Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have about 2 cups worth of assorted chili peppers from my patio plants. It's probably the last batch I'll get before the frost kills them (can't bring them inside because my cats try to eat the leaves), and I was wondering what I could do with them.

Some sort of pickle? It's not nearly enough to ferment into sauce, plus I've got like a gallon of my hatch chili sauce left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you have a sealer you can ferment without a brine and then make flakes and a Tabasco like

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scientastic posted:

Errr, never heard of a little thing called a brie and bacon baguette?

Went this route for some of the brie:

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lunch: Brie de meaux, bacon, tomato, rocket, onion relish and butter in a wholegrain baguette

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Attempt #3 at yogurt also failed with just not developing a strong flavor. I suspect that the yogurt I'm working from is too old and has too weak of a culture to inoculate my milk with, so for attempt #4 I'll be buying fresh. :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Went this route for some of the brie:
gorgeous

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Attempt #3 at yogurt also failed with just not developing a strong flavor. I suspect that the yogurt I'm working from is too old and has too weak of a culture to inoculate my milk with, so for attempt #4 I'll be buying fresh. :(

It could be the the yogurt you’re using contains a direct-set culture, which doesn’t really work for inoculating m subsequent batches.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Annath posted:

I have about 2 cups worth of assorted chili peppers from my patio plants. It's probably the last batch I'll get before the frost kills them (can't bring them inside because my cats try to eat the leaves), and I was wondering what I could do with them.

Some sort of pickle? It's not nearly enough to ferment into sauce, plus I've got like a gallon of my hatch chili sauce left.

They freeze pretty well.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I tried making yogurt with UHT milk last night and it was very convenient. I strained it for 1-2 hours which I think results in a pretty nice consistency in between normal yogurt and greek yogurt

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mystes posted:

I tried making yogurt with UHT milk last night and it was very convenient. I strained it for 1-2 hours which I think results in a pretty nice consistency in between normal yogurt and greek yogurt

Nice! Just to clarify, ultrapastuerized milk from the fridge, or UHT shelf stable milk?

Huh. They are pasteurized to the same temp, “UHT milk” is just specifically done in a sterile environment, filled into sterilized containers. I don’t know why the thought of using shelf milk weirds me out, if it’s essentially the same thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh ultrapastuerized milk from the fridge I didn't know there was a difference

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is there a good, sticky cling wrap anymore? I know that when I was a kid (80s), cling wrap used to stick to anything, especially itself. That was part of the appeal. Then they changed the chemicals because the old stuff was full of CFCs or BPAs or something else that was dangerous. Now the cling wrap feels thicker and less sticky, so if I'm covering a bowl (which I do almost every day now), I have to pull it taut over the bowl, and tuck it under to get it to cling. I think the press and seal stuff used to be good, but I don't know the last time I saw that anywhere. I have used the OG Saran Wrap (red box), Glad (yellow box) and am in the middle of Reynolds with the slide cutter (blue box). They all seem about the same IME.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CzarChasm posted:

Is there a good, sticky cling wrap anymore? I know that when I was a kid (80s), cling wrap used to stick to anything, especially itself. That was part of the appeal. Then they changed the chemicals because the old stuff was full of CFCs or BPAs or something else that was dangerous. Now the cling wrap feels thicker and less sticky, so if I'm covering a bowl (which I do almost every day now), I have to pull it taut over the bowl, and tuck it under to get it to cling. I think the press and seal stuff used to be good, but I don't know the last time I saw that anywhere. I have used the OG Saran Wrap (red box), Glad (yellow box) and am in the middle of Reynolds with the slide cutter (blue box). They all seem about the same IME.

I like the Costco stuff fine but I think last time I used name brand Saran Wrap it seemed stickier than Kirkland's Signature.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CzarChasm posted:

I've always gotten the heavier duty food service film from a restaurant supply store, it seems to be much better at gripping. Bonus is that you'll probably only have to buy it once every 3-5 years.

Edit: VV I haven't used them personally, but a couple friends have the reuseable silicon stretch lids and are quite happy with them. I still have a ton of cling wrap from buying it years ago and will finish that off before I get anything else. VV

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 25, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I like the Costco stuff fine but I think last time I used name brand Saran Wrap it seemed stickier than Kirkland's Signature.

Saran used to be a specific thing (polyvinyl chloride) until 2004, then it was gone for a few years, and now the brand is resurrected but it's not that. So if it's been like twenty years, you're remembering a product that's gone now.

