Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
is shonen jump not working for anyone else? Most of the manga are showing "Product Image Coming Soon" with the only exception being Jiang Shi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Desperate Character posted:

is shonen jump not working for anyone else? Most of the manga are showing "Product Image Coming Soon" with the only exception being Jiang Shi.

I assume it breaks a bit around Sunday update time cause everyone is flooding to the site. Usually switch over to Manga Plus if SJ isn't working.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kagurabachi has my interest now, i just hope it eases off the gas pedal a little bit. most new manga are obligated to get into the action at a breakneck pace but nobody wants another ginka and gluna

and it looks like ichinose family might finally be winding down?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck: Yay, Andy is back.

MamaYuyu: We have some rudimentary explanation of sigil sorcery now. I won't be surprised if it turns out that Escaba is faking it and this is how he decided to train Corleo.

Kagurabachi: Cool, I guess. Continues being competent, but not super interesting.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. I don't like this one bit. :ohdear:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. I don't like this one bit. :ohdear:
Yeah it's great, the story is moving along fiercely and it's really exciting

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Kill Blue: "Aw drat, he's 1000 percent my type" with the look of disdain is a mood

Witch Watch: Really seems like this might be the final arc :(

Lt. Lizard posted:

MamaYuyu: We have some rudimentary explanation of sigil sorcery now. I won't be surprised if it turns out that Escaba is faking it and this is how he decided to train Corleo.

That was my read on it from the beginning

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Witch Watch: Really seems like this might be the final arc :(

And then end with her rediscovering her feelings and aging back up. That seems pretty likely. This sequence has been pretty cool though. This mangaka can definitly write a climax.

My girlfriend: I guess now is the winter of our discontent?

Undead: poo poo, Andy's backish. It had better be temporary. Yes, I know he said it would tbe temp

Sakamoto: Raising up the stakes, solid chapter. Good humor.

Roboco: All right, who's taking the bet that there's a Roboco in the space ship? I'm also loving this dumb arc. We'd better see what happens when we kill Gorilla, he's the anomaly.

Oxxidation posted:

kagurabachi has my interest now, i just hope it eases off the gas pedal a little bit. most new manga are obligated to get into the action at a breakneck pace but nobody wants another ginka and gluna

and it looks like ichinose family might finally be winding down?

What about this chapter specifically caught your interest? It seemed pretty bog standard. Though I guess the war bit has some promise?

MMA: Speaking of competent, this is trucking along nicely. I guess we're getting to know the rival now.

vanquished boner
Mar 11, 2013

helck owns so much. he’s such a chad

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something Kagurabachi is lacking is something that makes you go "holy poo poo, this guy's unhinged!" Ashibi in Fabricant 100 had lots of moments like it. The MC in Kagurabachi had their dad murdered and their entire life blown to smithereens. They've decided to train for 3 years to get stronger and dedicated their life to killing his father's murderers. Yet the way he's portrayed makes it come across like he's bored with this.

Also, funny thing just happened. I've seen people mention Undead Unluck in this server I'm in and lots of folks seem to like Andy. I felt like an outsider for being the only one who thinks he's a creep lol.

vanquished boner
Mar 11, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Also, funny thing just happened. I've seen people mention Undead Unluck in this server I'm in and lots of folks seem to like Andy. I felt like an outsider for being the only one who thinks he's a creep lol.

going directly to helck after trying this was such a breath of fresh air!!! helck is such a heartwarming big brother figure :kimchi: it’s way funnier too

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Witch Watch continues to be a good series that could be great if it could just drop the pointless "witch" character.

Seriously, everything about that girl's existence is just an endless train of plot contrivances rather than her actually getting to do anything for her own reasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

vanquished boner posted:

going directly to helck after trying this was such a breath of fresh air!!! helck is such a heartwarming big brother figure :kimchi: it’s way funnier too
all done with Helck? well, do I have good news for you, the author of Helck has started a new series, Volundio: Divergent Sword Saga

it's on Comikey, so it costs money(typical "buy a bunch of keys, each chapter costs x keys" setup) but it's really not that expensive. and Volundio is extremely good, I might say I like it more than Helck so far!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rand Brittain posted:

Witch Watch continues to be a good series that could be great if it could just drop the pointless "witch" character.

