Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

When do the Oilers press the panic button

I hope they fire Woodcroft so RNH can get his 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

sucked to lose with 5 seconds left but oh well the game had like a billion penalties and we were down 3-1 in the 3rd so i'll take it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

I hope they fire Woodcroft so RNH can get his 9th.

They will.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bard Maddox posted:

perhaps, if they give Jack Campbell twenty or thirty more starts, he might be able to turn it around

e: more seriously though, this shot chart is grody for the Oilers. just a complete failure to let the Wild get that many high danger shots

Look their #1 center is out what do you want them to do

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would simply find another #1 center.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The 8-1 loss transfered the Canucks October loser curse onto Edmonton. So expect the Oilers to finish the year 30-3-2 now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

perhaps, if they give Jack Campbell twenty or thirty more starts, he might be able to turn it around

e: more seriously though, this shot chart is grody for the Oilers. just a complete failure to let the Wild get that many high danger shots

This just looks historically accurate for an Oilers v Wild game.

Campbell was about the only player in the D zone putting in a shift. He was pretty good for as many goals as they gave up. Saved a bunch of high danger chances where the D was just flailing around.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I like that Bouchard is hard at work trying to steal the "defenceman least skilled at the playing of defence" award from Nurse right now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jhet posted:

\Campbell was about the only player in the D zone putting in a shift. He was pretty good for as many goals as they gave up. Saved a bunch of high danger chances where the D was just flailing around.

That doesn't sound like the Edmonton Oilers at all!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The schedule has been a real cupcake so far but Boston being undefeated and only allowing 7 goals through 6 games is pretty good.

Also: Matthew Poitras for Calder

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I would simply find another #1 center.

RNH?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The schedule has been a real cupcake so far but Boston being undefeated and only allowing 7 goals through 6 games is pretty good.

Also: Matthew Poitras for Calder

As I said in the predictions thread, I will believe the Bruins are actually bad when they miss the playoffs convincingly and not before. I'm pretty happy with that call so far. Somehow that team just always finds a way to fill holes in the lineup and win. I hate to say it but if there's such a thing as a winning culture, the Bruins have it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

As I said in the predictions thread, I will believe the Bruins are actually bad when they miss the playoffs convincingly and not before. I'm pretty happy with that call so far. Somehow that team just always finds a way to fill holes in the lineup and win. I hate to say it but if there's such a thing as a winning culture, the Bruins have it.

Extremely same

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://x.com/GinoHard_/status/1716982118738534815?s=20

Pens rookie John Ludvig managed to knock himself out with a big hit in his first NHL game last night. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Lol at Faksa being just fine

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

https://x.com/GinoHard_/status/1716982118738534815?s=20

Pens rookie John Ludvig managed to knock himself out with a big hit in his first NHL game last night. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

It looks like Ludvig got Faksa's helmet in the face on that hit. Weird

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought Faksa's stick went up into Ludvig's jaw or something.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Tkachuk isn’t getting suspended for the instigator from his fight with Tuch, and it seems like the reason is because the Sens scored 2 goals right after the fight and made it a close game. NHL is Calvinball.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
We all laughed at Boston whiffing on 3 straight 1st round picks, and that somehow only made them stronger. I am never going to doubt the Bruins again, either.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

We all laughed at Boston whiffing on 3 straight 1st round picks, and that somehow only made them stronger. I am never going to doubt the Bruins again, either.

Those three picks transferred all their energy to 25th overall selection David Pastrnak.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bub spank posted:

Tkachuk isn’t getting suspended for the instigator from his fight with Tuch, and it seems like the reason is because the Sens scored 2 goals right after the fight and made it a close game. NHL is Calvinball.

https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/1717192237732250104?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

It literally turned into a fight fest though???? What the gently caress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

While I support a "gently caress it, cool stuff happened" rule that is dumb.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Also, I didn’t expect Tarasenko to be any good this year, but he’s got 8 points in 6 games and is +6 playing on the third line and 2nd unit PP. He looked awful in the preseason and in his first game, but then he was placed on a line with rookie centre Ridly Greig in game 2 and they developed instant chemistry.

Through 6 games the Sens have 7 players at or over PPG, and another 3 that are 1 point under PPG. Scoring doesn’t look like it’s going to be an issue this year, but goaltending and a d-core stacked with rovers is going to hold them back. At this point I feel like Chabot has been fully replaced by Sanderson and Chychrun, and they really need to move him out and bring in another defensive-minded right hand D.

e: also Kubalik suuuucks and it’s amazing that he was all Pierre was able to get for DeBrincat.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bub spank posted:

Is Tuch getting suspended for the flagrant attempt to severely injure Tkachuk? No? Then color me unsurprised Tkachuk isn't getting suspended either.

