Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

time to talk about sigh and boris

they're locks but also Loudness, United, X Japan, and probably Melt-Banana and Japanese D-Beat like G.I.S.M., Disclose, and Gauze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also all props to Boris, but as far as i'm concerned Sigh is the king of Asian metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po3FsWgy3jU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

symbolic posted:

not only free entry but iirc a good number of cons offer comp'd room for it, and also some people are just really passionate about the subject they wanna talk about, and hell, i applaud em for it

what con btw, am curious

Derpycon, its a really modest con, but its only 10minutes away, and it makes good use of the hotel and conference rooms it has.
I do miss the bigger ones like Otakon though. Used to go with the same group 3-4 years in a row over a decade ago.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

symbolic posted:

come to an east coast con and i'll attend. i'm tryin to cook up a panel idea myself, mayhaps japanese metal...?

hmmmmm ill think about it when i have a job. band maid and flower travellin ftw btw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I really need to find the time/money to get back down to either Ohayocon or Matsuricon again, even if just for one day

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
melt banana also win i just dunno if id call them metal

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Derpycon, its a really modest con, but its only 10minutes away, and it makes good use of the hotel and conference rooms it has.
I do miss the bigger ones like Otakon though. Used to go with the same group 3-4 years in a row over a decade ago.

ahhhhh kk, was curious cuz i almost went to J1-con next weekend but the friend i was gonna go with backed out so RIP

Ohtori Akio posted:

hmmmmm ill think about it when i have a job. band maid and flower travellin ftw btw

:hai:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i built my pc in a fractal torrent and it's too loving big, never again will i do a full tower

That’s the problem with mine, but the case Arc got is a cut down, happy medium.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I really need to find the time/money to get back down to either Ohayocon or Matsuricon again, even if just for one day

i'd avoid Ohayocon for the time being because there's been some really messy drama in the past few weeks about a hostile takeover from the new chairman of the organization that runs it that laid off a ton of volunteer staff due to them trying to unionize. not sure about the full picture but that's what i've become aware of

Ohtori Akio posted:

melt banana also win i just dunno if id call them metal

they really aren't but truth be told i don't know enough JP metal to justify an hour's panel about just it, so incorporating punk too seems logical

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

they're locks but also Loudness, United, X Japan, and probably Melt-Banana and Japanese D-Beat like G.I.S.M., Disclose, and Gauze

yeah i think covering the early scene, visual kei, and cooler genre specific stuff covers your bases.

japanese power metal is world class also. everyone knows galneryus but there are a ton of sick bands like dragon guardian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6GtJ55VaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD31iicGvq4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Last time I went to a con was like.. man, 2008? Me and my then girlfriend got .hack facepaint done there, it was cool

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

yeah i think covering the early scene, visual kei, and cooler genre specific stuff covers your bases.

japanese power metal is world class also. everyone knows galneryus but there are a ton of sick bands like dragon guardian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6GtJ55VaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD31iicGvq4

power metal has always been hit-or-miss with me depending on how dorky it is but Japan can do no wrong, so,

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last time I went to a con was like.. man, 2008? Me and my then girlfriend got .hack facepaint done there, it was cool

going to cons nowadays is fuckin whack because the typical perception of it being 20-40 y/o unwashed dudes is utterly false. there's so much diversity and it's fuckin rad

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
imo the point of power metal is blistering sincerity. it fits the japanese music scene well i think

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

imo the point of power metal is blistering sincerity. it fits the japanese music scene well i think

i guess that's true, i think i just lean toward the more traditional power metal from like Helloween and Running Wild rather than the keyboard and meedly-guitar stuff like Dragonforce and Gloryhammer

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

symbolic posted:

i guess that's true, i think i just lean toward the more traditional power metal from like Helloween and Running Wild rather than the keyboard and meedly-guitar stuff like Dragonforce and Gloryhammer

(bravely) unleash the archers is win

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

symbolic posted:

going to cons nowadays is fuckin whack because the typical perception of it being 20-40 y/o unwashed dudes is utterly false. there's so much diversity and it's fuckin rad

Yeah! I need to go to one again, just a shame my local buddy has two young daughters now that makes it hard to group up and do things

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

power metal has always been hit-or-miss with me depending on how dorky it is but Japan can do no wrong, so,

not being able to understand the interstitial bits where someone talks about emerald sword fantasy adventures is a massive improvement to the genre

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

not being able to understand the interstitial bits where someone talks about emerald sword fantasy adventures is a massive improvement to the genre

(sobbing) thats the best part...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

symbolic posted:

ahhhhh kk, was curious cuz i almost went to J1-con next weekend but the friend i was gonna go with backed out so RIP

:hai:

Yea, I'm actually going there too. But it seems kind of meh.
I went there many years ago, when it was there first year at Atlantic City, so it was really super casual, and it was just a bunch of vendors and a few video rooms. Felt like a waste. (But at least I could just go next door to gamble)

Looks about the same, though they say they did step it up a bit. Look still looks like they just have 2 panel rooms, and one video room. But they do have some neat voice actors there. And they have the host from the old Nick Arcade gameshow from the 90s there as a guest.

