Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Cat Machine posted:

One Piece will end with Luffy publishing a 272-page humanitarian aid and debt relief plan for civilians displaced by him punching a hole through the planet

It will end with Luffy answering a den den mushi and saying, "This is Luffy, the man who is king of the pirates"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

To whoever asked a few pages back if the two kids we see Kuma helping appear afterwards someone may have found a match

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

papasyhotcakes posted:

To whoever asked a few pages back if the two kids we see Kuma helping appear afterwards someone may have found a match

what the gently caress

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

papasyhotcakes posted:

holy poo poo

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

papasyhotcakes posted:

:piss:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Real Cool Catfish posted:

What the heck is the treasure stolen from pirate island. Any theories?

Going to go out on a limb and guess its someone rather than something, just because this whole clusterfuck wasn't horrific enough already.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

hatty posted:

still think it’s funny that Big Mom went from being potato shaped as a kid to being a smoke show in her thirties and then reverts back to a potato when she hits her fifties. Lady has weird genetics

Oda has a thing where people who lose their way/lose hope/suffer in some way, tend to get gonky, it's not exclusively like that but checking Shakky vs Elder Nyon, or the best example is the Good End/Bad End Nami's

It's not that old people become ugly, but... okay so Roald Dahl wrote once

And it feels like Oda subscribes to this, why does Stussy look so ugly? Because Stussy is a bad future. The future where Rocks dies and the Rocks pirates fall apart, since well, imagine if Luffy died and the Strawhats were left in a world without him, they'd probably all become dark of heart.

Now you can say this is "Beauty equals goodness" but no, we've seen women who aren't traditionally beautiful who are good people, but, if we specifically talk about Big Mum, a terror who finds purpose with the Rocks pirates and grows with them, to losing them and going on her own again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Onmi posted:

Oda has a thing where people who lose their way/lose hope/suffer in some way, tend to get gonky, it's not exclusively like that but checking Shakky vs Elder Nyon, or the best example is the Good End/Bad End Nami's

And it feels like Oda subscribes to this, why does Stussy look so ugly? Because Stussy is a bad future. The future where Rocks dies and the Rocks pirates fall apart, since well, imagine if Luffy died and the Strawhats were left in a world without him, they'd probably all become dark of heart.

Now you can say this is "Beauty equals goodness" but no, we've seen women who aren't traditionally beautiful who are good people, but, if we specifically talk about Big Mum, a terror who finds purpose with the Rocks pirates and grows with them, to losing them and going on her own again.

i think that every character in the series is a normal looking person that we’re seeing from luffy’s pov

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Onmi posted:

Disappointing to learn Oda just copy/pasted Big Mom’s design from Roald Dahl

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mike D. Vee

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Big Mom looks a lot happier/healthier/friendlier when she has amnesia too, or is having a good time with Kaido. So I'm gonna say I agree with some of that thought. You can see the change in her face from violent matriarch to jovial grandma.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

papasyhotcakes posted:

holy poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bonney being a glutton and never stopping eating made a lot of sense given her powers (and also because it's a common trope of comics that some people just eat a shitload of food!) but there's something to be said for the notion that she was probably brought up with the mindset that you NEVER waste food and you should always eat your fill

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like Kuma and Ginney setting up shop in a church is a roundabout way to explain Kuma's vague priest aesthetic and his bible.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Remember that Big Mom already withdrew her soul fragment from Zeus; Zeus survived by merging with the Climate Tact. So Zeus's existence is independent of Big Mom now.

She didn't remove her soul fragment from Zeus, he was just able to escape using the thunder ball trail that Nami left behind. Big Mom has no clue that Zeus is still alive while Nami stole her greatest powerup by complete accident.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Kind of disappointed that we got to the Fireworks Factory, only to cut away just as things got exciting. I'm looking forward to learning more about Kuma's backstory, but it felt like we just did a speedrun of that part of the flashback. I hope we get more soon (possibly through Saturn's recollection or Bonney remembering Kuma's memories she saw) as I was hyped throughout Break week for a Rocks/Roger/Garp/Royal Knights showdown, only for it to be skipped.

