn't look at it close or critically enough to id it as ai art immediately. Will go flog myself.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 24, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

AI ‘art’ 😬

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Snitch Rat Shanks, EXPOSED

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

word on the street already is that this week’s chapter is pretty wild, so maybe stay out of twitter trending or any other internet dark alleys
Can't see how it wouldn't be given we're starting a highly-anticipated flashback which is likely to resolve at least 5 separate long-term mysteries

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

*every chapter since the start of this arc* wow stay off the internet this one is crazy everyone!!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

*every chapter since the start of this arc* wow stay off the internet this one is crazy everyone!!
*me reading gaimon chapter* wow stay off the internet this one is crazy everyone!!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

To be fair, we are at the top of Kuma's flashback, which is one of the longest running mysteries of the series.

No break next week is being thrown around

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What the gently caress is a gaimon

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What the gently caress is a gaimon

Gai sounds like gay which means happy so obviously Joyboy

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gologle posted:

Hey, question: Is Luffy aware of any of the plot of One Piece?

My man is the plot of One Piece

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Eiba posted:

I would not be surprised at all if, over the course of this flashback, we see Dragon was a young Marine under Garp, and whatever happens here is what inspires Dragon to destroy the unacceptably hosed up world order.

I am expecting to see Garp and Dragon as father and son hero duo and then at the end Dragon give a gently caress you dad speech after being told her can't free all of his new friends.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 24, 2023

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

who thought it was a good idea to have a siren going during the katakuri fight?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Twitter is a bad place to find spoilers, but it's a great place to find surprisingly detailed meme art.

Based on the text on that phone I'm assuming the "surprisingly detailed" part comes from typing,"Shanks from One Piece as a rat" into a computer. :mad:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it has two arms

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ChopperGang MEMES

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

ChopperGang MEMES

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
If the question is "Is Luffy aware of the current ongoings of the world." He knows the basics, and has Robin on order that if it's important that he does know, to tell him. But he's also Luffy, so if it's not vital that he knows this right now, he doesn't care. I mean that defines Luffy, that was the whole premise behind Arlong Park that Luffy, knowing absolutely nothing about Nami's situation and not caring about the 'why' of her situation, is still willing to go all out and fight for her.

It's also why for backstories like Doffy, Luffy doesn't actually learn it. He doesn't know what hardships you went through and how you became the bastard you are, and also that poo poo ain't gonna save you from a punch in the face. He left the Kaido fight knowing as much about Kaido as he did going into the fight, he does not need to know that Kaido was enslaved as a young man and his obsession with the Joyboy concept and a desire to find Joyboy. Those things are context for us, the reader, They aren't going to halt the punches.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luffy does sometimes reveal that he remembers a surprising amount of Lore Stuff like Pluton.

We never do get inside his head. Boy could have already worked out what happened in the Void Century but won't tell anyone because that's Robin's dream.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pluton falls under the cool robots category of stuff boys know.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
luffy isn’t rude enough to forget his mom’s supervillain plans

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

do we ever get internal luffy dialogue? he could be a genius...

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Lpzie posted:

do we ever get internal luffy dialogue? he could be a genius...

Oda has made it a point to never have Luffy thinking to himself because he genuinely doesn't. Whatever he's thinking, he just says it.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

This is Luffy's internal monologue:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is literally the most I could find. The left isn't even a thought, and the bottom right is more thematic than anything, but thankfully, the top right one is wonderfully in character.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scholtz posted:

This is literally the most I could find. The left isn't even a thought, and the bottom right is more thematic than anything, but thankfully, the top right one is wonderfully in character.

I genuinely never thought about it, but holy crap he has never had any internal monologue.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmao...omg

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Asuron posted:

I genuinely never thought about it, but holy crap he has never had any internal monologue.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Asuron posted:

yeah!

like, obviously it's because he's an all-action head empty kind of guy who wears his heart and his braincell on his sleeve

but this has the side effect of making him actually feel more larger-than-life, like he's truly a legend in the making and all we know about him are his actions and the testimonies from the people around him

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Anyway, it's less that he never thinks and more than he usually speaks aloud what he is thinking.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha yeah, he was being uncharacteristically thoughtful there because he'd decided to sneak in. Normally he just blurts out whatever he's thinking out loud, and even at Impel Down it wasn't long before he gave up on the sneaking and was just blaring everything at full volume again :allears:

Edit: One of my favorite gags is when Usopp is saying they need to keep quiet and not expose themselves and the very next panel is Luffy answering an emergency Den Den Mushi call with,"HI THIS IS MONKEY D. LUFFY I'M GOING TO BE THE KING OF THE PIRATES!"