Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC it was based on a RPG sessions
This makes sense to me because it was by far the most "how can I turn this into an rpg, and why isn't there one already?" series I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Nerd-genre author revealed to have nerd hobbies, film at 11.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whoo-hoo, new Murderbot novel! First chapter at Tor.com.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how every one of those quotes shows how I misspelled.

Anyhow, currently reading the Vorrh trilogy by Brian Catling. His Hollow was recommended here as similar to Between Two Fires and while all they really have in common is the medieval/magical setting, it was a drat good read nonetheless. I'm midway through the second book (The Erstwhile) and it's better.

Imagine a colonial town in Africa that was transported brick-by-brick from Germany. At the edge of the town, there is an ancient, magical forest rumored to have been the garden of Eden. There's myth. There's colonialism. There's witchcraft. There are robots and a child brought up by them. There is a hunter and his prey, and there is a slavemaster who might have accidentally created a deity. There's even some real, historical people.

Most of all, there's a lot of unpack. Anyone else read it?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Super jealous of anyone reading Vance's Cugel books for the first time, I think page for page the most that books have made me laugh ever.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Groke posted:

Nerd-genre author revealed to have nerd hobbies, film at 11.

how dare you?

https://x.com/aptshadow/status/1715748479459262521?s=20

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers #4) by Becky Chambers - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RDCLQ4/

Glasshouse by Charles Stross - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001161L6O/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Super jealous of anyone reading Vance's Cugel books for the first time, I think page for page the most that books have made me laugh ever.
I first tried to read it when I mostly only read garbage. The idea of an unreliable narrator, or an anti-hero protagonist, never really occurred to me so I tried to engage with it at face value since that was all I knew. Needless to say it didn't go well, lol

I was so glad I could read it with fresh eyes when I got older. Just a phenomenal and hilarious series of stories.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Galaxy is the best thing I’ve read by Chambers, for once a wholly satisfying ending.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

seriously, every Chambers wayfarer book is better than the one before it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I just read "Fourth Wing" and it was very good despite being extremely horny, which did not realize when I bought it after recognizing the name and nothing else about it

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ah yes, WHFRP; I knew he was a refined gentleman of culture.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone who knows anything knows that the refined gentlemen of culture are all playing Mörk Borg now.

I'm actually in the middle of Shards of Earth at the moment and I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I have found myself wanting to try and read the LANCER rulebooks just for the science fiction.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

seriously, every Chambers wayfarer book is better than the one before it

agreed, the third and fourth ones were hands-down my favorites. The first one is just sort of straight-ahead cozy fiction in a lot of ways, and is a perfectly fine book (and a pretty good sci-fi book as long as you don't need super hard science in your sci-fi). Second one didn't really grab me as much but I appreciate that it tried to grapple with some actual potential consequences and stakes for the characters.

But the third and fourth books, I thought, did some interesting things with actually grappling with some interesting questions about grief and prejudice and the nature of family and your place in the world and society. Not like, huge complex philosophical questions, but quiet everyday realities, and in a way that was centered on characters in an interesting way, which is not something I feel like I've seen very often in sci-fi.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Anyone who knows anything knows that the refined gentlemen of culture are all playing Mörk Borg now.

I'm actually in the middle of Shards of Earth at the moment and I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Mork borg is kind of eh, it was just lots of rolling on small random tables and getting the same extremely flavorsome result half the time when I played it. Great typography though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It's an amazing artifact as a book but honestly seemed pretty ho-hum as a system, which tbf puts in the same category as a lot of recent indie darling tabletop RPGs from the past decade. still worth it to page through if you're into really metal-themed grimdark stuff though

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Quote is not edit, it turns out

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I read Sarah Zettel's Reclamation (1996) and there was a lot I liked about it, good ideas that reminded me a little of other previous good stuff like Left Hand of Darkness

but... i did feel very confused about wtf was going on a lot of the time with the various side factions and characters. usually even if it takes me 2 weeks to read a dense scifi book I don't lose too much awareness of who's who but this one had me swirling. And there weren't even that many characters, I dunno why it was so hard to get for me

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Mork borg is kind of eh, it was just lots of rolling on small random tables and getting the same extremely flavorsome result half the time when I played it. Great typography though.

Oh, bummer. Never played it myself but I thought the aesthetic was awesome/hilarious.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The game is so dark that half the time you end up eaten by a gru.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MockingQuantum posted:

It's an amazing artifact as a book but honestly seemed pretty ho-hum as a system, which tbf puts in the same category as a lot of recent indie darling tabletop RPGs from the past decade. still worth it to page through if you're into really metal-themed grimdark stuff though

Apocalypse World delivered a polished product that completely and consistently improved upon what had come before, marrying a bunch of indie mechanics in a seamless and intuitive way that informed both setting and play. I have yet to see that be repeated, even by games using its system as a base.

