Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was thinking Blackbeard->Imu, but with these recent chapters I'm now thinking WG/Imu where everything gets exposed and then the race to One Piece with Blackbeard kinda like how Steel Ball Run went down.

Taking the fight to the WG after claiming the One Piece and learning the truth about the world feels more climactic to me but on the other hand Blackbeard has basically been Luffy's arch-nemesis for a while now. We'll see how it goes I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

hatty posted:

still think it’s funny that Big Mom went from being potato shaped as a kid to being a smoke show in her thirties and then reverts back to a potato when she hits her fifties. Lady has weird genetics

I dont think its that weird. Had some baby fat when she was younger, stretched out during young adulthood, and the got potato shaped again after having 50+ children/menopause.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

i thought he handled the severity vs kaido well. you had kaido screaming "this is a nation of SLAVES!!" and luffy just flat out told him "i do not remotely give a poo poo about your ambitions, so long as you're around tama cannot eat, i'm going to send you to fuckin hell"
Yeah I don’t think Luffy has kept thinking about any antagonist beyond the point where he punched their lights out. The easiest resolution to the Celestials problem will be for them to be sent to the same mental pocket universe where Arlong, Kuro, Krieg and Hody Jones are hanging out

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Taking the fight to the WG after claiming the One Piece and learning the truth about the world feels more climactic to me but on the other hand Blackbeard has basically been Luffy's arch-nemesis for a while now. We'll see how it goes I guess

I was thinking that too, but it feels like Luffy is about get some very good reasons to start a war with the WG sooner than later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah I don’t think Luffy has kept thinking about any antagonist beyond the point where he punched their lights out. The easiest resolution to the Celestials problem will be for them to be sent to the same mental pocket universe where Arlong, Kuro, Krieg and Hody Jones are hanging out

I believe Hachi mentioned that Arlong was currently in prison at least so the same could be true with the others (Doffy is also locked up deep in Mariejois if I recall correctly)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Eustace posted:

I dont think its that weird. Had some baby fat when she was younger, stretched out during young adulthood, and the got potato shaped again after having 50+ children/menopause.

i honestly do not think that menopause exists in the OP world. you can have a child if your will is strong enough to do so, probably.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

I believe Hachi mentioned that Arlong was currently in prison at least so the same could be true with the others (Doffy is also locked up deep in Mariejois if I recall correctly)

alvida is with buggy
morgan was going to be imprisoned, but is mia
krieg is probably dead
kuro is mia
arlong is in prison
buggy is an emperor (lmao)
crocodile is working under buggy (double lmao)
- several baroque works members are in prison, but most escaped to start a cafe or something
bellamy is painting flags or something
enel is on the moon
foxy is having a blast somewhere else
the cp9 are now either the cp0 or just doing whatever
basically everyone in the paramount war is out there still
magellan got demoted
hody jones is in prison
most of the indirect villains of punk hazard are dead
doffy is in prison
caesar is hanging with judge
judge is hanging with caesar
katakuri is presumably leading the big mom pirates
big mom is presumably dead
kaido (and many of his subordinates) are presumably dead

so only three major antagonists are in prison, some are dead (or presumed dead), but most of them are free

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

we say "presumably" for kaido and big mom which is fair and all but does anyone like, actually think they're dead? big mom was screaming about not dying as she fell down into the abyss, there's no chance they don't come back in some fashion or form i think

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think the treasure that got stolen from pirate island that has rocks so heated up to come get it is, in fact, our missing fourth poneglyph. it having a stable and known location makes sense since lol moving poneglyph, it makes sense that the most powerful pirate of the time would set up shop on top of it as pirate island, and it makes sense why the wg would see a powerful charismatic dude with d in his name sitting on a poneglyph and swoop in to steal the whole thing while hes off the island doing something else. it would also explain how roger got access to it but no one else has since, though oden isnt here yet but maybe he had a rubbing or something idk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was thinking that too, but it feels like Luffy is about get some very good reasons to start a war with the WG sooner than later.

I don't think Luffy will start a war with the World Government.

I think he will end it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

tbp posted:

we say "presumably" for kaido and big mom which is fair and all but does anyone like, actually think they're dead? big mom was screaming about not dying as she fell down into the abyss, there's no chance they don't come back in some fashion or form i think

Big Mom turned her bones into homies before she got blasted so I expect her to come back as a vengeful skeleton and marry Brook

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Imagining Ivankov with Kaido's fruit :vince:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tbp posted:

They're absolutely not dead. Gonna see them in some "reacting to news" cover arc living on a desert island together in two years, it'll be cute.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tbp posted:

"Big Mom will never die!"

NEXT: BIG MOM DIES IN MAGMA

Plutonis posted:

I think he will end it.

:hai:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

tbp posted:

Yes they are obviously alive and will team up with Luffy at some point the same way Law and Kidd did

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think kaido could plausibly be dead. I don't think bigmom is though with puddings insistence that she isnt.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Big Mom and Kaido got punched all the way through the world and are just living in Windmill Village with amnesia.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pyroi posted:

Big Mom and Kaido got punched all the way through the world and are just living in Windmill Village with amnesia.
I’m pretty sure they’d be somewhere in Paradise. Hopefully it’s Long Ring Long Land.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Kaido and big mom are encased in wano's seastone magma and will burst out when wano finally actually opens up, the cliffs surrounding it break down and the ancient weapon hidden under it is revealed.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Plutonis posted:

I think he will end it.

Officially he declared war on the WG back on Enies Lobby

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Saturn looks exactly the same 40 years ago as he does now, these fuckers are absolutely immortal or some kinda actual demons.