I have my rooms and food comp'ed so its just a hey, might as well go there, and also blow some money at the roulette tables.
I do miss AnimeNext when it was there before covid, it was actually a decent sized convention, but they moved this year to Edison, and it was a disaster, it was like 1/5 the size.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

i can't disagree but this is where i plug Lost Horizon as the greatest power metal band of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYdbLfLnIHk

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah! I need to go to one again, just a shame my local buddy has two young daughters now that makes it hard to group up and do things

going solo isn't terrible but i imagine there's like FB groups to connect and such

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ill click on these when im home. and for the record the best part of the metal movement as a whole is dramatic lyrics about doom, monsters, swords, mountains etc

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Yea, I'm actually going there too. But it seems kind of meh.
I went there many years ago, when it was there first year at Atlantic City, so it was really super casual, and it was just a bunch of vendors and a few video rooms. Felt like a waste. (But at least I could just go next door to gamble)

Looks about the same, though they say they did step it up a bit. Look still looks like they just have 2 panel rooms, and one video room. But they do have some neat voice actors there. And they have the host from the old Nick Arcade gameshow from the 90s there as a guest.

I have my rooms and food comp'ed so its just a hey, might as well go there, and also blow some money at the roulette tables.
I do miss AnimeNext when it was there before covid, it was actually a decent sized convention, but they moved this year to Edison, and it was a disaster, it was like 1/5 the size.

yeah it looked small but i'm starved for cons after attending two in the past three or so months with my next not til spring likely. 'tis addiction, especially if you cosplay. no greater feeling than getting stopped for pics for it, on god

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

the meedly poo poo has its place (like, dark moor did it better) but the band that perfected power metal, falconer, added in some viking/folk style and some pantera-esque groove and then got a guy with a theater background to sing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OaRmEVRCc

Ohtori Akio posted:

they're pretty cool. their cover of northwest passage is great (in addition to probably being the most canadian metal song of all time lol)

Ohtori Akio posted:

(sobbing) thats the best part...

how much do you like christopher lee

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 27, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the chris lee album fails to be epic sadly

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

the chris lee album fails to be epic sadly

yeah i remember it not being great lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the meedly poo poo has its place (like, dark moor did it better) but the band that perfected it, falconer, added in some viking/folk style and some pantera-esque groove and then got a guy with a theater background to sing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OaRmEVRCc

alright i gently caress with this hard. Falconer has always been one of my "on my radar" bands before but this solidified them. honestly getting Slough Feg vibes which is an extremely good sign

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know I lmao a lot but this is really well earned

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

alright i gently caress with this hard. Falconer has always been one of my "on my radar" bands before but this solidified them. honestly getting Slough Feg vibes which is an extremely good sign

the falconer s/t is an all-time classic and one of my few metal 10/10s and the rest of their stuff is mostly...fine, with northwind being the best of the lot. you can skip the two albums where mathias blad doesn't sing, they're bad.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the falconer s/t is an all-time classic and one of my few metal 10/10s and the rest of their stuff is mostly...fine, with northwind being the best of the lot. you can skip the two albums where mathias blad doesn't sing, they're bad.

hmmm...my 10/10s are stuff like Rust in Peace, Tales from the Thousand Lakes, and Relationship of Command...this is a tall ask...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

symbolic posted:

finally, a panel dedicated to talking about the geneshaft ost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktd0aRafc80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAdInDIK8rA

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 27, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

hmmm...my 10/10s are stuff like Rust in Peace, Tales from the Thousand Lakes, and Relationship of Command...this is a tall ask...

Rust is on there, as is RTL, Baroness - Blue Album, Cynic - Focus, Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked, Falconer - S/T, Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend, probably others but those came to mind immediately

also you're like the second person who has good metal opinions i've heard put tales from the thousand lakes near the top of their all time list so i think i need to put more time into amorphis

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

not my cup of tea but i can apprecaite it

Rust is on there, as is RTL, Baroness - Blue Album, Cynic - Focus, Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked, Falconer - S/T, Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend, probably others but those came to mind immediately

also you're like the second person who has good metal opinions i've heard put tales from the thousand lakes near the top of their all time list so i think i need to put more time into amorphis

never got into Baroness or Yob much but the others are win, other notable 10/10s of mine are like By Inheritance, Colors, Those Once Loyal, The Moon is a Dead World, and Leaving Your Body Map

also yes Tales is an unprecedentedly good folk metal album, the folksy elements of 90s Bathory but with sickass Gothenberg melodeath backing them. none of their other albums have reached those heights imo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you have a nightguard? You might be grinding your teeth in your sleep which can wear them down to the sensitive interiors and just generally cause stress to the teeth.

turns out you were right

please tell me I havent permanently ruined them, some of them loving hurt

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Without going into spoilers, a part of From the New World is really reminding me of Signalis. Shame on me for largely forgetting about this show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ohtori Akio posted:

ill click on these when im home. and for the record the best part of the metal movement as a whole is dramatic lyrics about doom, monsters, swords, mountains etc
I am a fan of optimistic metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhTBYn1vJTA

Meowywitch posted:

turns out you were right

please tell me I havent permanently ruined them, some of them loving hurt
if they haven't worn away to the insides yet, you should have a shot still, get a mouth guard and use it every night. They're annoying but better than grinding your teeth into painful dust. Talk to your dentist about getting a custom one made for you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Worried I've ruined those fuckers but I guess there's probably some fix no matter what turns out

I hope

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TheSwizzler posted:

Baki the Grappler

Win

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is a bad game actually a bad game if it entertained you or made you laugh or something

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

the job of entertainment media is to... entertain, so by that measure I guess not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm fully capable of laughing at something for being bad.