A ton of new games are just reskins of stuff from the 90s, with maybe a single mechanic cribbed from this indie game or that. The games that harken back to the 70s and 80s either reproduce them, warts and all, or simplify them to the point of there not being much of a game left. It's nice that there's something for every taste now, but most releases are pretty forgettable, whether they're indie or not.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blades in the dark is fantastic.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

sebmojo posted:

Blades in the dark is fantastic.

Huge fan of the system, and can/has been modified for multiple genres.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thotsky posted:

Apocalypse World delivered a polished product that completely and consistently improved upon what had come before, marrying a bunch of indie mechanics in a seamless and intuitive way that informed both setting and play. I have yet to see that be repeated, even by games using its system as a base.

A ton of new games are just reskins of stuff from the 90s, with maybe a single mechanic cribbed from this indie game or that. The games that harken back to the 70s and 80s either reproduce them, warts and all, or simplify them to the point of there not being much of a game left. It's nice that there's something for every taste now, but most releases are pretty forgettable, whether they're indie or not.

like, blades in the dark is one of the few exceptions to this post, to be clear. but it kicks rear end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, I'm probably never going to play Lancer, but I have the rulebook anyways because as a setting document and artbook it is pretty great.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, I'm probably never going to play Lancer, but I have the rulebook anyways because as a setting document and artbook it is pretty great.

Let me introduce you to like 90% of my RPG collection... I mean I hope to get Heart or Spire to the table one day, but if not, they're still fascinating in their own way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ToxicFrog posted:

isn't that game intended to be web-based and basically half a video game? i occasionally toy with running it for long-distance friends

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kesper North posted:

isn't that game intended to be web-based and basically half a video game? i occasionally toy with running it for long-distance friends

It's got a solid web-based character builder and it plays well on virtual tabletops, but those are strictly optional. Lancer runs fine on pen and paper.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Haystack posted:

It's got a solid web-based character builder and it plays well on virtual tabletops, but those are strictly optional. Lancer runs fine on pen and paper.

Nice. Lore and setting are cool as hell.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1717534167607709748

Adrian Tchaikovsky’s next book features a post-apocalyptic C3P0. I wonder if there will be Kryten references.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Finished The Steerswoman; it was in fact good.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

For anyone interested in dark fantasy/existential horror, I've got a new short story out in Mysterion magazine today. It's about a human soul who's sent to the Hell of Birds.

https://www.mysteriononline.com/2023/10/among-birds.html

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Major Ryan posted:

Nghi Vo's latest Mammoths at the Gates now means there are four awesome stories in this series. They're like 100 page shiny jewels that pop up every so often and I drop everything to read them because they're all so drat good.

This one is slightly less myths and legends than some of the previous ones, instead just being a drat good story about grief. It's no worse for it.

Just got to this. Excellent, agree entirely with this post.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Sailor Viy posted:

For anyone interested in dark fantasy/existential horror, I've got a new short story out in Mysterion magazine today. It's about a human soul who's sent to the Hell of Birds.

I remember this Thunderdome story, congrats on getting it published!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, Critical Failures is very fun. Been getting more and more into D&D stuff with D20, don't think I'll ever actually play the game besides in BG3, but I love all D&D adjacent stuff. I recommend Critical Failures if you like easy to read and funny books, been having a blast.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Finished The Steerswoman; it was in fact good.

It's my favorite unfinished series.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sailor Viy posted:

I enjoyed it!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FPyat posted:

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1717534167607709748

Adrian Tchaikovsky’s next book features a post-apocalyptic C3P0. I wonder if there will be Kryten references.

how is this guy writing poo poo this fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
I was a huge shannara fanboy in high school, so i can't not give my two cents. Sword is okay but mostly very boring, Brooks' style is dry enough but that one is way too dry for me; I have a huge problem with characters who talk the most redundant way to pad out the page count. Elfstones and Wishsong are good but I think the pinnacle of the series the Heritage quadrilogy. Voyage trilogy was pretty enjoyable but that's when the series reaally started to suck, and everything after that was just plain awful (that dark legacy trilogy was the worst poo poo i've ever read).

Also Word & Void trilogy as well as first three Magic Kingdom books are legit. These two series I would say are closer to something literary because they're all actually about something and not just a fantasy plot, I'm talking themes and motifs n poo poo