Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wanna say there is a horror movie not Grabbers where the people figure out the only way to see the menace is to get stoned out of their minds but I can't recall which movie it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doltos posted:

Stoners in horror movies go

Spencer getting totally baked in the Final Nightmare

Freeburg getting totally baked in Freddy vs. Jason.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

I wanna say there is a horror movie not Grabbers where the people figure out the only way to see the menace is to get stoned out of their minds but I can't recall which movie it is

Cabin in the Woods I think implies that the one guy's super weed is why the brain control stuff doesn't work on him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've finally watched every Phantasm movie. That series goes some loving ways. Definitely watch the first 2, the last 3 are under your own concern if you wanna get waist deep in that madness.

Nobody can accuse Don Coscarelli of not doubling the gently caress down on his weird ideas, at least.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Danknificent posted:

I, too, am disappointed by no It Follows sequel. I did not expect to like that movie as much as I did. I rarely rewatch anything that's not some tentpole classic that I grew up with, but I've seen It Follows 2 or 3 times easily. There's something about it that just works for me.

I feel that way about Cam. Come on, it's a Blumhouse joint, surely you can bash out a couple of cheap sequels about evil identity theft computer entities loving about with people.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Doltos posted:

Stoners in horror movies go

Spencer getting totally baked in the Final Nightmare
Still pissed we got Jason Meets Cheech & Chong taken from us.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Also, since Blumhouse is currently funding Richard Linklater's latest project about actors aging over many years they should get him to do a slasher or two. I don't know about anyone else but I'd be down for Dazed and Confused or Everybody Wants Some but then a Jason-alike shows up.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 26, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Huh, this Paul Mescal guy is on the rise. Never heard of him. He's in the next Linklater and he's the lead in Gladiator 2.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching The Exorcist: Believer and I'm gonna be honest, the first 40 minutes are already unbelievably boring and low-key weird for a movie ostensibly about demonic possession.

edit:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Huh, this Paul Mescal guy is on the rise. Never heard of him. He's in the next Linklater and he's the lead in Gladiator 2.

Go watch Aftersun right now.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Mescal's Linklater movie isn't coming out for nearly two decades

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Go watch Aftersun right now.
Oh poo poo, thats him huh? Okay that makes me excited for all those projects, I really liked Aftersun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Mescal's Linklater movie isn't coming out for nearly two decades

Yeah its insane. A movie that takes 20 years is ridiculous just use old people make up.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh poo poo, thats him huh? Okay that makes me excited for all those projects, I really liked Aftersun.

gently caress yeah. Love me some Paul Mescal. He was also great in the miniseries Normal People on Hulu, I'd also highly recommend that one too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
finished The Fall of the House of Usher last night, not Flanagan's best series (Midnight Mass is still one of my favorite horror Things of the past few years) but I thought it was fun overall. Carla Gugino and Henry Thomas were the highlights. Kind of wish each episode was more self-contained with just Carla Gugino's character being the thread that connected everything, the framing narrative was the least interesting part to me and much of very end fell pretty flat lol at the double whammy of "Lenore is a chatbot now" and "Madeline is a fuckin mummy or whatever".

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Still pissed we got Jason Meets Cheech & Chong taken from us.

This would have been great. Do it like Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein where Jason is killing people and it’s totally serious while C&C kind of wander around the movie totally oblivious to it until the last 15 minutes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Yeah its insane. A movie that takes 20 years is ridiculous just use old people make up.

You'll never get me to argue against Linklater using the drama equivalent of practical effects. Let your freak flag fly, Linky

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought boyhood was lame as hell and not very relatable so I doubt his 20 year nonsense will be too

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I quit that one after episode 2. Mike Flanagan can't do grand guignol. There's some terrific effects, prosthetic and makeup work in the last 15 minutes of that episode but Flanagan just can't sell it. I rewatched Corman's Red Death and Gaspar Noe's Climax instead of finishing the series and I stongly suspect that's time better spent.