The league office can't come right out and say "well Tuch tried to destroy his knee so kicking his rear end was justified in this case" because they don't want to answer the followup question "well then what discipline is Tuch getting for the attempt to injure?" So they gotta make up whatever bullshit.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 25, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Toffoli was a good add eh

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
tkachuk got his hands up in tuch's face on a hit right before tuch retaliated. two guys took runs at each other and then fought, everything's square go next who cares

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should kill them both.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Who are some solid players on bad teams and expiring contracts who will probably be available at the trade deadline? Holtz is coming along and all but I want NJ to add a kickass player to their third line so they can really go.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is Tuch getting suspended for the flagrant attempt to severely injure Tkachuk? No? Then color me unsurprised Tkachuk isn't getting suspended either.

The league office can't come right out and say "well Tuch tried to destroy his knee so kicking his rear end was justified in this case" because they don't want to answer the followup question "well then what discipline is Tuch getting for the attempt to injure?" So they gotta make up whatever bullshit.

Tkachuk cross-checked Tuch in the head, so Tuch hip-checked him which led to the fight. Tkachuk 100% started it there’s no question. Here’s the whole sequence:

https://twitter.com/everydaysens/status/1716988151158407419?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

grack posted:

It looks like Ludvig got Faksa's helmet in the face on that hit. Weird

yeah there was a different angle that was from the other side that made the helmet to jaw contact look alot more impactful.. I think Ludvig was just very unfortunate to take a blow from the top of Faksa's helmet in the jaw area and that knocked him out cold..

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I know. I saw it. Not that I needed to, "Brady Tkachuk" is all the necessary information really.

I'm not signing off on the logic I cited myself. But it is what the league office is thinking. The people running the NHL like the Tkachuks. Tom Wilson is their hero. But even they aren't dim enough to admit it publicly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I know. I saw it. Not that I needed to, "Brady Tkachuk" is all the necessary information really.

I'm not signing off on the logic I cited myself. But it is what the league office is thinking. The people running the NHL like the Tkachuks. Tom Wilson is their hero. But even they aren't dim enough to admit it publicly.

Obviously not the league itself, but the Blues pass around Keith Tkachuks old helmet after each game.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-present-jofa-tkachuk-helmet-as-team-s-player-of-the-game-award

Thankfully they don’t base it off whether the team wins or it would never get passed around.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Eric the Mauve posted:

I get the hate for Matthew, because he’s a giant rat, but Brady is basically the epitome of playing the “right way” and “good old time hockey”. He hits a lot, but his hits are generally clean, he gets into fights, and he otherwise plays a skilled power forward game without running goalies like Kreider does. I think the Brady hate is almost entirely a result of Matthew running around the league for a few years before Brady came in.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/1717192237732250104?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

It literally turned into a fight fest though???? What the gently caress.

it's more because coaches would just put out their 4th lines and enforcers to start fights " to send a message" that the league was cracking down on when they made that rule

If it's more "organic fighting" then they probably shrug and let it go

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

fawning deference posted:

Who are some solid players on bad teams and expiring contracts who will probably be available at the trade deadline? Holtz is coming along and all but I want NJ to add a kickass player to their third line so they can really go.

Elias Pettersson.

But seriously, looking at upcoming UFAs, unsure who would actually be available this early. Elias Lindholm is a UFA, but who knows where Calgary will be closer to the deadline.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I think Hanifin and Lindholm would be very good complimentary pieces for a contending team and could get Calgary some serious draft capital... so expect 8 year deals soon!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I forgot that Lindholm is probably on the outs. If the Jets are bad, Nino would be available. I'd love him on NJ.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

tbh I think Tkachuk should count himself lucky that he didn't do way more damage with that last punch while he was falling on top of an already prone Tuch

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bub spank posted:

I get the hate for Matthew, because he’s a giant rat, but Brady is basically the epitome of playing the “right way” and “good old time hockey”. He hits a lot, but his hits are generally clean, he gets into fights, and he otherwise plays a skilled power forward game without running goalies like Kreider does. I think the Brady hate is almost entirely a result of Matthew running around the league for a few years before Brady came in.

Believe me, if he played for the Maple Leafs instead of the Senators you would detest him too.

Misanthrope posted:

I think Hanifin and Lindholm would be very good complimentary pieces for a contending team and could get Calgary some serious draft capital... so expect 8 year deals soon!

Semimonthly reminder that Noah Hanifin is a very overrated player who constantly screws plays up because his instincts are awful. Whoever trades for him and gleefully plays him 18 a night is going to get worse and wind up mystified trying to figure out what happened. (lol it will 1000% be the Oilers or Maple Leafs) He looks a LOT better than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fawning deference posted:

Anthony Mantha

:shepface: