Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Lost Boys (1987) - Absolute classic. I hate to say "they don't make em like this anymore", but they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

more hosed up than i thought going into it and for the first like half hour. expected a cheesy b-movie remake and got The Thing on the scale of They Live. i get that it's reductive to offer a comparison like that when describing something but that's genuinely what it felt like to me, just that creeping feeling of "trust no one" on the scale of an entire city if not nation while bein gross as hell too when the special effects called for it. weirdass cast but they made it work, fledgling Jeff Goldblum strutted his stuff and lol at Leonard Nemoy being a massive dick whenever he was on screen. good poo poo even with some weirdass camera shots at points

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A couple of non-exscreamvaganza horror movies:

The Brides of Dracula: sequel to the Christopher Lee Dracula movie. Peter Cushing is great as always, I liked that this one had him in polite society about as much as it had him investigating crypts so you got to see him switch between a charming gentlemen and a severe holy warrior and completely nail both roles. Lots of cool visuals, particularly liked the end where the camera watches from above as the head vampire smokes and dies inside the shadow of a giant cross. Didn't love it as much as Horror of Dracula, but still a fun ride and I'm looking forward to continuing with Hammer's Dracula films.

The Haunting (1963): Honestly when I started this one I thought it was House on Haunted Hill and was a ways into it when I realized that these are separate movies lol. But I'm glad I made the mistake. This is an adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House, probably my favorite horror novel and one of my favorite novels period and this did a surprisingly good job at adapting a novel that I thought would be difficult to do. It generally keeps things pretty subtle and doesn't sensationalize the events of the book like I thought they might be tempted to do when translating to a visual medium--you still never see the ghost at any point or anything like that. Great performances from the Eleanor and Doctor Markway actors. The scene in the book that scared me bad enough that I got up and locked my bedroom door, just in case, where Eleanor and Theo are hiding in Nell's room and can hear the spirit gibbering and laughing to itself as it stomps around and tears up Theo's room next door, got me pretty good in the movie too, which pleased me. I don't scare easy when it comes to fiction but something about that scene gets under my skin so I was glad to see the movie pull it off. Good time overall.

I also did the Leo Dicaprio point thing irl when Doctor Markway said the "Look, I know the supernatural isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen" line that got sampled in that one White Zombie song.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Killers of the flower moon.

Its good

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've been watching a lot of taskmaster uk lately

and caught a few of the newer films.

new tmnt movie wasn't bad but definitely a "seth rogan was given money to be seth rogan" kind of movie, so a 7/10 at best.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Raising Arizona

i went in having read a bit about how it's one of the Coen Bros more straightforward/lighter comedies but it felt much more poignant than that, a familycentric dramedy imo. there's some really funny and more slapstick parts like the car chase where the convenience store clerk just keeps running after Nic Cage to shoot at him and there's just more and more dogs and the fight scene in the trailer showing how shittily it's constructed but most of the humor still comes from the absurd dialogue & the plot circumstances which is what i expect from the Coen Bros. Nic Cage played being a dopey yet devoted ex-con real well and Frances McDormand was great as always even if she was pretty much a bit part here. the ending dream sequence is gonna stick with me i think. in the pantheon of Coen Bros i've seen, it's below No Country and Lebowski but above Caesar (Fargo's also there but i'd have to rewatch it when i'm not completely hammered like the first time)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

Raising Arizona

i went in having read a bit about how it's one of the Coen Bros more straightforward/lighter comedies but it felt much more poignant than that, a familycentric dramedy imo. there's some really funny and more slapstick parts like the car chase where the convenience store clerk just keeps running after Nic Cage to shoot at him and there's just more and more dogs and the fight scene in the trailer showing how shittily it's constructed but most of the humor still comes from the absurd dialogue & the plot circumstances which is what i expect from the Coen Bros. Nic Cage played being a dopey yet devoted ex-con real well and Frances McDormand was great as always even if she was pretty much a bit part here. the ending dream sequence is gonna stick with me i think. in the pantheon of Coen Bros i've seen, it's below No Country and Lebowski but above Caesar (Fargo's also there but i'd have to rewatch it when i'm not completely hammered like the first time)

That’s my favorite Coen Bros film. Everyone absolutely crushes their roles.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

yeah nobody felt miscast at all and everyone did well. i think what holds it back for me is just having a kind of identity crisis with the comedy/drama stuff that isn't as seamless as it is in Lebowski and some shots that kinda linger or repeat themselves without really adding much, like the gas station sequence with Hi's con friends

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

herculon posted:

i love the classic monologue at the end. really beautiful flick.