Cat Machine posted:

The Celestials are too destructive and institutionalized to just get beat up and forgotten. There is no way the series ends with them still holding power in any way. It's just a question of whether they get wiped out by pirates, the marines, a slave rebellion, the revolutionaries or Imu on-screen, or if they lose power and Oda cuts away from them right before they're torn apart by [insert group here]. They're currently being starved out by the Revolutionaries and pissing off Akainu so their plot is slowly escalating to some kind of breaking point I think.

tbp posted:

I do. They have too much power, influence and narrative weight to be left as loose ends imo. Also they're both so monstrous that I would just like them to actually be dead.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Honestly a hard cut to Berserk level detail and gore for maybe... two pages while the Celestial Dragons get their comeuppance would be an incredible bit. It wouldn't ever happen, but man would it rock.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you think BM is dead what is the point of the amnesia mom/mom vs ulti plotline?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The Celestial Dragons have been characterized as people who, even if they were handed the most generous deal ever along the lines of "you'll get away with everything scott free but you're going to have to live like a normal person from now on", would never take it. Not even in a defiant way, but just being Too Dumb to Live. I don't think anyone has to worry about them not getting their comeuppance.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nephthys posted:

The Celestials are too destructive and institutionalized to just get beat up and forgotten. There is no way the series ends with them still holding power in any way. It's just a question of whether they get wiped out by pirates, the marines, a slave rebellion, the revolutionaries or Imu on-screen, or if they lose power and Oda cuts away from them right before they're torn apart by [insert group here]. They're currently being starved out by the Revolutionaries and pissing off Akainu so their plot is slowly escalating to some kind of breaking point I think.
The Celestials have a one-way relationship with the OP world. When they’re overthrown, a bunch of things (the tributes, the slavery, the genocide, etc.) will hopefully stop, but I don’t think the socio-political fabric of the planet will be affected all that much. The CDs don’t seem to put much effort into how the world beyond the Red Line is run, and the surface kingdoms - if they still exist - will keep on living without much impact. I feel like SWORD has been invented by Oda as the “don’t worry, there will be good law and good order and good cops post-revolution” thing that helps him simplify the bigger social implications.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
It's too damned anticlimactic but I'd be pretty satisfied if the Revolutionary Army's extended blockade of Mary Geoise just... worked. Like the CDs just start killing each other as the food runs low, or better yet over extremely trivial poo poo like who gets to eat the last lobster/ostriche egg etc.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Haha, those plucky revolutionaries and their ocean going theft and plundering. What rogues.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kaido and Big Mom are playing an endless hell of Davy Back fights with Foxy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My guess is we get a cover story about Kaido and Big Mom battling mole people or something

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

My guess is big mom and kaido are dead as hell due to falling into magma and then the magma they were in exploding into a huge eruption

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My issue with Kaido is, when he was trying to kill himself, wouldn't he have tried magma as a method already

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

The Celestials have a one-way relationship with the OP world. When they’re overthrown, a bunch of things (the tributes, the slavery, the genocide, etc.) will hopefully stop, but I don’t think the socio-political fabric of the planet will be affected all that much. The CDs don’t seem to put much effort into how the world beyond the Red Line is run, and the surface kingdoms - if they still exist - will keep on living without much impact. I feel like SWORD has been invented by Oda as the “don’t worry, there will be good law and good order and good cops post-revolution” thing that helps him simplify the bigger social implications.

I feel like the Heavenly Tribute at least raises the question of “where will the money to pay the good cops come from?” Not to mention humanitarian aid to the World Nobles’ former slaves, people displaced by the likely geological consequences of Ancient Weapons being used, etc. They can confiscate the World Nobles’ assets, but if Marie Geoise gets destroyed in the final battle there may not be much in the way of assets left to confiscate.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Akainu gonna goop up mam and kaido. Somehow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Have you considered that Kaido is a coward and magma is ouchie

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I feel like the Heavenly Tribute at least raises the question of “where will the money to pay the good cops come from?” Not to mention humanitarian aid to the World Nobles’ former slaves, people displaced by the likely geological consequences of Ancient Weapons being used, etc. They can confiscate the World Nobles’ assets, but if Marie Geoise gets destroyed in the final battle there may not be much in the way of assets left to confiscate.
One Piece will end with Luffy publishing a 272-page humanitarian aid and debt relief plan for civilians displaced by him punching a hole through the planet

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

you mention it but one pretty important worldbuilding facet that keeps coming back up: the heavenly tribute. they demand so loving much from the below kingdoms that it's almost absurd. the entire reason kaido is who he is comes down to the Vodka Kingdom making him a child soldier because they needed his fighting ability to pay the tribute and then selling him to the WG in order to sit at the table with the rest of the world.

you mention the tribute at the start but i think Oda is trying to tell us "nah they don't show their faces that often but what they demand is truly and sicnerely loving up the world"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rubberduke posted:

Is everyone sleeping on the fact that Luffy wears Rogers' hat?

Boy howdy Roger really looks a lot different here than his usual self, when Father Time takes his swipe he doesn't hold back does he?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My theory is we are gonna see Luffy punch Im first, then Blackbeard will show up and steal whatever it is that makes Im the ruler of the world, and Luffy will need to punch BB next to save the world, probably on Laugh Tale.

Just like Marineford except this time BB won’t back down Shanks will be dead and the Marines will be defeated with Im

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My issue with Kaido is, when he was trying to kill himself, wouldn't he have tried magma as a method already

What if magma is hard to find? It's not like there's a man made of magma out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont think kaido was actually trying to kill himself in a serious fashion. he was just depressed as hell. sort of like a very dramatic form of self-harm