On one hand I definitely wish we got to see more of it, on the other hand I like that we got to see the parts that were the most important to Kuma. Everyone in the audience was hyped to see all the Big Names of the past generation go at it while they were in their prime, but to Kuma none of those names mattered. It was just a violent, destructive conflict that claimed the lives of almost everyone around him, but where he found an opportunity to free himself and save many others as well. It's a good way to remind people that they aren't fighting just for the sake of fighting, there are lives at stake being fought over.

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012

White Light posted:

She didn't remove her soul fragment from Zeus, he was just able to escape using the thunder ball trail that Nami left behind. Big Mom has no clue that Zeus is still alive while Nami stole her greatest powerup by complete accident.

What you are talking about happened in Whole Cake Island. There is a follow up with Big Mom and Zeus at Onigashima where Zeus loses her soul fragment and survives by merging with the Climatact. I.e both are true.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Still love the bit where Zeus asks for a new name he’s a new life form, only to just reject Nami’s horrible/amazing name (Fluff/Cotton) without even acknowledging it.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

ok bad future 60 year old nami, I would like to buy some of your magical pot

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bitmap posted:

ok bad future 60 year old nami, I would like to buy some of your magical pot

It's just crushed up tangerine leaves.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

What the heck is the treasure stolen from pirate island. Any theories?

Buggy D. Clown or a Road Poneglyph

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

ok good future 40 year old Nami, I'm an adult :prepop:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Onmi posted:

Since we know what good future Buggy tuned out to be, what would bad future Buggy have turned out like?

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

logger posted:

Since we know what good future Buggy tuned out to be, what would bad future Buggy have turned out like?

Just the nose.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

logger posted:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Gyges posted:

It's just crushed up tangerine leaves.

what are ya gonna do, call the marines?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I have a hard time imagining any of the fruits at god valley are the treasure stolen from pirate island. it certainly wouldnt be the gum gum, because the elders were looking for it for generations. roger saying something about the last few years being tough for him makes me think its...ace's mum? or something we havent even had hinted at yet? one piece will run for another twenty years.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that was one of my favorite chapters in the story and one of those handful that could work as its own standalone one shot removed from the context of one piece

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

papasyhotcakes posted:

This is such an incredible detail

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I guess we can assume the Bonney Pirates are Sorbet Kingdom people who know the truth behind Kuma’s disgrace. Shame they aren’t with her at Egghead :(

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Another fun theory from the reddit: someone noticed that Oda keeps drawing Rock's flag with a single white dot in the left eye. Maaaaaybe a hint that Rocks is the eye-patch wearing fella. There's also the awakened fruit spiral in the hair.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also the very long-running theory about the "missing left eye" of Jaya/Skypeia being Laugh Tale. This is only gonna add fuel to that lol.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Left eyes matter" is a running theme for sure. The whole Monkey family tree that we know of all has decorations or scars around their left eye. Shanks, Zoro do too.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

"Left eyes matter" is a running theme for sure. The whole Monkey family tree that we know of all has decorations or scars around their left eye. Shanks, Zoro do too.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The violence inflicted on Whitebeard during the Summit War was really something else. Imagine how crazy its post-timeskip equivalent will be

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Wachter posted:

The violence inflicted on Whitebeard during the Summit War was really something else. Imagine how crazy its post-timeskip equivalent will be
Kuma :whitewater:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
What if we have another timeskip.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wachter posted:

The monologue going over all the insane abuse he took offscreen, combined with knowing he was very much not well, really does sell how much of a monster he must have been in his prime. And how much more impressive that is knowing that he’s just a guy with a strong fruit, compared to Big Mom being stronger than most giants as a toddler and Kaido being a super tough ogre man.

Goddamn was Whitebeard cool.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
All that and not a single wound on his back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cirvot posted:

What you are talking about happened in Whole Cake Island. There is a follow up with Big Mom and Zeus at Onigashima where Zeus loses her soul fragment and survives by merging with the Climatact. I.e both are true.

Right here dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSsFx6x2mYU

As Hera bit into Zeus, he was pressed into the clima-tact from the pressure, he was never actually eaten, no idea where you're getting this 'lose her soul fragment' info from. Zeus is as powerful as he is because he comes from BM's soul directly, none of the other homies she's created come nearly as close to that power.