Is Flanagan still hell bent on doing Dark Tower? Becuase that seems doomed to fail. Is there any way we can redirect him towards an adaptation Michael McDowell's Blackwater because that's perfect for his sensibility and strengths?

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 26, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The really visionary thing would be to shoot the movie over 20 years but use makeup so the actors don’t visibly age.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I thought boyhood was lame as hell and not very relatable so I doubt his 20 year nonsense will be too
Yeahh I feel this

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've finally watched every Phantasm movie. That series goes some loving ways. Definitely watch the first 2, the last 3 are under your own concern if you wanna get waist deep in that madness.

Nobody can accuse Don Coscarelli of not doubling the gently caress down on his weird ideas, at least.

Coscarelli's autobiography 'True Indie' is pretty cool, I had a nice time listening to his voice on audiobook.

I kinda knew his career trajectory, but it's nuts that he was literally making a feature film when he was 18 years old and taking meetings with big studios with his dad beside him.

He tells some really great Phantasm stories, too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

gey muckle mowser posted:

finished The Fall of the House of Usher last night, not Flanagan's best series (Midnight Mass is still one of my favorite horror Things of the past few years) but I thought it was fun overall. Carla Gugino and Henry Thomas were the highlights. Kind of wish each episode was more self-contained with just Carla Gugino's character being the thread that connected everything, the framing narrative was the least interesting part to me and much of very end fell pretty flat lol at the double whammy of "Lenore is a chatbot now" and "Madeline is a fuckin mummy or whatever".

I just like the ending of Mr. Usher admitting that he knew that his drugs were bullshit all along and he didn't care about the kids he was sacrificing.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I finished the chainsaw sign (aka the "hail to the king" sign) in time for the market I'm doing tomorrow. I couldn't figure out how to animate this one so hopefully that can be done for the next version.

All in all I'm reasonably happy with it, at least when the lights are off

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The most interesting thing about the Phantasm sequels to me is figuring out how many sci fi and horror hits he’s liberally borrowing from.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Deadite posted:

I finished the chainsaw sign (aka the "hail to the king" sign) in time for the market I'm doing tomorrow. I couldn't figure out how to animate this one so hopefully that can be done for the next version.

That's fantastic!!!!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deadite posted:

Oh that's cool as gently caress, well done!

STAC Goat posted:

The most interesting thing about the Phantasm sequels to me is figuring out how many sci fi and horror hits he’s liberally borrowing from.

Yeah, especially given the huge gaps between each sequel, you can basically see "These are the movies Coscarelli liked in the intervening years since the last one".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Evil dead trap 2 was really cool. As good as 1

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Deadite posted:

Badass

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
wow Lords of Salem really is one of the top movies when it comes to old ladies getting to chew scenery huh. Rob Zombie is obnoxious as gently caress (I'm starting to think of him as the Tarantino of horror, and that aint a compliment, more like I can see all his influences as plain as day and I'd rather be watching all those much much MUCH better films) and my god those "dreads" his wife has make me wanna puke, but still, good fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I’ve been saying for years that Rob Zombie is like if Tarantino still made good movies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
his actress/director relationship with his wife reminds me of Polanski and Emmanuelle Seigner too...just obviously way less creepy...

the wholesome version of that was Roberto Benigni always casting his wife as MAMA MIA DA MOST BEAUUUUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WOOORLD

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

See also: Paul W.S. Anderson and Milla Jovavich

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvI3F95w8ns

I'm in

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

im there day one

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

When I watch trailers I categorize them as one song, two song, or three song trailers

One song trailers are the strongest. Focused, undiluted, especially when the editing and action are to the beat. A+

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Eh didn't really grab me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
i was gonna say i was impressed that people still have the old timey name Zelda but then I saw she (the director) got named after the videogame

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

i was gonna say i was impressed that people still have the old timey name Zelda but then I saw she (the director) got named after the videogame

Zelda is the name of the princess, Link is the name of the video game.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

We have so many treats to show you