We recently tried a biodegradable/compostable wrap that is extremely clingy... too much so, really, it's a huge pain in the rear end to get it to unroll, and then it just sticks to itself in a wad, I won't be getting it again. Instead, I recently bought a plastic lid thing you put over whatever you're microwaving, and then wash it. That was basically the only thing we were using the plastic wrap for anyway.

e. I have been informed that we also use this for dealing with e.g. pie and biscuit dough while baking, so we can't entirely give up plastic, although I think there's probably reusable alternatives for that too

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 25, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've always gotten the heavier duty food service film from a restaurant supply store, it seems to be much better at gripping. Bonus is that you'll probably only have to buy it once every 3-5 years.

Seconding this; it'll be thicker too usually.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
One trick I've found with plastic wrap is to unroll it while it's attached to the target bowl/plate/whatever. Clings way better, I would presume due to transferring electrical charge. So pull a bit out, hold it on one side of the bowl, and pull it as far as you need and cut it off. idk if this is like cling wrap 101, but until I figured out this maneuver I could never get it to stick to anything but itself. If you just unroll a length, cut it, and THEN try to attach it to something, it doesn't work nearly as well.

Doesn't work for all bowls, though. Works great on our glass (?) Anchor prep bowls, not so much on our Noritake color wave bowls that I occasionally use for prep. So again, leads me to believe there's some electron transfer going on somewhere during the unrolling process.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Remind me again what the DIY washing-all-the-dirt-off-vegetables solution is?

I think someone around here said it's a mix of water and lemon juice, but what's the ratio?

I got some of those herbs growing in actual dirt at the store and I want to make something with them, but I wanna clean them first and I'm worried that just rinsing with water may not be enough. Doesn't help that I just watched that old Forensic Files episode about all those babies dying from drinking unpasteurized apple juice.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 25, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
In the Turkish kitchen I work in every summer, we soak whatever leafy greens/herbs in water with a couple of glugs of vinegar (whatever kind) for 5/10 minutes then rinse it off. Don't worry about the ratio it doesn't need to be exact

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

I. M. Gei posted:

Remind me again what the DIY washing-all-the-dirt-off-vegetables solution is?

I think someone around here said it's a mix of water and lemon juice, but what's the ratio?

I got some of those herbs growing in actual dirt at the store and I want to make something with them, but I wanna clean them first and I'm worried that just rinsing with water may not be enough. Doesn't help that I just watched that old Forensic Files episode about all those babies dying from drinking unpasteurized apple juice.

I use some ratio of water and white vinegar. Works great, especially for things like berries and grapes. Wash them, let them dry, and keep them refrigerated, and they last measurably longer.

I use like 1c vinegar in the basin full of water? Not sure what it's total volume is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use 1:2 vinegar:water, 3 minutes, rinse, dry

Nearly doubles vegetable life in the fridge

Doesnt work on leafy greens

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DaveSauce posted:

One trick I've found with plastic wrap is to unroll it while it's attached to the target bowl/plate/whatever. Clings way better, I would presume due to transferring electrical charge. So pull a bit out, hold it on one side of the bowl, and pull it as far as you need and cut it off. idk if this is like cling wrap 101, but until I figured out this maneuver I could never get it to stick to anything but itself. If you just unroll a length, cut it, and THEN try to attach it to something, it doesn't work nearly as well.

Doesn't work for all bowls, though. Works great on our glass (?) Anchor prep bowls, not so much on our Noritake color wave bowls that I occasionally use for prep. So again, leads me to believe there's some electron transfer going on somewhere during the unrolling process.

That is the go to method for most plastic wrap for me, but with this built in slide cutter that doesn't work because that causes the box end to bunch and crinkle, and that makes the cutter get snagged. No bueno.

Part of what triggered this is I changed my dog's food routine, and had to buy a new bowl for him, but his original is ceramic, and the new one is melamine or something similar and the wrap just doesn't even acknowledge it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Butterfly Valley posted:

In the Turkish kitchen I work in every summer, we soak whatever leafy greens/herbs in water with a couple of glugs of vinegar (whatever kind) for 5/10 minutes then rinse it off. Don't worry about the ratio it doesn't need to be exact

Annath posted:

I use some ratio of water and white vinegar. Works great, especially for things like berries and grapes. Wash them, let them dry, and keep them refrigerated, and they last measurably longer.

I use like 1c vinegar in the basin full of water? Not sure what it's total volume is.

Steve Yun posted:

I use 1:2 vinegar:water, 3 minutes, rinse, dry

Nearly doubles vegetable life in the fridge

Doesnt work on leafy greens

Kickass, thanks!

