Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no it does not!!!!

e: okay, working now, holy poo poo

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I like how the site tips are in latin

also lmao the chapter cover

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the last page is broken lol, it's only loading like a fourth of it properly

e: also the penultimate page is out of order (I think)

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 25, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tbp posted:

make sure ur computer is wearing a hazmat suit before clicking this but the translations good and its clean: https://ragnarokscanlation.com/manga/one-piece-engl/chapter-1096/p/1/

this is so loving grim

100% Zoro lost musical chairs by getting lost while playing.

Rest of chapter owns. I sorta hope the backstory this time is short and succinct, it's OK to keep some things ambiguous, and it feels like it could even wrap up with the next chapter hopefully

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
given that the "treasure" of pirate island was on god valley and the rocks were after it, maybe thats kuma's fruit since he's now the hand of liberation? which is like... a hand is necessary to play a drum of liberation, right? at the very least, it sounds like the paw paw fruit is intertwined with nika.

or maybe its just the weird egg on rogers ship.

i guess we'll see rocks' face later if odas still hiding it.

also, iva rules. goddamn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Someone remind me what the important missing pieces of Kaido's backstory we never got were? Because I feel like, when/if we ever return to God Valley in a flashback, that seems like a good opportunity to explore that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

anime was right posted:

given that the "treasure" of pirate island was on god valley and the rocks were after it, maybe thats kuma's fruit since he's now the hand of liberation? which is like... a hand is necessary to play a drum of liberation, right? at the very least, it sounds like the paw paw fruit is intertwined with nika.

or maybe its just the weird egg on rogers ship.

i guess we'll see rocks' face later if odas still hiding it.

also, iva rules. goddamn.

Yeah gently caress the chapter was so good

Kind of leans into the ViVi gets the Paw Paw fruit to be with the Nika fruit yeah?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The paw paw fruit getting called "the hand of liberation" definitely suggests it's coming back with someone important

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the other thing that interested me was saturn saying kuma was destined to be born and die a slave. given that a few chapters ago kuma said "what are your orders master?" i genuinely think hes going to egghead and will save the strawhats one more time and die for it, becoming the most tragic character in all of one piece. like just a gut-wrenching moment where he never got a good life and still was happy with it all. i really think odas going to gently caress us up with kuma.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lol! "In the end, we don't know what happened on the island."

More than made up for by Kuma standing up to a Gorosei and in the end Kuma and Ginny ugly crying with happiness. I just want them to be happy! Oh god the rest of this flashback is going to wreck me...

Also, it was so cool to see Rocks pirates! Shiki! Captain John gets his first lines I think! And Gloriosa was on the Rocks pirates!? I don't think we knew that before! (She's "Elder Nyon" from Amazon Lily, if anyone else took a moment to put it together.)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Whatever Oda is planning it's going to hit like a god drat truck, awesome chapter again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I feel like they're not going to show what happened in the flashback, cause it's literally about to happen again in the present; and they'd be showing the same 'nuke the island' sequence twice

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Do we know who the guy in the helmet below Nyon is? I assume the shadowy guy in the very corner below him is Rocks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Do we know who the guy in the helmet below Nyon is? I assume the shadowy guy in the very corner below him is Rocks.

its ochoku, but i dont think hes shown in full in the spread above.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Makes sense.
We did see 6 devil fruit chests last chapter incidentally, and only two are explicitly accounted for. The quake-quake seems like a gimme but I wonder what else is there.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Grateful that after last weeks chapter of misery we get a solid four pages of kid Kuma saving 500 lives and being happy.

Hell yeah seeing the full Rocks crew, young Roger with the straw hat, and Garp. Can't wait for the full God's Valley explainer in 100 more chapters.

anime was right posted:

the other thing that interested me was saturn saying kuma was destined to be born and die a slave. given that a few chapters ago kuma said "what are your orders master?" i genuinely think hes going to egghead and will save the strawhats one more time and die for it, becoming the most tragic character in all of one piece. like just a gut-wrenching moment where he never got a good life and still was happy with it all. i really think odas going to gently caress us up with kuma.

