Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Zephyris posted:

Hope none of you are turbo long SOFI!

All Spacs Must Die

I would never buy a bank that would loan me money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Zephyris posted:

Hope none of you are turbo long SOFI!

lol

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
This week the SP500 rose 5.9% and the 10y Treasury yield dropped 0.4%.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Thank you Janet 🥰

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Picked up a few more shares the last couple of days... 540 shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @2.13 & 400 shares of OpGen (OPGN) @0.72

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm dum and just added more AAL and F to my portfolio for reasons I can't understand even myself.

But I'm justifying it because I've absolutely killed it on NVO this year.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Loaded up on some QS today. I've been on the sidelines keeping track of them for awhile, finally seemed like a good time to get in (knowing fully well it's still a huge gamble).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

If I understand correctly the yields on long term treasuries rising this year caused the Fed to imply that they may not need to raise interest rates anymore which in one week caused the yields on long term treasuries to tank the equivalent of two rate hikes (0.5%), completely undermining the original argument for why the Fed was likely done with rate hikes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Subvisual Haze posted:

If I understand correctly the yields on long term treasuries rising this year caused the Fed to imply that they may not need to raise interest rates anymore which in one week caused the yields on long term treasuries to tank the equivalent of two rate hikes (0.5%), completely undermining the original argument for why the Fed was likely done with rate hikes.

I’m not a big fed fan since they’re liars but they know their announcements will move the market and they need to build that into their projections.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Starting to pick up Hawaiian Electric Industries (HE) yesterday - 27 shares @12.05

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm with you on this one [C] at $42.49

Should I bail on this turkey now that it's effectively breakeven? I did not expect it to dip back to March 2020 levels

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ARTPUP posted:

Starting to pick up Hawaiian Electric Industries (HE) yesterday - 27 shares @12.05

What the hell happened with these guys?

E: Oh the fires

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I have done absolutely zero work on this, just posting because it's a little interesting. Always heard WBA was well-run (but that was years back).

https://twitter.com/OverlookedAlpha/status/1724207126627979289

Power of Pecota posted:

Should I bail on this turkey now that it's effectively breakeven? I did not expect it to dip back to March 2020 levels

Nobody knows. By book value metrics it's very cheap, practically trading like it's distressed. How much do you believe in management's ability to simplify the business structure and increase profitability? Even if it ends up working C could be dead money for a long time.

(That said I've been mulling over buying some myself)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Agronox posted:

I have done absolutely zero work on this, just posting because it's a little interesting. Always heard WBA was well-run (but that was years back).

I figured they would have had problems related to the phenylephrine ruling, since flu and cold meds are probably good profit drivers during winter, but I didn't expect the years of decline beforehand

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Agronox posted:

The Walgreens near me locked up $1 candy bars and it takes like 10 minutes just to buy toilet paper and soap because they only pay like two people to work the whole store and everything is locked behind plexiglass. The store constantly looks like it was looted during a natural disaster or something, and about a third or more of their foot traffic is people trying and often failing to pickup or drop off FedEx packages instead of buying anything.

Company has been circling the drain for a while now. Wouldn't surprise me if they take a bankruptcy within a year.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

mrmcd posted:

The Walgreens near me locked up $1 candy bars and it takes like 10 minutes just to buy toilet paper and soap because they only pay like two people to work the whole store and everything is locked behind plexiglass. The store constantly looks like it was looted during a natural disaster or something, and about a third or more of their foot traffic is people trying and often failing to pickup or drop off FedEx packages instead of buying anything.

Company has been circling the drain for a while now. Wouldn't surprise me if they take a bankruptcy within a year.

Yep, even in nicer locations.

quick googling says they don't own much of the real estate anymore either.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

it’s kind of like how the USA took out the Soviet Union through the Strategic Defense Initiative and all its other spending

WBA lost the mile-long receipt wars to CVS

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Agronox posted:

Nobody knows. By book value metrics it's very cheap, practically trading like it's distressed. How much do you believe in management's ability to simplify the business structure and increase profitability? Even if it ends up working C could be dead money for a long time.

It's worth looking at what is driving their book value, since land is valued at historical prices, same for right of use lease "assets" which the idiot FASB made firms gross up their books by recording a right of use asset and obligation liability so there are no longer capital leases. So does Walgreens have a bunch of "right of use" assets valued at pre-covid values which are actually not worth that right now? Also CVS and Rite aid are closing stores like mad, Amazon and others are trying to horn in on being exactly the kind of "medical provider" that drug stores are. Amazon can't provide vaccinations, so there's something there, but the entire drug store industry probably requires a contraction and consolidation, and the way that commercial real estate is leveraged means there's massive disincentives for commercial real estate to cut costs, since they effectively have debt covenants tied to $/sq foot prices.

All that means there's probably some profit to be had in buying CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens stock at some point, if you can figure out which one is likely to emerge "victorious" from the coming bloodbath, which is probably driven by operating cash flows and current leverage.

So you know a strong case for some thorough fundamental analysis into the sector.

Otherwise dump it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

All that means there's probably some profit to be had in buying CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens stock at some point, if you can figure out which one is likely to emerge "victorious" from the coming bloodbath, which is probably driven by operating cash flows and current leverage.