... actually while we're on the subjects of vinegar and people dying from apples, is there any reason to think that clear apple cider vinegar (as opposed to the cloudy Bragg poo poo) without the 'mother', that doesn't explicitly say "unpasteurized" on the label, WOULDN'T be pasteurized?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Are you pregnant? Actually just kidding even if you were it doesn't matter. Water is completely sufficient to wash fruits and vegetables and unpasteurized vinegar won't hurt you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And if a raccoon happens to poo poo in your garden, you just have an opportunity to learn about a new and interesting lifecycle

CzarChasm posted:

Is there a good, sticky cling wrap anymore?
Stretch-tite is king

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anne Whateley posted:

Stretch-tite is king

No ring

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anne Whateley posted:

Stretch-tite is king

Oh it looks like that must be who makes Costco Kirkland Signature 'stretchtite.' I got a twin pack of 750 sq ft rolls like 5? years ago and am still on roll #1.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Y'all I just made the poor life choice of handling hot rear end peppers and then touching my face, lips, and nose, and now all three are on fuckin fire and it is a slow rear end burn too. I think it's been about 15 or 20 minutes since the fire started. About how much longer am I looking at enduring this for, and is there any way to put it out faster? I've heard milk helps, but capsaicin is fat-soluble and the only milk I have is the fat free kind. :whitewater:

EDIT: I think it's starting to die down a bit now.

EDIT 2: Okay it's almost entirely gone, but drat did that hurt for about half an hour. Somehow my fingers are unharmed though, even though I was handling the peppers with ungloved hands.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 26, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I. M. Gei posted:

Y'all I just made the poor life choice of handling hot rear end peppers and then touching my face, lips, and nose, and now all three are on fuckin fire and it is a slow rear end burn too. I think it's been about 15 or 20 minutes since the fire started. About how much longer am I looking at enduring this for, and is there any way to put it out faster? I've heard milk helps, but capsaicin is fat-soluble and the only milk I have is the fat free kind. :whitewater:

EDIT: I think it's starting to die down a bit now.

EDIT 2: Okay it's almost entirely gone, but drat did that hurt for about half an hour. Somehow my fingers are unharmed though, even though I was handling the peppers with ungloved hands.

I don't like using gloves in the kitchen frequently, it seems wasteful - but this is a lesson I've only had to learn once.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I. M. Gei posted:

he only milk I have is the fat free kind. :whitewater:

I didn’t think there could possibly be more reasons not to have that weird grey water that people claim is fat-free milk, but here we are

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Scientastic posted:

I didn’t think there could possibly be more reasons not to have that weird grey water that people claim is fat-free milk, but here we are

Hey, cut me some slack. I'm on a diet, and fat free milk has more protein and carbs and fewer overall calories than whole or 2%. That's more calories I can get from other tastier foods!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 26, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
General recipe advice question fine? Two years ago my mom made a fermented honey cranberry sauce that turned out great for thanksgiving. Recipe off the internet that wasn't saved, and while it was simple, it's definitely long lost. We tried the same (similar, different recipe) thing plus a ginger+orange one the next thanksgiving and both were kinda blah. I could live without the ginger one but man that first year's sauce was really good. Does anyone have anything that could fit the bill or any advice? I think the second one didn't have a whole lot of cranberry flavor at all and the berries were tough as hell if I remember right. The first year was dead simple and other than poking them I don't think they needed much if any prep other than flipping the jar every few days. Any help would be appreciated

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I. M. Gei posted:

Hey, cut me some slack.

NEVER!

No, I get it, I used to have skimmed milk, but I realised it just made me sad, and all my cups of tea were horrible

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't like using gloves in the kitchen frequently, it seems wasteful - but this is a lesson I've only had to learn once.

Yeah, I'm going to take this advice the next time I make jalapeno relish.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Reminding me that thirty years ago I worked in a kitchen where the punishment for loving up a task for the second time got you the stem leftover of a chilli up the nose.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Are there any dishes I could make with a bunch of sliced ham besides sandwiches and potatoes au gratin?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NotNut posted:

Are there any dishes I could make with a bunch of sliced ham besides sandwiches and potatoes au gratin?

Omelette, salads, ham salad, on a pizza

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We freeze individual portions after Christmas every year, then usually have them on sandwiches, eggs Benedict, and crepes. Recently my 3yo is very picky so it also works as part of DIY Lunchables with tiny heart or star shape cutters which he still likes.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

NotNut posted:

it's quiche time baby

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That Works posted:

Omelette, salads, ham salad, on a pizza

You could also make creamed chipped beef, only with ham instead of beef. It's just salty meat in a Bechamel sauce. Typically annoying recipe here . I would add some canned pimentos/blackened peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You could also make creamed chipped beef, only with ham instead of beef. It's just salty meat in a Bechamel sauce. Typically annoying recipe here . I would add some canned pimentos/blackened peppers.

Wouldn't that have a fairly dissimilar texture, since creamed chipped beef uses dried beef strips, while ham is moist and softer?