Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

the way word saves now sucks

just use a explorer dialogue

this is so frustrating. And then it shows the explorer dialog as a final step.
That and there's no way to really send out a link to your office document that isn't a link that opens in a web browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the narrative that windows phone was killed "too soon" or that there was one thing that led to its failure is pure nostalgia

many, many individual bad choices were made over the course of years to get it to what was essentially an untenable market position

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
rip lunix archduke

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the narrative that windows phone was killed "too soon" or that there was one thing that led to its failure is pure nostalgia

many, many individual bad choices were made over the course of years to get it to what was essentially an untenable market position
how many times did they do a complete clean-sheet reboot from scratch of the entire project? three, four, more? no wonder app makers stopped bothering to make winpho versions of their products

"please support our os - sure you may to completely scrap and redo everything in 18 months, but its totally worth it for that 2% market share we represent" - not a great value proposition

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I had to point to one, "we're going to charge oems per handset for the operating system" was probably its original sin and worst idea

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

if I had to point to one, "we're going to charge oems per handset for the operating system" was probably its original sin and worst idea
ballmer-era msft thinking that the leverage that windows/office gave them operated across all technical markets and domains was a reliable source of laughs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

ballmer-era msft thinking that the leverage that windows/office gave them operated across all technical markets and domains was a reliable source of laughs
yeah it kinda takes balls to walk into a meeting and be like "so how would you fellas like to make half a billion dollars less next year? :D "

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

i'd say the whole policy of "no native code, everyone will rewrite everything in c#/vb.net/silverlight just because we tell them to", which basically ensured that the original winphone had next to no apps or games, was a pretty major factor as well

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

but it worked for Google!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the biggest problem with windows phones was just that it's hard to break into the market when there are already iphones and android (i.e. good luck convincing developers to make apps for another platform)

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

The_Franz posted:

i'd say the whole policy of "no native code, everyone will rewrite everything in c#/vb.net/silverlight just because we tell them to", which basically ensured that the original winphone had next to no apps or games, was a pretty major factor as well

If windows phone was successful I can only imagine the wonderful and horrible things that would have come out of the vb.net community.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
given their current development and release practices, i loving pine for balmer era microsoft

the products may have been poo poo, but they were poo poo in a consistent and reliable way that you plan around and you knew they'd stay that way until the next major release or service pack

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Windows Phone was too late for phone stuff and too early for general arm stuff. Just stick the phone UI and driver bits back in to win11 arm and bring it back.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Macrohard should make their own phone OS that's more like iOS/Android but still has a bit of Win11 aesthetix

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

JAnon posted:

Macrohard should make their own phone OS that's more like iOS/Android but still has a bit of Win11 aesthetix

no?

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

yes!

and by aesthetics I mean VISUAL aesthetics

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll only buy the windows phone if the UI resembles windows 2000 or older

Any windows after that had no aesthetics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

Also bring back Windows 7

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JAnon posted:

yes!

and by aesthetics I mean VISUAL aesthetics

this is generally called “visual design” fyi

also everything is flat and big fonts now and people seem to generally hate it

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

infernal machines posted:

given their current development and release practices, i loving pine for balmer era microsoft

the products may have been poo poo, but they were poo poo in a consistent and reliable way that you plan around and you knew they'd stay that way until the next major release or service pack

Agreed. The one thing you could depend on MS for was software that worked without problems for it’s intended use case. It might have security problems, gobble up your rams, and have some kludgy attempt at backwards compa~1 but it did its job.

Now its all glitchy and in your face along with all the other problems. Oh and windows has also progressed to the point where fiddling with the CLI or registry is part of the normal user experience and not some nerd poo poo. It’s like they gave up on trying to have any kind of brand.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Old One posted:

backwards compa~1

lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

Agreed. The one thing you could depend on MS for was software that worked without problems for it’s intended use case. It might have security problems, gobble up your rams, and have some kludgy attempt at backwards compa~1 but it did its job.

Now its all glitchy and in your face along with all the other problems. Oh and windows has also progressed to the point where fiddling with the CLI or registry is part of the normal user experience and not some nerd poo poo. It’s like they gave up on trying to have any kind of brand.

their stock is up 3% cos azure, google is down 10% because gcp. i guess you are just not a business genius like satya

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

the Clippy flash-toons MS made with Gilbert Gottfried as Clippy were good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Old One posted:

oh for sure. it was boring and predictable and it allowed you to come up with a way to use it to accomplish a task.

they're so far up their own asses with rolling release feature bukkake that it's impossible to actually do anything with this garbage. even if you figure out a usable workflow to accomplish a task, it will be broken and in six different places next week.

they seem to have no idea what they even make software for anymore. they're just writing code and pushing features for the sake of it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

user training is literally impossible because nothing is in the same place long enough for documentation to be worthwhile

microsoft's own documentation, for literally everything, is now wrong and out of date in thousands of major and subtle ways. it's completely loving useless except as a historical guide for how you might have accomplished whatever in the five minutes around when it was published.

they can't even loving sell me licenses to use their products, not the least because no one knows what the gently caress anything is called anymore. and if you do happen to nail down a name, there's basically no way to guarantee you're licensed to use any given subset of features, because half the features are unknown to the people making the licensing requirements

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 26, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's ok, you can go to answers.microsoft.com and some dipshit will have completely failed to read the question and answered something irrelevant

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

oh for sure. it was boring and predictable l

turn on your monitor

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pseudorandom name posted:

that's ok, you can go to answers.microsoft.com and some dipshit will have completely failed to read the question and answered something irrelevant

run sfc /scannow

(accepted answer due to lack of response from the OP)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

so do people on there post the same thing multiple times? or is it just the one answer that shows at the top as the promoted/most voted answer, and then again in context further below?

wait, it's all 3 right

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Internet Old One posted:

windows: backwards compa~1 guaranteed!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wouldn't it be compat~1

:goonsay:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Tankakern posted:

wouldn't it be compat~1

:goonsay:

THANKYOU. this was bothering me but like 80% of my posts are pedantry and being a dick so I left it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

shitface posted:

THANKYOU. this was bothering me but like 80% of my posts are pedantry and being a dick so I left it

:justpost:

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

:chedge:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I like how there's several pixels of padding between the one-pixel wide scrollbar and the edge of the screen in a maximized window, it really highlights that UX design is dead and gone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like how there's several pixels of padding between the one-pixel wide scrollbar and the edge of the screen in a maximized window, it really highlights that UX design is dead and gone

quite the contrary, there's more of it than ever

it's just all being done in separate silos and not centrally managed or given oversight because that would "create dependencies"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s good how in windows 11 the button you have to press to get to the power restart thing now moves rather than always being in the same place each time. keeps me on my toes

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

updated win11 vm and rebooted and they'd jammed "co-pilot" chat-gpt bullshit in. it was able to help me resolve my problem

and it was very happy to suicide itself

use the gpedit method it suggests to kill it completely (or as completely as any of the bullshit in win 11 can be)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

ask it how to install a good operating system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

r u ready to WALK posted:

ask it how to install a good operating system

The Kobayashi Maru is a training exercise in the Star Trek franchise designed to test the character of Starfleet Academy cadets in a no-win scenario. The Kobayashi Maru test was first depicted in the 1982 film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and it has since been referred to and depicted in numerous other Star Trek media.