I mean, maybe not Rite-Aid? I've never traded pink sheets, but Rite-Aid once traded for > $1,000/share (split-adj) and post-bankruptcy it's delisted from exchanges and $RADCQ trades for $0.2490 with a market cap small enough to be referred to as two $NDRA's

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lol from the rite-aid restructuring shareholder faq
https://www.riteaidrestructuring.com/
https://assets.website-files.com/64dceedf41e50de9cc85d5ca/65441fdf4b8c36b901b68396_Shareholder%20FAQ.pdf

quote:

What will happen to Rite Aid’s common stock when the Company emerges
from Chapter 11? Will shareholders receive any recovery or compensation?
• It is too early to definitively say what will ultimately happen to Rite Aid’s
• common stock.
• That said, we do not expect shareholders to receive any recovery at the end of
the restructuring process, consistent with legal priorities.

7. Should I sell my Rite Aid common stock?
• We are not in a position to offer investment advice.
• Please contact your investment advisor or brokerage firm to discuss the
options available to you.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

It's worth looking at what is driving their book value, since land is valued at historical prices, same for right of use lease "assets" which the idiot FASB made firms gross up their books by recording a right of use asset and obligation liability so there are no longer capital leases.

Just for clarity's sake--the second part of my comment was a reply about Citigroup. Easy to miss because only one letter indicated that :)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

That's how you know they're payed by the word/hr because "lol, yes if you can find someone stupid" is way more economical

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Agronox posted:

I'm going to let it ride but also I have a bunch of stuff that I should have bailed on a long time ago sitting around on my account. Shoutout to MX and HMBL which I learned about from the thread, the latter of which is now trading so low on Vanguard that I have to make a phone call to them to sell.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Well good call not to sell C yesterday I guess

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Well good call not to sell C anything yesterday I guess

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the dollar. yesterday was a great day to sell the dollar. this is amusing since the catalyst was a report showing slowing inflation. rates rule everything!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The kind of gambling where you get to write off net losses from your income.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Speaking of banks, if anyone else follows them this tweet has a nice roundup of some of their ratios as of the end of Q3.

https://twitter.com/ArmsGarrett/status/1724815534523404420

edit: do tweets no longer embed?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
drat INTC what are you on? I should have scooped up more of you when you were down at $26

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

drat INTC what are you on? I should have scooped up more of you when you were down at $26

The only thing I can think is the relatively strong results for their AI accelerator that came out about a week ago.

Intel Press Release: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-gaudi-ai-accelerator-brings-greater-ai-choice.html

Commentary: https://www.servethehome.com/nvidia-shows-intel-gaudi2-is-4x-better-performance-per-dollar-than-its-h100/

mlperf training benchmark results: https://mlcommons.org/benchmarks/training/

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

$38 to $45 in the last week just because. A lot of the market has been on a complete tear since the start of November with the usual tech stuff being the craziest.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Subvisual Haze posted:

$38 to $45 in the last week just because. A lot of the market has been on a complete tear since the start of November with the usual tech stuff being the craziest.

We're definitely looking past the next 12 months and counting on rates being back to, I dunno, "low again", next year this time.

I'm feeling like this might be a little irrational exuberance, but I'll take it. Might try to trim some more here though soon.

edit, just was looking at intels graph, and kind of surprising that if you had bought it in 1999, you'd be just about breakeven now.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 20, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Argentina stocks are blowing up because they elected their own Trump?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Red posted:

He basically promised to sell off the country to foreign capital if elected

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 20, 2023

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

Shear Modulus posted:

He basically promised to sell off the country to foreign capital if elected

So, Argentina overwhelmingly voted in a TV Star that promised they’d fix the dire mess they’re in by doing absolutely insane things when voted into office?

https://youtu.be/Yi0uX2sZuFg?si=v5g-OqZCVBObSTEu

TreeOcto
Feb 23, 2023

Shear Modulus posted:

Why do you say this?

https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/climate-energy/us-announce-nuclear-fusion-strategy-cop28-2023-11-20/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's not a fusion reactor design within decades of generating any amount, commercial or otherwise, of electrical output and even if there were nobody would build one because the upfront capex is even more ridiculous than fission

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Helion Energy, who recently partnered with Microsoft, claims they are expecting to deliver commercial electricity from fusion in 2028.

Of course, it wouldnt be wrong to be skeptical - it might be five years away forever. However, they have already achieved fusion in their prototypes, and are expecting to complete a electricity generating prototype next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

The former secretary of state will announce his plan to lay out the strategy that foresees strengthened cooperation with other countries aiming to speed commercialization

this is just an incredible sentence fragment

We're hoping to lay out a schedule to begin planning the first steps of our process for strategizing the initial phase of the preliminary talks that may lead to beginning the process of moving towards a schedule for entering the era of fusion energy!

to help out more,

quote:

In August, scientists using laser beams at a national lab in California repeated a fusion breakthrough called ignition where for an instant the amount of energy coming from the fusion reaction surpassed that concentrated on the target.
This is the commonly quoted "technically true but wildly misleading" bit that was in the news in August. The reaction produced more energy than was added directly to it: but the net energy of the entire process was still wildly, massively negative... and also you shoot all the lasers once for a tiny amount of time, get a tiny burst of heat from a brief moment of fusion, and then stop so you can refurbish and rebuild your entire apparatus for months.

We are have been "2 to 3 decades away" from practical fusion power for 50 years and we are still 2-3 decades away.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 21, 2023