Expecting this to happen as well, but disagree with the last bit there. This chap helps establish that there's at least a moment (we'll see next week for how long) that he was living a happy life. If he goes out in a blaze of glory to save Nika and his daughter, that feels like a high note – even if he's a robot/slave while doing it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7530/one-piece-chapter-1096?date=25-10-2023-10

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Grateful that after last weeks chapter of misery we get a solid four pages of kid Kuma saving 500 lives and being happy.
Call me crazy but I almost wish we'd sacrificed the wide shots of the old guard to get more time with Kuma. Would have been nice to actually see him save some people! I really need some nice catharsis after all the Celestial Psycopathy of the past two chapters

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It does feel like we're missing a page where Kuma escapes from Saturn and then paws the people free. Assume that's Oda saving those panels for a flashback from Saturn's perspective when Kuma kills/surprises him in the present.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what do you think the stolen treasure from hachinosu is?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

anime was right posted:

its ochoku, but i dont think hes shown in full in the spread above.

Can't be, Ochoku was supposedly involved in the Rocky Port Incident, where Blackbeard overthrew him and seized control of the Pirate Island, so he's supposed to be alive. Meanwhile, we have this random zombie.

Also is that claw guy in the Rocks background the claw zombie...?

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 25, 2023

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Marluxia posted:

Can't be, Ochoku was supposedly involved in the Rocky Port Incident, where Blackbeard overthrew him and seized control of the Pirate Island, so he's supposed to be alive. Meanwhile, we have this random zombie.

Jesus dude, how did you dig up that panel so fast? Chapter's been out for maybe 2 hours.

e: The zombie with claws is also in the Rocks Crew panel.

And holy gently caress what a lineup for Rocks' crew. I didn't see Shakki though. I thought she was a Rocks member?

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 25, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sub Harrison posted:

Jesus dude, how did you dig up that panel so fast? Chapter's been out for maybe 2 hours.

And holy gently caress what a lineup for Rocks' crew. I didn't see Shakki though. I thought she was a Rocks member?

I dont think she was. Gloriosa was though and she had some exchange with stussy that I didnt really understand.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Sub Harrison posted:

The "Moria zombies are former Rocks members" has been a theory for a while, we always knew Captain John was at least one of them. Ever since some Rocks pirate members got named, people started making the connections. I didn't make that panel, I just googled for it.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

ACTUALLY!!!!!!!

Thriller Bark the pirate ship was actually an island from the West Blue! Is God Valley actually Thriller Bark? That would explain why its missing and how he has all those zombies

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
disconnected thoughts:

- ginny looks a lot like atlas to me, the hair style is distinctive. i wonder if vegapunk made one of his bodies like that in tribute?

- wonder what was going on with the CDs talking about winning it for their family? they seem not as generic copy and paste celestial dragon, so maybe we'll learn more about them

- it's really impossible not to appreciate ivankov even more now. the reveal that they were a slave, and all of their dialogue so far, it's just perfect. that sort of defiance, that will to live and the ability to infect other dejected/destroyed people with that sort of passion... iva is truly a great character.

- the small detail of kuma listening to ivankov's speech with an arrow just jutting out of his back is brutal. it's so... casually cruel.

- oda has done a loving speedrun on making us hate garland. he's so utterly despicable. i feel a visceral reaction to him on panel now in a way that someone like kaido never made me feel

- ginny's agency in manipulating the loving Roger Pirates and Rocks Pirates (fortunately, ig) to attack God's Valley is a really nice detail. i love that they aren't defeated by the CDs, they're so active in pushing back. it fills me with hope and it's honestly a nice juxtaposition that people like Roger, Rocks, Whitebeard, Big mom, Kaido, etc. are being used as pawns in a child slave's plan for escape

- does garp come to understand what was actually happening on god valley? i guess the sort of chaotic melee it became does absolve him a bit for "protecting" the CDs and the slaves, especially if he didn't know what was really going on. but man, he doesn't look great here! if it is shown that he fully understands the Human Hunt and he STILL props up the marines and defends the CDs (even if not directly), well, he's a pretty big piece of poo poo.

- kuma's defiance to saturn was perfect. he told him to his fat loving face that his belief system is dogshit and stupid. i really cannot wait to see this piece of poo poo get his face caved in.