Whiplash

absolutely terrifying lol. jk simmons and miles tellers are electric together, with simmon's performance being particularly sinister. probably a top 10 thriller for me.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I got the tude now posted:

Whiplash

absolutely terrifying lol. jk simmons and miles tellers are electric together, with simmon's performance being particularly sinister. probably a top 10 thriller for me.

I loving love this movie so much

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

I loving love this movie so much

it's great because not only is fletcher a great antagonist for the protag to struggle against, fletcher also emblematic of the internal struggle the protag has to face and ultimately comes up short.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Whiplash is one of the most terrifying movies i've ever watched and it's not even a horror movie. one of the best in the last decade

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i like to tell myself i'd stand up to someone like fletcher but i'd 100% cry lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

keep your hands off eizouken! rewatch. fuckin incredible show. media about making media but its charming and heartfelt and not stuck up its own rear end. kanamori pwns

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

keep your hands off eizouken! rewatch. fuckin incredible show. media about making media but its charming and heartfelt and not stuck up its own rear end. kanamori pwns

yup

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYS_8lT4t0

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Whiplash

I love this movie but I’ve also only seen it once because it gives me incredible anxiety lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Better Watch Out (2016) - An absolute nightmare of a movie, in the bad way. It starts off goofy & silly enough and I was kinda digging it until the big reveal, which, no spoilers cos who gives a gently caress: It tries to be baby Funny Games and it falls flat in every possible way. It's so insanely bad lol, don't watch it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
School Without End - Italian unions in the 70s negotiated 150 hours of paid leave for adult education. This is a short-ish documentary about a group of women attending a school run by a feminist activist. It's got something like 10 sections in the form of montages narrated by each woman's writing about her experience on the course, reflections on her own life and lack of autonomy, selfhood, as woman and mother, etc. Really beautiful.

I saw it in a warm, dark theatre and these happily chattering Italian matrons made me nod off at least 4 or 5 times. Wanted to curl up in front of an oven and nap like a dog

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

can understand entirely now its massive cult status. completely insane display of decadence with some of the most memorable songs from a movie ive heard in recent memory. everyone may be giving 110% but Tim Curry is at 150%, just a pure force of nature at all times. some uh rather dated aspects but they're not major in the long run

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Tim Curry's a fuckin legend and that reminds me to watch Clue (1985) again the first chance I get

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

clue holds up good.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I introduced my partner to Tropic Thunder last night, which was great for me to revisit after all these years! :D So many great quotes in that movie - I can't believe how many I'd forgotten about, after all these years.

Also, apparently Owen Wilson was originally meant to be Tug's agent, "the Pecker". But drat, Matthew McConaughey does it way better than I think Owen would, no offence to him. He has such memorable quotes and scenes, all delivered perfectly!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

heat (1995)

shes got a GREAT rear end

e; also loved that that line was totally ad-libbed and scared the poo poo out of hank azaria when pacino dropped it lol

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 29, 2023

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

RIP Matthew Perry? holy poo poo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

woah

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what in the god drat

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Mulholland Drive (2001) - 10/10. Somehow better every time I rewatch it

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Whole Nine Yards

Very simple and nothing fancy of an early 2000s comedy, but holds up fairly well overall.

RIP to Fallout fan and gamer Matthew Perry

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!

i like to tell myself i'd stand up to someone like fletcher but i'd 100% cry lol

I was scared of him and it was a movie lol, I hid under my bed

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Been marathoning Picket Fences as background noise

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Evil Dead Rises. Big pile of puke IMO

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

watching this now, already lolled several times

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just watch demons 2

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

somehow worse than The Haunted Mansion

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

absolute dogshit. even worse than the remake from a few years ago

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ted

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the lost boys - pretty sweet, lot of fun, campy as hell
misery - good poo poo, kathy bates ftw. the scene where he gets his ankles snapped is fuckin raw lol
encounters of the spooky kind - super fun, lot of good kung fu, lot of good gags, hong kong cinema ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Addams Family (1991). Still really good. Just perfect casting, especially Raul Julia and Christopher Lloyd.