Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought he was an EBUG. Had no clue who he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mantha played … good?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All aboard the rollercoaster.

https://twitter.com/OptaSTATS/status/1717368724905201728?s=20

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mcmagic posted:

that second one was brutal

and the third one

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Let's check in and see how the Blues retool is going:

Ah, I see.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mike_V posted:

Let's check in and see how the Blues retool is going:

Ah, I see.

Happy to see the Sharks are in tank mode to start the season. Of course, with a roster like theirs, you're never not in tank mode.

Really gotta hand it to Grier. When nobody wanted to touch this team with a stick because its owner categorically refused to rebuild, my man made enough "this team doesn't need a rebuild" noises to get hired, and then engineered circumstances that assured a total demolition job while maintaining a veneer of plausible deniability.

Anyway, because this team has no hope of attaining even mediocrity this season, I'm kinda curious to see how bad they can be. Will they break their own modern era winless start to a season record? Will they break their own loss record? All I know is if they keep playing like this and drafting like they did this year we might actually have an interesting team in 2-3 years.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Levitate posted:

it's more because coaches would just put out their 4th lines and enforcers to start fights " to send a message" that the league was cracking down on when they made that rule

If it's more "organic fighting" then they probably shrug and let it go
The Sens literally started another fight on the very next shift after the Brady/Tuch fight. So....

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Habibi posted:

Happy to see the Sharks are in tank mode to start the season. Of course, with a roster like theirs, you're never not in tank mode.

Really gotta hand it to Grier. When nobody wanted to touch this team with a stick because its owner categorically refused to rebuild, my man made enough "this team doesn't need a rebuild" noises to get hired, and then engineered circumstances that assured a total demolition job while maintaining a veneer of plausible deniability.

Anyway, because this team has no hope of attaining even mediocrity this season, I'm kinda curious to see how bad they can be. Will they break their own modern era winless start to a season record? Will they break their own loss record? All I know is if they keep playing like this and drafting like they did this year we might actually have an interesting team in 2-3 years.

If I'm reading internet sources correctly, the Sharks got the Penguins' 1st round pick next summer for Karlsson. It's top 10 protected. So far it looks not at all unlikely that that protection will come into play. Which then gives the Sharks the Pens' unprotected 1st round pick in 2025. Which is going to have a real chance at being a top-3 pick.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

If I'm reading internet sources correctly, the Sharks got the Penguins' 1st round pick next summer for Karlsson. It's top 10 protected. So far it looks not at all unlikely that that protection will come into play. Which then gives the Sharks the Pens' unprotected 1st round pick in 2025. Which is going to have a real chance at being a top-3 pick.

Yeah, that's right. I didn't expect the Pens to drop off significantly this year with the EK add, so if the pick bumps to 2025 and ends up top-10 it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1717559251877470421

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the Sharks could turn things around real quickly if (when) they stink for the next two years. If they can get one of the top 2 picks this year, which seems reasonably likely, Celebrini and Eiserman are good pieces to build around. Probably not a generational talent level prospect but maybe like Matty Beniers level, which you probably take in a heartbeat if you're them. Will Smith should be good, and they got plenty of younger guys who can fill out the depth. Having Pittsburgh's pick is interesting. Ideally you probably hope that Pittsburgh is done for good and you end up with the unprotected pick in 2025, but even if it's in like that 11-20 range this year, that helps a lot even if they flip it. If Pittsburgh keeps their first this year though, sucks next year, and the Sharks suck next year, I could see them having 2 picks in the top 10 of 2025 which could be big for them. No idea what the 2025 draft looks like though. Michael Misa and James Hagens are the only names I've really heard of related to it. Misa is one of those guys who got granted exceptional status to play in the OHL. Hagens because he played with Eiserman at the USNTDP and looked really good.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

master of subterfuge Pierre Dorion playing the long game yet again…

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This probably explains a lot

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Haha what the gently caress

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NHL players are only banned from betting on NHL games. They can bet on others sports.

So either that's what he did (although the statement doesn't say) or he was gambling illegally or something.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lmao at getting yourself suspended 41 games for making bets in a contract year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hearing that Shane Pinto has been hosting cock fights in his basement

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Serie A isn't the league you want to be copying idiots!!!!

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
NHL is clearly just making the rules up as it goes along:

https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1717567380467990702?s=46&t=JGipJoH3wkxHlVpI9Q8vww

https://x.com/sungarrioch/status/1717567205678682217?s=46&t=JGipJoH3wkxHlVpI9Q8vww

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol shane pinto u dumbass

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I can't wait to find out how dumb he is and how he got caught

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm starting to think that these sports leagues hoovering up all this sponsorship money from gambling sites isn't the best idea.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kraken specialty jersey logos revealed.

https://twitter.com/SeattleKraken/status/1717217199952478510

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm betting Pinto leaked confidential lineup/roster info he shouldn't have. Check out my gamblr.nhl page and vote with your wallet!

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
If he didn't bet on hockey, what could have been the issue? I really can't imagine what the "impropriety" could be

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Probably what eXXon posted, leaking info to help others bet on hockey. For which he was probably remunerated although they might not be able to prove it.

But it's also possible that he just has a serious gambling problem even if it's strictly on other sports. You don't really want a player deeply in hock to the kind of people who will take payment in fingers if you don't have it in cash--or, if you prefer to keep all your fingers, you could just see to it that your team gives up a shorthanded goal during tomorrow's game.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 26, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How much money is the dumb league costing charities by not letting teams wear these on ice before auctioning them off?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Why would anyone in the NHL think it's okay to gamble?

Just because the league has a team in Vegas and Wayne Gretzky and Connor McDavid are promoting it and the panels are talking about it constantly doesn't make it ok.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Don't ask about Rick Tocchet either

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Who placed a bet at +5000 that an NHL player would get suspended for betting on sports this year? DraftKings has a deal going on right now where if you bet your firstborn you get a free $100 bet on today's Anaheim Ducks game.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the Sharks could turn things around real quickly if (when) they stink for the next two years.

Two years is I think possible but at the limits of optimism. The Sharks are in this weird place where they have a lot of middling young players and prospects left over from Wilson's hapless drafting era and a growing pool of far more capable locking prospects that's been developed under Grier (one reason I think he's putting one over ownership rather than that he's just incompetent). While those leftover dudes will make a solid supporting cast, they don't represent a core you want to build a team around, so the Sharks will need to wait for their new crop to mature. Aside from Smith, there are 3 other guys from this last draft alone who are looking real good in their post-draft year - the type of "real good" you'd need to go back to Timo Meier to see - so in an optimistic world the Sharks could become interesting in two years.

Ugh. Wilson's regime just killed this team's development.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pinto gets a bigger punishment than the Blackhawks

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1717568812629828024

This is very lame across the board and my enthusiasm is dampened if I have to support the Boston Wicked instead of the Boston Pride

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston Wicked is so insanely stupid/funny, I hope they do it

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
at least they didn’t go with the alternate names for some of the other cities like the New York Hamiltons or the Ottawa Kinky Boots

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This is very lame across the board and my enthusiasm is dampened if I have to support the Boston Wicked instead of the Boston Pride

Yeah, disappointed they couldn't keep the Minnesota Whitecaps. Minnesota Superior just sounds like someone is saying the name of a lake without understanding grammar.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Lol the singular/irregular plural noun trend for sports teams needs to be stopped. They are almost always bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WeaponX posted:

Lol the singular/irregular plural noun trend for sports teams needs to be stopped. They are almost always bad.

Toronto Maple Leafs

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Boston Wicked is so insanely stupid/funny, I hope they do it

Wicked fackin smaht

Adbot