- kuma eating the paw fruit and saving 500 slaves... he's so loving chad. what a guy

- The Hands of Liberation

- "i'll never forget your face as long as I live" loving STINGS with the context of marineford now

- i feel like i recognize the two kids picking on Kuma after he makes it to the Sorbet Kingdom, but i can't place them rn

- and lastly, that final panel of them crying tears of happiness because they can eat until they're full for once... oda is legitimately a master. the amount of dread i feel reading that panel, knowing where things go.... god drat PLEASE luffy get back up and teach these pieces of poo poo a lesson

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sub Harrison posted:

They had SOME connection, but they didn't say what. But at 38 years ago, Shakky should've already retired and opened her bar.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It sounded like Garp was kept in the dark as to whats happening in God Valley when he was sent there. Hard to keep it covered up for long though.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Good ch

The pews in the church have little hollowed out areas on the place where you'd rest your back, is it just me or is that pretty weird? All I can think of is that Skypiea people could put their wings there. Seeing a church in One Piece is weird on its own, though. It looks like it even has a cross on the steeple. Very excited for the next chapter.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

bitmap posted:

what do you think the stolen treasure from hachinosu is?

Think it could be the big Egg we saw on Roger's ship?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

tbp posted:

- does garp come to understand what was actually happening on god valley? i guess the sort of chaotic melee it became does absolve him a bit for "protecting" the CDs and the slaves, especially if he didn't know what was really going on. but man, he doesn't look great here! if it is shown that he fully understands the Human Hunt and he STILL props up the marines and defends the CDs (even if not directly), well, he's a pretty big piece of poo poo.

ACAB, pal.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

drat. How long has it been since we actually saw Kong. Surprising cameo in a chapter FULL of cameos .

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

No Wave posted:

I dont think she was. Gloriosa was though and she had some exchange with stussy that I didnt really understand.

I think Gloriosa was insulting Stussy for hanging off Whitebeard, and Stussy said she hardly had room to talk which makes sense since Gloriosa is probably part of the Rocks Pirates because of her love sickness.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Absolutely loving the reveal that Ginny was the MVP of the God Valley incident and one of the most important players in the plot of OP just by orchestrating it - at this point confirming that she's Bonney and/or Luffy's mom would just be icing on an already incredible character. Kuma and Iva's stock just keeps rocketing upwards with every new thing we find out about them - all of the 'heroes' of God Valley are just so loving cool. I think we're done with God Valley for now and Kuma & co. must have pawed off the island before the big poo poo went down, it's just amazing how much we learned in one chapter and yet there's still so much mystery left. Sucks that Kidd got chumped by Shanks because out of all the 'protags' in this manga he seems like the only one vicious enough to give Garland what he really deserves, I just can't see any of the remaining characters having it in them to dish out the kind of cruelty he has coming to him.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Super Rad posted:

Absolutely loving the reveal that Ginny was the MVP of the God Valley incident and one of the most important players in the plot of OP just by orchestrating it - at this point confirming that she's Bonney and/or Luffy's mom would just be icing on an already incredible character. Kuma and Iva's stock just keeps rocketing upwards with every new thing we find out about them - all of the 'heroes' of God Valley are just so loving cool. I think we're done with God Valley for now and Kuma & co. must have pawed off the island before the big poo poo went down, it's just amazing how much we learned in one chapter and yet there's still so much mystery left. Sucks that Kidd got chumped by Shanks because out of all the 'protags' in this manga he seems like the only one vicious enough to give Garland what he really deserves, I just can't see any of the remaining characters having it in them to dish out the kind of cruelty he has coming to him.

I mean, the easy answer is what you just said, Shanks. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Am I the only one who thinks Rocks' shadowed face kinda looks like Johnny Guiltygear? Like I feel like there's the shadow of a big hat there.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i really loving hate the celestial dragons. pieces of poo poo

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
The amount of work put in to make us hate these people is impressive at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Marluxia posted:

I mean, the easy answer is what you just said, Shanks. :v:

I do think that's where this will go but boy would I have rather had the 'evil' pirate that likes to crucify his opponents have a go at him instead