Seriously, everything about that girl's existence is just an endless train of plot contrivances rather than her actually getting to do anything for her own reasons.

Yeah I definitely do kinda wish The Most Powerful Witch In A Millennium had the strength to do anything besides sacrifice herself for her friends. Once this resolves, I hope we get to see her be Actually Powerful for a little bit. Maybe get her own arc to do some stuff herself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, although it's not just that she doesn't really get to be powerful as that every piece of magic she knows is an absurd plot device that points directly to whatever beat the author wants to do next; it never feels like a tool that exists because it might actually be useful. (And as a result Nico mostly winds up feeling like an idiot because once again she's decided to use a spell that is definitely going to go awry, because her spells always go awry.)

What I'm saying is that this would be a more interesting story if Morihito was dating Kanshi, because they actually have chemistry and character traits.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

amigolupus posted:

He massively improves after the first few episodes. It honestly feels to me like some editor at Jump really likes the 'comedy pervert' archetype and won't run a series that doesn't have one, but once the series has got noticed by someone else they can quietly drop it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elfface posted:

It honestly feels to me like some editor at Jump really likes the 'comedy pervert' archetype and won't run a series that doesn't have one, but once the series has got noticed by someone else they can quietly drop it.

This is peak "everything I dislike in a Jump manga must somehow be the editor's fault."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

What about this chapter specifically caught your interest? It seemed pretty bog standard. Though I guess the war bit has some promise?

Not OP but so far I do think that Kagurabachi has pretty interesting paneling, even if the flow of the action is a bit hard to follow at times. The one bit where he's thinking about his No Good Horrible Day shows that off pretty well IMO.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, although it's not just that she doesn't really get to be powerful as that every piece of magic she knows is an absurd plot device that points directly to whatever beat the author wants to do next; it never feels like a tool that exists because it might actually be useful. (And as a result Nico mostly winds up feeling like an idiot because once again she's decided to use a spell that is definitely going to go awry, because her spells always go awry.)

What I'm saying is that this would be a more interesting story if Morihito was dating Kanshi, because they actually have chemistry and character traits.

Of course they always go awry. It's a gag manga. Them going awry is the central engine for maybe half of all the chapters in the whole drat series. (And they still succeed pretty often anyway. They just succeed in a way that encourages or resolves further shenanigans).

The basic plot of an average non-main-plot Witch Watch chapter is "Nico's bubbly and outgoing nature makes her try to help one of her many friends at school using magic, magic creates problems, the rest of the cast has to deal with it". Remove that, and you don't have Witch Watch.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I kind of agree, just looking at the early chapters shows the author has a pretty good grasp on how to make a shot look visually appealing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Read more Undead Unluck, 75 chapters in now.

This is a good goddamn manga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

Read more Undead Unluck, 75 chapters in now.

This is a good goddamn manga

I think Undead Unluck is the only time I've ever been convinced a manga will be cancelled early on and then had it survive (not because I didn't like it, since I did, but it just gave me "won't survive" vibes for whatever reason).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course they always go awry. It's a gag manga. Them going awry is the central engine for maybe half of all the chapters in the whole drat series. (And they still succeed pretty often anyway. They just succeed in a way that encourages or resolves further shenanigans).

The basic plot of an average non-main-plot Witch Watch chapter is "Nico's bubbly and outgoing nature makes her try to help one of her many friends at school using magic, magic creates problems, the rest of the cast has to deal with it". Remove that, and you don't have Witch Watch.

Yeah, I get that; it just means that Nico never gets to do anything but decide to apply a spell to a situation even though the spell is clearly tailor-made to cause hijinks rather than be useful. She never really gets to make choices; she just arrives in a situations where she can use a spell dumbly, or declare the chapter over and go home. It leads to her being the clear weakest part of a manga where she is ostensibly the main character.

To put it another way, she's ostensibly very powerful, but in practice she just kind of gets what she's given.

It's a shame because there's stuff that could be done with Nico? Like, I don't think the manga really understands how toxic and infantilizing it is that witches are supposed to be kept away from "dark" emotions, lest they go warlock, but if it did, there's meat in that.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 24, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
We can have chapters that look into that but in exchange we have to get rid of those essay chapters about writing manga and the awful manga parody chapters.

Wait, that actually sounds like a good time. Damnit.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the awful manga parody chapters just had a hilarious payoff a few chapters ago though

edit: my sole qualm with witch watch is that the sket dance crossover chapters were underwhelming

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Replace them with more chapters about denim.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

We can have chapters that look into that but in exchange we have to get rid of those essay chapters about writing manga and the awful manga parody chapters.

Wait, that actually sounds like a good time. Damnit.

I'm pretty sure trying to eliminate Udon Mirage is a felony offense in most countries.

(In the remainder, it's grounds for immediate execution without trial.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll take my chances.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Udon Mirage is the best part of Witch Watch

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Silver2195 posted:

This is peak "everything I dislike in a Jump manga must somehow be the editor's fault."

More like 'this one thing I dislike that shows up in multiple manga'.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Maybe the ppl drawing and creating the stories for shonen media are just horny, op

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Udon Mirage owns and the payoff with it showing up to end Kanshi's fight is one of the best laughs I've had all year.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm really enjoying MMA, the author is really good at introducing characters and giving you their deal in just a few pages. Any one of these fighters in these recent chapters could stick around for a long time.

Two on Ice almost grabbed me back with this last chapter. I'm a sucker for gender based sports pathos, even if it's well worn territory. The female MC getting cut by her coach and turned into persona non grata because she wanted to focus on pairs rather than follow her singles prodigy life was a strong character beat.

Too bad the manga is more focused on the other MC right now whose motivation is just, uh, "I want to skate with this near stranger" I guess?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm really enjoying MMA, the author is really good at introducing characters and giving you their deal in just a few pages. Any one of these fighters in these recent chapters could stick around for a long time.

yeah the author is really doing a lot with minimal pages. i really like his style.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: I guess it's not a big surprise that Gero is extremely bad with aggressive and pushy women. And Himi is that, but I think she has a pretty good balance between being a bit of an rear end and being sympathetic. Aaand we are getting another opponent capable of brainwashing people, because I think it's pretty safe to say it's not the Sound user. Should be fun.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Two on Ice almost grabbed me back with this last chapter. I'm a sucker for gender based sports pathos, even if it's well worn territory. The female MC getting cut by her coach and turned into persona non grata because she wanted to focus on pairs rather than follow her singles prodigy life was a strong character beat.

Too bad the manga is more focused on the other MC right now whose motivation is just, uh, "I want to skate with this near stranger" I guess?

Yeah, the male MC's motivations are extremely shallow (and would be creepy if he wasn't a kid), but giving him an opportunity to figure out what he wants to get out of skating will hopefully help a little. He definitely needs something atm

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess it's only natural for gero to meet ladies who aren't great eventually. but well, i'd put her below the scary beast clan lady for now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marriagetoxin: I guess it's not a big surprise that Gero is extremely bad with aggressive and pushy women. And Himi is that, but I think she has a pretty good balance between being a bit of an rear end and being sympathetic. Aaand we are getting another opponent capable of brainwashing people, because I think it's pretty safe to say it's not the Sound user. Should be fun.

I would love to see the sound user again though. His violin attack was great.

Not a fan of this potential girlfriend.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: The manga has taken a different turn from where it started, and now we have a timeskip which can be a sign that manga is or could be axed. It is a bit meta that the latest chapter has Haruka's internal thoughts berating himself for how his kindness (e.g. stopping himself from cheating on Kisaki even though it could have been thrilling and have led to a twisting narrative) has essentially left him with a sparse memory, and in reflection, we, the reader, have recently gotten very little of Haruka's life because there is no "excitement". I hope the timeskip leads to a nuance turn in the narrative, but it might be the final destination.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Good news, everyone:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1717405187172716976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've been enjoying Ichinose Family, but this is the right move. It's not a story that should go on for very long.